Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-13-2017, 11:51 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(07-13-2017 07:08 AM)octiceps Wrote:  I'm using single monitor. When I cycle Win+P until it returns to 'Computer only', the screen flashes and 100Hz disappears from Windows. Restarting the graphics driver makes it reappear. Here is what happens.

As for the blank screen, I've narrowed it down to putting the PC to sleep as the common culprit. If I never sleep, I have no issues whatsoever running 100Hz. I can change between 60Hz and 100Hz at will in games and Windows and it works perfectly everywhere without any artifacting or skipping frames. But if I sleep, it blank screens whenever it tries to switch to 100Hz. Here it blanks out when I set 100Hz in Windows after waking up (notice I had no issues before sleeping). It also happens on the login screen immediately after waking if I went to sleep at 100Hz, and when launching any Source Engine game (interestingly enough my other games don't trigger it). The only way to make 100Hz usable again is to restart the graphics driver or reboot and not sleep.
Those are definitely graphics driver bugs. Is this a laptop screen? If so, what model laptop? Does it have SLI?

The Win+P issue I haven't seen before. Does the same thing happen if you right-click and choose "Scan for hardware changes" in Device Manager? Does the refresh rate still appear in the "Change resolution" section of the NVIDIA control panel even when it's not showing in the Windows display settings?

The blank screen issue looks like the graphics driver is not retraining the memory correctly after the memory clock changes. First, try the "LCD standard" timing parameters to see if that works around the problem. If not, try lowering the pixel clock by multiples of 5 MHz (230 MHz, 225 MHz, 220 MHz, etc.) to find the highest pixel clock where the problem doesn't happen.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2017, 01:21 AM (Last edited: 07-14-2017, 01:24 AM by octiceps)
(07-13-2017 11:51 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Those are definitely graphics driver bugs. Is this a laptop screen? If so, what model laptop? Does it have SLI?

Yes this is a Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 laptop with GeForce 650M SLI on the latest Nvidia driver (384.80).

(07-13-2017 11:51 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  The Win+P issue I haven't seen before. Does the same thing happen if you right-click and choose "Scan for hardware changes" in Device Manager? Does the refresh rate still appear in the "Change resolution" section of the NVIDIA control panel even when it's not showing in the Windows display settings?

Exact same thing happens when I do that in Device Manager. The refresh rate still appears in Nvidia Control Panel and my desktop is still operating at 100Hz, but in Windows settings and games only 60Hz is visible/selectable.

(07-13-2017 11:51 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  The blank screen issue looks like the graphics driver is not retraining the memory correctly after the memory clock changes. First, try the "LCD standard" timing parameters to see if that works around the problem. If not, try lowering the pixel clock by multiples of 5 MHz (230 MHz, 225 MHz, 220 MHz, etc.) to find the highest pixel clock where the problem doesn't happen.

LCD Standard did not help. I'm not sure what timing parameters I should change to manually lower the pixel clock, but I changed the mode to LCD Reduced which lowered pixel clock to 220MHz and it not help either. Should I try going lower than 220MHz?
07-14-2017, 02:09 AM
(07-14-2017 01:21 AM)octiceps Wrote:  Exact same thing happens when I do that in Device Manager. The refresh rate still appears in Nvidia Control Panel and my desktop is still operating at 100Hz, but in Windows settings and games only 60Hz is visible/selectable.
That's an NVIDIA driver bug then. The refresh rate list shouldn't be mismatched like that. Do any of the issues go away if you disable SLI?

(07-14-2017 01:21 AM)octiceps Wrote:  LCD Standard did not help. I'm not sure what timing parameters I should change to manually lower the pixel clock, but I changed the mode to LCD Reduced which lowered pixel clock to 220MHz and it not help either. Should I try going lower than 220MHz?
Just use "LCD standard" and enter 1920x1080 @ 100 Hz. Then switch to "Manual" and change the pixel clock. That will reduce the refresh rate, but the point is to check if there's a pixel clock limit where the problem starts happening.
07-14-2017, 05:40 AM
(07-14-2017 02:09 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  That's an NVIDIA driver bug then. The refresh rate list shouldn't be mismatched like that. Do any of the issues go away if you disable SLI?

Same issues with SLI disabled.

But I did observe something interesting. The mismatched refresh issue happens if I don't sleep. The blank screen issue happens if I do sleep. They're opposite.

(07-14-2017 02:09 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Just use "LCD standard" and enter 1920x1080 @ 100 Hz. Then switch to "Manual" and change the pixel clock. That will reduce the refresh rate, but the point is to check if there's a pixel clock limit where the problem starts happening.

I worked my way up from 60Hz instead. The problem definitely starts when pixel clock exceeds 170MHz. So my max refresh rates without exceeding that are 68Hz (Native), 73Hz (Standard), and 76Hz (Reduced).

I'm don't know why the pixel clock limit becomes so low if I put the computer to sleep. Without sleep, 100Hz (248MHz pixel clock @ Native) works perfectly.

And now that I think about it, 100Hz even worked fine with sleep for the first few days. I'm not exactly sure how it degraded so fast or what triggered it to start happening after sleep within a few days. I just remembered it blank screening for the first time after changing my refresh rate to 100Hz in Modern Warfare 2, and it's been a problem since.

I guess it's just down to the finicky nature of overclocking. Sometimes instability doesn't rear its head until a while later.
07-14-2017, 08:27 PM
Hey, I recently had to change my card out from Nvidia to AMD last night and I used to use blur busters and now I am struggling to get my benq zowie xl2411z monitor to use CRU. If I create a custom profile with the specific settings that the blur buster utility needs, then restart my pc... blur busters says that I don't have a valid monitor driver. Then if I install the monitor driver, the profile I set up in CRU is reset to default. Also, I can't seem to figure out a way to activate a profile, how do I do that? Help would be much appreciated at this point, nothing seems to be working for me.
07-15-2017, 01:56 AM
(07-14-2017 05:40 AM)octiceps Wrote:  But I did observe something interesting. The mismatched refresh issue happens if I don't sleep. The blank screen issue happens if I do sleep. They're opposite.
Try using CRU 1.2.6 and see if choosing "No extension block" works around the problem.

(07-14-2017 05:40 AM)octiceps Wrote:  I worked my way up from 60Hz instead. The problem definitely starts when pixel clock exceeds 170MHz. So my max refresh rates without exceeding that are 68Hz (Native), 73Hz (Standard), and 76Hz (Reduced).
You can probably squeeze in 80 Hz by reducing the values like this:

H: 1920 8 8 16 32 1952
V: 1080 2 2 2 6 1086

It's better than 60 Hz at least. I don't have any workaround for 100 Hz other than running restart64.exe. You can rename it to restart-only.exe to skip the dialog. You can probably automate it to run after waking up using the task scheduler.

(07-14-2017 05:40 AM)octiceps Wrote:  I guess it's just down to the finicky nature of overclocking. Sometimes instability doesn't rear its head until a while later.
This is mainly a graphics driver bug and not a stability issue. Clearly it's not doing something that needs to be done after waking up from sleep. Restarting the graphics driver probably reinitializes the GPU.
07-15-2017, 01:57 AM
(07-14-2017 08:27 PM)fatsquirrel Wrote:  Hey, I recently had to change my card out from Nvidia to AMD last night and I used to use blur busters and now I am struggling to get my benq zowie xl2411z monitor to use CRU. If I create a custom profile with the specific settings that the blur buster utility needs, then restart my pc... blur busters says that I don't have a valid monitor driver. Then if I install the monitor driver, the profile I set up in CRU is reset to default. Also, I can't seem to figure out a way to activate a profile, how do I do that? Help would be much appreciated at this point, nothing seems to be working for me.
CRU doesn't change the name of the monitor driver, so you should be able to use both. Install the monitor driver first. Then use CRU. I don't know what you mean by activate a profile. The resolutions should be available after running restart.exe or rebooting.
07-15-2017, 07:48 AM
(07-15-2017 01:56 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Try using CRU 1.2.6 and see if choosing "No extension block" works around the problem.

Thanks! This fixed the mismatch problem.

(07-15-2017 01:56 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  You can probably squeeze in 80 Hz by reducing the values like this:

H: 1920 8 8 16 32 1952
V: 1080 2 2 2 6 1086

It's better than 60 Hz at least. I don't have any workaround for 100 Hz other than running restart64.exe. You can rename it to restart-only.exe to skip the dialog. You can probably automate it to run after waking up using the task scheduler.

80Hz isn't stable at those timings for me (lots of artifacting). The annoying thing about restarting the graphics driver constantly is that it screws the GPU memory readings of any hardware monitoring software I'm running, so I'm just gonna stick with 75Hz. It's problem-free and still a noticeable improvement over 60Hz.
07-17-2017, 08:42 PM
I'm currently trying to disable the 4096x2160 resolution on my computer/monitor as it's causing display issues in a game.

I've followed the guide located at

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...=806615157

to a t. After following all the instructions listed in that guide and restarting the driver, the 4096x2160 is still available in all selectable places.

Can anyone provide any assistance?

Hardware listed below
  • Monitor- Samsing KS8000
  • GPU- GTX 1080 ti
  • AV Receiver- Yamaha RX-V381BL
  • OS- Windows 10
07-17-2017, 10:01 PM
(07-17-2017 08:42 PM)TK423 Wrote:  I'm currently trying to disable the 4096x2160 resolution on my computer/monitor as it's causing display issues in a game.

I've followed the guide located at

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...=806615157

to a t. After following all the instructions listed in that guide and restarting the driver, the 4096x2160 is still available in all selectable places.

Can anyone provide any assistance?
Export a file (any format) and give it to me so I can see the complete configuration.