Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-02-2018, 09:21 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(07-01-2018 06:48 AM)lindquist Wrote:  I have a DVI monitor (Samsung SyncMaster SA300) that I was able to push to 1920x1080@77 Hz using a single-link DVI when I had a desktop with a NVIDIA GPU. Since then, I got a laptop with an Intel GPU that has a HDMI 1.4 port. I bought a passive HDMI-DVI adapter to still be able to use the monitor and I could reach 71.017 Hz before the monitor turns black. It seems that anything beyond this value changes the polarity and other parameters and, even though the pixel clock still is below 165 MHz, not even a "Not Optimum Mode" message shows up.

Is the HDMI a limiting factor now, or is something else required for a setup like mine to work with an Intel GPU?
What timing parameters were you using with the NVIDIA GPU? The same timing parameters should work regardless of the GPU, although I'm not sure how Intel handles the 165 MHz pixel clock limit with a DVI monitor.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2018, 11:18 PM
Hey Toastyx been a while since I posted but I have a question that perhaps you know.

What exactly do you mean with this:

The video card will not reduce clock speeds when idle if the vertical blanking/total is too low. Horizontal values can still be reduced if necessary.
AMD/ATI cards require the "LCD standard" vertical blanking/total to reduce the memory clock when idle.
07-05-2018, 02:33 AM
(07-02-2018 09:21 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-01-2018 06:48 AM)lindquist Wrote:  I have a DVI monitor (Samsung SyncMaster SA300) that I was able to push to 1920x1080@77 Hz using a single-link DVI when I had a desktop with a NVIDIA GPU. Since then, I got a laptop with an Intel GPU that has a HDMI 1.4 port. I bought a passive HDMI-DVI adapter to still be able to use the monitor and I could reach 71.017 Hz before the monitor turns black. It seems that anything beyond this value changes the polarity and other parameters and, even though the pixel clock still is below 165 MHz, not even a "Not Optimum Mode" message shows up.

Is the HDMI a limiting factor now, or is something else required for a setup like mine to work with an Intel GPU?
What timing parameters were you using with the NVIDIA GPU? The same timing parameters should work regardless of the GPU, although I'm not sure how Intel handles the 165 MHz pixel clock limit with a DVI monitor.
With the NVIDIA I was using the same automatic LCD reduced timings I'm using now with the Intel GPU.

After messing around with the cable and the kinda picky source/input selector of the monitor I was able to get an image to show when I go above 71.017 Hz, but while no warnings are shown from the monitor side, the image is wrong, as shown below. Any further changes regarding the cable (I even tried to use the stock HDMI that came with a PS4 thinking it would be of better quality) didn't work.

[Image: avaB2lF.jpg]
07-06-2018, 12:27 AM
Is it possible to reduce the pixel clock without reducing the Monitor's refresh rate?
07-06-2018, 05:08 AM
hi guys, anyone with these monitors that can provide me with a little review about them, which one is better and if any of these or maybe another one with the same specs that's better and if can be overclock?

34" CF791 Curved Widescreen Monitor

or

ASUS Designo Curved MX34VQ 34”
07-06-2018, 04:04 PM
(07-04-2018 11:18 PM)mtrai Wrote:  Hey Toastyx been a while since I posted but I have a question that perhaps you know.

What exactly do you mean with this:

The video card will not reduce clock speeds when idle if the vertical blanking/total is too low. Horizontal values can still be reduced if necessary.
AMD/ATI cards require the "LCD standard" vertical blanking/total to reduce the memory clock when idle.
It means what it means. I don't know how else to describe it. The memory clock can't change if the vertical blanking/total is too low, so it will always stay at full speed. RX-series cards can clock down with lower values. Older cards require the "LCD standard" vertical blanking/total.
(07-05-2018 02:33 AM)lindquist Wrote:  With the NVIDIA I was using the same automatic LCD reduced timings I'm using now with the Intel GPU.
What about with LCD standard?
(07-06-2018 12:27 AM)macaco000 Wrote:  Is it possible to reduce the pixel clock without reducing the Monitor's refresh rate?
Yes, by reducing the blanking/totals.
07-07-2018, 05:02 PM (Last edited: 07-07-2018, 05:03 PM by macaco000)
(07-06-2018 04:04 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-06-2018 12:27 AM)macaco000 Wrote:  Is it possible to reduce the pixel clock without reducing the Monitor's refresh rate?
Yes, by reducing the blanking/totals.

Thank you for the reply, do you think that's possible to reduce some of my laptop screen blur & ghosting (trails of "whiteness" and "blackness" left behind when I drag windows around and scroll text) by messing around with those settings or reducing the pixel clock... or am I talking gibberish?
My screen's response rate isn't great and I know there's not much I can do about it but... it doesn't hurt to ask I guess ^^''
07-07-2018, 06:33 PM
(07-07-2018 05:02 PM)macaco000 Wrote:  Thank you for the reply, do you think that's possible to reduce some of my laptop screen blur & ghosting (trails of "whiteness" and "blackness" left behind when I drag windows around and scroll text) by messing around with those settings or reducing the pixel clock...
No.