Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
05-28-2018, 10:46 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(05-28-2018 07:42 AM)DarkFus10n Wrote:  I have a display only going up to 63Hz. How can I manipulate the advanced section to get it higher?
You can't.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2018, 06:02 PM (Last edited: 05-29-2018, 06:03 PM by {tpc})
I have a viewsonic vx4380-4k display. When plugged in from DVI-I on the pc side to hdmi on the display side, I can only achieve 1920x1080 resolution. Since this monitor is being used as a duplicate desktop, in order to get some specialized software to work correctly I need the viewsonic to run at 1920x1200.

Will cru help me do this? The video card is a amd mobility radeon 2400 hd. I know it can run this resolution because I have attached a smaller monitor that supports 1920x1200 and it works fine.

I have tested with my laptop that the viewsonic will run 1920x1200 but only when using the display port. Should I just buy an active displayport adapter that will go from DVI-I to display port or mini display port on the viewsonic side?

My radeon setup doesn't have a display port output unfortunately, only the DVI.
05-30-2018, 09:17 PM
(05-29-2018 06:02 PM){tpc} Wrote:  I have a viewsonic vx4380-4k display. When plugged in from DVI-I on the pc side to hdmi on the display side, I can only achieve 1920x1080 resolution. Since this monitor is being used as a duplicate desktop, in order to get some specialized software to work correctly I need the viewsonic to run at 1920x1200.

Will cru help me do this?
Yes, but the monitor has to support the resolution.
05-31-2018, 12:24 PM
(05-30-2018 09:17 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-29-2018 06:02 PM){tpc} Wrote:  I have a viewsonic vx4380-4k display. When plugged in from DVI-I on the pc side to hdmi on the display side, I can only achieve 1920x1080 resolution. Since this monitor is being used as a duplicate desktop, in order to get some specialized software to work correctly I need the viewsonic to run at 1920x1200.

Will cru help me do this?
Yes, but the monitor has to support the resolution.

I have seen the monitor display this resolution (1920x1200), but only when using a displayport connection on another laptop, so that leads me to believe the monitor can support it.

I have a "active" dvi to displayport adaptor ordered, so I am going to see how that works as well. Thank you for the information, it is very helpful.
05-31-2018, 08:51 PM
Yesterday when I got home, I booted up Space Engineers and my monitor started doing this. https://imgur.com/a/W3O29YS (files too big to attach).

System Specs:
GPU: PowerColor PC+ R9 390
CPU: Intel i5-4590
Mobo: Asus Z87-Pro

Display Connection Types:
Normally the DisplayPort 1.2 to MiniDisplayPort cord that comes with the MG279Q, but tested with an HDMI cord as well.

Associated Software:
Just CRU running 1.3.1, but also tried the 1.3.99 preview build to see if it helps. It had no effect.

So far I've tried hooking up the display to the Mobo, uninstalling the GPU driver in safe mode, trying different cords, and testing another computer as well. I've localized it to the monitor itself through testing the monitor with another computer and getting the same result.

I did have the monitor overclocked using CRU, and using the .bin file from https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4z...t_143fps/. The overclock has been on for at least six months with no issue. Currently using CRU, the reset-all.exe does not reset the monitor to its default settings.

My initial thought is that the CRU software isn't applying the overclock correctly, and its causing the monitor to go to an unsupported refresh rate/resolution, but I don't have CRU .bin of the factory settings to try and force a reset. The way I believe the reset-all isn't working is because under display properties->monitor only 60 and 90 hz options are available instead of the 60, 90, 120, 144 hz that the monitor comes with.

Questions I have are:
1. Is it correct that CRU is GPU or computer specific? So if it is still acting like this on another computer, it's probably not CRU itself?
2. Does overclocking the MG279Q void the Asus limited parts warranty (monitor is only 1.5 years old)? My inclination is the warranty is voided, but has anyone had any experience with sending back a damaged Asus monitor that had been overclocked?
3. How do you even describe what is happening on screen? You may have to zoom in to see it, but it basically has split the display into thirds, overlaying the actual image. Additionally, there are large rectangular pixel blocks that are appearing.
4. Does anyone have a CRU .bin file of the default MG279Q settings?
5. Is there any other tests I should run before talking to Asus? I need to see if the lack of refresh rate options in display properties is consistent between computers, and try it on a Windows 7 machine instead of windows 10.
6. The fact that CRU's reset-all causes it to not reset correctly is concerning. I'm sadly at work right now, but I'll get some screenshots of the settings after applying the .bin mentioned above, and after a safe-mose reset-all.exe has been run when I get home.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope my $500 monitor didn't just because a paperweight.
06-01-2018, 04:26 PM
(05-31-2018 08:51 PM)Howdie91 Wrote:  1. Is it correct that CRU is GPU or computer specific? So if it is still acting like this on another computer, it's probably not CRU itself?
Yes.

(05-31-2018 08:51 PM)Howdie91 Wrote:  2. Does overclocking the MG279Q void the Asus limited parts warranty (monitor is only 1.5 years old)? My inclination is the warranty is voided, but has anyone had any experience with sending back a damaged Asus monitor that had been overclocked?
There's no way for them to know. 144 Hz is technically not an overclock anyway because the monitor is designed to work at 144 Hz.

(05-31-2018 08:51 PM)Howdie91 Wrote:  3. How do you even describe what is happening on screen? You may have to zoom in to see it, but it basically has split the display into thirds, overlaying the actual image. Additionally, there are large rectangular pixel blocks that are appearing.
It's garbled with artifacts.

(05-31-2018 08:51 PM)Howdie91 Wrote:  4. Does anyone have a CRU .bin file of the default MG279Q settings?
Running reset-all.exe and rebooting gives you the default settings.

(05-31-2018 08:51 PM)Howdie91 Wrote:  5. Is there any other tests I should run before talking to Asus? I need to see if the lack of refresh rate options in display properties is consistent between computers, and try it on a Windows 7 machine instead of windows 10.
If you haven't already, try unplugging the monitor's power for a few minutes. Sometimes that will reset a firmware glitch.

(05-31-2018 08:51 PM)Howdie91 Wrote:  6. The fact that CRU's reset-all causes it to not reset correctly is concerning. I'm sadly at work right now, but I'll get some screenshots of the settings after applying the .bin mentioned above, and after a safe-mose reset-all.exe has been run when I get home.
Missing refresh rate options is a separate issue probably related to the monitor going bad and not negotiating the correct DisplayPort rate, so there's not enough bandwidth for the higher refresh rates. You should be able to see that all the refresh rates are there in CRU.
06-02-2018, 09:34 PM
I used the Custom Resolution Utility to overclock my Lenovo Y50 Screen to 90Hz, after a crash I now see a pink screen with pixels overlapping. Did i mess up my screen by any chance or is there a setting that I need to reset. Has anyone seen anything like this?

The image of the issue:
https://imgur.com/a/b63c3Bc
06-02-2018, 09:52 PM
(06-02-2018 09:34 PM)adnansajid33 Wrote:  I used the Custom Resolution Utility to overclock my Lenovo Y50 Screen to 90Hz, after a crash I now see a pink screen with pixels overlapping. Did i mess up my screen by any chance or is there a setting that I need to reset. Has anyone seen anything like this?
Run reset-all.exe and reboot. Is it still like that after a reset?
06-02-2018, 10:02 PM (Last edited: 06-03-2018, 06:35 AM by adnansajid33)
(06-02-2018 09:52 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-02-2018 09:34 PM)adnansajid33 Wrote:  I used the Custom Resolution Utility to overclock my Lenovo Y50 Screen to 90Hz, after a crash I now see a pink screen with pixels overlapping. Did i mess up my screen by any chance or is there a setting that I need to reset. Has anyone seen anything like this?
Run reset-all.exe and reboot. Is it still like that after a reset?

I tried reset-all.exe and rebooted but still see the same thing... Also tried uninstalling and then reinstalling all the graphics drivers but to no avail.
06-02-2018, 10:31 PM (Last edited: 06-03-2018, 03:25 PM by spidey)
CRT is restarting resolution and refresh rate
Hi ToastyX, great program but have a problem with it. The story begins with my current machine - Windows 7 64bit, AMD R7 360 with 18.4.1 driver. And monitor CRT, Dell P1130, which supports refresh rates like 1280x1024@120Hz which is my goal
Apparently there are no other choices but only 60Hz. So I tried the utility - installed the pixel patch, set the custom resolution then restarted the driver with 64bit option, then restarted Windows. After some testing in desktop mode at 120Hz decided to play some games - CS: Source, Crysis, Dota 2, Borderlands and while starting them or playing them the machine suddenly returns to desktop trying to switch the resolution and frequency (I'm sure all of them are set on 1280x1024 in options) and failing just retries again. After that I just reset the things with the CRU and return to 60Hz, removed the pin 12 from the VGA side (connection to monitor is DVI-to-VGA cable, which was picked from similar machine with nvidia card where everything worked at 120Hz) and did another try without success. Note that the monitor before pin removal was correctly installed as Dell P1130 (tested also with integrated drivers of Sony GDM-F520 and Dell P1110), after removal (no more EDID) it was also ok in Device Manager ...

So, toasty, do you have any ideas what's causing this? Thanks in advance

Edit: Sometimes when it's on 120Hz or others (75, 85, 100Hz) there are some small flashes inside currently focused window, like the driver is crashing. I'm sure the videocard is not faulty - it works on another machine with the same driver, just different Intel platform (i3-8100, the problem one is s.2011 E5-2660)