Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
05-03-2018, 08:30 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(05-02-2018 11:07 PM)dynvid Wrote:  I'm running two Acer Predator Z650 in Surround on a 1080 Ti. I want to enable Full-screen Scaling on GPU in NCP, but the GPU option does not exist. I can only select Display. If I do so and hit apply, the scaling setting gets reset to No scaling after a few seconds.

Is the missing GPU option simply a bug in the driver or is there some theory behind it? Any suggestions on workarounds that could enable the GPU option?
That's weird. That sounds like a bug. The GPU scaling option should always be available. Usually it's the display scaling option that's missing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2018, 11:41 PM
After playing around for a while I found out that deleting the "TV resolutions" data block in EDID extension block enables the GPU option. Without Surround enabled I can set Full-screen scaling on GPU for each individual projector and the setting sticks. If I do the same with Surround enabled I can now select the GPU option, but the scaling option resets a few seconds after hitting Apply. I am getting really mad at the Nvidia driver. Resetting changes without a single word of information/warning is just really bad UX design.

If Surround is enabled (3840 x 1080), there is an EDID entry for the Surround Display. It shows a native resolution of 2000 x 1000. That doesn't make sense to me, but who knows, maybe it is supposed to be like that. Another piece of Nvidia driver magic...
05-04-2018, 12:51 PM
Thank you very much as always ToastyX for your great utility! I recently used it to overclock the display on a Kaby Lake laptop up to 85Hz with no sweat Big Grin.

By the way, I guess custom resolutions are still as impossible as always on Ivy Bridge + NVIDIA Optimus even on the latest (10.18.10.4885) drivers, right? I'm quite dissapointed at the fact that Intel never fixed this...
05-04-2018, 02:35 PM (Last edited: 05-04-2018, 07:53 PM by Dwedit)
Hello, I'd like to change my refresh rate from 60Hz to 60.098Hz to match the Super Nintendo.
I am having trouble doing this, seems that whatever I do, I'm still stuck on the default refresh rate.
It's a laptop screen, not a separate monitor.

Computer model: Dell Inspiron 15 7559
Using Intel video, Windows called the monitor "Generic Pnp Monitor"

The default timing I'm seeing is this:
1920x1080
front porch: 48px, 3 lines
sync width: 32px, 6 lines
back porch: 142px, 11 lines
Refresh rate: 60.011Hz
Pixel clock: 141.40 MHz

If I change only the Refresh Rate, it becomes 60.101Hz actual, and the pixel clock becomes 141.61Mhz.
If I add one pixel to the back porch (142 =>143), it says it would do 60.098Hz at 141.67 MHz.

But when I actually hit OK, then run restart64, then measure the actual framerate, it's still at around 60Hz rather than near 60.1Hz.

Edit: vsynctester.com reports 60.098Hz, but when I run a fullscreen OpenGL program that measures my framerate, I see a value oscillating between 59.999 and 60.002 Hz.

edit: When I query DXGI video modes, I don't see the custom refresh rate in there.

final edit: Rebooting the computer fixes everything. All the custom refresh rates work fine afterwards, I just can't have one custom refresh rate too close to another one. One ends up covering up the other if I have both 60.011 and 60.098 at the same time.
05-06-2018, 11:29 AM
So i registered due to a relatively unique issue im trying to solve. It seems this software is the frontrunner in the custom resolution space and due to choosing to run surround AND sli, its always something with my pc /sigh.

I have a steam link. Im getting old and after a long day with 2 young kids beating me into old age, I like to stream to my bed or couch instead of sitting at my pc. The problem is, with my surround/bezel corrected resolution. Its miles off of any known aspect ratio.

The steam link only puts out a max of 1080p which is fine for the few games that allow me to choose a windowed resolution of 1080p (my actual native surround resolution is 4680x2560 bezel corrected fwiw)

Most games dont allow this based off the info theyre receiving from the EDID (i presume? its above my pay grade)

This leaves me with some combination of editing the registry or if im lucky a config file to force a 1080p windowed resolution. Unfortunately the problem is two fold.

1) many games exist that even this does not work
2) it forces me to re-do the "hack" any time I want to actually play at the pc and change it via gui to a standard recognized resolution.

Otherwise I have to stream at whatever it gives me which is usually some resolution above 1080p (2304xsomethingoranother) and end up with black bars on my tv.

The short of it is, im trying to figure out if its possible/what I need to do to enable the ability to select 1080p in the drop down. Not for a fullscreen 1080p (which will refresh the entire setup and that takes ages on surround + moves my windows all over on my accessory display) but simply to be able to select 1080p in the drop down for 1080p windowed.

I tried to add the resolution to the "active" surround setup. No dice. I tried to add it to all 3 monitors and the surround set up then reloaded, still no dice.

Id appreciate if any help can be given. It would be a game changer.
05-14-2018, 02:46 AM (Last edited: 05-14-2018, 06:19 AM by br0adband)
I've looked over this entire thread twice over the past few hours and I'll bet that I'm just missing something simple that might help me resolve my issue, but since I haven't seen the missing info I decided to join and present the situation in the hopes it might help me get a working resolution - pun very much intended. Smile

Anyway, long story short: I have a ThinkPad W541, has the Nvidia Quadro K2100M "Optimus" setup using the Intel HD Graphics 4600 as part of the CPU (Intel i7-4810MQ). Using the latest drivers provided by Lenovo - as I want the system stable, and I don't game, so the latest drivers (Intel = 10.18.14.4414, Nvidia = 388.75) are perfectly acceptable to me.

This W541 has the Flexview 2880x1620 IPS panel in it and I run it at 1920x1080 which is also perfectly acceptable. I was going to do some work that would actually be more efficiently done at 2560x1440 and since I've literally got pixels to spare I'd like to be able to add that resolution to what I've currently got available but of course the driver INF files go like this:

1920x1080
1920x1200 (makes it show "black bars" and while I hate saying that you folks know what I mean)
2048x1152
2048x1536 ("black bars")
2880x1620

It's a bit crappy to have such a jump there knowing that because of the native resolution of the panel 2560x1440 should be an option and I don't know why Lenovo/Intel/Nvidia decided it shouldn't be.

So I downloaded CRU 1.3.1 and, well, it won't let me add that resolution of course, now I'm somewhat stuck as to why. I've researched this thread and just can't seem to grasp what I might not be seeing so, I figured I'd toss the info out there and see what happens.

I am including a few screenshots of CRU info, not sure if that will help or matter at all. When I attempt to add a resolution of 2560x1440 it won't let me, the text I type turns red and the OK button remains ghosted so, I suppose I need to do a lot more reading which I will do but in the meantime if anyone might have some suggestions or tips I'd greatly appreciate them.

Thanks, and have fun, always...

EDIT:
I was able to track down the Custom Resolution portion of the Intel GPU control panel but - ironically - it tells me this when I try to set 2560x1400 which is a lower resolution than the panel's native resolution:

[Image: Intel_001.png] [Image: Intel_002.png] [Image: Intel_003.png]

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I might not have believed it. Wink
05-14-2018, 12:25 PM
(05-14-2018 02:46 AM)br0adband Wrote:  Anyway, long story short: I have a ThinkPad W541, has the Nvidia Quadro K2100M "Optimus" setup using the Intel HD Graphics 4600 as part of the CPU (Intel i7-4810MQ). Using the latest drivers provided by Lenovo - as I want the system stable, and I don't game, so the latest drivers (Intel = 10.18.14.4414, Nvidia = 388.75) are perfectly acceptable to me.
You need to install the Haswell driver listed in the first post. Older drivers do not support EDID overrides.

(05-14-2018 02:46 AM)br0adband Wrote:  I am including a few screenshots of CRU info, not sure if that will help or matter at all. When I attempt to add a resolution of 2560x1440 it won't let me, the text I type turns red and the OK button remains ghosted so, I suppose I need to do a lot more reading which I will do but in the meantime if anyone might have some suggestions or tips I'd greatly appreciate them.
Where does the text turn red? You should be able to add 2560x1440 as a detailed resolution. Keep in mind that CRU does not add scaled resolutions, and laptop screens don't have scalers, so you need to enable GPU scaling for lower resolutions to work correctly.
05-14-2018, 12:41 PM
(05-06-2018 11:29 AM)klepp0906 Wrote:  The short of it is, im trying to figure out if its possible/what I need to do to enable the ability to select 1080p in the drop down. Not for a fullscreen 1080p (which will refresh the entire setup and that takes ages on surround + moves my windows all over on my accessory display) but simply to be able to select 1080p in the drop down for 1080p windowed.
To have 1080p with Surround, you need to add a resolution that adds up to 1920x1080 on all the monitors. I'm not sure how to calculate that with bezel correction.
05-15-2018, 03:32 AM
(05-14-2018 12:25 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  You need to install the Haswell driver listed in the first post. Older drivers do not support EDID overrides.

Where does the text turn red? You should be able to add 2560x1440 as a detailed resolution. Keep in mind that CRU does not add scaled resolutions, and laptop screens don't have scalers, so you need to enable GPU scaling for lower resolutions to work correctly.

I installed the Haswell drivers (the 4th gen ones, not the 4th/5th gen ones), and it still won't allow me to make changes in any respects. I decided to check out Manjaro Linux for fun and games just for about 30 minutes earlier and was surprised to see it allowed me to set 2560x1440 directly from the Display applet (I was booted off a USB LiveDistro stick I made from the latest Manjaro Gnome release). Worked fine, not a single issue at all.

But the Intel graphics crap, it really sucks sometimes. It would have been so much easier if Lenovo had just allowed for end users to disable the onboard GPU entirely and use the discrete graphics chip only. I really hate that decision on their part because this does cause more issues than it solves, unfortunately.

As far as the red text, it's when I try to manually add a new resolution in CRU - the resolution numbers I type become red in color and the OK button remains ghosted as shown in the picture:

[Image: CRU.png]

I've pretty much decided to just forgo these issues. It's funny that I can install Manjaro Linux right now, set the resolution for 2560x1440, and even install Windows 7 Pro x64 in a virtual machine and get that resolution without a single issue, with full hardware acceleration and even watch videos without issues (except of course the crappy visual tearing that Linux just can't ever seem to get fixed because of driver support for Nvidia GPUs).

Anyway, thanks for responding, I'll just let this go, I appreciate the info.
05-15-2018, 02:16 PM
(05-15-2018 03:32 AM)br0adband Wrote:  As far as the red text, it's when I try to manually add a new resolution in CRU - the resolution numbers I type become red in color and the OK button remains ghosted as shown in the picture
You can't add 2560x1440 as a standard resolution. It has to be a detailed resolution.