Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-24-2018, 01:23 PM (Last edited: 07-24-2018, 01:38 PM by Manciuszz)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(07-24-2018 12:57 PM)Goa Wrote:  hi guys,
first of all pardon my ignorance.
I have an Asus PG278QR 1440p@144hz, I read on some forums that it is reccomended to use CRU in order to minimize the input lag.
My monitor is g-sync capable and I has some input lag problems using trackir device for playing DCS ( digital combat simulator), so I'd like to know if is it a good idea to use CRU by deleting all the uncessary resolution of the monitor and keeping only the resolution I need for my game.
The game supports natively 1440p resolution but I am afraid it does not support higher refresh rates (it's just a theory as there is no such option in game to select the resfresh rate as in other games).

Thank you.Smile
First of all, deleting all unnecessary resolutions will not change anything. If you can run any resolution that you play with on 144Hz refresh rate, the only thing you could do is overclock your monitor to a bigger refresh rate, however you have to make sure that your PC is capable of matching that refresh rate too, otherwise its kind of pointless (I think?). The reason why you feel "some input lag" is probably because of G-Sync tho. Furthermore, I doubt that that "trackir device" doesn't have some sort of input lag on its own too, which in that case CRU won't help you in any way.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2018, 01:49 PM
(07-24-2018 12:56 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-23-2018 11:48 PM)fandangos Wrote:  I have added it to detailed resolutions.
To standard resolutions.
To detailed resolutions and in tv resolutions.

It won't show up in NV CP and under monitor supported resolutions in Windows 10.
Make sure GPU scaling is disabled. Don't add it as a standard resolution.

It worked. Found what I was doing wrong.
I was adding 1920x1080 120hz as a new resolution.

All I had to do was change 60hz to 120hz on the already 1920x1080 in the detailed resolutions.

It shows up in Nvidia as a standard resolution but still windows 10 won't show it.

But all my problems are solved now. Thanks Toasty.
07-29-2018, 01:55 AM
Toasty, got one more question,

I want to change the timings of 3840x2160@23hz to match CRT timings.
When testing this my TV actually detects 24hz normaly and Madvr reports no droppped or repeated frames.

The thing is, create a custom resolution makes me loose 12bpc which is important specially for HDR content.

I can't set CRT timings with 60hz on the detailed resolution because it's over the bandwidth of hdmi 2.0.

Is there a way to change the timings of just 23hz in a way Nvidia CP don't see it as a PC resolution and disables 12bpc?
07-29-2018, 04:09 PM
(07-29-2018 01:55 AM)fandangos Wrote:  Is there a way to change the timings of just 23hz in a way Nvidia CP don't see it as a PC resolution and disables 12bpc?
TV resolutions have specific timing parameters defined by the CEA/CTA-861 standard. I'm not sure if there's a way to have 12 bpc with custom timing parameters.
07-29-2018, 07:42 PM
Hello!
Through much googling I have come across this utility to try and solve a problem that I've run into; also now that I'm here the prospect of overclocking monitors sounds awesome and intriguing.

I have just recently added a 144hz monitor to my setup and am quite dismayed by the fact that I cannot utilize the 144hz unless the given application is in exclusive fulscreen mode.

From what I understand, this is a quirk of Windows, and has become more difficult to overcome in windows 10 relative to how you could fix it in windows 7 by disabling aero.

I have been playing around with the utility and crashed my setup a few times and I'm resigning to ask for some guidance on how I would go about fixing my inability to have that monitor being displayed at 144hz regardless of fullscreen vs. borderless fullscreen in my games.
07-30-2018, 01:06 PM
Hi,

Today I was attempting to overclock my laptop's monitor and was having no issues until I reached 105 hz using LCD reduced timings at 1080p. I can't get windows or intel display drivers to show any refresh rates I make that are over 107 hz despite everything else being the same as the lower refresh rate ones that worked.

Sorry if someone else has already posted about and solved this issue but I couldn't find anything when I looked. If anyone knows how to get past this limitation please let me know.
07-30-2018, 04:06 PM
(07-29-2018 07:42 PM)Jordaldo Wrote:  I have been playing around with the utility and crashed my setup a few times and I'm resigning to ask for some guidance on how I would go about fixing my inability to have that monitor being displayed at 144hz regardless of fullscreen vs. borderless fullscreen in my games.
I'm not sure what you mean. Borderless full screen uses the desktop refresh rate, so it should work at 144 Hz if it's set to 144 Hz.
07-30-2018, 04:06 PM
(07-30-2018 01:06 PM)lvl100abra Wrote:  Today I was attempting to overclock my laptop's monitor and was having no issues until I reached 105 hz using LCD reduced timings at 1080p. I can't get windows or intel display drivers to show any refresh rates I make that are over 107 hz despite everything else being the same as the lower refresh rate ones that worked.
Probably a pixel clock limit in the hardware.
07-31-2018, 01:48 AM
Hello ToastyX,

I can't seem to overclock my BOE062F past 66hz. I've been tinkering with CRU for hours and everytime I go above that hz the screen gets fuzzy grey unusable with the mouse being laggy.

According to http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/...us.802167/ and many others online people can get this laptop to 100hz easily.

I've updated the Intel drivers to the most recent. Used your Pixel clock patch. Tinkered with every single possible resolution timing and setting but I cant get passed 66hz. All my drivers are updated and widows 10 is updated.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 7559 (everyone else I see can get 100hz max 104hz) the i5 6300hq version.

Did I just get a bad display? I feel like I'm missing something simple but I cant seem to find the solution anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
08-02-2018, 11:59 AM
(07-30-2018 04:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I'm not sure what you mean. Borderless full screen uses the desktop refresh rate, so it should work at 144 Hz if it's set to 144 Hz.

Apparently that's not the case anymore with windows 10 Undecided