Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-17-2018, 03:37 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-16-2018 08:17 PM)macity_mac_shack Wrote:  Any reason why this wouldn't be working on a new dell G7 with 1060 max q and i7 8750h. Ive tried patching both the nvidia driver and stock intel one, but neither is letting me overclock my built in display. I know that this program usually works because i have had laptops n the past. If it cant work because of optimus or something thats fine, just wanted to know why it wasn't working.
You'll have to ask Intel because their driver is the one limiting it. The latest driver should work with Optimus, but I don't know if there are other limitations with your laptop.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2018, 12:28 AM (Last edited: 08-18-2018, 12:34 AM by Jonotallica)
(08-17-2018 03:36 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-16-2018 03:02 PM)Jonotallica Wrote:  Everything else I tried either yielded no results at all, or undesirable results. For example, in the VTB-EXT and DisplayID sections, the changes did go through but it changed the recognition of those resolutions to DVI.. despite using HDMI cable.. and ALL resolutions became washed out and pale.. and I lost full range colour for all of them. Showing once again, that my 48hz pale colour problem, is a NVIDIA driver issue, not a hardware issue.. as I now had this same colour for every resolution on the list, even the native ones.

So far the only way I've been able to maintain the full range colour that I desire is to use HDMI 'TV Resolutions' that are recognised as 'native' by the NVIDIA drivers. Everything else messes the colour up.

The frustrating part is that 48hz is the only change within all the resolution options that doesn't work. The tick box for native resolution is greyed out, despite being ok with my monitor (unofficially), where as 24 or 25, or 100hz is able to be ticked. And I even switched to this mode (25hz) without my monitor supporting it and then had the monitor go black and say that it isn't supported. And have to revert back. The tick box is available to tick for all of the others, and NVIDIA Control Panel will recognise these extra modes which is exactly what I've been looking for.. EXCEPT the one mode that I really want.. 48hz is unavailable as a native resolution. Sad
It sounds like the driver might only be applying the color format settings to TV resolutions, not necessarily native resolutions. 48 Hz TV resolutions are new and are probably not supported by the driver yet, and you can't define them as native resolutions that way. The only way to define 48 Hz as a native resolution is to make it the first detailed resolution, but that probably won't solve the color problem because it won't be treated as a TV resolution.

Have you tried this tool? http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=83

If that doesn't help, try adding a video capability data block and leave the selectable RGB/YCC ranges unchecked. NVIDIA's driver sometimes mixes things up if those are checked.

Thanks for your reply, I'll give those ideas a go.

Yes, that's exactly what's happening, but it's only applying them when it's a combination of TV Resolutions AND Native resolutions.. Native = Limited, TV = Limited, but TV + Native = Full RGB.

And also.. I haven't read of this happening to anyone else, which makes it hard to know what the problem could be or how to fix it. There does usually seem to be some complications with NVIDIA when it comes to HDMI and full colour though, over all of these years.

Yeah I did try the Full RGB toggler. It actually crashes when I apply it, which I've read around the internet sometimes people say that happens (and other people have no problems). But in checking the registry entries, I did find that it was applying the changes, despite the crash. So I figured I should just ignore the crash and use it anyway. All it's doing is changing some 0's to 1's, and then back to 0's again. Unfortunately I had no luck in terms of it having any impact or difference (so far).

I've even been shopping around for a new monitor in the last 24 hours if that could help simplify things.. I figured maybe a DVI or Display Port connection could help simplify in terms of NVIDIA applying full colour to all of my resolutions. I figured that it's possible a DVI connection could simply apply full colour, because as far as I know it removes the "Full" and "Limited" options from the menu. This monitor was using HDMI the last 4 years, so I bought a HDMI to DVI converter, but silly me.. I didn't realise that it would still be a HDMI connection. Apparently this monitor has no DVI options, hence my problems. I've been using this HDMI monitor or watching videos from different regions for many years, but have only started to properly understand all of the options or possibilities very recently..

Also.. it seems that the NVIDIA - HDMI - Full vs Limited thing has been an issue for NVIDIA for many years. I've read of people having many problems, which introduced the need for that toggle tool. But I don't know if I've read anyone that has this issue that I seem to have.. in terms of it only applying the full colour to native + TV resolutions. Very frustrating because.. what's the point of using any custom resolutions if it makes the colours go pale and washed out? To have to change colour profiles everytime I want to watch something in 24p, is not a very reasonable request, even to reduce brightness or add contrast isn't the same as full RGB colour.

I am very motivated to try and fix this.. but nearly all of the monitors I have looked at are HDMI.. and I expect to be a NVIDIA user for the foreseeable future.. so it's a bit of a headache. Sad

There seems to be two types of monitors I am looking at.. those that have 50-60hz native resolutions, like the one I am using now. And I am able to underclock to 48hz for 24p video. Or a second set of monitors that are 60-75hz.. where maybe I could use 72hz custom resoution for 24p. But the colours would be wrong because 72hz isn't a native HDMI TV Resolution. And also, the PAL stuff is sacrificed. 25fps stuff should be ok, but the 50p stuff wouldn't be in sync at 75hz. I've just watched two 50p HD videos on YT in the last hour, when researching these monitor solutions in the first place. It's not a major issue.. but I would really like a solution that allows me to watch all video content at the correct synced refresh rate.. to give flexibility for any video editing situations that might present themselves.

Maybe I could find a monitor that has DVI output, just use regular PC custom resolutions, and hope that my drivers apply full colour to them, but finding monitors that have VESA mounts, the right size, resolution, the right type of panel and everything else + DVI has been harder than I expected.

In terms of the syncing frames in video, I'm even noticing a difference in terms of the playback graphs and also the actual playback to the naked eye when using 48hz vs 47.952hz in terms of properly syncing the frames. So I don't actually want to run 48hz for Blu Ray video, I want to run 47.952. And 59.994 for NTSC. PAL stuff is the only one that uses a round number and syncs perfectly at 25/50hz. The easiest solution would be to run my monitor the way it is now, but just have the full colour for 48 (or 47.952hz), rather than monitors that run at 75hz, or 120hz or 244hz.. but whether that's possible or not, I'm not sure..

Thanks again for your reply (and for your CRU tool), I will try your ideas and keep experimenting.
08-20-2018, 09:29 PM
I've been able to have some success in the last few days. It was different to how I intended but it achieved pretty much the result I was after, so I am happy. I have some confusion about how the NVIDIA drivers work though, because it's not very intuitive and doesn't make sense, but it's more of a curiousity since I am achieving what I hoped for (thanks to your CRU tool).

I tried a few different combinations, and what ended up working was switching to PC Resolutions (which for me are paler in colour profile vs HDMI TV Resolutions) and then finding a way to get all resolutions and refresh rates to work that way. In terms of getting Windows to recognise them all. And to avoid the HDMI 'TV' resolutions all together. My goal has been to switch through different refresh rates automatically when a different video file is opened, and then to have consistant colour profiles for each refresh rate. That has now been achieved, although the colour profile looks more like HDMI TV - Limited and is paler and more washed out but I'll get into that later. Because there's a confusion I have about that, in terms of how NVIDIA driver is handling it.

I deleted all of the HDMI TV resolutions @ 1920x1080, but still left the HDMI compatibility, so it does still register within the driver that I'm using HDMI and not DVI. I started using the 'detailed resolutions' like you mentioned to start constructing the refresh rates I wanted. All were too pale/washed out in colour, but I was able to adjust the NVIDIA colour settings in order to compensate, in terms of brightness/contrast/gamma.. so that it pretty much.. 99% looks the same as it did before. It's something like 35% brightness, 45% contrast, 0.88 gamma.

I realised that I could also aim for more than just 23.976, 29.970 and 25fps.. there was enough space in the resolution slots (barely) to include compatibility for other refresh rates, for example 24.000 and 30.000fps videos.. because these videos pop up on YT from time to time. I couldn't include a setting for EVERY video framerate as there's some random ones out there.. but it covers the most common ones. I was lucky to have just enough space in the Detailed resolutions include everything and only had to move the 60hz over to standard resolutions (which worked fine).. and then to use detailed resolutions for the rest. 50hz is my default resolution as this is PAL territory here, so that one is on the top of the list. I guess I'm using the monitor as sort of a computer monitor version of an Australian PAL TV @ 50hz.

So that when I open a 24fps video, it'll use a 48.000hz refresh.. and when I open a 23.976 video it'll use 47.955, for example.. and so far in my testing, everything is staying in sync really well. Smile Any judders or playback problems are coming from the source video and this is really helpful for me in terms of editting or encoding, in terms of being able to see the difference. My player even has a graph that shows playback in terms of the source video framerate and the monitor/GPU playback.

[Image: PKjUyXA.jpg]

The NVIDIA driver only recognises 3 of these resolutions as 60 50 and 48. But that's fine because it doesn't need to. Windows recognises them all in terms of changing "screen resolution" in Control Panel and the video player I'm using (MPC-BE) recognises them all as well. So it's a great result and I'm very happy. There are no HMDI TV resolutions for full HD, but that's ok, I don't need them and the colours would look wrong anyway. It's functioning 100% the same as it was before and seems like semantics to worry about it.

The confusion I have is with the colour.. as it's stated that there are 2 colour profiles in terms of the RGB Full vs Limited thing, and the way NVIDIA drivers seem to be handling it seems really dodgy. Because in reality there seems to be 3 (or 4).

1 - The one I was using up until a week ago.. all year.. HDMI TV resolution + Full RGB Colour.. very full and rich colours, probably exactly the same as it would look with a Radeon video card set to full.

2 - PC Resolution - from the 'detailed resolutions' part of CRU. It has a full vs limited setting as well.. this is what I am currently using, with the profile of Full RGB. But it does NOT look like the one I am talking about above. I am running considerable lower brightness and gamma to compensate in order to make it look like "1" above. However after doing this, it does look quite similar, so much so.. that after a few days I can't really tell the difference.

3 - PC Resolution - 'limited' which looks even paler and washed out again. How can this be possible? On paper, an RBG profile is like a curve.. where full RBG is the full colour gamut, and a limited profile is altering the values of 0-16 and 235-255. If it were really applying this in the correct way, how could these 3 settings be possible?

It seems like it's just applying some kind of sloppy and lazy gamma filter or something. And possibly.. it's either applying it twice.. for PC Resolution - Limited, or something similar. Like some sort of inbuilt preset, like it adjusts the preset values of brightness and contrast and gamma or something.

So when you dial up for your monitor and colour settings for HDMI TV Resolution @ Full RGB it's..

HDMI TV - Full RGB - Normal colour
PC - Full RGB - Pale and washed out
PC - Limited RGB- Double Pale and looks awful

But if you dial up your colour and monitor for PC Full, like I currently am now.. it's..

HDMI TV - Full RGB- Very dark and oversaturated
PC - Full RGB- Normal colour
PC - Limited RGB - Pale..

I didn't even mention HDMI TV - Limited, but if I had to guess, I would say that it's something similar (or possibly exactly the same) as PC - Full.

Anyways.. the good thing is, by using your tool I have removed the need to add any custom resolutions via NVIDIA Driver because they seem to always default to PC - Limited - Double Pale.. regardless of setting it to Full or Limited (the change in the menu shows no visible change at all).. therefore for me, with this video card/driver combination.. custom resolutions are useless.

But now.. thanks to discovering this and adjusting my colour settings, I am able to have consistancy of colour through all refresh rates and custom resolutions. And it looks 99% the same as before in terms of colour, saturation, brightness etc. Thanks to your tool.. Shy

I am so frustrated with NVIDIA and can't make much sense of any of this above.. it seems really sloppy and amateurish.. not something you'd expect from 2018 technology.. but anyway..

Is there anyway to apply these CRU EDID profile changes permanately to the monitor, or is it always going to be a temporary thing that I need to apply after graphics drivers change, or reinstallation of Windows? Because I already switched my monitor cable back to the original HDMI one, and it reverted all of my settings back to default monitor settings. But luckily I've saved my changes in a bin file and just had to import those back in.. the annoyance is having to readjust colour settings of NVIDIA colour profile but I can always screenshot those for the exact settings and reapply them each time, if needed.

I'd love to find a way to import those bin settings permanately into the monitors EDID, so that it can just run like this forever into the long term. I was able to do something similar to this when flashing my video cards bios, in terms of adjusting the power savings and temperatures at idle but also increasing the speed at peak overclock, it's been 3 or so years and it's been running great in terms of quiet, low power usage but also having power when required. But I understand that the process might be a little bit more complex when it comes to monitors.

Thanks again for your tool, I hope in the near future I can forget about all of this hassle and it can just function like this in the long term.
08-22-2018, 02:59 AM
heyhey hey good new i have an samsung freesync2 edid for you and many other edid for hdr you need a graphic card with 1.4 display port compatible or hdmi2.0 i modified the edid for 75hz so u need ad your own hz https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UOIg8B...sDIvcpjeuX just import on cru and go to your amd or nvidia setting and change for 10 bit it will active hdr 8bit can be used for fake hdr 2
08-22-2018, 08:31 PM (Last edited: 08-22-2018, 09:10 PM by keith.f.kelly)
Hardware: Lenovo IdeaPad U530 Touch, i7-4500U CPU, Intel HD 4400 graphics w/ nVidia GeForce GT 730M, 1920x1080 built-in LCD display
Intel HD Graphics Driver: 20.19.15.4963

I need 50Hz refresh rate so I can correctly emulate European (PAL) mode classic computers/consoles (such as Commodore Amiga) w/ V-Sync enabled.

Even after installing CRU-1.4, using it to add 50Hz display modes, and rebooting, the 50Hz display modes STILL do not show up in either the Windows control panel pages or the Intel graphics properties app. I cannot get 50Hz display modes to work at all. I thought the latest Intel drivers were supposed to have unlocked EDID override?Huh
08-22-2018, 08:47 PM
Hi guys!

I am new on the forums. I was wandering if this could hypothetically work.

To trick a FreeSync monitor into thinking that GPU installed is AMD brand while in reality it is an Nvidia GPU.

Wouldn't this allow FreeSync to work on Nvidia GPUs?

Talking about Desktop PC's and Dedicated GPUs.

I just theorize here and wonder if some patch/mod could potentially do this in the future.

Thanks for all your great work Toasty and the community that gathers on these forums.

Cheers,

Grotlo
08-22-2018, 09:44 PM
(08-22-2018 08:47 PM)Grotlo Wrote:  To trick a FreeSync monitor into thinking that GPU installed is AMD brand while in reality it is an Nvidia GPU.

Wouldn't this allow FreeSync to work on Nvidia GPUs?
No, the monitor doesn't care what GPU is installed. NVIDIA would have to implement FreeSync for it to work.
08-22-2018, 09:45 PM
(08-22-2018 08:31 PM)keith.f.kelly Wrote:  Even after installing CRU-1.4, using it to add 50Hz display modes, and rebooting, the 50Hz display modes STILL do not show up in either the Windows control panel pages or the Intel graphics properties app. I cannot get 50Hz display modes to work at all. I thought the latest Intel drivers were supposed to have unlocked EDID override?Huh
I don't know why EDID overrides don't work on some Intel systems.
08-22-2018, 09:46 PM (Last edited: 08-22-2018, 09:51 PM by ToastyX)
(08-20-2018 09:29 PM)Jonotallica Wrote:  HDMI TV - Full RGB - Normal colour
If you remove HDMI support from the extension block, the video card will send a DVI signal, which is always full RGB, but you said the colors were washed out when you did that, which makes me think the monitor just has washed out colors with full RGB PC resolutions. I don't know why you're having different results with TV resolutions. I can't tell if that's because of the monitor or NVIDIA's driver treating TV resolutions differently, but the washed out colors with PC resolutions is definitely the monitor, which is why it looks double pale with limited. NVIDIA's driver probably treats custom resolutions the same as PC resolutions, which is why those are always washed out for you.

(08-20-2018 09:29 PM)Jonotallica Wrote:  Is there anyway to apply these CRU EDID profile changes permanately to the monitor, or is it always going to be a temporary thing that I need to apply after graphics drivers change, or reinstallation of Windows?
You would need to flash the EDID with the exported .bin file, but many monitors have a read-only EDID, which would require a hardware modification to get around: https://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-...dware-mod/
08-23-2018, 12:36 AM
(08-22-2018 09:46 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-20-2018 09:29 PM)Jonotallica Wrote:  HDMI TV - Full RGB - Normal colour
If you remove HDMI support from the extension block, the video card will send a DVI signal, which is always full RGB, but you said the colors were washed out when you did that, which makes me think the monitor just has washed out colors with full RGB PC resolutions. I don't know why you're having different results with TV resolutions. I can't tell if that's because of the monitor or NVIDIA's driver treating TV resolutions differently, but the washed out colors with PC resolutions is definitely the monitor, which is why it looks double pale with limited. NVIDIA's driver probably treats custom resolutions the same as PC resolutions, which is why those are always washed out for you.

hi toasty can u try my edid ? and if you can fix the 75 hz resolution by en larging the Vertical Totals reduce for better game play

(08-20-2018 09:29 PM)Jonotallica Wrote:  Is there anyway to apply these CRU EDID profile changes permanately to the monitor, or is it always going to be a temporary thing that I need to apply after graphics drivers change, or reinstallation of Windows?
You would need to flash the EDID with the exported .bin file, but many monitors have a read-only EDID, which would require a hardware modification to get around: https://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-...dware-mod/