Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
04-02-2019, 08:36 PM (Last edited: 04-02-2019, 08:40 PM by Dogway)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
I added a few modelines in th 59Hz range but they are not visible in the Display Settings. I made a test with 75Hz and it was fine, but with 59.637 all I was presented with was the default 60Hz modeline (the one at the top stack). I also fear that they will be listed rounded to 60Hz unable to know which is which.

Also, is there a more streamlined way to switch modes? Either registry, command line, etc than going to the display settings each time? Maybe checking registry changes with RegShot.

By the way for a smart tv do you recommend not touching the blanking (use LCD standard) ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2019, 11:36 PM
(04-02-2019 08:36 PM)Dogway Wrote:  I added a few modelines in th 59Hz range but they are not visible in the Display Settings. I made a test with 75Hz and it was fine, but with 59.637 all I was presented with was the default 60Hz modeline (the one at the top stack). I also fear that they will be listed rounded to 60Hz unable to know which is which.

Also, is there a more streamlined way to switch modes? Either registry, command line, etc than going to the display settings each time? Maybe checking registry changes with RegShot.

By the way for a smart tv do you recommend not touching the blanking (use LCD standard) ?
Windows lists refresh rates as integers, so 59.637 Hz would be listed as 60 Hz. Windows doesn't have a way to have multiple 60 Hz refresh rates at the same resolution, but you can have different resolutions with a different fractional refresh rate. For example, you can have 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz and 1918x1080 @ 59.637 Hz. Then you can easily switch using a program like HotKey Resolution Changer. The blanking doesn't matter as long as the resolution works.

One of the features I'm thinking about adding eventually is the ability to export an .exe file that switches EDID overrides. Right now, the only way to achieve that is to make a batch file that loads the .reg file you want and then run restart.exe -q.

EDID overrides are stored in the registry here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\(Display ID)\(Instance ID)\Device Parameters\EDID_OVERRIDE
04-03-2019, 02:03 AM
That would be cool, I guess that can work around the Windows listing issues. I remember using registry changes back in XP to easily switch displays with AHK.
Do you know of any command line or gui based program to find current display refresh rate? Currently I'm using some web tests and retroarch internal options but I don't entirely trust them.
04-03-2019, 12:50 PM (Last edited: 04-03-2019, 05:06 PM by beenlagged)
Hi ToastyX, thanks for all of your hardwork!

I have a Benq GW2255 (60hz) using it with a single link DVI-D, managed to overclock it to 87 hz.

Is there a possibility that I could achieve higher refresh rate overclock using a dual link DVI-D?

Also, is there a rule or something when overclocking the monitor's refresh rate? Like should the refresh rate be divisible by 30 or 24 or 4?

Thanks!
04-04-2019, 08:31 AM
(04-02-2019 05:29 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-01-2019 08:51 AM)outliner Wrote:  ive been having an issue after trying to set my tv to 120 hz native on my dual screen setup. this is to achive my goal of having my pc output a 12 bit color signal with 120hz. the problem is that when ive set everything up and shutdown my tv. my other monitor randomly starts to flash a black screen serveral times at a time. im completly clueless why this is happening and its very frustrating for me. anyone that can help? ive been searching for anwers without any luck.
What video card do you have? When you say the monitor flashes a black screen, how long does it do this? Does it stop after a few seconds or does it continue indefinitely?

GTX 1080 the flash is lasting for like 2 seconds, then it comes back as normal for like 5 seconds. i think it flashes indefinitely i didnt let it go on for more than 3 "flashes"
04-04-2019, 05:56 PM
(04-04-2019 08:31 AM)outliner Wrote:  GTX 1080 the flash is lasting for like 2 seconds, then it comes back as normal for like 5 seconds. i think it flashes indefinitely i didnt let it go on for more than 3 "flashes"
It sounds like the TV is reconnecting every few seconds when it's off, so the video card thinks a monitor is being plugged in every few seconds. Either that or there's a driver bug maybe related to SCDC, but I think it's more likely a problem with the TV, especially if the flashing stops if you physically disconnect the TV.
04-04-2019, 05:57 PM
(04-03-2019 12:50 PM)beenlagged Wrote:  Is there a possibility that I could achieve higher refresh rate overclock using a dual link DVI-D?
No, the monitor doesn't use dual-link DVI.

(04-03-2019 12:50 PM)beenlagged Wrote:  Also, is there a rule or something when overclocking the monitor's refresh rate? Like should the refresh rate be divisible by 30 or 24 or 4?
No, refresh rates are arbitrary.
04-04-2019, 05:58 PM
(04-03-2019 02:03 AM)Dogway Wrote:  Do you know of any command line or gui based program to find current display refresh rate? Currently I'm using some web tests and retroarch internal options but I don't entirely trust them.
That depends. Are you trying to calculate the actual hardware refresh rate (example: 59.637142 Hz), or do you want the currently set refresh rate (example: 59.637 Hz), or do you want the currently listed refresh rate (example: 60 Hz)?

For calculating the actual hardware refresh rate, this works reasonably well with Chrome (give it a minute to average the samples): https://www.displayhz.com/
04-04-2019, 08:58 PM
Yes, I meant the hardware rate which is a more accurate representation of what's happening. I was using http://www.vsynctester.com but it says Firefox is inaccurate or something, in Vivaldi (Chromium) the tester object doesn't load.
04-04-2019, 10:24 PM
(04-04-2019 08:58 PM)Dogway Wrote:  Yes, I meant the hardware rate which is a more accurate representation of what's happening. I was using http://www.vsynctester.com but it says Firefox is inaccurate or something, in Vivaldi (Chromium) the tester object doesn't load.
It's working for me with the latest version of Vivaldi. I don't know if there's a desktop app that does the same. I might have to make one.