Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-22-2019, 09:46 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hi I have a Lenovo laptop with Intel i7 8550u w/ UHD 620 graphics and an Nvidia MX250 gpu. Can I make a custom resolution at a higher refresh rate with CRU or do I have to download or patch drivers or something first?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2019, 11:12 PM (Last edited: 07-24-2019, 12:01 AM by dan1)
Hi ToastyX

Thanks for making this great program.

I have a question about the LG C9 and getting 4k@120hz over hdmi2.0b - is it even possible?

Could i use CRU to fake a EDID for the LGC9 which would accept 4k@120 with chroma 4:2:2?

I have a hdmi2.1 cable 48gbps, and the lgc9 is supposed to have hdmi2.1 ports, i also have a 2080ti

The C9 also has VRR support over hdmi2.1 from 40-120hz, not sure if CRU could effect anything about this feature.
07-24-2019, 09:36 PM
(07-23-2019 11:12 PM)dan1 Wrote:  I have a question about the LG C9 and getting 4k@120hz over hdmi2.0b - is it even possible?

Could i use CRU to fake a EDID for the LGC9 which would accept 4k@120 with chroma 4:2:2?
4K @ 120 Hz would require 4:2:0 or HDMI 2.1. I don't know if any driver supports 4K @ 120 Hz with 4:2:0, and I don't think any current video card supports HDMI 2.1. The only way to add a 4:2:0 resolution is to add a TV resolutions data block in the CEA-861 extension block and enable the "4:2:0 resolutions" option, but 4K @ 120 Hz is a newer resolution that might not be supported. There's also the question of whether the TV will accept a 4K @ 120 Hz signal.

(07-23-2019 11:12 PM)dan1 Wrote:  The C9 also has VRR support over hdmi2.1 from 40-120hz, not sure if CRU could effect anything about this feature.
I don't think any video card supports HDMI 2.1 VRR yet.
07-24-2019, 09:37 PM
(07-22-2019 09:46 PM)snarfbot Wrote:  Hi I have a Lenovo laptop with Intel i7 8550u w/ UHD 620 graphics and an Nvidia MX250 gpu. Can I make a custom resolution at a higher refresh rate with CRU or do I have to download or patch drivers or something first?
You would have to try it and see. Patching is mostly for DVI and HDMI. You will be limited by the internal connection of the panel, which is often eDP in newer laptops. With the current Intel graphics drivers, you might have to use the "Copy" and "Paste" buttons at the top to copy everything to the inactive entries in the monitor list for the override to work.
07-26-2019, 08:02 AM
(07-05-2019 02:41 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-03-2019 09:50 AM)foxyauxy Wrote:  Hello, I have here an ASUS ROG XG27VQ gaming monitor. It supports ASUS ELMB, which is a strobing blur reduction technology very similar to Nvidia Lightboost.

However, the monitor will only allow you to enable ELMB at 120Hz; no other refresh rates are allowed. This would be fine, but when using AMD Virtual Super Resolution, the only available refresh rate is the maximum, 144Hz. That means I can't enable motion blur reduction while using VSR, which is a significant negative compared to Nvidia's competing solution, DSR.

Opening CRU, I don't see any obvious way to modify the resolutions or refresh rates used for Virtual Super Resolution. Pardon my ignorance, but is such a thing possible using CRU? Thanks in advance.
VSR is supposed to be available for all refresh rates at the native resolution. Maybe the result is different if FreeSync is enabled.
Unfortunately, that isn't the case. This monitor doesn't even expose itself as FreeSync-capable when ELMB is enabled.
07-29-2019, 01:52 PM (Last edited: 07-29-2019, 03:38 PM by cidious)
I used this tool before and managed to put in a custom refreshrate for my AOC monitor which worked perfectly. I had to refresh Windows and after the refresh I just can't seem to add any new resolutions or refreshrates! I'm pretty sure i did it in the right way but maybe the last windows version is causing some issues?

I'm trying to modify the refreshrate for my second monitor plugged into the laptop's HDMI port. it's an AOC M3285 monitor and it does 70 or 71Hz overclocked.

I added the new refreshrates and even deleted the old ones but it just won't show up in windows settings.....

I have the monitor setup as second display only as main monitor. it handles a different scaling than the internal display. I can see that. It's not duplicated.

Anyone any idea whats going on?

Got it sorted!

needed to add the resolution as LCD standard and not LCD native
07-30-2019, 01:31 AM (Last edited: 07-30-2019, 01:33 AM by ameoir)
I have a clevo laptop with HD 4600 and GTX 870m, windows 7

When I try to use CRU (using the driver you linked for intel hd) I can't make custom resolution or set the refresh rate above 60hz. It doesn't list the resolution in windows

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-30-2019, 04:24 AM
Hi ToastyX, first off.. thanks for making this amazing utility!!

I was hoping to get some help on a problem I was having. I'm trying to achieve 4k HDR gamestreaming to my nvidia shield and due to windows 10 absurdities, it only streams a lot of titles in HDR when the main windows 10 HDR toggle is on, which means you need your primary monitor to be HDR capable.

What I was trying as a workaround is that I bought a fit-Headless GS (HDMI display emulator) and was trying to use CRU to edit it's extension block data to mimic my LG B8 OLED's extension block and force HDR to this headless display but it doesn't seem to work.

Do you know if it's possible in anyway to force windows to recognize this headless HDMI emulator as HDR compatible?

Thanks!
07-30-2019, 04:54 PM (Last edited: 07-30-2019, 04:57 PM by ubipusibievacua)
ToastyX! CRU's been greatly appreciated, as is your continued desire to help users out with tech support Smile

Have an Acer ET322QU that has a stated max refresh of 75hz with DP and Freesync. With custom resolution from Nvidia's control panel, I was able to OC it to 76hz, but when going any further (i.e. increasing it to 77+hz) the screen goes black and I get message: "No Input Detected."

So I open up CRU and I see this window:
[Image: RZpypfe.png]

I'm noticing that in Detailed Resolutions in "Range Limits" the Max Pixel clock is set to 300mhz, much lower than the theoretical max limit for DP and suspiciously close to the hz needed for 1440p@75hz. So is there any reason why I couldn't just increase that to, say, 340hz in order to get more headroom for increasing the refresh rate? Would there be any other setting changes necessary in order to test this out? Essentially, I'm trying to figure out what the true reason is for the complete signal dropoff after 76hz; up until now I thought it must have been panel constraints, but this has me thinking it might be some pre-specified setting limitation by the manufacturer, since I'd expect there to be some artifacting prior to the signal become undetectable, or is this incorrect?
07-30-2019, 06:26 PM
(07-30-2019 04:54 PM)ubipusibievacua Wrote:  I'm noticing that in Detailed Resolutions in "Range Limits" the Max Pixel clock is set to 300mhz, much lower than the theoretical max limit for DP and suspiciously close to the hz needed for 1440p@75hz. So is there any reason why I couldn't just increase that to, say, 340hz in order to get more headroom for increasing the refresh rate? Would there be any other setting changes necessary in order to test this out? Essentially, I'm trying to figure out what the true reason is for the complete signal dropoff after 76hz; up until now I thought it must have been panel constraints, but this has me thinking it might be some pre-specified setting limitation by the manufacturer, since I'd expect there to be some artifacting prior to the signal become undetectable, or is this incorrect?
The range limits is informational and wouldn't affect what the monitor accepts. The refresh rate is restricted by the monitor's firmware. There's no way to override that with software.