Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
12-19-2019, 08:14 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42-R3VU

AMD Ryzen 5 2500U
AMD Radeon RX560X
Panel: LP156WFC-SPP1 (60hz IPS, disabled FreeSync)

FreeSync-Settings
V rate: 35 & 99
H rate: 111 & 111
max pixel clock 230 MHz

works fine with 99.524 Hz - so 100hz with FreeSync for free Wink

now its a Budget-MONSTER!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2019, 08:27 PM
(12-19-2019 05:42 PM)LeasExni Wrote:  Hello everyone, I'm having a scaling issue with a custom 4k resolution.

I'm trying to use CRU because I can't DSR with an Optimus enabled notebook (my display is attached to my iGPU and I have an RTX 2080 dGPU). I can't view any custom resolution or DSR related settings in the NVCP and I need to make custom resolution to gamestream 4k to my TV's shield.

I have a GE75 Raider MSI notebook with a 1920 x 1080p, 144hz native display.

I have made a 3840 x 2160 @60hz within CRU with no problems. I have done this with standard, native, and even reduced timing. I run the restart tool and reboot my computer where the display option is shown in Windows and my Intel Graphics Command Center where my display settings are. I can set it to my new custom resolution, it's crisp and clear, no flickering, or blackouts, but it's zoomed in and only showing the top left hand quadrant of my display.

It doesn't matter if I set my Intel's scaling settings to stretched, center, maintain aspect ratio, or maintain display ratio. I do not know what the cause of this is. I don't know if back porch, front porch, sync width, etc... could have anything to do with it, but I have tried multiples of x2, x4, and used all the automatic timings. I have also tried 73.XXXhz, 60hz, 30hz, and 15hz If anyone could help me scale to fit, I will be very grateful.
CRU does not create scaled resolutions. You are sending 3840x2160 to a 1920x1080 display, and the display hardware is deciding to show the upper-left portion, not the software. You also don't want 3840x2160 to be the first detailed resolution because that is considered the native resolution, so it's never scaled. If GPU scaling is enabled, other resolutions will be scaled to the first detailed resolution, but I don't know if Intel GPUs will scale down higher resolutions. AMD and NVIDIA GPUs will only scale lower resolutions with GPU scaling enabled.
12-19-2019, 08:31 PM
(12-19-2019 08:27 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-19-2019 05:42 PM)LeasExni Wrote:  Hello everyone, I'm having a scaling issue with a custom 4k resolution.

I'm trying to use CRU because I can't DSR with an Optimus enabled notebook (my display is attached to my iGPU and I have an RTX 2080 dGPU). I can't view any custom resolution or DSR related settings in the NVCP and I need to make custom resolution to gamestream 4k to my TV's shield.

I have a GE75 Raider MSI notebook with a 1920 x 1080p, 144hz native display.

I have made a 3840 x 2160 @60hz within CRU with no problems. I have done this with standard, native, and even reduced timing. I run the restart tool and reboot my computer where the display option is shown in Windows and my Intel Graphics Command Center where my display settings are. I can set it to my new custom resolution, it's crisp and clear, no flickering, or blackouts, but it's zoomed in and only showing the top left hand quadrant of my display.

It doesn't matter if I set my Intel's scaling settings to stretched, center, maintain aspect ratio, or maintain display ratio. I do not know what the cause of this is. I don't know if back porch, front porch, sync width, etc... could have anything to do with it, but I have tried multiples of x2, x4, and used all the automatic timings. I have also tried 73.XXXhz, 60hz, 30hz, and 15hz If anyone could help me scale to fit, I will be very grateful.
CRU does not create scaled resolutions. You are sending 3840x2160 to a 1920x1080 display, and the display hardware is deciding to show the upper-left portion, not the software. You also don't want 3840x2160 to be the first detailed resolution because that is considered the native resolution, so it's never scaled. If GPU scaling is enabled, other resolutions will be scaled to the first detailed resolution, but I don't know if Intel GPUs will scale down higher resolutions. AMD and NVIDIA GPUs will only scale lower resolutions with GPU scaling enabled.

Do you think buying a headless adapter connected to my dGPU will fix this if I duplicate the monitor and enable GPU scaling? Or will it be a waste of time? I know my laptop's HDMI port bypasses my iGPU and has nvidia options except for DSR, not the display port or built in screen though. Thanks for the help either way Smile
12-20-2019, 08:34 PM
(12-19-2019 08:31 PM)LeasExni Wrote:  Do you think buying a headless adapter connected to my dGPU will fix this if I duplicate the monitor and enable GPU scaling? Or will it be a waste of time? I know my laptop's HDMI port bypasses my iGPU and has nvidia options except for DSR, not the display port or built in screen though. Thanks for the help either way Smile
I don't see how that would help.
12-22-2019, 11:27 AM (Last edited: 12-22-2019, 11:28 AM by xNety)
(12-20-2019 08:34 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-19-2019 08:31 PM)LeasExni Wrote:  Do you think buying a headless adapter connected to my dGPU will fix this if I duplicate the monitor and enable GPU scaling? Or will it be a waste of time? I know my laptop's HDMI port bypasses my iGPU and has nvidia options except for DSR, not the display port or built in screen though. Thanks for the help either way Smile
I don't see how that would help.

Hi ToastyX. Can you help please? I reinstall Windows today and now your program sees two monitors, when in fact it is one. After the reboot, my settings go wrong and I have to manually import settings.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-22-2019, 05:43 PM
(12-22-2019 11:27 AM)xNety Wrote:  Hi ToastyX. Can you help please? I reinstall Windows today and now your program sees two monitors, when in fact it is one. After the reboot, my settings go wrong and I have to manually import settings.
It's normal for there to be extra entries. They don't affect anything. The "(active)" entry is the one that matters. You can use the "Delete" button to remove the other one, but it will probably reappear after running restart.exe or when installing a new driver. I don't know what you mean by your settings go wrong. The settings should be preserved after a reboot.
12-23-2019, 01:35 PM (Last edited: 12-23-2019, 01:36 PM by xNety)
(12-22-2019 05:43 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-22-2019 11:27 AM)xNety Wrote:  Hi ToastyX. Can you help please? I reinstall Windows today and now your program sees two monitors, when in fact it is one. After the reboot, my settings go wrong and I have to manually import settings.
It's normal for there to be extra entries. They don't affect anything. The "(active)" entry is the one that matters. You can use the "Delete" button to remove the other one, but it will probably reappear after running restart.exe or when installing a new driver. I don't know what you mean by your settings go wrong. The settings should be preserved after a reboot.
thank you for answer. "settings" i mean my monitor refresh rate after PC reboot. Yes, after rebooting the PC in the program displays my saved refresh rate settings. But after rebooting the PC I need to run "restart.exe" so that the parameters are applied. There were no such problems on Windows 10 1903. I think these are Windows 10 1709 issues (now my main OS). Sorry for potato language
12-23-2019, 02:05 PM
(12-23-2019 01:35 PM)xNety Wrote:  thank you for answer. "settings" i mean my monitor refresh rate after PC reboot. Yes, after rebooting the PC in the program displays my saved refresh rate settings. But after rebooting the PC I need to run "restart.exe" so that the parameters are applied. There were no such problems on Windows 10 1903. I think these are Windows 10 1709 issues (now my main OS). Sorry for potato language
That sounds like a graphics driver bug. What GPU do you have?
12-23-2019, 02:21 PM
(12-23-2019 02:05 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-23-2019 01:35 PM)xNety Wrote:  thank you for answer. "settings" i mean my monitor refresh rate after PC reboot. Yes, after rebooting the PC in the program displays my saved refresh rate settings. But after rebooting the PC I need to run "restart.exe" so that the parameters are applied. There were no such problems on Windows 10 1903. I think these are Windows 10 1709 issues (now my main OS). Sorry for potato language
That sounds like a graphics driver bug. What GPU do you have?
Asus Strix GTX 960 OC 2gb. 441.41 driver version
12-25-2019, 07:27 AM
With version 1.4.2 installed, when attempting to install nVidia drivers newer than 436.48, a black system recovery / safe mode screen appears - need to reset software settings to default, to install new drivers. But after they are installed (for example 441.66), if I activate my resolution, the same black screen appears. Monitor: Samsung S20B300N, Video card: GV-N960IXOC-4GD, ОS: Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64.

P.S. I apologize for the language, English is not my native, use an online translator.