Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
12-25-2019, 10:37 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(12-25-2019 07:27 AM)KT03T0 Wrote:  With version 1.4.2 installed, when attempting to install nVidia drivers newer than 436.48, a black system recovery / safe mode screen appears - need to reset software settings to default, to install new drivers. But after they are installed (for example 441.66), if I activate my resolution, the same black screen appears. Monitor: Samsung S20B300N, Video card: GV-N960IXOC-4GD, ОS: Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64.
I don't see how that can happen. CRU doesn't change anything related to system startup, so there has to be another factor involved. I'm not sure what it could be because I haven't heard of this happening before.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-25-2019, 10:42 PM
(12-23-2019 02:21 PM)xNety Wrote:  Asus Strix GTX 960 OC 2gb. 441.41 driver version
That's strange. The fact that it works after running restart.exe means the settings are saved correctly, but the graphics driver is not applying the override on system startup for some reason. Maybe it has to do with using a newer driver with an older version of Windows 10.
12-27-2019, 04:30 AM
(12-25-2019 10:37 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  ...I haven't heard of this happening before.
Perhaps nVidia changed something in drivers after 436.48 - there was no such problem with this version, and before it.
01-02-2020, 02:24 AM (Last edited: 01-02-2020, 02:25 AM by ExBaTri)
Hello,

I found this place and the CRU tool because of an old thread on Reddit. I was searching for a solution for the high idle speeds on my RTX2070 when using a multi monitor setup.

On my previous computer, running Windows 7 with a 1070, I had the same problem. There I was able to "solve" the problem simply by reducing the refresh rate from 144Hz to 120Hz.

On my new computer running Windows 10 and a new RTX 2070 Super this no longer works. No matter which refresh rates I choose, and no matter which combination of refresh rates I choose, the idle speed of the card sticks to 1600Mhz. The only thing that helps so far is using the 3rd Party tool nVidia Inspector.

Unfortunately ppl still recommenc the "solution" that worked on Windows 7 but as I said this is no longer the case. So I was pretty excited when I found this thread on reddit.

He wrote that, although Windows 10 shows the same refresh rate for both displays it actually isn't the same internally and that prevent the card from going to idle. He was able to solve it by creating a custom profile using CRU and applying it to both monitors so they both us the excact same refresh rates.

I tried to read everything, even all the CRT, HDMI and old stuff that doesn't apply to me, and worked myself up to page 264 but I'm lost. All the tools I know, nVidia Inspector, GPU-Z and so on do indeed show the same values for both monitors. And, while I was able to create a profile in CRU, I created one on both monitors for 120Hz, I fail do see where I can change to said profile. The monitor options of Windows 10 as well as the nVdia panel still only show the "normal" 120Hz as well as the other refresh rates? Do I have to delete the standard ones?

Am I stupid? What I'm doing wrong?

Windows 10 1909
nVidia 441.66
CRU 1.4.2
RTX 2070 Super
2x exact same 1440p GSync monitors (even the same revision)
Display Port

Thank you in advance.
01-02-2020, 03:17 PM
(01-02-2020 02:24 AM)ExBaTri Wrote:  I found this place and the CRU tool because of an old thread on Reddit. I was searching for a solution for the high idle speeds on my RTX2070 when using a multi monitor setup.

On my previous computer, running Windows 7 with a 1070, I had the same problem. There I was able to "solve" the problem simply by reducing the refresh rate from 144Hz to 120Hz.

On my new computer running Windows 10 and a new RTX 2070 Super this no longer works. No matter which refresh rates I choose, and no matter which combination of refresh rates I choose, the idle speed of the card sticks to 1600Mhz. The only thing that helps so far is using the 3rd Party tool nVidia Inspector.

Unfortunately ppl still recommenc the "solution" that worked on Windows 7 but as I said this is no longer the case. So I was pretty excited when I found this thread on reddit.

He wrote that, although Windows 10 shows the same refresh rate for both displays it actually isn't the same internally and that prevent the card from going to idle. He was able to solve it by creating a custom profile using CRU and applying it to both monitors so they both us the excact same refresh rates.

I tried to read everything, even all the CRT, HDMI and old stuff that doesn't apply to me, and worked myself up to page 264 but I'm lost. All the tools I know, nVidia Inspector, GPU-Z and so on do indeed show the same values for both monitors. And, while I was able to create a profile in CRU, I created one on both monitors for 120Hz, I fail do see where I can change to said profile. The monitor options of Windows 10 as well as the nVdia panel still only show the "normal" 120Hz as well as the other refresh rates? Do I have to delete the standard ones?

Am I stupid? What I'm doing wrong?
Windows can only list one 120 Hz refresh rate, so the one that's listed first takes precedence. You should edit the existing one in the extension block instead of adding a new one, but if you have two of the same monitor, then they should be the same already.

The problem you had on your other computer with Windows 7 is a different problem. If the vertical blanking is too low, the GPU won't have enough time to reduce the memory clock and retrain the memory when idle without screen corruption, and the vertical blanking was probably reduced at 144 Hz to fit within pixel clock limits, so setting 120 Hz worked around that problem. Increasing the vertical blanking for 144 Hz would fix that problem.

The problem other people are describing with Windows 10 is also a different problem. If you have two monitors with different timing parameters, the vertical blanking periods won't be synchronized, so there won't be time to reduce the memory clock without affecting one of the monitors. In that case, using CRU to make sure the timing parameters are the same will fix that problem.

Your problem sounds like a driver bug. If the timing parameters are the same already, then there shouldn't be any issues with clocking down when idle at 120 Hz. You can try increasing the vertical blanking for both monitors at 120 Hz and see if that makes a difference, but in reality, you shouldn't have to do anything special to make this work with two identical monitors.
01-02-2020, 10:54 PM (Last edited: 01-02-2020, 10:55 PM by ExBaTri)
Thanks for your answer. And thank you for trying to help me.

I haven't had a change to do further testing today. And I'm not sure how and/or were to increase vertical blanking yet but I will figure it out.

Is vertical blanking automatically increased the lower the refresh rate is set to? Cause the high idle speed is present even at 60/60Hz. Needless to say it's also there at 100/100, 120/120, 144/144 and ever combination of higher and lower refresh rates. And I think I tested them all.

What really kills me is that the release notes of nVidia's driver version 416.81 from November 2018 list "[Turing GPU]: Multi-monitor idle power draw is very high. [2400161]" as fixed issue. Unfortunately the Super cards were not yet supported by that driver release.
01-02-2020, 11:21 PM
(01-02-2020 10:54 PM)ExBaTri Wrote:  Is vertical blanking automatically increased the lower the refresh rate is set to? Cause the high idle speed is present even at 60/60Hz. Needless to say it's also there at 100/100, 120/120, 144/144 and ever combination of higher and lower refresh rates. And I think I tested them all.
It's the opposite. Vertical blanking is lower at lower refresh rates because the data is being sent slower at lower refresh rates. The vertical blanking needs to be increased at higher refresh rates to keep the same amount of time. Standard timing parameters should already account for this. The fact that it still happens at 60 Hz tells me this is a driver issue and not an issue with the timing parameters.
01-03-2020, 02:57 PM
Thank you very much for the help and explanation
01-04-2020, 03:00 AM
I just want to let you know that I solved the problem thanks to your hint with the buggy driver. After saying goodbye to the 44x branch, and by installing 436.48 instead, idle speeds are fine.

This has nothing to do with CRU but maybe some ppl like me, with the same problem, come here looking for help.

And thank you once again.
01-04-2020, 06:40 PM (Last edited: 01-04-2020, 08:10 PM by Hitsuji007)
Hello,

when i open CRU and try to edit my monitors (extension blocks), i dont have the option for TV-Resolution (only audio formats and speaker setup is shown), and when i try to add my resolution manually i dont have the resolution as an option.

I have two 2560x1440 and one 3440x1440 monitors.
Asus PG348q and AsusPG27VQ

I got a GTX1080 and use 3 DisplayPorts.

I hope you can help me.