Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-30-2020, 07:21 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Im kindle asking any persont to look into my issue please!

i have thinkpad t440p with intel 4600 and gt730M i tried on all windowses and all intel drivers i tried the alt method too i did everything but cru does not change anything nor intel control panel do.

help us we thinkpad t440p users can not get higher than 60hz Sad
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2020, 09:17 PM
(06-30-2020 06:48 PM)gamingarena Wrote:  I have a problem i'm on Windows 10 2004 with newest Nvidia Drivers 451.48,
Once i try to add a standard resolution for my monitor 1080p/60hz and do restart64.exe, after driver restart i can't access Nvidia Control Panel at all, or in rare occasion im able to access i can only see "developer" option everything else is gone like "3D Settings", "Display" and "Video"

So adding standard Resolution beats the purpose if i can't access my control panel to enable Surround or do anything else.
Is this a known bug or is there a workaround for this? The driver is Nvidia Studio Driver!
What about if you reboot instead of running restart64.exe?
06-30-2020, 09:18 PM
(06-30-2020 07:21 PM)4700mq Wrote:  Im kindle asking any persont to look into my issue please!

i have thinkpad t440p with intel 4600 and gt730M i tried on all windowses and all intel drivers i tried the alt method too i did everything but cru does not change anything nor intel control panel do.

help us we thinkpad t440p users can not get higher than 60hz Sad
What do you expect me to do? I already told you I can't do anything. I provided two methods and neither of them work for you, so this is an issue that only Intel can fix.
06-30-2020, 11:33 PM (Last edited: 07-01-2020, 12:01 AM by polopretress)
Hello ToastyX.
First, thank you for this software.
Second, sorry i am not US native speaker. Then some possible issues in my explanation/comment can be done...
Third, i apologize for my (certainly) long post but i need to define the context first.

I am a HTPC user and my need is only to build a custom resolution that will be used in priority against the standard EDID coming from my receiver (Video Projector or TV).
So no need high FPS. Only standard FPS for movies ( 23.97602.. / 24.000 / 50.000 progressive) but perfectly accurate to have "no drop frames rate" (i accept 10/12 hours ...)

In this spirit , i have created a calculator under excel that helps me to give the "ideal" combinaison for setting up a custom resolution (pixel clock, total pixel H/V, Front porch H/V etc... and taking into account the clock deviation given by madVr that i am using for enhanced video rendering).

Few years ago (2), i had an ATI GPU and this was very easy to create "exotic" custom resolutions that differs a lot from the default settings to obtain the perfect display clock. No issue for me directly in the driver since the pixel clock can be modified easely without any blocking warning. (not the case for nvidia cards...)
With this card, i have tried also to use CRU without any issue but it was useless for me since ATI driver accepts directly my settings.

When i say "without any issue", it is also because i have found that on some projector /TV that was rejecting my settings , it was easy to "work around" by creating a custom resolution at the double of the targeted resolution ( ie : 47.952 for 23.976) and set it as a 23976 resolution.
Then the EDID of the receiver is not followed and my settings is applied. (i am not sure i am clear enough ....)

OK, then i have switched to Nvidia GPU (GTX1080) and this driver get me crazy because it did not accept what i was able to do with ATI...
Then i tried with CRU but without succes for all devices receivers ( some of them was working fine and some others did reject the settings.. for example Sony and JVC VP but working great on Epson !!! )
When i say "did reject", it is mainly because after a reboot, the EDID of the receiver was tacken instead of the custom resolution (so no black screen linked to my custom settings but simply ignore...).

At that time , i was only using "detailed resolutions" tab in your software (1.3.1) to create a custom res.

NOW. TODAY.

I have seen some evolution in your software (1.4.2). Maybe a possiblity to clean my issue that i still have with nvidia driver. (i have found a setting that is correctly working but not perfect as i expect). only 23.97590 for a target at 23.97602.. and i want more accuracy that is able to provide me my home calculator (6 digits behind the coma) even if it will not change the world Smile.
In addition, that works correctly for me but some others users (contact of me) cannot succeed to create custom res with nvidia driver and their receiver. And my goal is to find a common method that works fine for any of receiver and GPU card.

My first question (of newbie) that is not related to my problem is :
Shall i use "restart.exe" or "restart64.exe" to override edid if i use win 64 bits ? (i guess it is restart64.exe but need to be sure because your first page is talking only on "restart.exe")

My others questions are :
- I have a contact that has succed to create a custom res by using "Extension Blocks" / 'DisplayID" / "detailed resolutions" that i have never used. Do you confirm that it could work better than using the standard tab "detailed resolutions" ?
- And, when you are selecting "displayID" you must choose between " detailed resolutions" and "titles display topology" ==> i suppose that the second option is not important for my need ?
- in fact, is it better to use "DisplayID" or "CEA-861" for my need ?

Thnak you !
07-01-2020, 12:33 AM
(06-30-2020 11:33 PM)polopretress Wrote:  My first question (of newbie) that is not related to my problem is :
Shall i use "restart.exe" or "restart64.exe" to override edid if i use win 64 bits ? (i guess it is restart64.exe but need to be sure because your first page is talking only on "restart.exe")
Running restart.exe on a 64-bit system just calls restart64.exe, so it doesn't matter.

(06-30-2020 11:33 PM)polopretress Wrote:  My others questions are :
- I have a contact that has succed to create a custom res by using "Extension Blocks" / 'DisplayID" / "detailed resolutions" that i have never used. Do you confirm that it could work better than using the standard tab "detailed resolutions" ?
- And, when you are selecting "displayID" you must choose between " detailed resolutions" and "titles display topology" ==> i suppose that the second option is not important for my need ?
- in fact, is it better to use "DisplayID" or "CEA-861" for my need ?
It shouldn't matter. DisplayID allows entering higher numbers, but you shouldn't need that for what you're doing. You don't need the tiled display topology.
07-01-2020, 02:02 AM
(06-30-2020 09:17 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-30-2020 06:48 PM)gamingarena Wrote:  I have a problem i'm on Windows 10 2004 with newest Nvidia Drivers 451.48,
Once i try to add a standard resolution for my monitor 1080p/60hz and do restart64.exe, after driver restart i can't access Nvidia Control Panel at all, or in rare occasion im able to access i can only see "developer" option everything else is gone like "3D Settings", "Display" and "Video"

So adding standard Resolution beats the purpose if i can't access my control panel to enable Surround or do anything else.
Is this a known bug or is there a workaround for this? The driver is Nvidia Studio Driver!
What about if you reboot instead of running restart64.exe?

I did that too i tried everything possible every time i add standard resolution the Control panel options disappear
As soon as i do "reset all" and then restart64.exe everything is back to normal
Very strange and annoying bug
07-01-2020, 05:43 PM
(07-01-2020 02:02 AM)gamingarena Wrote:  I did that too i tried everything possible every time i add standard resolution the Control panel options disappear
What monitor is this?
07-01-2020, 06:20 PM
(07-01-2020 05:43 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-01-2020 02:02 AM)gamingarena Wrote:  I did that too i tried everything possible every time i add standard resolution the Control panel options disappear
What monitor is this?

Acer XB271HU 1440p 165hz IPS Gsync
07-01-2020, 08:14 PM
(07-01-2020 06:20 PM)gamingarena Wrote:  Acer XB271HU 1440p 165hz IPS Gsync
I don't get it. You shouldn't have to add 1080p. It should already exist as a scaled resolution.
07-01-2020, 08:22 PM
(07-01-2020 08:14 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-01-2020 06:20 PM)gamingarena Wrote:  Acer XB271HU 1440p 165hz IPS Gsync
I don't get it. You shouldn't have to add 1080p. It should already exist as a scaled resolution.

I'm trying to setup surround with triple screen which other 2 are only 1080p screens so when i go to surround it gives me single option of 3x 1024x768 resolution.
There is workaround if you add standard resolution to my Acer 27" 1440p of 1080p/60hz then surround will see all 3 screens as 3x 1080p so i can setup properly triple screen with 5760x1080 instead of 3072x768 which is default now.

So for some reason since Acer XB271HU has no standard resolution listed at all Surround defaults to 1024x768 as only resolution i can select

Here is the video with the problme that most people have and this guy fixed it with your Utility
I have the same exact problem as him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAjV40CnAeA