Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-09-2020, 01:26 AM (Last edited: 08-09-2020, 01:27 AM by evanft)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-08-2020 11:38 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-08-2020 08:50 PM)evanft Wrote:  Hello. I am experiencing an issue where Windows 10/nVidia believe my Denon receiver has a native resolution of 1080p. Because of this, some games will refuse to output above 1080p, even if I my resolution set to 4k in Windows and nVidia Control Panel.

I've been experimenting with CRU to see if I can fix this, and I have been able to correct the issue by adding 4k as one of detailed resolutions and then deleting all the "TV resolutions" in the extension block except for 4k. Unfortunately, doing this also causes me to lose sound output entirely. Looking at the INF I'm using, it appears that the sound information is indeed there, but it somehow isn't registering:
Make sure the 4K detailed resolution using "LCD standard" timing. The pixel clock should be 594 MHz. Also, make sure there is one slot left for the monitor name. I remember NVIDIA's driver having a bug that would disable audio if the monitor name wasn't included.

The name slot trick worked. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2020, 08:10 PM (Last edited: 08-12-2020, 08:14 PM by jaikomodo)
Hi there!

Could I get some help with this software? I've followed the instructions as closely as possible and I still cannot change (via settings and display adapter properties) nor see the custom resolutions anywhere. The monitor I want to change the resolution of is the same as my main monitor but is hooked up as follows (main monitor using USB to DVI-D), Computer>USB Dock>USB to HDMI adapter (drivers installed, I think the issue is here)>HDMI to HDMI cable>HDMI to DVI-D adapter>Monitor. Right now as of writing this message, the monitor I want to change the res of is flickering because it is running on 800 by 600 at 60 Hz (which I think is unsupported by the monitor itself, highest res on monitor is 1920 by 1080). Thanks in advance for all the help!

- Jai

NOTE: when changing the resolution settings in CRU, I exported my main monitor's (same monitor, different adapters) setting (.bin) and imported them into the monitor I am trying to change.
08-12-2020, 08:50 PM
(08-12-2020 08:10 PM)jaikomodo Wrote:  Could I get some help with this software? I've followed the instructions as closely as possible and I still cannot change (via settings and display adapter properties) nor see the custom resolutions anywhere. The monitor I want to change the resolution of is the same as my main monitor but is hooked up as follows (main monitor using USB to DVI-D), Computer>USB Dock>USB to HDMI adapter (drivers installed, I think the issue is here)>HDMI to HDMI cable>HDMI to DVI-D adapter>Monitor. Right now as of writing this message, the monitor I want to change the res of is flickering because it is running on 800 by 600 at 60 Hz (which I think is unsupported by the monitor itself, highest res on monitor is 1920 by 1080). Thanks in advance for all the help!
The driver for USB graphics (usually DisplayLink) doesn't support EDID overrides. I don't know if they provide a way to add custom resolutions.
08-12-2020, 10:08 PM (Last edited: 08-12-2020, 10:33 PM by jaikomodo)
(08-12-2020 08:50 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-12-2020 08:10 PM)jaikomodo Wrote:  Could I get some help with this software? I've followed the instructions as closely as possible and I still cannot change (via settings and display adapter properties) nor see the custom resolutions anywhere. The monitor I want to change the resolution of is the same as my main monitor but is hooked up as follows (main monitor using USB to DVI-D), Computer>USB Dock>USB to HDMI adapter (drivers installed, I think the issue is here)>HDMI to HDMI cable>HDMI to DVI-D adapter>Monitor. Right now as of writing this message, the monitor I want to change the res of is flickering because it is running on 800 by 600 at 60 Hz (which I think is unsupported by the monitor itself, highest res on monitor is 1920 by 1080). Thanks in advance for all the help!
The driver for USB graphics (usually DisplayLink) doesn't support EDID overrides. I don't know if they provide a way to add custom resolutions.
That kinda sucks because I just re-set up my computer hoping for a 3 monitor setup. If you come across a way to help stop the flickering or change the resolution please let me know. Thanks!

QUICK EDIT: I realized it was not plugged into a USB 3.0 hub and instead a USB 2.0 so i swapped it and the resolution was fixed. Now my only issue is flickering and cutting out of the monitor (I think it has to do with a message I keep getting about the adapter not being compatible with my GPU but I have the drivers installed so I don't know why I keep getting the message). I can post a video if requested. Thanks for the more help!
08-12-2020, 11:55 PM
(08-12-2020 10:08 PM)jaikomodo Wrote:  QUICK EDIT: I realized it was not plugged into a USB 3.0 hub and instead a USB 2.0 so i swapped it and the resolution was fixed. Now my only issue is flickering and cutting out of the monitor (I think it has to do with a message I keep getting about the adapter not being compatible with my GPU but I have the drivers installed so I don't know why I keep getting the message). I can post a video if requested. Thanks for the more help!
Cutting out is usually a signal quality problem. It might be because you're going through two adapters, or the connection is loose.
08-16-2020, 06:14 PM
I am trying to get nvidia surround working on my 3 4k screens. I am running them at 2560x1440p 120hz. When I go to enable surround the only option is 4k resolution. I tried removing everything but 1440p resolution from detailed resolutions section but that still does not work, only 4k shows up in nvidia surround. I try to add 2560x1440 in standard resolutions section but there is no option for that and custom resolution does not allow me to add that resolution. Suggestions on what to try to get this to work? thanks!!
08-16-2020, 08:54 PM
(08-16-2020 06:14 PM)linky Wrote:  I am trying to get nvidia surround working on my 3 4k screens. I am running them at 2560x1440p 120hz. When I go to enable surround the only option is 4k resolution. I tried removing everything but 1440p resolution from detailed resolutions section but that still does not work, only 4k shows up in nvidia surround. I try to add 2560x1440 in standard resolutions section but there is no option for that and custom resolution does not allow me to add that resolution. Suggestions on what to try to get this to work? thanks!!
Did you remove the 4K TV resolutions in the extension block?
08-17-2020, 07:19 AM (Last edited: 08-17-2020, 07:22 AM by linky)
in extension block and under detailed resolutions? If so then yeah, the only res listed there is 2560x1440.

[Image: http://imgur.com/nBBT9Kw]

Or do I also need to go to TV resolutions under extension blocks and remove the 4k res's listed there as well?

[Image: http://imgur.com/VsZJMiC]
08-17-2020, 03:22 PM
(08-17-2020 07:19 AM)linky Wrote:  Or do I also need to go to TV resolutions under extension blocks and remove the 4k res's listed there as well?
Yes, if you want to remove 4K completely.
08-17-2020, 03:52 PM (Last edited: 08-17-2020, 03:53 PM by linky)
(08-17-2020 03:22 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-17-2020 07:19 AM)linky Wrote:  Or do I also need to go to TV resolutions under extension blocks and remove the 4k res's listed there as well?
Yes, if you want to remove 4K completely.

Okay but it will not allow me to add 2560x1440 in the tv resolutions, its not listed and when trying to add custom its asking for 0-255 or other sections (that does not have 0-255 option) the second you put in 2560 it goes red and not accepts it. Or do I not need to add in the res in that section?