Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
12-14-2020, 11:55 AM (Last edited: 12-14-2020, 01:13 PM by ship1666)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hi ToastyX and everyone, help me

I just buy three LG CX48 for sim racing. I never use triple monitor before. After I run Nvidia Surround, it does not work. There is only one resolution I can choose which is 12288x2160. After I apply, only one work with weird resolution. However, two others have no signal. I find solutions on YouTube that how I know CRU. I try to solve the problem step by step

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PatN3WYoEo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAjV40CnAeA&t=29s

However, it does not work. As a result, there is only one resolution I can choose which is 12288x2160. I do not know how to go on so please guild me how can I run Nvidia Surround with 5760x1080 or 7680x1440

Therefore, I attach 4 picture in here which are my computer spec and information of CX48 in CRU

PS. I use three normal display port to hdmi adaptor.

Sincerely

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2020, 05:15 PM (Last edited: 12-14-2020, 05:16 PM by Ughduty)
Not working on Microsoft Surface Pro 7
Hi ToastyX,

I used your tool for years on older Micrsoft Surface Pro 3, 4 and 6 and it worked fine. Thank you for providing a free tool like CRU. However on my new Microsoft Surface Pro 7 it always results in a black screen after I restart the Surface. I tried different 3:2 resolutions but it's always the same. I'm using the latest version if CRU. Do you have any idea how to resolve this? Btw. with the old "Intel Graphics Command Center" v1.100.2731.0 I was able to add the desired resolutions but would prefer to continue using CRU.

Kind Regards
Ughduty
12-14-2020, 05:49 PM
(12-14-2020 04:44 AM)Epic753 Wrote:  I had 4 day's no failures when I just posted that question a little earlier. I thought it was resolved but ten minutes ago after I posted the question it happened again, nvlddmkm in event viewer during all occurrences.

I followed the instructions in this link (did not reset the audio settings in steps 4-11).

I had no issues till just now. Web browsing, seems it might be related to youtube/scrolling. Display freezes and or mouse freeze then black screen then recovers..

So now i'm not sure if this helped or the issue got less intermittent. It was happening 1-3 times a day, since brand new build. It seemed like CRU fixed it. And I don't know if the CRU settings can "improve" the issue.

https://motherbear.home.blog/2019/12/10/...creen-fix/
That doesn't sound like the same problem. Do you have the Lenovo Legion Y27q-20? The problem in the link describes a monitor-specific issue with certain frame rates not working correctly with G-SYNC. Your problem sounds like the driver is crashing, which could be a hardware issue. What does the nvlddmkm event in the event viewer say?
12-14-2020, 05:52 PM
(12-14-2020 11:30 AM)Aidorin Wrote:  Yes, the LG CX has a VRR range of 40-120. But, from what I have understood so far, what I should do is to reduce that range, not to 'expand' it (as you said). And yes, the LG CX also has a BFI system, but it reduces the brightness and image quality, and as you correctly said, the VRR cannot be used at the same time as the BFI.

What I thought that perhaps could be achieved with those ideas that come out in the Reddit post that I put and your CRU program, is that Nvidia's LFC maybe would do something similar to what the BFI does, and it would eliminate the motion blur but without loss of brightness and quality.

Well, it is a bit difficult to speculate about all this, because this are techniques that I do not quite understand how they work, so speculation is even more difficult. Perhaps it would be best to start testing and see the results, although I'm not sure where I should start. With a 90-120 range custom VRR?
Reducing the range to 90-120 would cause frame doubling at 45-60, which you said you were trying to avoid. If the range is 40-120, then it's only doing frame doubling below 40 FPS. Either way, that's not going to affect motion blur. The link was talking about brightness flickering and overdrive artifacts causing ghosting, not motion blur. BFI is the only way to reduce motion blur.
12-14-2020, 06:02 PM
(12-14-2020 11:55 AM)ship1666 Wrote:  I just buy three LG CX48 for sim racing. I never use triple monitor before. After I run Nvidia Surround, it does not work. There is only one resolution I can choose which is 12288x2160. After I apply, only one work with weird resolution. However, two others have no signal. I find solutions on YouTube that how I know CRU. I try to solve the problem step by step
The problem is Surround chooses the highest resolution (3 x 4096x2160) for the main resolution, so you'll have to delete any resolutions that you don't want to use.

1. Disable all the established resolutions
2. Delete all the standard resolutions
3. Delete the TV resolutions data block in the extension block
4. Delete the HDMI resolutions in the HDMI data block (do not delete the HDMI data block)
5. Delete any 4:2:0 resolutions and capability map data blocks if they exist
6. Delete all the detailed resolutions in the extension block and the main page

Then create one detailed resolution on the main page using "LCD standard" for the resolution you want to use for each monitor, such as 2560x1440, which will give you 7680x1440. Then use the copy and paste buttons at the top of the main page to copy the configuration to all the other monitors. Then reboot and set up Surround.
12-14-2020, 06:02 PM
(12-14-2020 05:15 PM)Ughduty Wrote:  I used your tool for years on older Micrsoft Surface Pro 3, 4 and 6 and it worked fine. Thank you for providing a free tool like CRU. However on my new Microsoft Surface Pro 7 it always results in a black screen after I restart the Surface. I tried different 3:2 resolutions but it's always the same. I'm using the latest version if CRU. Do you have any idea how to resolve this? Btw. with the old "Intel Graphics Command Center" v1.100.2731.0 I was able to add the desired resolutions but would prefer to continue using CRU.
I'm suspecting a driver bug. Does the problem happen with any change?

Run reset-all.exe and reboot. Then install this program: https://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Then run MonInfo and choose the "Real-time" display. Then save a .bin file and post it here.
12-14-2020, 10:15 PM (Last edited: 12-14-2020, 11:16 PM by Epic753)
(12-14-2020 05:49 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-14-2020 04:44 AM)Epic753 Wrote:  I had 4 day's no failures when I just posted that question a little earlier. I thought it was resolved but ten minutes ago after I posted the question it happened again, nvlddmkm in event viewer during all occurrences.

I followed the instructions in this link (did not reset the audio settings in steps 4-11).

I had no issues till just now. Web browsing, seems it might be related to youtube/scrolling. Display freezes and or mouse freeze then black screen then recovers..

So now i'm not sure if this helped or the issue got less intermittent. It was happening 1-3 times a day, since brand new build. It seemed like CRU fixed it. And I don't know if the CRU settings can "improve" the issue.

https://motherbear.home.blog/2019/12/10/...creen-fix/
That doesn't sound like the same problem. Do you have the Lenovo Legion Y27q-20? The problem in the link describes a monitor-specific issue with certain frame rates not working correctly with G-SYNC. Your problem sounds like the driver is crashing, which could be a hardware issue. What does the nvlddmkm event in the event viewer say?

Yes I have the lenovo-legion-Y27q-20. I agree that link does not apply to the nvlddmkm fault directly but I tried CRU anyway as described in link. And it worked for 4 days until CRU defaulted back to original settings as described below, please continue reading.

I just found out that somewhere along the line my CRU settings defaulted back to normal. I did not find that until just recently. So the reason for the crash after 4 days of none is because the CRU fix went away. It stands that if I apply the CRU settings per that link my issue is masked/fixed by CRU.

As far as nvlddmkm this is what it says:

Error- nvlddmkm

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3

Warning: I also found this warning correlated to the above error

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I agree it could be an nvidia driver crashing or bad GPU or any other computer hardware actually. But why does CRU fix it? In other words how can CRU settings "fix" a potential driver/hardware issue? Because that seems to be the case! :-)

I'm mainly trying to ensure I do not have actual faulty hardware in my build. Hoping it is in fact firmware/driver/settings related.

Edit: I have Hwinfo picture from crash and logs I would like to share if this helps.
12-14-2020, 11:19 PM
(12-14-2020 10:15 PM)Epic753 Wrote:  I agree it could be an nvidia driver crashing or bad GPU or any other computer hardware actually. But why does CRU fix it? In other words how can CRU settings "fix" a potential driver/hardware issue? Because that seems to be the case! :-)
Does the problem happen without using CRU if you disable G-SYNC in the NVIDIA control panel?
12-14-2020, 11:46 PM (Last edited: 12-15-2020, 09:50 PM by Epic753)
(12-14-2020 11:19 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-14-2020 10:15 PM)Epic753 Wrote:  I agree it could be an nvidia driver crashing or bad GPU or any other computer hardware actually. But why does CRU fix it? In other words how can CRU settings "fix" a potential driver/hardware issue? Because that seems to be the case! :-)
Does the problem happen without using CRU if you disable G-SYNC in the NVIDIA control panel?

I have not tried that. For better or worse I successfully looked at some data charts I logged with hwinfo and I clearly see voltage issues and some related spikes.

Here some images from hwinfo: I have many more.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nQDMqIr...sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wpo3s89...sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17fjAuBc...sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DesonLe...sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NVBmoE8...sp=sharing

Would you still advise disabling CRU and turning off g-sync in attempt to reproduce issue? Is that voltage drop clearly NOT firmware/drivers/settings related? I seem to not get that drop with CRU modified settings! :-)

Edit: I set CRU back to default settings and disabled g-sync in nvidia control panel. The exact issue occurred again with same nvlddmkm fault.

I have re-installed CRU patch and turned g-sync back on thank you

With custom CRU settings to the following I do not get black screens:

CRU settings:

1) Display Properties V rate to 60 from 48 (final range 60 to 165)
2) Delete all monitor audio settings
3) Change detailed resolution to:
1. Front porch to 8
2. Total to 2640 pixels and 1559
3. Sync Polarity to -
4. Refresh Rate to 165hz
12-15-2020, 06:59 AM (Last edited: 12-15-2020, 07:01 AM by ship1666)
(12-14-2020 06:02 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-14-2020 11:55 AM)ship1666 Wrote:  I just buy three LG CX48 for sim racing. I never use triple monitor before. After I run Nvidia Surround, it does not work. There is only one resolution I can choose which is 12288x2160. After I apply, only one work with weird resolution. However, two others have no signal. I find solutions on YouTube that how I know CRU. I try to solve the problem step by step
The problem is Surround chooses the highest resolution (3 x 4096x2160) for the main resolution, so you'll have to delete any resolutions that you don't want to use.

1. Disable all the established resolutions
2. Delete all the standard resolutions
3. Delete the TV resolutions data block in the extension block
4. Delete the HDMI resolutions in the HDMI data block (do not delete the HDMI data block)
5. Delete any 4:2:0 resolutions and capability map data blocks if they exist
6. Delete all the detailed resolutions in the extension block and the main page

Then create one detailed resolution on the main page using "LCD standard" for the resolution you want to use for each monitor, such as 2560x1440, which will give you 7680x1440. Then use the copy and paste buttons at the top of the main page to copy the configuration to all the other monitors. Then reboot and set up Surround.

Hi ToastyX

Thank a lot for your help I almost make it.

I follow your steps and what happen is I get the collect resolution to choose in NV surround after boot up. However, after I click apply, only one TV has signal and others two still has no signal. When I open NV surround, The resolution changes back to 2560x1440. In additional, for 1920x1080, the resolution shows blank space. Therefore, please see the attached pictures to check what I miss, thank a lot ToastyX.

PS. 5. Delete any 4:2:0 resolutions and capability map data blocks if they exist
- It means I have to delete the whole Video Capability and 4:2:0 Resolutions in Data Blocks right?

Thank you a lot for your kindness

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)