Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-23-2021, 11:36 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(06-23-2021 01:25 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  That would be a driver bug, but I don't know what circumstances trigger the bug because most people don't have that problem. Try disabling fast startup. If that doesn't help, run this on boot to work around the problem: https://www.monitortests.com/reload.zip

You seem spot-on about the driver. After installing recent 21.6.1 package, it somehow fix itself. Thanks anyway.
Although, freesync + frtc is still buggy with any version newer than 21.2.3, i.e. starting from the one, where devs got FRTC back to gui app.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2021, 02:16 PM
Hello

I'm new to CRU and im trying to set an exact 120hz refresh rate

my monitor when set to 120hz in nvidia control panel is 119.84 according to https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate

I tried adding a detailed setting in CRU, using the "exact" option with:
2560x1440 and 120hz

tried restart.exe and also a reboot of PC but no deal

I must be missing something as I'm stuck on 119.84
06-23-2021, 07:17 PM
(06-23-2021 02:16 PM)Vekknar Wrote:  I tried adding a detailed setting in CRU, using the "exact" option with:
2560x1440 and 120hz
Don't add a detailed resolution. Edit the existing 2560x1440 @ 120 Hz. Also, read the section about extension blocks.
06-25-2021, 09:48 PM (Last edited: 06-25-2021, 09:55 PM by nihaomiao)
(06-23-2021 01:22 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-20-2021 07:13 PM)nihaomiao Wrote:  Using CRU disabled freesync in the AMD driver saying "it's not supported".

All I did was:

Enable GPU scaling (needed it for something)
Notice windows removes the 75hz setting then which is the max my monitor supports.
Used CRU to simply add it back.
AMD driver disabled freesync.

Asus VG245
5700 XT
I don't see how you used CRU to add 75 Hz back when the monitor already defines 75 Hz, and enabling GPU scaling shouldn't disable refresh rates, so that seems like a driver bug. Try including the range limits using the "Edit..." button at the top. CRU doesn't normally include that, and it shouldn't be needed for HDMI FreeSync, but maybe that's another driver bug.

This is what CRU shows me (and I could sworn in the top block it used to say 75hz too before the recent windows/amd updates). Adding it in attachments.

Also images showing how the 75hz disappears once GPU scaling is selected.

What CRU shows me after the GPU scaling change seems identical to before, under the extension blocks edit too (since I'm on HDMI).

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-26-2021, 09:58 PM (Last edited: 06-26-2021, 10:06 PM by FPSMaster)
I've been using CRU now for a couple of days. My main goal is to minimize any Input Lag I have in games and use Display Scaling plus lower res for more stable Frames. I ran into couple of problems and saw its not working properly for some games.
When I follow those steps, and set a costume res (e.g costume: 1750p x 1080 / 144hz on my AOC 24g2u which have a native res of: 1920p 1080 144hz) it wont work for certain games like "Apex Legends".
Im sure my Display supports Display scaling, because in most games the display shows me the correct costume res/hz in the monitors information and in the windows "display" settings at "scanout resolution"!

My problem:
For example If I choose my costume res in Apex Legends (1750p x 1080 / 144hz) the game looks like it uses my costume res, but the monitor says: 1920p x 1080 / 120hz!!!
And If I choose a game given res !just for science! (e.g 1600p x 900) the monitor then shows me the costume res I created, so: 1750 x 1080p and 144hz! its really weird.

For games like PUBG, EFT, BF5 it works fine, I have no issues at all!

Its not working for: Apex Legends, SCUM (survival game)

What I have tried out to fix this issue and force Display scaling:
Tried out different costume res
Tried out different timings (Native PC, Native HDTV, Exact, Exact reduced... !!!LCD timing options are not given for me!!!)
Unchecked "Full Screen Optimization"
Tried out my HDMI cable
Choosed "display scaling" in my nvidia controle panel and checked "no scaling"

Side notes:

In the controle Panel where you can change the resolutions, there are 2 main categories. One is "Ultra-HD, HD, SD" and there is the native factory res and a max of 120HZ I can choose. So: 1920p x 1080 and 120HZ.
And the other section is called PC and there I have 1920p x 1080 and 144HZ, and there isnt shown "native".

Now, when I made my costume res its under "PC" and it shows "native". Its on top of all res. 1920P x 1080 is only at "Ultra-HD, HD, SD" now, and removed from "PC".

Idk if the controle panel infos could be important for my problem, its something which looked unusual for me. Maybe those infos are totally irrelevant idk! (I always used "adapter properties" to change my costume resolutions, and not the controle panel)

Monitor: AOC 24g2u, 1920P x 1080 144hz, 1gtg, Freesync (I have it fully disabled)
PC Specs: Gtx 970, Intel Xeon e3 1231 v3, 16GB ram 1600mhz dual channel, SSD

I really hope somebody can help me. I followed the exact instructions and also watched some youtube tutorials about CRU. If I thaught I made a mistake, I did a clean refresh of CRU and all Res, deleted monitor drivers and reinstalled them etc to avoid any issues. Thank you!

06-27-2021, 02:07 AM
(06-26-2021 09:58 PM)FPSMaster Wrote:  I've been using CRU now for a couple of days. My main goal is to minimize any Input Lag I have in games and use Display Scaling plus lower res for more stable Frames. I ran into couple of problems and saw its not working properly for some games.
When I follow those steps, and set a costume res (e.g costume: 1750p x 1080 / 144hz on my AOC 24g2u which have a native res of: 1920p 1080 144hz) it wont work for certain games like "Apex Legends".
Im sure my Display supports Display scaling, because in most games the display shows me the correct costume res/hz in the monitors information and in the windows "display" settings at "scanout resolution"!
I don't understand why NVIDIA users have an obsession with display scaling. NVIDIA's driver doesn't always offer display scaling in cases where it should be available, so I don't know what to say about this other than use GPU scaling.
06-27-2021, 02:07 AM
(06-25-2021 09:48 PM)nihaomiao Wrote:  This is what CRU shows me (and I could sworn in the top block it used to say 75hz too before the recent windows/amd updates). Adding it in attachments.

Also images showing how the 75hz disappears once GPU scaling is selected.

What CRU shows me after the GPU scaling change seems identical to before, under the extension blocks edit too (since I'm on HDMI).
The driver has a bug then. It's not taking into account standard resolutions when GPU scaling is enabled. Delete the 1920x1080 @ 75 Hz standard resolution and add it as a detailed resolution. Also, did you try including the range limits?
06-27-2021, 02:28 AM
(06-27-2021 02:07 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-26-2021 09:58 PM)FPSMaster Wrote:  I've been using CRU now for a couple of days. My main goal is to minimize any Input Lag I have in games and use Display Scaling plus lower res for more stable Frames. I ran into couple of problems and saw its not working properly for some games.
I don't understand why NVIDIA users have an obsession with display scaling. NVIDIA's driver doesn't always offer display scaling in cases where it should be available, so I don't know what to say about this other than use GPU scaling.

Well, because you get some extra ms input delay when using GPU scaling, especially if you're on an older GPU like I am. I'm playing FPS games 90% of the time, and I can feel differences in 10ms input delay easily. You can test it by yourselfe, just set Vsync on and you will get about 10-30 Ms input delay on top of your whole system latency. And that can matter alot in fast moving scenarios, especially when aiming and tracking enemy's. With a higher input delay your mouse will feel sluggish, you will have a hard time when doing fast and precise movements. You can also feel it if you go back from 120 fps to let's say 60 fps. The frametimes will be much bigger, and thats what you will feel as well. That's why I'm trying to get the most of my system, as I allready have a bigger system latency because I have a older PC. You probably have an overall system latency of 20ms because you're on the latest tech... I probably have about 40ms...
06-27-2021, 03:32 AM
(06-27-2021 02:28 AM)FPSMaster Wrote:  Well, because you get some extra ms input delay when using GPU scaling, especially if you're on an older GPU like I am. I'm playing FPS games 90% of the time, and I can feel differences in 10ms input delay easily. You can test it by yourselfe, just set Vsync on and you will get about 10-30 Ms input delay on top of your whole system latency. And that can matter alot in fast moving scenarios, especially when aiming and tracking enemy's. With a higher input delay your mouse will feel sluggish, you will have a hard time when doing fast and precise movements. You can also feel it if you go back from 120 fps to let's say 60 fps. The frametimes will be much bigger, and thats what you will feel as well. That's why I'm trying to get the most of my system, as I allready have a bigger system latency because I have a older PC. You probably have an overall system latency of 20ms because you're on the latest tech... I probably have about 40ms...
GPU scaling does not add any significant lag. I don't know where people are getting this from. It's mostly coming from NVIDIA users. VSync does add significant lag, but that's separate from GPU scaling. The concept that an older GPU would have more lag from GPU scaling doesn't make sense because if it fell behind trying to scale, then it wouldn't be able to refresh the screen correctly. GPUs are also many times more powerful than anything in a display, even older GPUs, so why would GPU scaling add more lag than display scaling? In fact, I've seen cases where display scaling adds lag, but that's from frame buffering, not processing speed.

Regardless, display scaling is supposed to be available if the EDID defines a non-native resolution, so I don't know what to do if that's not working. That would be a bug or design issue with NVIDIA's driver. A few games might also use the desktop resolution and do the scaling themselves, but that's not common. Try changing the desktop resolution before running the game.
06-28-2021, 02:14 PM (Last edited: 06-28-2021, 05:06 PM by ashlar)
Trying to modify refresh rates on 2160p resolutions on an LG OLED C1.

By opening CRU I see no trace of 2160p23 and 2160p59 resolutions, only 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 (plus 100 and 120). But they are selectable from Windows and madVR and Kodi switch to them.

madVR sees the 23Hz resolution (see attached pictures).

So I am unsure about how to proceed, in order for the new 2160p23 (and 2160p59) resolutions to work without creating confusion for system/applications. I mean that I would like to have a single 2160p23, not multiple ones, otherwise refresh autoswitching could get messed up.

The extension block has all the info related to HDMI 2.1 (HDR, Dolby Vision, audio formats, etc.). But resolutions under "TV Resolutions" don't offer customizability.

All in all... I'm pretty lost. I managed to do everything I needed years ago, with a Pioneer plasma. With this new OLED I can't even understand where to begin. Undecided

Edit: to further clarify... for a start I would like to understand where to add a custom resolution for 23.976Hz refresh rate, considering that nowhere in CRU I find the one that Windows 10 uses with no problem. And how to avoid this newly created 23.976Hz custom resolution conflicting with the existing 2160p23. I use a RTX 3070, if that matters.