Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
05-17-2023, 02:11 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(05-13-2023 01:03 AM)messistamessista Wrote:  https://i.gyazo.com/5c37bbe3bf98b02f0dfb...5917e8.png

this is what i mean. can you look at it?
That's something your monitor is doing. GPU scaling should work around the problem by scaling to the native resolution. For GPU scaling to work, you need to make sure the same refresh rate exists at the native resolution.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2023, 02:12 AM
(05-13-2023 01:52 AM)XAGMNINETY Wrote:  Hi Toasty,

Been around here before, and you were very helpful. I ended up donating to this project at that time, as it's instrumental for the PCs that I have.

I've recently gotten HDMI 2.1 working on my LG OLED - previously, I only used it in HDMI 2.0 (with a 3080 Ti) as it was ran through an HDMI 2.0 Yamaha receiver. As a note, I used your application to remove all traces of the evil 4096x2160 - including one in the "HDMI Support" block that kept reappearing no matter what.

I wanted to make a quick note about this before my main question - in the "HDMI Support" block under the CTA-861 Extension block, the fourth entry by default on an HDMI 2.1 screen is a 4096x2160p @ 24 Hz. No matter how many times I removed it, this resolution would always re-appear after what seems to be an internal driver reset - perhaps the driver needs to see exactly 4 resolutions in this space at all times. What I did was "spoof" the 4th entry into a duplicate 3840x2160 30 Hz block, and that stuck. I was then able to load my proper DLDSR resolutions through the NV Control Panel. Not sure if that's a bug, but I figured I'd report it.

Anyway, I'm here to ask about refresh rate timings and how it relates to VSync stutter. Recently, I've been seeing games that are capped by the screen's refresh rate via VSYNC have a small but noticeable amount of motion and camera stutter - notably Left 4 Dead and Halo, two games notable for having very reliable frame time graphs. At first, I thought it was a driver issue, but I think it may come down to the timings I'm using for my custom resolutions. I've been using this tool (in a Chromium browser, Firefox is borked): https://www.vsynctester.com, and the frame time spikes it spit out, particularly on my laptop, have given me pause. I'd say every ~30 seconds or so in the best case scenario (OLED 120 Hz) and about every ~10 seconds or so in the worst case (Laptop 120 Hz), I get a big ol' frame time spike, large enough to span the entire graph of this test. These are results from either using the "Automatic" or "Native" options for PC, on 3 different machines.

Generally, I've used the "Automatic PC" or "Native PC" options, to try and find the right timings for the exact refresh. Early on, I tried to use the "Manual" timings to lock in the refresh exactly, but that seems to cause very frequent VSYNC stutter no matter what, so I quickly binned that idea and went with the Automatic or Native PC options. From what I can tell, "Native" is specifically tailored for 60 Hz intervals - that's why all 60 Hz options have identical values for both Native PC and Automatic PC. However, this is not the case for multiples of 60 Hz, as there is some variation. Is it wiser to use the "Native" option only for intervals of 60, or just 60 itself? I'm not really sure.

I've read the readme for the installation on the first page many times, as well as the "Timing Parameters Explained' page that details how the timings work, and I still am not really sure what the modus operandi is to find the most VSYNC stutter-free timings. I am well aware that each screen is (very) different and there's no silver bullet for any refresh rate, but I'd like to get as close as possible. It's not a huge deal on my OLED, as I have the BlurBusters GSYNC optimal settings enabled most of the time. But, as I mentioned, I do have a 240 Hz laptop that doesn't have a GSYNC screen that exhibits issues, and GSYNC is not a magic bullet for many games, particularly older ones, that weren't designed to run at arbitrary refresh rates. So this is something that will come up fairly often.

I am looking for high-level pointers, and nothing else, so that I can do these myself - I have 3 panels (1 OLED and 2 IPS) that all have different characteristics and there's no way I want to burden you or anyone else with any part of figuring this issue out. I'm also not looking for 100% perfection, either - especially considering a number of these refresh rates (90 and 75 Hz for example) are not direct divisors for the IPS Monitors I use them on (165 Hz and 240 Hz respectively). I'm essentially looking to minimize the stutter as much as I can.

Thanks for any advice you may have, and thanks again for developing this integral application. No rush on a reply, as it's by no means an emergency.

X
Timing parameters have nothing to do with stutter. Stutter happens entirely on the PC's end and has nothing to do with the monitor. Vsync is just a way to synchronize with the refresh rate, so the only way vsync can stutter is if some frames are missing the next refresh because they are taking too long to process.

One cause of vsync stutter is frame rate caps. Vsync already acts as a frame rate cap, so adding another frame rate cap can cause stuttering because it won't be synchronized with the refresh rate. I remember Doom 3 having this problem because it forced 60 FPS which caused nasty stuttering at 60 Hz with vsync on.

For games without frame rate caps, you'd probably get the smoothest result using a refresh rate that's below your average frame rate so the frame times are more consistent.

If something in the background is using up the CPU or causing disk access, that can cause frame time spikes.
05-17-2023, 02:12 AM
(05-15-2023 02:07 AM)Travis5151 Wrote:  Just a note but it's a samsung 800b issue. Removing thr reciever and going to the tv direct still only allows 60 fps with gpu scaling. Is this expected behavior ? Any way to use cru to get 120 4k with gpu scaling?
GPU scaling scales to the native resolution, so if the TV's native resolution is 8K, the only way GPU scaling can work at 4K @ 120 Hz is if 8K @ 120 Hz is also available. The TV is designed to handle 4K @ 120 Hz, so you're better off just using display scaling.
05-17-2023, 02:13 AM
(05-15-2023 02:42 PM)skola28 Wrote:  I am in the process of attempting to connect DP1.4 from my dock to the C2 (DP to HDMI), once the cable arrives (HURRY UP AMAZON!).

I am also going to attempt USB-C to HDMI from either the USB-C on the laptop or the one on the WD19 dock.

The trick will be whether or not my Intel Iris Xe really outputs full DP1.4 on the USB-C ports.

This is one of the posts that originally got me thinking I could get 4K120 over HDMI 2.0. I think I was convinced that with CRU, I could make ONLY 420 8-bit color and 4k120 show up and sidestep my Intel Graphics Command Center which refuses to let me set custom resolutions.
Yes, 4K @ 120 Hz is possible with YCbCr 4:2:0 but only if the GPU supports it. Also DisplayPort 1.4 has less bandwidth than HDMI 2.1, so using an adapter will only work if the GPU, dock, and adapter all support display stream compression (DSC).
05-22-2023, 08:00 AM
(03-26-2023 03:39 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-25-2023 02:29 PM)AntiGod Wrote:  Hello, thank you very much for this utility. I have been using for several years and for me it is essential software. (There should be a hall of fame for such things).

Anyway I am sure I'm just looking in the wrong place, but I'm still confused about what some of the HDMI 2.x Support settings do.

I am using an LG C1 OLED as a display with nvidia 3080 gpu. I attached my current settings. I have Max FRL at 48 Gbps and TMDS rate set to 660 and I know what these do. I have deep color up to 48-bit enabled and understand these. I know what DSC is but don't use it.

Most of the other ones I'm clueless: Fast Vactive and ALLM and FAPA start are enabled but I'm unsure if they should be. M delta, Cinema VRR, and Negative M VRR are all disabled. I'm curious in particular what these last three do and if they might be useful for me?
I don't have the HDMI 2.1 specification, and there isn't much info about this online, so I'm not sure what everything means.

Fast Vactive means the TV is capable of using a higher pixel frequency to complete the refresh scanout faster. I don't think this applies to VRR because VRR already does this inherently.

Auto Low-Latency Mode means the TV is capable of automatically switching to a low-latency mode when requested. I don't know if Windows drivers use this feature. This is probably something game consoles use.

FAPA start location has something to do with the frame accurate packet area.

Cinema VRR means the TV is capable of handling film refresh rates outside of the VRR range.

M delta and Negative M VRR have something to do with VRR calculations.
10 years now I've been talking to you ToastyX How are you!
Auto Low latency mode and fast Vactive - Are they only for TVS? Or any monitor that benefits from HDMI 2.1 such as the LGOLED 27 with a 4090?
05-25-2023, 10:29 PM
(05-22-2023 08:00 AM)LordGurciullo Wrote:  Auto Low latency mode and fast Vactive - Are they only for TVS? Or any monitor that benefits from HDMI 2.1 such as the LGOLED 27 with a 4090?
Any HDMI 2.1 display could implement those features. ALLM has no purpose if the monitor already doesn't have lag, and fast Vactive has no purpose with VRR because VRR already scans at the fastest rate.
05-25-2023, 10:29 PM
(05-17-2023 09:31 AM)Boemtie Wrote:  Hi did you ever get it to work? i have the pg25qnr, tried everything i know, ext blocks, 1.3 display etc nothing seems to work for me. i cant even set it on 240 hz. in using a 380 and other monitors went fine on cru but not this 360 hz one.
Monitors with the G-SYNC processor normally don't support custom resolutions, so you'll have to use GPU scaling. It'd be easier to create GPU-scaled resolutions using SRE: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...Editor-SRE
05-26-2023, 10:17 PM (Last edited: 05-26-2023, 10:35 PM by messistamessista)
(05-17-2023 02:11 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-13-2023 01:03 AM)messistamessista Wrote:  https://i.gyazo.com/5c37bbe3bf98b02f0dfb...5917e8.png

this is what i mean. can you look at it?
That's something your monitor is doing. GPU scaling should work around the problem by scaling to the native resolution. For GPU scaling to work, you need to make sure the same refresh rate exists at the native resolution.

my monitor is a samsung odyssey g4 (240hz @1920x1080) so i think that one is the native resolution, and it supports 240hz (i've been using it since i bought it)

but i want to force 1350x1080 @240hz and that behaviour appears.
i dont know what im doing wrong,

i tried gpu scaling ON with three diff options (keep aspect ratio, fulls creen and centered) all of them behave like the image i uploaded there ONLY when i go up from 190hz in the resolution i want to use (1350x1080)..

any hint? (thanks in advance and sorry for my complete ignorance about this subject)

////////////////////////////////EDIT////////////////////////////////////

I GUESS I MADE IT WORK, i had to add that resolution to a detailed resolution extension block AFTER creating it with the SRE.exe Hahaha
05-27-2023, 04:36 PM
Hi @ToastyX

I tried to follow these instructions with my LG OLED to enable dolby atmos/surround on my PC https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/66...-with-earc

Although after doing these things, my tv refuses to display anything from the PC

I tried to go into safe mode and running reset-all.exe

Would appreciate your help here. Thanks!
05-28-2023, 08:17 AM
Hello, I have a problem. I recently (about half an hour ago lol) installed Windows 11 and can't set the appropriate resolution. The thing is, I'm using an old CRT 1680x1050 60Hz monitor connected to a GTX 1650 via a VGA to HDMI adapter, so when I first install Windows, the system thinks my native resolution is 800x600, and after installing the drivers - 1024x768. On Windows 10 I just added my native resolution to the CRU and everything worked just fine, but Windows 11 just ignores any changes to the CRU as well as the SRE. The only thing that works (kinda) is the NVIDIA control panel, but the colors start to get distorted. For example, some color wheel looks fine, but the gray to white gradient looks like a bunch of big gray bars. And by the way, it shows me that i'm using "DVI-PC Display". What can I do to make everything work the same as in Windows 10? Once again: CRU doesn't work, and neither does SRE.