Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-25-2023, 01:46 PM (Last edited: 03-25-2023, 01:56 PM by alexaedita)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(03-24-2023 02:52 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-23-2023 06:31 PM)alexaedita Wrote:  As of 03/23/23 CRU still does not work with latest driver 23.3.2 for 7000 series cards due to the lack of support from AMD for custom EDID's.
Keep reporting it with every driver version.

Will do.

(03-25-2023 07:24 AM)Man Wrote:  
(03-23-2023 06:31 PM)alexaedita Wrote:  As of 03/23/23 CRU still does not work with latest driver 23.3.2 for 7000 series cards due to the lack of support from AMD for custom EDID's.

Another reason to avoid AMD, I guess.

I went from a GTX650Ti to an R9-380 and right off the bat I noticed that you can't force half-vsync from the drivers. To add insult to the injury, the force vsync option in the driver is broken, at least in my experience.

I was thinking about moving to Polaris (RX580 8GB) but then I learnt that RSR is exclusive to RDNA based GPUs, whereas even the 750Ti supports NIS (their answer to RSR/FSR1).

Needless to say, their GPU division has taken a back seat after Lisa Su. It's competitive, sure, but no match for Nvidia when it comes to driver stability and overall level of 'polish.'

Long story short, if you want proper frame pacing, go Nvidia. AMD shouldn't even be a consideration.

Sorry for the rant. I guess I wanted to vent!

I disagree, like anything - my opinion is as subjective as yours.
Nvidia's forums are just like AMD forums are full of people who dislike this or that about Nvidia, nothing unique about it.
As someone who owned AMD cards for years, I can attest to the fact that AMD has good products, and I will buy them again when I can. GPU and CPU spectrum. This is not to say that I would prefer one vs the other, since both company/products have a reason to exist.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2023, 02:29 PM
Hello, thank you very much for this utility. I have been using for several years and for me it is essential software. (There should be a hall of fame for such things).

Anyway I am sure I'm just looking in the wrong place, but I'm still confused about what some of the HDMI 2.x Support settings do.

I am using an LG C1 OLED as a display with nvidia 3080 gpu. I attached my current settings. I have Max FRL at 48 Gbps and TMDS rate set to 660 and I know what these do. I have deep color up to 48-bit enabled and understand these. I know what DSC is but don't use it.

Most of the other ones I'm clueless: Fast Vactive and ALLM and FAPA start are enabled but I'm unsure if they should be. M delta, Cinema VRR, and Negative M VRR are all disabled. I'm curious in particular what these last three do and if they might be useful for me?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-25-2023, 05:45 PM
(03-24-2023 02:51 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-20-2023 07:48 PM)PomiotSzatana69 Wrote:  Hello.
Is there any way to bypass standard resolution 123hz refresh rate cap? I want to set it to 240hz.
Or maybe someone will have another solution for my problem?

Situation looks like that - one certain game forces itself to work in "standard resolutions" listed in CRU. When I shut it down and quit to Windows desktop I have 240hz from detailed resolution again (information important for later)

But...
When I delete all "standard resolutions" that game finally works in detailed resolution and I get stable 240hz refresh rate - sadly, when I shutdown that game and quit to Windows desktop my refresh rate is somehow stuck to 88hz and I don't know from where it got that value - I didn't seen it anywhere in CRU.
Somehow launching and quitting some different games or executing "restart64.exe" reverts desktop refresh rate back to 240hz - until I launch and shutdown that problematic, mentioned before game again - it is messing up desktop refresh rate again.

I'm out of ideas how to get 240hz in that game without any issues.

Thanks.
There's no way for the data to represent refresh rates outside of 60-123 Hz for standard resolutions. You have to use detailed resolutions for other refresh rates. There's nothing special about the way standard resolutions work. There's no way for a game to only support standard resolutions. You didn't give any details about what's actually happening, only what you think is happening. You didn't mention what game, what monitor, what GPU, what resolutions, what CRU shows. Export a file using CRU and post it here.

Sorry for lack of detailed info.
Monitor: AOC 24G2ZE/BK 1080p 240hz (in CRU it is listed as AOCB203 24G2W1G8, latest drivers from AOC website)
GPU: AMD Radeon 6700XT (driver version 23.3.1)
Game: Two Worlds 2 1.3.7 DirectX10 version
Resolution: 1920x1080 16:9

And You are right - after testing it again game was forced into "TV resolution" by default - not "standard resolution". Probably I've messed up something before.

Anyway I've fixed the problem without actually using CRU - pressing "Alt+Enter" after booting the game switches it to correct resolution/refresh rate - it is running at 240hz after pressing those keys.

Alt+tab/ctrl+alt+delete/windows key and then going back to game didn't worked - only alt+enter.

Thank You very much for encouraging me to look into problem again instead just waiting for answer. Cheers.
03-26-2023, 12:17 PM (Last edited: 03-26-2023, 12:19 PM by ArtMov)
(03-24-2023 02:52 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-21-2023 06:58 PM)ArtMov Wrote:  Hi guys, this is the first time I've encountered this, the hz settings do not change, I can't overclock the monitor, is there really some kind of protection against this? Laptop asus rog scar g17 g732
You would have to ask Intel why their driver limits custom resolutions on laptop screens.

On another laptop with the same intel gpu driver, display overclocking works, permissions are added ( Pls tell me what else can be done? Is there another way? I have 10 gen graphics.
03-26-2023, 03:39 PM
(03-24-2023 10:52 PM)Jenno7 Wrote:  I did 78hz before, it's been about 1 year but i cant again 1024x768 75hz and 78hz
How did you do it before? With CRU or some other way? 1024x768 is not the native resolution. You can't add non-native resolutions on laptops with CRU because they don't have scalers. The old GPU method doesn't work for laptop screens, only external monitors.
(03-24-2023 11:04 PM)PLU Wrote:  Hi, I've been trying for a while to make my VRAM idle at 165 Hz but I haven't been able to yet.
I have an RX 5700XT connected via DP 1.4 HBR3 to an MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD (1440p/165Hz) and at 60/120Hz the VRAM clocks can properly idle at 200 MHz but when set to 165 Hz it goes all the way up to max clock speed (1740ish MHz). Under "detailed resolutions" I only have one for 60 Hz so I edited the 165 Hz one under "extension blocks". My vertical blanking is set to 22 and I can only raise it until 65 before the frequency values go red. Also all the timing options give me a red "refresh rate".
Am I doing something wrong?
The first post tells you why it turns red and what to do.
(03-25-2023 02:01 AM)sofakng Wrote:  Thanks so much for the fantastic utility!

Quick question... I'm using an LG 34GN850 which is 3440x1440 (native) and supports 60, 100, 144, and 160 Hz refresh rates. It does not support 120 Hz.

However, when I use CRU to add custom resolutions that are higher (3456x2160 with 60 and 120 Hz), the Nvidia control panel automatically adds 120 Hz for 3440x1440.

Is this a bug? It seems like Nvidia assumes if my monitor supports a higher resolution at the same refresh rate then it must be supported at a lower resolution.

If I test 3440x1440 @ 120 Hz, the monitor freaks out so it really doesn't appear to be supported which seems very strange but regardless...
This is normal behavior for refresh rates in Windows. Refresh rates are automatically propagated down to lower resolutions by the graphics driver as scaled resolutions. I don't see why the monitor would freak out because it's supposed to be scaled to the higher resolution.
(03-25-2023 01:46 PM)ozgu Wrote:  @ToastyX First of all I'd like to thank you for this super beneficial tool, it is much appreciated!

Secondly, because I couldn't find an answer for my specific question I wanted to ask it here.

Since the monitor I use has variable refresh rate feature I have tried to use it but couldn't succeed.
Whenever I activate the Gsync from the Nvidia control panel and start a game or 3d application screen starts to blink and turns black.

According to the data sheet of the monitor following are the frequency ranges:
*DP (v. 1.4): fh:15~120 kHz, fv:24~75 Hz
*HDMI (v. 1.4): fh:15~120 kHz, fv:24~75 Hz

Then by using the CRU I changed the default vertical frequency range from 24-75 to 48-75 and the problem is fixed.
But my question is the reason why the monitor can't handle the 24-75 range for variable refresh rate is because the monitor has some sort of a fault or because the connection cable I use, or the variable refresh rate range is not as broad as it is specified in the data sheet?

The Gpu I use is Nvidia Gtx1080, and the monitor is connected with a Displayport cable which's version I assume is 1.2.
Also, it should be noted that the default Freesync range in the Data blocks section is 48-75.

I would be appreciated if you could help me about it.
Thanks in advance!
The frequency range in the specs is not necessarily the frequency range supported with FreeSync. You didn't mention what monitor you have. What is the advertised FreeSync range? If there's already a FreeSync data block by default with the range 48-75 Hz, then that might be the correct range. DisplayPort doesn't normally use the FreeSync data block, so maybe NVIDIA's driver is using the range limits instead. If the range limits is used for FreeSync, the horizontal range should be two equal values like 120-120 kHz.
(03-25-2023 02:29 PM)AntiGod Wrote:  Hello, thank you very much for this utility. I have been using for several years and for me it is essential software. (There should be a hall of fame for such things).

Anyway I am sure I'm just looking in the wrong place, but I'm still confused about what some of the HDMI 2.x Support settings do.

I am using an LG C1 OLED as a display with nvidia 3080 gpu. I attached my current settings. I have Max FRL at 48 Gbps and TMDS rate set to 660 and I know what these do. I have deep color up to 48-bit enabled and understand these. I know what DSC is but don't use it.

Most of the other ones I'm clueless: Fast Vactive and ALLM and FAPA start are enabled but I'm unsure if they should be. M delta, Cinema VRR, and Negative M VRR are all disabled. I'm curious in particular what these last three do and if they might be useful for me?
I don't have the HDMI 2.1 specification, and there isn't much info about this online, so I'm not sure what everything means.

Fast Vactive means the TV is capable of using a higher pixel frequency to complete the refresh scanout faster. I don't think this applies to VRR because VRR already does this inherently.

Auto Low-Latency Mode means the TV is capable of automatically switching to a low-latency mode when requested. I don't know if Windows drivers use this feature. This is probably something game consoles use.

FAPA start location has something to do with the frame accurate packet area.

Cinema VRR means the TV is capable of handling film refresh rates outside of the VRR range.

M delta and Negative M VRR have something to do with VRR calculations.
(03-26-2023 12:17 PM)ArtMov Wrote:  On another laptop with the same intel gpu driver, display overclocking works, permissions are added ( Pls tell me what else can be done? Is there another way? I have 10 gen graphics.
I don't control what Intel's driver does. You'll have to ask them. Their driver ignores EDID overrides on some laptop screens for some reason.