Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-13-2020, 08:02 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(07-13-2020 11:45 AM)Crystalyne Wrote:  Just been playing around with my monitor (BenQ EW3270U) recently and I'm trying to get it to run in 2K (2560x1440) @ 75Hz while retaining true 10-bit color support, seems to be more tricky than I thought!

When I'm running 1440P @ 60Hz, the Windows display info shows I'm running at true 10 bit, but when changing to 75Hz it shows 8-Bit with dithering. Figure this is probably an EDID issue, but i've got no idea what part of the EDID this would be!
It shouldn't be an EDID issue as color depth is not specified per resolution. This is usually a bandwidth limitation, but DisplayPort 1.2 should have enough bandwidth with HBR2. If it's only running at HBR, then you won't be able to get 10-bit beyond 288 MHz pixel clock.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2020, 10:58 PM
(07-13-2020 08:02 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-13-2020 11:45 AM)Crystalyne Wrote:  Just been playing around with my monitor (BenQ EW3270U) recently and I'm trying to get it to run in 2K (2560x1440) @ 75Hz while retaining true 10-bit color support, seems to be more tricky than I thought!

When I'm running 1440P @ 60Hz, the Windows display info shows I'm running at true 10 bit, but when changing to 75Hz it shows 8-Bit with dithering. Figure this is probably an EDID issue, but i've got no idea what part of the EDID this would be!
It shouldn't be an EDID issue as color depth is not specified per resolution. This is usually a bandwidth limitation, but DisplayPort 1.2 should have enough bandwidth with HBR2. If it's only running at HBR, then you won't be able to get 10-bit beyond 288 MHz pixel clock.

Ah, makes sense!
In that case, is there any way to force the Displayport link speed? The monitor supports Displayport 1.4 HBR3 (GPU only supports DP1.2 HBR2), but according to Radeon software it's only using HBR when in 2k 75Hz, which would be why it can't send 10-bit. If I set the monitor to 4k 50Hz HDR (the highest refresh you can get on HBR2) I can see the link speed has changed to HBR2!
07-14-2020, 01:06 AM (Last edited: 07-14-2020, 01:07 AM by Henobi_Sue)
Hello all,

I have been using CRU to try OCing my old laptop's 60hz display in Windows 10 at 1080p. Going past 75 gave me a black screen so I tightened the timings and was able to hit max of 85hz.

However I wanted to see if I could push more, I then tried to lower my res to 800x600 and OC to 120 and it somewhat worked. The screen kinda split itself into 8 identical windows, but I could use the pc at 120hz. There also appeared to be fringing around the right side of the display.

Not exactly sure why this happened, just wanted to share this maybe someone knows why this occurred.

Here is the display where I was playing around in Half life 2.
https://ibb.co/9qYMSGR
07-14-2020, 01:30 PM
(07-14-2020 01:06 AM)Henobi_Sue Wrote:  However I wanted to see if I could push more, I then tried to lower my res to 800x600 and OC to 120 and it somewhat worked. The screen kinda split itself into 8 identical windows, but I could use the pc at 120hz. There also appeared to be fringing around the right side of the display.

Not exactly sure why this happened, just wanted to share this maybe someone knows why this occurred.
Laptop screens usually don't support non-native resolutions without GPU scaling. Resolutions listed in CRU are sent to the display.
07-14-2020, 01:30 PM
(07-13-2020 10:58 PM)Crystalyne Wrote:  Ah, makes sense!
In that case, is there any way to force the Displayport link speed? The monitor supports Displayport 1.4 HBR3 (GPU only supports DP1.2 HBR2), but according to Radeon software it's only using HBR when in 2k 75Hz, which would be why it can't send 10-bit. If I set the monitor to 4k 50Hz HDR (the highest refresh you can get on HBR2) I can see the link speed has changed to HBR2!
I don't know any way to change the speed.
07-15-2020, 02:00 PM
my laptop is msi gf65 9sd

gtx1660ti
16 gb ram
120hz panel with 15.6 inches
and ssd 512
its impossibile to set a custom or any other hertz to this laptop or to other 14 other laptops which has intel gpu and nivida gpu. this app is broken or dead? or its just a luck i cant make any hertz? the alt methood does not work, it wont make any result, the normal way ( using the exe cru app ) then restart wont add values to the hz poll in the settings.

i can not change the refresh rate what so ever i do.

i tried this steps but not work:

on windows 8.1 installed the latest driver and tried to change from control panel of intel but it show that it exceeds maximum bandwith i tried on all resoultion i tried to underclock the refresh rate to 58 or 59 not worked i tried everything it can not add any new values.
i tried CRU added new values and clicked on restart 64 and restarted my laptop but the values are not in the control panel or not in the contorl panel of windows nor in the list all modes option.
i tried to overclock the other montiors on the CRU (the not active monitors) same thing. i tried on older versions of the driver same thing. i tried new apps same thing.

and for windows 10 i tried all the steps above but the same thing.

and my gt730M has no refresh rate or custom resoltions option it has only 2 options.
07-16-2020, 07:07 AM
Anybody has any idea if it is possible to remove the resolutions in the following snippet from Nvidia's driver using CRU?

I am trying to get 4K DSR working on my new 2K 144 monitor but all my games see are these phantom resolutions and refresh rates. I don't understand why there even is a 4k resolution in Nvidia's list of resolutions when my monitor does not support such resolution by default. For the record, the monitor model is Lenovo Legion Y27q-20. I have already tried removing all the TV resolutions in the CEA-861 extension block shown with CRU but it made no difference.
07-16-2020, 01:04 PM
(07-16-2020 07:07 AM)maftul Wrote:  I am trying to get 4K DSR working on my new 2K 144 monitor but all my games see are these phantom resolutions and refresh rates. I don't understand why there even is a 4k resolution in Nvidia's list of resolutions when my monitor does not support such resolution by default. For the record, the monitor model is Lenovo Legion Y27q-20. I have already tried removing all the TV resolutions in the CEA-861 extension block shown with CRU but it made no difference.
4K should not exist if you remove it from CRU. Export what you have into a file and post it here.
07-16-2020, 08:06 PM
Hey guys. Wondering if it's possible to use CRU to specify an output bit depth setting as well as a custom resolution? Having issues with my Nvidia card on an older driver (which I need for 3D support), where the bit depth setting resets every time I reboot.
07-17-2020, 12:38 AM
(07-16-2020 08:06 PM)filmgeek47 Wrote:  Hey guys. Wondering if it's possible to use CRU to specify an output bit depth setting as well as a custom resolution? Having issues with my Nvidia card on an older driver (which I need for 3D support), where the bit depth setting resets every time I reboot.
You can't specify a bit depth for individual resolutions.