Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-16-2020, 09:02 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hello, I have Lenovo T480 laptop and a 3840x2160 LG monitor. The laptop officially supports 4k@60hz over the USB-C port. However, I've bought an adapter rated for 4K@60 but no official tools allow me to go over 30hz.

I'm trying to use CRU to enable 3840x2160 60hz but the custom resolutions I set up never show up on Windows settings, even after rebooting. My laptop has an Intel HD 620 graphics adapter. The drivers available on the first page do not cover Coffee Lake-era chips like mine. What can I do to indeed enable the custom resolution?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2020, 12:34 AM
(09-16-2020 09:02 PM)henmartins Wrote:  Hello, I have Lenovo T480 laptop and a 3840x2160 LG monitor. The laptop officially supports 4k@60hz over the USB-C port. However, I've bought an adapter rated for 4K@60 but no official tools allow me to go over 30hz.

I'm trying to use CRU to enable 3840x2160 60hz but the custom resolutions I set up never show up on Windows settings, even after rebooting. My laptop has an Intel HD 620 graphics adapter. The drivers available on the first page do not cover Coffee Lake-era chips like mine. What can I do to indeed enable the custom resolution?
Newer CPUs should work with the latest drivers. There's no point in adding a resolution that the monitor already defines. You're not getting 60 Hz because the driver is not allowing it, usually because of bandwidth limitations. Either the laptop doesn't support 4K @ 60 Hz with that adapter, or the driver thinks it doesn't. CRU can't get around that.
09-17-2020, 02:21 AM
i have a i5 3230 whit intel hd 4000 i can overclock the monitor Sad
09-18-2020, 11:30 AM
513 pages and still going strong. Congrats ToastyX!!!!
That many pages also means a lot of people aren't going to go through them all to see if their question has been asked and answered already. I have a unique one, I'm sure.
CRU pulls up SO much info in the EDID. I was wondering if it can pull up information on G-Sync since it pulls up information on Freesync. And if so, can a G-Sync BIN be written onto a Freesync display?
I'm willing to try it out and mess around with it, but I don't have a G-Sync BIN, and not sure if that info is in the EDID and where.
09-18-2020, 06:53 PM
(09-18-2020 11:30 AM)mac_angel Wrote:  513 pages and still going strong. Congrats ToastyX!!!!
That many pages also means a lot of people aren't going to go through them all to see if their question has been asked and answered already. I have a unique one, I'm sure.
CRU pulls up SO much info in the EDID. I was wondering if it can pull up information on G-Sync since it pulls up information on Freesync. And if so, can a G-Sync BIN be written onto a Freesync display?
I'm willing to try it out and mess around with it, but I don't have a G-Sync BIN, and not sure if that info is in the EDID and where.
G-Sync doesn't use any information in the EDID. G-Sync requires hardware support. You can't just change the EDID to make it work.
09-18-2020, 07:47 PM
(09-18-2020 06:53 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-18-2020 11:30 AM)mac_angel Wrote:  513 pages and still going strong. Congrats ToastyX!!!!
G-Sync doesn't use any information in the EDID. G-Sync requires hardware support. You can't just change the EDID to make it work.

damn. I kinda figured, but I was hoping I might get lucky. I still think it has to be something firmware related because at the beginning NVidia was saying they were going to start being able to use Freesync displays. From what I understand, some of these displays are only Freesync, have no specific G-Sync hardware in them.
09-20-2020, 07:43 AM
I dont know if someone already answered this, but theres already 500+ pages so.

I recently just followed itsjerian's tutorial on how to get stretched res in Season 3 chapter 4. I downloaded the whole (CRU) Custom Resolution Utility application and did everything step by step. Right now I added a detailed resolution which was 1722x1070,240 Hz. But every time I opened up fortnite my monitor displays 1920x1080,100HZ. Even though my game is still monitor is still stretched to 1722x1070, but now its on 100hz. I'm confused on why its displaying at 100hz. I don't know if this is meant to happen, but the game is still playable. Just wanted to know if there's a way I can fix my the 100hz into the 240hz keeping the same stretched res without increasing input delay.
09-20-2020, 11:36 AM
(09-15-2020 12:01 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  The flicker is not a problem and will go away. Some panels display residual flicker after displaying unusual patterns.

Thanks toasty. My Mbp screen has now returned to normal.
09-21-2020, 04:46 PM (Last edited: 09-21-2020, 09:38 PM by Joc)
I have a MG279Q with a RX550 and edited the freesync Range by CRU to 53 to 144.
It works, but now when the Monitor goes in Standby aka enegy saving mode it wakes up and is very dark.
Sometimes a message linkup failure shows up in the driver.

I have to restart the driver to light it up again.
Ist there a setting in CRU which could help here?
09-21-2020, 09:21 PM (Last edited: 09-21-2020, 09:23 PM by Bombadil)
Hi people, total noob here with some problems. Hope to be able to get some help.

Sooo... I've been able to make custom resolutions for my projector with a 12 bpc "output color depth" setting using CRU's Extension Block's editing procedure described here: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/nvidia-...s.3127652/

It totally worked and I am very pleasantly surprised, because this never worked before using Nvidia's Custom Resolutions feature.

The problem I face now is being able to make new Custom Resolutions for Oversampling.

Nvidia Custom Resolutions let you set a "Display Mode (as reported by Windows)" Horizontal and Vertical pixels, and then different values for "Active pixels" in the "Timing" section below:

[Image: wztnMEI.png]

And this is the method I've been using for many years to use oversampling in games, because DSR always gave me a lot of problems.

Is there any way that I can do this in CRU, so I can create new Oversampling custom resolutions with 12 bpc?