Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
12-08-2020, 09:56 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(12-08-2020 03:18 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-07-2020 04:03 PM)Likun Wrote:  How can I check if it's working correctly?
In the "detailed resolution" box it remains at @120 Hz.
Easy way to test is delete 144 Hz and see if it disappears, or add 143 Hz and see if it's available.

Thank you very much. I tried that and can confirm that it's working.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2020, 01:39 PM
@ToastyX,

So is there any way i can force 12 bpc at 4k/100hz/ycbcr444?
12-08-2020, 01:47 PM
(12-08-2020 03:16 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-08-2020 02:12 AM)plaganum Wrote:  I'm about to just plug in an external HDMI switch and call it a day, but I really want to get this working. It's killing me that it's so close. Is there any info I can provide to help get this to behave?
I said you need an HDMI support data block in the first extension block. I don't see that in your screen shots. Why not just use HDMI-DVI with the Nintendo Switch instead, since it only needs 1080p? Then you won't have to deal with workarounds.
I can't use the DVI on the Switch because the monitor annoyingly doesn't support DVI audio. I do agree that would be the best solution.

I initially didn't understand what you meant by an HDMI support data block, but poking around, I see the options now. I'll see if I can get it working. Thanks so much!!!
12-08-2020, 04:53 PM
Hi All,

I'm an old user of CRU since my surface book 1 & 2. It used to work and let me redure the main screen resolution from 3k*2k to 1920*1280 with a 150% scaling instead of 200% or more.

Nevertheless I have now a surface book 3 and this method doesnt work. I try to add a resolution like 1920*1280 and after a restart screen is black.... Only way to resolve it is by a reset with external screen.

Can you give me some advice about reducing the def on main screen to redure scaling.... Cause with external HDMI screen it makes the programs goes wrong with some blurry window.

Many thaks for your help
12-08-2020, 05:54 PM (Last edited: 12-08-2020, 05:55 PM by plaganum)
(12-08-2020 03:16 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-08-2020 02:12 AM)plaganum Wrote:  I'm about to just plug in an external HDMI switch and call it a day, but I really want to get this working. It's killing me that it's so close. Is there any info I can provide to help get this to behave?
I said you need an HDMI support data block in the first extension block. I don't see that in your screen shots. Why not just use HDMI-DVI with the Nintendo Switch instead, since it only needs 1080p? Then you won't have to deal with workarounds.

Ok, so here's what I'm seeing:
[Image: ivAsF3P.png]

The only available resolutions in the dropdown are both 2160 vertically. I tried adding the extension block without a resolution, but it exhibits the same behavior when I restart (downsampled/upscaled). I tried googling "HDMI codes" to see if there was a code for 2160x1440@60Hz, but I'm not finding much. Do I have the Extension Block type and other settings correct? (I tried adding a detailed resolution in the extension block, but no change.)

Thanks!
12-08-2020, 05:58 PM
Hi. Just used this nifty little utility to get my Asus monitor to LCD standard in order to fix the always-max VRAM Clock Speed on some AMD GPUs (followed a Reddit post). What I wanted to ask: It changed my Back porch, Blanking and Frequency by a few points as can be seen below. I'm sure this won't break my monitor, but I wanted to know what does this do exactly, what does it change in newbie-friendly terms? Does it change the response times of the monitor, does it make any changes to the color, blurriness or any such? Does it make it slower?

[Image: b68Zk2a.png]

Thank you in advance.
12-09-2020, 02:48 AM
(12-08-2020 05:58 PM)Canes Wrote:  Hi. Just used this nifty little utility to get my Asus monitor to LCD standard in order to fix the always-max VRAM Clock Speed on some AMD GPUs (followed a Reddit post). What I wanted to ask: It changed my Back porch, Blanking and Frequency by a few points as can be seen below. I'm sure this won't break my monitor, but I wanted to know what does this do exactly, what does it change in newbie-friendly terms? Does it change the response times of the monitor, does it make any changes to the color, blurriness or any such? Does it make it slower?
The blanking controls how long to wait between each line/frame:
https://www.monitortests.com/blog/timing...explained/

The timing parameters don't affect the image quality. The only thing that changes is how long it takes for the refresh to complete. A larger vertical blanking reduces the time it takes to refresh the screen, but increases the time between refreshes. In your example, the difference is around 0.2 ms.

The reason the GPU doesn't change the memory clock if the vertical blanking is too low is because it doesn't have enough time to retrain the memory without visible screen flicker/corruption.
12-09-2020, 02:50 AM
(12-08-2020 05:54 PM)plaganum Wrote:  The only available resolutions in the dropdown are both 2160 vertically. I tried adding the extension block without a resolution, but it exhibits the same behavior when I restart (downsampled/upscaled). I tried googling "HDMI codes" to see if there was a code for 2160x1440@60Hz, but I'm not finding much. Do I have the Extension Block type and other settings correct? (I tried adding a detailed resolution in the extension block, but no change.)
If you used the alternative method, then that's still in effect. Run reset-all.exe and reboot first. Then delete the default extension block (if it has one) and add a CEA-861 extension block and an HDMI support data block like you did. You don't need anything else. Then make sure 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz is the first detailed resolution (not in the extension block).
12-09-2020, 02:55 AM
(12-08-2020 04:53 PM)mederic.caldas Wrote:  I'm an old user of CRU since my surface book 1 & 2. It used to work and let me redure the main screen resolution from 3k*2k to 1920*1280 with a 150% scaling instead of 200% or more.

Nevertheless I have now a surface book 3 and this method doesnt work. I try to add a resolution like 1920*1280 and after a restart screen is black.... Only way to resolve it is by a reset with external screen.

Can you give me some advice about reducing the def on main screen to redure scaling.... Cause with external HDMI screen it makes the programs goes wrong with some blurry window.
Is that happening with any change?

Run reset-all.exe and reboot. Then install this program: https://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Then run MonInfo and choose the "Real-time" display. Then save a .bin file and post it here.
12-09-2020, 02:57 AM
(12-08-2020 01:39 PM)traderdude123 Wrote:  So is there any way i can force 12 bpc at 4k/100hz/ycbcr444?
CRU can't force anything. Does changing the maximum TMDS character rate to 1200 Mcsc make any difference? The highest value it will accept is 1275 Mcsc, so I'm not sure that's used with HDMI 2.1.

The only other thing I can think of is try creating a detailed resolution in a DisplayID extension block and tweak the timing parameters to reduce the bandwidth.

CRU doesn't currently have a preset for the CTA-861 timing parameters for 3840x2160 @ 100 Hz, so you'll have to enter it manually:

Code:
Active:       3840  2160
Front porch:  1056     8
Sync width:     88    10
Back porch:    296    72

Refresh rate:  100 Hz
Pixel clock:  1188 MHz

Then try reducing values and see if the TV will display it.