Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-13-2021, 04:21 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hi, I've been running CRU settings through HDMI with a 60hz Samsung (dropping down to 47.95hz for movies) for the last few years, in 5 different modes (PAL, NTSC, BR etc).. so that my video player adjusts it's refresh rate to sync with video playback. It's been really good, I've even been able to watch YT videos like this.

Now I have a new monitor and coming back to trying to remember how I set this up in the first place. It's an LG with 165hz but I'll probably be wanting to use it with 100-120hz depending on the source video.

It's like I am starting from scratch all over again. I won't be testing anything for a few weeks but I just wanted to ask in advance.. is there any advantages in terms of CRU 's detailed resolutions.. in terms of HDMI vs Display Port? I've never had any problems with HDMI so far, so it makes me want to stay with that because I know it works.. but DP is newer and presumably better? Is there any advantages or disadvantages for Display Port vs HDMI with CUR? I'm not concerned with gaming or freesync at the moment just the video playback for 23.976, 29.970, 50 and 59.940 fps videos.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2021, 01:12 PM
(07-13-2021 04:21 PM)Jonotallica Wrote:  It's like I am starting from scratch all over again. I won't be testing anything for a few weeks but I just wanted to ask in advance.. is there any advantages in terms of CRU 's detailed resolutions.. in terms of HDMI vs Display Port? I've never had any problems with HDMI so far, so it makes me want to stay with that because I know it works.. but DP is newer and presumably better? Is there any advantages or disadvantages for Display Port vs HDMI with CUR? I'm not concerned with gaming or freesync at the moment just the video playback for 23.976, 29.970, 50 and 59.940 fps videos.
With HDMI, if you're using YCbCr or limited range RGB, you end up with less color precision because the range is 16-235 instead of 0-255. If you use full range RGB or DisplayPort, that's not a problem. Also some high refresh rate monitors don't support higher refresh rates with HDMI.
07-14-2021, 01:13 PM
(07-13-2021 01:45 PM)Dannypa Wrote:  For one month, everything worked perfectly/flawlessly.
Then the panel is faulty and the refresh rate probably didn't cause the problem unless there's a design flaw in the controller board.
07-14-2021, 01:15 PM
(07-12-2021 11:10 PM)LancerGV Wrote:  It's an older 1080p Sanyo TV. Very uncooperative with CRU. It seems that making any change at all and leaving it eventually causes some sort of failure, usually starting with disabling the sound over HDMI. It's not a random shutdown, I can play for hours without issue, but if I power off and on or enter and exit sleep it causes more and more problems until I need to use Reset All. Importing doesn't fix it.

I can play Luminous Avenger iX properly by deleting the default extension block and touching nothing else, as that wipes out most framerate modes in windows, including the offending 24fps one. Everything works fine, until the issues crop up.

EDIT: I'm not potentially on an "older" Intel iGPU, am I? I'm using an Intel Core i5 1035G7, and running the normal release of CRU. I don't need to do any weird extra stuff, right?
No, it's not an older Intel GPU. This sounds like a driver bug. I don't see anything unusual about the EDID, but I can't read the extension block with Intel GPUs. To fix the audio, try importing the hdmi-audio.dat file. Maybe that will work around the issue.
07-14-2021, 01:16 PM
(07-14-2021 01:12 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-13-2021 04:21 PM)Jonotallica Wrote:  It's like I am starting from scratch all over again. I won't be testing anything for a few weeks but I just wanted to ask in advance.. is there any advantages in terms of CRU 's detailed resolutions.. in terms of HDMI vs Display Port? I've never had any problems with HDMI so far, so it makes me want to stay with that because I know it works.. but DP is newer and presumably better? Is there any advantages or disadvantages for Display Port vs HDMI with CUR? I'm not concerned with gaming or freesync at the moment just the video playback for 23.976, 29.970, 50 and 59.940 fps videos.
With HDMI, if you're using YCbCr or limited range RGB, you end up with less color precision because the range is 16-235 instead of 0-255. If you use full range RGB or DisplayPort, that's not a problem. Also some high refresh rate monitors don't support higher refresh rates with HDMI.
Thanks. I'll return to this at some point in the near future, but it seems like it would probably be best to try both and see how they react with this specific monitor and see what happens (potential problems) when they occur.
07-15-2021, 03:22 AM
I run 3 monitors PLP on a gtx 2070. I'm trying to add a custom resolution of 5440x1440 so Elite Dangerous can pick it up as a windowed resolution. On my primary monitor profile, I have deleted the default extension block, and added a DisplayID 1.3 resolution, but windows is not picking it up.

At this point I dont think I am concerned at all about applying the resolution to my monitor, I just want it as an option to select in game.

Has anyone been able to add any resolution wider than 4095, and if so, how?
07-15-2021, 02:39 PM
(07-15-2021 03:22 AM)urch Wrote:  I run 3 monitors PLP on a gtx 2070. I'm trying to add a custom resolution of 5440x1440 so Elite Dangerous can pick it up as a windowed resolution. On my primary monitor profile, I have deleted the default extension block, and added a DisplayID 1.3 resolution, but windows is not picking it up.

At this point I dont think I am concerned at all about applying the resolution to my monitor, I just want it as an option to select in game.

The resolution must be within the pixel clock limit of the connection even if you're not going to use it. Try a lower refresh rate like 24 Hz. That might be enough to get the game to list the resolution.
07-15-2021, 07:58 PM
Holy crap, that worked!!!
Thank you so much!!!

(07-15-2021 02:39 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  The resolution must be within the pixel clock limit of the connection even if you're not going to use it. Try a lower refresh rate like 24 Hz. That might be enough to get the game to list the resolution.
(07-15-2021 03:22 AM)urch Wrote:  I run 3 monitors PLP on a gtx 2070. I'm trying to add a custom resolution of 5440x1440 so Elite Dangerous can pick it up as a windowed resolution. On my primary monitor profile, I have deleted the default extension block, and added a DisplayID 1.3 resolution, but windows is not picking it up.

07-16-2021, 12:46 PM
Ahi, I don’t know if anyone has the same problem as me, but actually a didn’t read the 600 pages :(

So yesterday I downloaded CRU and tried stretched res (1750x1080) with itsjerian’s tutorial (the procedure is simple I’m sure I didn’t changed any expert options) and the active signal resolution changed so I think it “worked” but when I watch videos on youtube or netflix o play any game i get like flickering lines so I have to reset to 1920x1080 native res

my monitor is the benq 240hz xl2546k and gcard 1660 s so I’m using displayport

already tried reinstalling drivers and another res, same problem

my twitter is @chinoo17k if anyone wants to help me :))))
07-17-2021, 04:00 PM
(07-16-2021 12:46 PM)darksoldier Wrote:  So yesterday I downloaded CRU and tried stretched res (1750x1080) with itsjerian’s tutorial (the procedure is simple I’m sure I didn’t changed any expert options) and the active signal resolution changed so I think it “worked” but when I watch videos on youtube or netflix o play any game i get like flickering lines so I have to reset to 1920x1080 native res

my monitor is the benq 240hz xl2546k and gcard 1660 s so I’m using displayport
Try setting the horizontal/vertical totals to match 1920x1080 with the same refresh rate. If that doesn't help, enable GPU scaling.