Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-01-2021, 08:26 AM (Last edited: 08-01-2021, 10:36 AM by JayBee)
Crash issues with CRU?
Hey guys,

I recently bought a LG 55nano91 4K TV and a RTX 3060, and I am trying to remove the 4096x2160 resolutions that prevent the GPU scaling from working correctly at 120Hz (defaults to 4096 instead of the native 3840 horizontal res).

Issue is that if I edit anything with CRU on that monitor, when I restart the display drivers or restart the PC, my screens (I got 2 screens connected) blink a bit and then windows crashes, mouse cursor frozen and nothing reacts.
Unplugging the TV, rebooting the PC, then deleting the modified driver in CRU solves the issue, but then if I edit again it comes back.

I bet it has something to do with the extension blocks reading/writing?
It's mentioned in the first post that there is an issue with Nvidia and reading the extra extension blocks, but I really don't understand how to fix that issue Undecided

Edit:
Also worth noting that the issue happens only if I modify the TV blocks, it works fine editing the other screen.
And my TV is HDMI 2.1, which is where the issue is coming from I think.

Edit2: tried deleting and redoing the extension block several times, but always end up with the same issue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2021, 10:29 PM (Last edited: 08-01-2021, 10:31 PM by wrathloki)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
I’m trying to remove the 4096x2160 resolutions from the EDID of my LG CX (to get rid of black bars in certain games) and I’m running into a problem. After deleting these resolutions, closing CRU, and restarting the computer or running the restart tool I get no signal on all monitors connected. I have to forcibly shut down the computer, disconnect the HDMI, boot back up, and run the reset tool before reconnecting the HDMI to get the TV displaying again. How can I get this to work? My video card is a 3070ti and current drivers are 471.41.

Edit: Looks like I’m having the same exact problem as JayBee, also with an LG set.
08-02-2021, 01:56 AM
(07-28-2021 09:58 PM)Ninelpienel Wrote:  Is it possible to set the output audio to 4.1? My system is only 4.1 and with 5.1 I only get left and right sound.
That's more up to the Windows speaker setup and the sound driver. I don't know if Windows has a way to do 4.1 audio. The EDID only specifies the maximum number of channels per audio format, and the speaker data block isn't used for anything in Windows.
08-02-2021, 01:56 AM
(07-31-2021 06:44 PM)Joshaze Wrote:  Would you consider adding a "CVT-RB3 Draft" timing calculator to CRU, perhaps to a test version?

The proposed VESA Reduced Blank v3 timings "facilitate Adaptive-Sync operation and guarantee attainment of target refresh rate"
All that means is the target refresh rate is multiplied by 1.00035 Hz and so it can hit anything below with adaptive sync. CRU entered frequencies are always a minimum, so you can get a similar result by entering 60.021 instead of 60, although I think it should be at least 60.1 to give it enough wiggle room. The only other difference is the horizontal blanking can be set to any multiple of 8 between 80-200, which you can set by switching to manual. Otherwise, it's basically the same as v2, so I'm not sure it's worth having a separate calculator.
08-02-2021, 01:57 AM
(08-01-2021 08:26 AM)JayBee Wrote:  I recently bought a LG 55nano91 4K TV and a RTX 3060, and I am trying to remove the 4096x2160 resolutions that prevent the GPU scaling from working correctly at 120Hz (defaults to 4096 instead of the native 3840 horizontal res).

Issue is that if I edit anything with CRU on that monitor, when I restart the display drivers or restart the PC, my screens (I got 2 screens connected) blink a bit and then windows crashes, mouse cursor frozen and nothing reacts.
Unplugging the TV, rebooting the PC, then deleting the modified driver in CRU solves the issue, but then if I edit again it comes back.

I bet it has something to do with the extension blocks reading/writing?
It's mentioned in the first post that there is an issue with Nvidia and reading the extra extension blocks, but I really don't understand how to fix that issue Undecided

(08-01-2021 10:29 PM)wrathloki Wrote:  I’m trying to remove the 4096x2160 resolutions from the EDID of my LG CX (to get rid of black bars in certain games) and I’m running into a problem. After deleting these resolutions, closing CRU, and restarting the computer or running the restart tool I get no signal on all monitors connected. I have to forcibly shut down the computer, disconnect the HDMI, boot back up, and run the reset tool before reconnecting the HDMI to get the TV displaying again. How can I get this to work? My video card is a 3070ti and current drivers are 471.41.

Edit: Looks like I’m having the same exact problem as JayBee, also with an LG set.

Driver crashes are always a driver bug, so it should be reported to NVIDIA. This sounds like a new problem, so try an older driver like 466.77.
08-02-2021, 03:31 AM
(08-02-2021 01:57 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Driver crashes are always a driver bug, so it should be reported to NVIDIA. This sounds like a new problem, so try an older driver like 466.77.
I see, I'll try old drivers and report how it behaves.

Please note that the crash happens only when editing the TV extension blocks, not when I edit the other screens connected to the same PC/GPU.
I also tried reading the EDID info with another app, and while the other screen read perfectly, I got a warning on the TV telling me the EDID blocks were too large and couldn't be read entirely.

Also, while the TV is connected directly to the GPU HDMI 2.1 port, the other screens are connected through DP or DP=>HDMI adapter, not sure if that makes a difference or not.
08-02-2021, 04:12 PM (Last edited: 08-02-2021, 04:12 PM by JayBee)
(08-02-2021 01:57 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Driver crashes are always a driver bug, so it should be reported to NVIDIA. This sounds like a new problem, so try an older driver like 466.77.
I clean installed the drivers you recommended, and indeed, this time it's working!
And as a bonus I can also set the audio to 5.1 for the ARC to the amp, that's fantastic, thanks a ton Big Grin
Now I wonder what would be the best way to report the bug to Nvidia so that they'd actually notice/care Undecided
08-07-2021, 11:02 AM (Last edited: 08-07-2021, 11:04 AM by SickaJacks)
Yo guys, first time I heard about CRU and trying to use it. Maybe a silly question but I need help:
I got dual monitor setup:
- Acer XF240h 1920x1080 @144hz (8bit through DP)
- LG 27GL23A 2560x1440 @144hz (10bit through DP)

I do have a MSI GTX 1080.

The problem I am facing is, that my GPU wont downclock when idle.. it only does when only 1 screen is turned on.

I read that this is a common problem and it has to make with refresh rates that Windows is mismatching.

I just wanna match those refreshrates.. what is the best thing I can do?

Thanks in advance, sorry for my English..
08-07-2021, 01:08 PM
Hi, I'm trying to use an external monitor with my laptop, and CRU to create a custom res. My second screen works fine, but the moment I create a custom res (1440x1080 at 75hz), the second screen goes black post restart and I have to reset everything via the laptop screen to go back to normal. I know the monitor supports this res as I have used this res on this monitor using a different pc setup. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? When I create the res I definitely create it for the monitor and not for the laptop screen.
08-07-2021, 04:16 PM
(08-07-2021 11:02 AM)SickaJacks Wrote:  Yo guys, first time I heard about CRU and trying to use it. Maybe a silly question but I need help:
I got dual monitor setup:
- Acer XF240h 1920x1080 @144hz (8bit through DP)
- LG 27GL23A 2560x1440 @144hz (10bit through DP)

I do have a MSI GTX 1080.

The problem I am facing is, that my GPU wont downclock when idle.. it only does when only 1 screen is turned on.

I read that this is a common problem and it has to make with refresh rates that Windows is mismatching.

I just wanna match those refreshrates.. what is the best thing I can do?
Using the "Exact" timing options will make the refresh rates match exactly, but that might not be enough. In theory it should work if the refresh rates match, but the video card might only be capable of downclocking if the pixel clocks are synchronized, which is harder to do with different resolutions. If you make the totals match, the pixel clocks will be perfectly synchronized, but there might not be any totals that both monitors will accept. You will have to play around and see.