Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-14-2021, 01:04 AM (Last edited: 11-14-2021, 01:05 AM by LOV)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(11-14-2021 12:15 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-13-2021 03:33 AM)LOV Wrote:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CoRgl-Q...sp=sharing

I've recorded a video, so it might be easier to see what i did Wink
In the video, when i launch Dota 2, the game is frozed and i have to press ALT+TAB x3225 times to see what's happen when i click on stuff in game (when the screen is black it is when i press ALT+TAB)

As you can see, the timings between NVIDIA panel and CRU are differents. I already tried with same values for both.
You're doing too many steps at once. You don't need the same resolutions in both the NVIDIA control panel and CRU. Delete the NVIDIA custom resolutions. Then run reset-all.exe and reboot to reset everything. Then use CRU to delete the second extension block only, and add a DisplayID 1.3 extension block. Then add the 215 Hz resolutions in the extension block. Don't do anything else until you confirm that works. That should be enough to get Dota to recognize the refresh rate.

ToastyX,
I already found the solution 2 hours ago Big Grin, i copied the same timings from NVIDIA panel in CRU and use DP 1.3, then deleted the custom resolutions from NVIDIA panel, but i can only can use 214hz, because ALT+TAB is bugged in 215hz i got black screen and DP not detected.
At 214hz it works amazingly well. Thanks again dude Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-14-2021, 12:20 PM
There is a problem with my cru that when ever i create a new res with 75 hz in cru and start the restart 64 it crashes my drives and my whole screen goes black and my system restarts where as in my navidia control panel the 75 hz res seems to work fine (1600x900) can any body help
11-14-2021, 02:34 PM
(11-14-2021 12:15 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Some monitors can scale down higher resolutions similar to how NVIDIA's DSR works except in the monitor instead of the GPU. The monitor should tell you what resolution it's receiving somewhere in the OSD.

Thank you so much for your answer, I'm a big fan of your work.

Well, the OSD is showing correctly I guess. But still, is this enough "proof", so to speak, that is indeed running said resolution? The thing is, I would like to share these findings, but in order to do so I feel I must understand it a bit better first.

https://imgur.com/I6528bh
**Sorry, I took it with my phone and wasn't able to bring the img size down to the 2mb limit.
11-14-2021, 10:37 PM (Last edited: 11-14-2021, 11:00 PM by d2freak)
(11-14-2021 12:15 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-13-2021 01:49 PM)d2freak Wrote:  One thing is on my mind though. This used to work. On the very same computer. This weird behaviour started after I used another program called Moonlight, which is a program for Android to mirror the PC screen to your phone for gaming. It hooks into GeForce Experience.

Why can this be related? Well, here is the thing: If you use a non-standard resoulution in that program (such as my phones res) it injects it somehow onto the computer and switches to it. This is supposed to be temporary and it should not be visible in any list (I asked the dev about this). Problem is, this resolution got "stuck" on my computer. I tried to remove it in CRU but it didn't show up there.

So... I used reset-all from CRU and it removed the weird resolution, as well as my working CRU settings. Ever since then, I've had this weird problem I described. Like from exactly that day. Do you think CRU and Moonlight could have interacted badly with eachother causing this buggy state?

Also, if I go into "list all modes" in windows, after applying the correct CRU settings, I still see 4k resolutions as well as that resolution from Moonlight (1440x900)...not sure if this is the problem too? I don't know how to delete stuff from that list.
NVIDIA does have a function to set a temporary resolution, which is what the NVIDIA control panel uses when testing custom resolutions, so Moonlight could have triggered a bug in the driver that's persisting in the driver's settings. Try reinstalling the NVIDIA driver after using DDU to completely uninstall the driver: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driv...aller-ddu-

Alright I did as you suggested. I uninstalled the driver, ran DDU (twice, as it recommended) between reboots and then reinstalled the proper driver.

Next, I made my changes in CRU. Still the same problem......

I found something out though: The resolutions that returns after a reboot, if I click them in Windows 10 settings, nothing happens! It's the list itself that is bugged... do you know how such a thing could be fixed? Games etc still thinks I have 4k just because that damn list has them.
11-15-2021, 04:22 AM
(11-14-2021 10:37 PM)d2freak Wrote:  I found something out though: The resolutions that returns after a reboot, if I click them in Windows 10 settings, nothing happens! It's the list itself that is bugged... do you know how such a thing could be fixed? Games etc still thinks I have 4k just because that damn list has them.
It can only be a driver bug, but I haven't seen this particular bug before. It seems similar to an old bug that was triggered when GeForce Experience loads, but having the extension block should have worked around that.

Instead of deleting the extension block, leave everything and delete 3840x2160 from the detailed resolutions and from the data blocks in this guide: https://www.monitortests.com/blog/guide-...4096x2160/
11-15-2021, 04:22 AM
(11-14-2021 02:34 PM)wyld0077 Wrote:  Well, the OSD is showing correctly I guess. But still, is this enough "proof", so to speak, that is indeed running said resolution?
Yes, but it's scaled down to the native resolution by the monitor.
11-15-2021, 04:25 AM
(11-14-2021 12:20 PM)abdulrahmanq68@gmail.com Wrote:  There is a problem with my cru that when ever i create a new res with 75 hz in cru and start the restart 64 it crashes my drives and my whole screen goes black and my system restarts where as in my navidia control panel the 75 hz res seems to work fine (1600x900) can any body help
Try rebooting instead of running restart64.exe. If it won't boot properly, then it's a driver bug. Try installing 471.11.
11-15-2021, 07:12 AM (Last edited: 11-15-2021, 08:57 AM by gowthamn)
I am trying to get this to work for streaming the desktop using NVidia Gamestream.

Assuming I configure 4k and HDR correctly, how to make sure that moonlight on the client side is reproducing it correctly? This might depend on the client used. The Shield TV for example caps 3440 X 1440 at 50HZ. Even if my monitor and GPU can reach 100HZ. So what is the best client device and the best client software to use to get max performance?

Also, is there a way to quickly switch between different settings? Like if I connect from the TV in the living room then it should be 4k and the one on the bedroom should be 1080p.
11-15-2021, 01:23 PM
(11-15-2021 04:22 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-14-2021 10:37 PM)d2freak Wrote:  I found something out though: The resolutions that returns after a reboot, if I click them in Windows 10 settings, nothing happens! It's the list itself that is bugged... do you know how such a thing could be fixed? Games etc still thinks I have 4k just because that damn list has them.
It can only be a driver bug, but I haven't seen this particular bug before. It seems similar to an old bug that was triggered when GeForce Experience loads, but having the extension block should have worked around that.

Instead of deleting the extension block, leave everything and delete 3840x2160 from the detailed resolutions and from the data blocks in this guide: https://www.monitortests.com/blog/guide-...4096x2160/

I tried to just remove the resolutions (thanks for the guide). Same problem.

That old bug you speak of, what were the details? Because it sure seems like the bug happens only when Windows starts.

What I've found:
If I run restart64, everything is fine. After a reboot, they come back.
If I choose "update driver" from the device manager and choose exactly the one already installed, it reinstalls it and everything is fine. After a reboot, they come back.
And they aren't clickable. Just rogue resolutions.

To me, it sounds like some bug triggers at the boot of the computer, no? Every action to reinitialize the driver seems to fix it every time without fail.

I am using GeForce experience, using gamestream via it. The card is a RTX 2060.
11-16-2021, 03:01 AM
(11-15-2021 01:23 PM)d2freak Wrote:  That old bug you speak of, what were the details? Because it sure seems like the bug happens only when Windows starts.
The old bug was if a monitor has an extension block and it is deleted, added resolutions will appear in the Windows display settings but not the NVIDIA control panel, but you're doing the opposite and removing resolutions. CRU 1.3 and later also writes a blank extension block automatically in that case, so it shouldn't happen anymore. The bug triggers when GeForce Experience loads after you log in, or if you scan for new hardware in the device manager. This is 100% an NVIDIA issue and not anything with Windows.