Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
05-29-2022, 05:29 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(05-26-2022 04:24 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-26-2022 02:37 AM)carbs Wrote:  I have attached the default file that generates on a complete reset and my attempt to add forced display scaled 1440x1080.
You need to read the part about extension blocks.

I have now, and when removing the default extension block and only having the DisplayID 2.0 extension block on CRU, I either get black screens or stuck on 1920x1080@60Hz. I guess I am just better off sticking with custom resolutions made in Nvidia control panel.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2022, 02:02 AM
Question for Toasty
Hello Toasty, hope you're having a nice week. I wanted to try overclocking my 240 Hz Monitor, I used the automatic option and the reduced timings but I was only able to get around +3 HZ increase. So I did a some manual timing using Nvidia Control Panel where at 1920x1080 I set all the porch and sync values there to 1 and reduce the "Total Vertical" to 1085 and managed to get 260 Hz. I tried reducing the "Total Horizontal" as well but even a single adjustment resulted in a black screen so I did not touch that. My question is, is there any downsides into using the method I did above? Keep in mind I don't need or use V Sync or G Sync, just wondering if there is any downsides and a way to maybe improve even further by lowering the Total Horizontal.
05-30-2022, 09:43 PM
(05-28-2022 08:11 PM)Bertie_bassett Wrote:  
(05-27-2022 10:15 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-27-2022 11:36 AM)Bertie_bassett Wrote:  So my default position is that Windows display settings "active signal resolution" says 2160p but the display driver is set to render the desktop at 1080p. I'm completely lacking any confidence that the native res output from Kodi isn't being manipulated down to 1080p by the Intel driver then back up to 2160p by Windows to meet its "active display resolution" setting.

What is going on? I'm sure sending a video file to my TV at native resolution with no scaling shouldn't be this hard to achieve. Can CRU help me achieve what I want to achieve?
It sounds to me like there might be a driver bug that causes the scaling option to reset after certain resolution changes. The way Windows drivers are supposed to work is refresh rates at the native resolution are added at lower resolutions as scaled resolutions if the EDID does not have that specific resolution defined. For example, if 3840x2160 @ 24 Hz exists but not 1920x1080 @ 24 Hz, it will scale 1920x1080 @ 24 Hz to 3840x2160. You have to make sure the refresh rates you want exist for all the resolutions you want in the EDID. If this is happening with all the resolutions and refresh rates defined in the EDID, then it might be a driver bug. Unfortunately, CRU can't read the extension block with Intel GPUs, so that makes it harder to see what's defined by default. What is the product ID for your TV as shown in the CRU monitor list?

This sounds promising, thank you for such a detailed reply. I haven’t actually been able to install CRU yet so I can’t answer your question about the product ID, but as soon as I can I’ll post back here. However, I am routing the signal to my TV via one of these which could well be reporting the EDID info incorrectly. This device does support EDID editing, and I suspect that the only remedy would be to manually edit the EDID… that’s a bit daunting to say the least. But I will explore.

Thanks again!

I’ve had a play around with modifying the EDID data using your wonderful tool, and I have NEARLY got things to work as they should. The best I can do now is:

- use CRU to copy the EDID info for my Samsung Q80T display into the EDID for the splitter thing I’m using. This should give the GPU the most accurate display capability info.

- then use CRU to add back in the audio support that I need for my AVR (namely the DTS codecs). This all works really well.

- Set Windows resolution to 1080p60, and select “maintain display scaling” in the Intel Command Centre

Once I do all of this, Kodi plays back 2160p24 files at 2160p24, and 1080p25 files at 1080p50. All seems good. However, 1080p24 (actually 23.976) files cause Kodi to switch resolution to 4096x2160, which the TV then will downscale again to 3840x2160. Argh!

What do I need to add or change in CRU that will tell Kodi that 1080p23.976 is an accepted resolution for my TV? 1080p24 appears in the Tv Resolutions list in the EDID I can see, and deleting 4096x2160p resolutions from this list causes Kodi to revert to displaying all 1080p content at 60fps (ie desktop resolution/ refresh rate). Whitelisting in Kodi makes no difference. Behaviour seems the same whether Intel GPU drivers are set to 8 or 12 bpc, RGB / 444 / 442…

I don’t really understand the difference between “detailed resolutions” and “TV resolutions” - do I need to be adding 1080p23.976 as a “detailed resolution” as that is a different refresh rate to the 24fps shown in the “tv resolutions”? Or do I misunderstand?

I guess what I would really love is a simple, generic .bin file that tells Kodi that I have a TV which will accept 1080p and 2160p resolutions at all normal frame rates, as well as DD/DD+/TruHD/DTS-HDMA audio formats. Does such a file exist and might this help?
05-31-2022, 01:49 PM
Help please changing Monitor ID
Hello! I have been using CRU for a while now and it is excellent, so thank you! Currently I am encountering a stubborn problem. I am using an LG C1 OLED and with 120hz and BFI it is possible to use this TV with the old Nvidia 3D vision glasses and the effect mostly comes together but there is still some cross talk. There is a utility made to allow you to fine tune the timing between the glasses and display to help mitigate this and in order to use it you have to change your TV's monitor ID to be the same as one of the official 3D vision displays that came out. So I used CRU to go in and change the ID of my TV from what it was "GSMC0C8" to that of a reccomended 3D vision display "VSC591E" and after restarting I encounter a bug of sorts. As long as I leave the ID changed I cannot whatsoever get the "active display resolution" to change in Windows, it is stuck at 4096x2160 if I choose 120hz and 3840x2160 at 60hz and below. I check CRU and make sure all my other resolutions are still in the EDID profile, and restart the displays again but nothing, if I use Nvidia Control Panel to set a custom resolution even when entering all timings manually it still goes right to one of those two resolutions. What can I do to keep my TV functioning like normally but still be able to change this monitor ID? Thanks again
05-31-2022, 05:38 PM
(05-31-2022 01:49 PM)Abwezi Wrote:  Hello! I have been using CRU for a while now and it is excellent, so thank you! Currently I am encountering a stubborn problem. I am using an LG C1 OLED and with 120hz and BFI it is possible to use this TV with the old Nvidia 3D vision glasses and the effect mostly comes together but there is still some cross talk. There is a utility made to allow you to fine tune the timing between the glasses and display to help mitigate this and in order to use it you have to change your TV's monitor ID to be the same as one of the official 3D vision displays that came out. So I used CRU to go in and change the ID of my TV from what it was "GSMC0C8" to that of a reccomended 3D vision display "VSC591E" and after restarting I encounter a bug of sorts. As long as I leave the ID changed I cannot whatsoever get the "active display resolution" to change in Windows, it is stuck at 4096x2160 if I choose 120hz and 3840x2160 at 60hz and below. I check CRU and make sure all my other resolutions are still in the EDID profile, and restart the displays again but nothing, if I use Nvidia Control Panel to set a custom resolution even when entering all timings manually it still goes right to one of those two resolutions. What can I do to keep my TV functioning like normally but still be able to change this monitor ID? Thanks again
NVIDIA's driver seems to disable display scaling for certain IDs, possibly to make sure 3D works with all resolutions. I don't see a way around it because it seems to be hard-coded in the driver.
05-31-2022, 05:38 PM
(05-30-2022 09:43 PM)Bertie_bassett Wrote:  What do I need to add or change in CRU that will tell Kodi that 1080p23.976 is an accepted resolution for my TV? 1080p24 appears in the Tv Resolutions list in the EDID I can see, and deleting 4096x2160p resolutions from this list causes Kodi to revert to displaying all 1080p content at 60fps (ie desktop resolution/ refresh rate). Whitelisting in Kodi makes no difference. Behaviour seems the same whether Intel GPU drivers are set to 8 or 12 bpc, RGB / 444 / 442…

I don’t really understand the difference between “detailed resolutions” and “TV resolutions” - do I need to be adding 1080p23.976 as a “detailed resolution” as that is a different refresh rate to the 24fps shown in the “tv resolutions”? Or do I misunderstand?

I guess what I would really love is a simple, generic .bin file that tells Kodi that I have a TV which will accept 1080p and 2160p resolutions at all normal frame rates, as well as DD/DD+/TruHD/DTS-HDMA audio formats. Does such a file exist and might this help?
TV resolutions are CTA-861 standard resolutions intended for TVs, while detailed resolutions let you define custom timing parameters. TV resolutions are supposed to include both refresh rates, but that's up to the driver. If the driver added both, you should see both 23 Hz and 24 Hz listed in the Windows display settings. It's not possible to define both with detailed resolutions because Windows will consider both to be 24 Hz and only use one of them. Is 1920x1080 @ 24 Hz available in the Windows display settings, and is it scaled correctly? If so, the problem is on Kodi's end. I can't make a generic .bin file because I don't know what your TV supports. Do you have a copy of the TV's original EDID and the changes you made?
05-31-2022, 05:39 PM
(05-30-2022 02:02 AM)PhantomLeax Wrote:  Hello Toasty, hope you're having a nice week. I wanted to try overclocking my 240 Hz Monitor, I used the automatic option and the reduced timings but I was only able to get around +3 HZ increase. So I did a some manual timing using Nvidia Control Panel where at 1920x1080 I set all the porch and sync values there to 1 and reduce the "Total Vertical" to 1085 and managed to get 260 Hz. I tried reducing the "Total Horizontal" as well but even a single adjustment resulted in a black screen so I did not touch that. My question is, is there any downsides into using the method I did above? Keep in mind I don't need or use V Sync or G Sync, just wondering if there is any downsides and a way to maybe improve even further by lowering the Total Horizontal.
The only issue is the GPU's memory clock can't clock down when idle if the vertical blanking is too low. For horizontal, don't change the front porch and sync width to 1. Horizontal values are usually multiples of 8, so they probably need to be at least 8, and the sync width is normally 32 for CVT-RB.
06-01-2022, 05:39 PM
(05-31-2022 05:38 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  NVIDIA's driver seems to disable display scaling for certain IDs, possibly to make sure 3D works with all resolutions. I don't see a way around it because it seems to be hard-coded in the driver.

Thanks this got me on the right track. I just went ahead and removed all other modes but the one I needed from the EDID and it worked great
06-02-2022, 07:04 PM
White screen and black bars
Hello I recently tried overclocking my computer screen I followed some videos that shows how to do it with one of your programs but the problem and that if you have any idea how
to repair it . I can write to you, the screen is white with black bars I tried to do everything like restart ,look in the bios, nothing can be done the screen remains frozen I tried everything but nothing and also I did it on a laptop
So if you have a solution answer me
06-02-2022, 07:14 PM
(06-02-2022 07:04 PM)Chorama Wrote:  Hello I recently tried overclocking my computer screen I followed some videos that shows how to do it with one of your programs but the problem and that if you have any idea how
to repair it . I can write to you, the screen is white with black bars I tried to do everything like restart ,look in the bios, nothing can be done the screen remains frozen I tried everything but nothing and also I did it on a laptop
So if you have a solution answer me
Can you see the BIOS/EFI screen and the boot screen before Windows starts?