Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-21-2022, 07:34 PM (Last edited: 06-21-2022, 07:38 PM by FrannDzs)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(06-21-2022 05:54 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-20-2022 10:32 PM)FrannDzs Wrote:  Hello, how are you?

I am writing because I am having problems with CRU now in Windows 11. It no longer locks the resolution as before in Windows 10. I have a GTX 550 ti on a CRT display which does not correctly recognize the supported resolution and frequency. These go higher than they really should. My max screen resolution is 1280x1024 at 60hz, and I used to set this to CRU and higher resolutions disappeared from the list, just as I expected. But now it doesn't work anymore. It shows resolutions out of support and therefore the programs start believing that my resolution is 2500x..... Do you know anything about this? I hope you can help me to solve this problem. I really used this program a lot and would like to continue using it.
If you need more information I can provide you.
Thanks in advance
It sounds like your CRT doesn't have an EDID, or the cable is missing the DDC pins. Windows 11 does not seem to process EDID overrides for displays without an EDID. You might have better luck using an HDMI to VGA adapter, which will provide a default EDID if missing, which you can then override with CRU if needed. Without an EDID, NVIDIA provides a default list of resolutions. You can edit that list by searching the registry for NV_Modes and using this guide: http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/43.45...de_2.1.pdf

Hello!, I am writing again to thank you very much. After reading carefully, I followed all the steps and managed to remove the unsupported resolutions and set 60hz only for one set of resolutions. I didn't understand much about those sets but it works now. I just added =1 at the end for lock 60hz. Thanks!!! Heart
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-2022, 07:50 PM (Last edited: 06-21-2022, 09:04 PM by Sunspark)
Hi, I am experiencing an unexpected issue with my Intel iGPU.

I was successful at using CRU w/ "Exact" drop-down to set 60.000 Hz at a native resolution of 2048x1152 (all the others set other values like 59.94).

This 60 Hz resolution is maintained on power-on/restart of the computer.

The issue is if I sleep Windows 10 and wake it up it does not re-adopt the 60 Hz refresh and instead drops down to the original driver default of 59.876 Hz for the display and 59.90 for the compositor.

The only way to make it go back to 60 is to either re-run the restart64.exe utility manually every time on wake-from-sleep or restart the machine.

Why wouldn't the original refresh rate be kept on wake-from-sleep?

Edit: I guess the answer is driver bug.. searching around I see that others have to do the same thing.. so there's this reload.exe utility and also restart64.exe which can both be called from the Windows task scheduler on wake-from-sleep so I guess that is a solution that can be set up.
06-21-2022, 09:09 PM (Last edited: 06-21-2022, 09:29 PM by Sunspark)
I noticed there was no active extension block in Windows 10 w/ CRU but I knew one existed and it was still visible in Windows 7.

I clicked 'export' in Win7 and in W10 I clicked 'import' and now I have added "CTA-861: 4 detailed resolutions, 4 data blocks (HDMI)".

My question is, is this something that is advantageous to do, or it makes no difference to anything?

The other night when I was experimenting with adding a custom CVT-RB2 timing in the Intel driver settings for native resolution, I discovered an edge case on my older monitor which would cause HDCP to fail.

H V
+ + = Works
- - = FAILS HDCP
+ - = FAILS HDCP (also refresh rate slightly higher than the other 3)
- + = Works

Not a big deal, and I'm not using CVT-RB2 now, but it was interesting to observe that sync polarities actually did make a difference for HDCP. The other timing methods CVT-RB, DMT, etc. were not affected.

Polarities did not affect the display, only HDCP (black screen requiring power off).

ToastyX, do you have any theories as to why -+ would work for HDCP, but not +-?
06-21-2022, 10:13 PM
Hello.

I dont have a problem with resolutions, but I have recent developed some issues with Windows 10 moving apps from one monitor to another if I shut the monitor off while the pc is ON. If I make sure the monitor is ON before waking from sleep mode, I have no problem.

I know this is a common problem, taking many forms depending on the setup .

My question, would using CRU prevent this problem or mitigate it in some way ? Normally I'd read through the posts , but 670 pages is a bit much ;-)
06-22-2022, 12:22 AM
(06-21-2022 10:13 PM)Jim Davis Wrote:  Hello.

I dont have a problem with resolutions, but I have recent developed some issues with Windows 10 moving apps from one monitor to another if I shut the monitor off while the pc is ON. If I make sure the monitor is ON before waking from sleep mode, I have no problem.

I know this is a common problem, taking many forms depending on the setup .

My question, would using CRU prevent this problem or mitigate it in some way ? Normally I'd read through the posts , but 670 pages is a bit much ;-)
No, CRU can't work around this problem. This tends to happen with DisplayPort because DisplayPort monitors disconnect when powered off. Windows moves the windows to another screen when the monitor disconnects because if it didn't, the windows would be stuck on a non-existent screen. If the monitor has HDMI, the problem is less likely to happen with HDMI because the EDID can be read even when powered off.
06-22-2022, 12:22 AM
(06-21-2022 09:09 PM)Sunspark Wrote:  I noticed there was no active extension block in Windows 10 w/ CRU but I knew one existed and it was still visible in Windows 7.

I clicked 'export' in Win7 and in W10 I clicked 'import' and now I have added "CTA-861: 4 detailed resolutions, 4 data blocks (HDMI)".

My question is, is this something that is advantageous to do, or it makes no difference to anything?
Default extension blocks should work with Intel. CRU just can't read it. Importing the extension block would be the same except you can edit it. I don't know how you were able to read the extension block in Windows 7 because CRU can't read extension blocks with Intel GPUs.

(06-21-2022 09:09 PM)Sunspark Wrote:  ToastyX, do you have any theories as to why -+ would work for HDCP, but not +-?
That shouldn't matter, so it's probably a monitor-specific issue.
06-22-2022, 02:21 AM
(06-22-2022 12:22 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Default extension blocks should work with Intel. CRU just can't read it. Importing the extension block would be the same except you can edit it. I don't know how you were able to read the extension block in Windows 7 because CRU can't read extension blocks with Intel GPUs.

Thanks. Right now it just says "Default Extension Block" (maybe because I disconnected the adapter) and the one with the detailed blocks has been moved to another monitor entry with * next to the name. I am thinking, maybe what happened is that the displayport to hdmi adapter I was using stored its own blocks in the monitor entry (which is detailed, with monitor's serial # etc. and is not now displayed in the detailed resolutions box) or, it read it directly and then stored the data without using the iGPU to do so.
06-22-2022, 03:36 AM
(06-22-2022 12:22 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  No, CRU can't work around this problem. This tends to happen with DisplayPort because DisplayPort monitors disconnect when powered off. Windows moves the windows to another screen when the monitor disconnects because if it didn't, the windows would be stuck on a non-existent screen. If the monitor has HDMI, the problem is less likely to happen with HDMI because the EDID can be read even when powered off.

In my case , I think this got wonky after a Nvidia Driver update.

The monitor in question is a 4k TV , using HDMI and is the PRIMARY monitor under Windows, so not sure why the apps shift to one of the other monitors which are ALSO turned off at the time. Seems to happen after a period of time , not immediately after turning off the TV.

Tried all the tricks . Deleting the reg keys under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers . Didn't seem to help this problem.
06-23-2022, 05:44 PM
ToastyX, this info on the first page doesn't work anymore "/q - Restart without prompting (or rename the file to restart-only.exe)".

I tried renaming it, and also creating a shortcut and adding /q at the end of the target string and both of them pop up the UAC prompt. Is there a way to skip the UAC so it will just run?
06-23-2022, 06:36 PM
(06-23-2022 05:44 PM)Sunspark Wrote:  ToastyX, this info on the first page doesn't work anymore "/q - Restart without prompting (or rename the file to restart-only.exe)".

I tried renaming it, and also creating a shortcut and adding /q at the end of the target string and both of them pop up the UAC prompt. Is there a way to skip the UAC so it will just run?
The prompt refers to the dialog, not UAC. To avoid the UAC prompt with Task Scheduler, you have to run it as an admin user with highest privileges.