Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-21-2022, 09:40 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(09-21-2022 01:59 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-21-2022 12:30 AM)Toetje583 Wrote:  I own the Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD + RX 6750XT and i'm trying to adopt my monitor to CVT-RB2 in order to let the AMD driver clock down the memory if two monitors are connected. However once I choose CVT-RB2 the refresh rate option becomes red and the highest I can go is 110.
Vertical front porch can't be greater than 63 with EDID detailed resolutions. Use CVT-RB instead, but the monitor probably already uses CVT-RB for 120 Hz by default. The issue with multiple monitors is not about having enough vertical blanking. For the GPU to clock down with two monitors, both monitors have to be perfectly synchronized so the vertical blanking periods happen at the same time. If both monitors are the same resolution, then they just need to use the same timing parameters and frequency.

Thank you for the detailed answer, and what if we are talking about 2560x1440 in combination with 2560x1080? I tried to match the refresh and some of the timings but that doesen't seem to work?

Regards,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-22-2022, 01:44 AM
(09-21-2022 09:40 AM)Toetje583 Wrote:  Thank you for the detailed answer, and what if we are talking about 2560x1440 in combination with 2560x1080? I tried to match the refresh and some of the timings but that doesen't seem to work?
If you make all the vertical parameters a multiple of 4 and the pixel clock a multiple of 0.04 for 2560x1440, that would allow making a 2560x1080 equivalent by multiplying the vertical parameters and the pixel clock by 0.75. These two should be perfectly synchronized:

I can't guarantee synchronizing them would allow the GPU to clock down because the driver might not handle all cases where the resolutions are different. I don't know what the hardware pixel clock granularity is, so if that doesn't work, maybe making the pixel clock 498.00 and 373.50 would help.
09-26-2022, 10:14 PM (Last edited: 09-26-2022, 10:22 PM by Peppe90)
Hi, I just discovered this program and have a couple questions.

I'm trying to connect a PC to a SD CRT Tv using the arcadeforge UMSA (VGA to SCART-RGB) adapter.

The PC has an Nvidia quadro k2200 with latest production branch drivers: R515 U4 (517.40).
The UMSA correctly works, the problem it that the nvidia control panel doesn't allow me to save custom resolutions. I quickly hot-switched the monitor VGA cable to another VGA connected to the UMSA (that's connected to the TV) and could correctly see a 320x240p @60hz picture on the SD CRT Tv. But then, even if I click on yes, the resolution is reverted back and the custom one is not saved.

I see on first page of this topic that this program has automatic CRT resolutions (576i and 480i). You think it'll work for my purpose?
Also is this program risky, considering that I'm not much expert in this things?

Sorry for any grammatical mistake, I'm not english.
09-28-2022, 07:53 PM
I'm having an odd issue I'm hoping for some assistance with.

When I only run 2 of my 3 monitors, I have all of the appropriate resolution options.
But as soon as I turn on a 3rd, I loose the resolution options I want for the 1st and 2nd, and Windows cannot identify them no matter what I do.

Here is what's happening told with images. https://imgur.com/a/QHSirGb

First, I mark monitor 2 as disconnected in the settings - Image 1
Then, because monitor 2 is disconnected, both monitors #1 and #3 display their proper resolution settings as options. Monitor 1 displays 2560 x 1080 and Monitor 2 displays 1080 x 1920 (it's in portrait). - Images 2 and 3
Next, I turn on monitor 2 - Image 4
Now, because of that, Monitor 1 doesn't show anything above 1920 x 1080, which is not correct aspect ratio as it is a 21:0. And monitor 3 doesn't have any 16:9 options. Image 5 and 6

Any ideas out there as to why this happening?
09-28-2022, 08:13 PM
(09-28-2022 07:53 PM)Mairsile Wrote:  I'm having an odd issue I'm hoping for some assistance with.

When I only run 2 of my 3 monitors, I have all of the appropriate resolution options.
But as soon as I turn on a 3rd, I loose the resolution options I want for the 1st and 2nd, and Windows cannot identify them no matter what I do.

Then, because monitor 2 is disconnected, both monitors #1 and #3 display their proper resolution settings as options. Monitor 1 displays 2560 x 1080 and Monitor 2 displays 1080 x 1920 (it's in portrait). - Images 2 and 3
Now, because of that, Monitor 1 doesn't show anything above 1920 x 1080, which is not correct aspect ratio as it is a 21:0. And monitor 3 doesn't have any 16:9 options. Image 5 and 6

That's a GPU-dependent problem. Either the GPU has a bandwidth limit, or it doesn't support the combination of connectors you're using.
09-28-2022, 08:13 PM
(09-26-2022 10:14 PM)Peppe90 Wrote:  I'm trying to connect a PC to a SD CRT Tv using the arcadeforge UMSA (VGA to SCART-RGB) adapter.

The PC has an Nvidia quadro k2200 with latest production branch drivers: R515 U4 (517.40).
The UMSA correctly works, the problem it that the nvidia control panel doesn't allow me to save custom resolutions. I quickly hot-switched the monitor VGA cable to another VGA connected to the UMSA (that's connected to the TV) and could correctly see a 320x240p @60hz picture on the SD CRT Tv. But then, even if I click on yes, the resolution is reverted back and the custom one is not saved.

I see on first page of this topic that this program has automatic CRT resolutions (576i and 480i). You think it'll work for my purpose?
Also is this program risky, considering that I'm not much expert in this things?
I don't know if it will work. CRU is meant for overriding monitor EDIDs, but a CRT TV doesn't have an EDID unless the adapter provides one. CRU can still create EDID overrides for monitors without EDIDs, but that doesn't seem to work anymore with Windows 11. If you have Windows 10 or earlier and the GPU supports VGA signals and interlaced (K2200 should), then it might be possible.

If you see "PNP09FF - Generic Non-PnP Monitor (active)" with the TV connected, then it might work if you add 480i. To get 480i with the Automatic timing modes, you have to enter 1440x240 @ 59.94 Hz with interlaced checked. CRU only supports separate sync, but I assume the adapter converts that to composite sync if it supports VGA signals.

It's possible to damage a fixed-frequency CRT with the wrong parameters if it doesn't do any checks, but most displays are designed to reject unsupported signals. Usually it just won't display correctly if the timing is off, or it won't display anything at all.
09-29-2022, 06:14 AM
Hi,,

Any way to force the HDMI 2.1 signal from FRL to TMDS if it's in the range of HDMI 2.0 bandwidth ?

my problem is that I have unusual setup so every day I have different issue.

So my setup is :
PC(RTX3080Ti) to HDFury VRROOM with fiber cable and then TX0 to LG C1, Audio Out to old AVR

TX1 another Fiber cable running to different room to Samsung S95B

the issue now is when the sound is any format other than PCM (DD,DD+,Atmos) I got dropout every 3-5 seconds, that's only if the signal is FRL to the Samsung (LG+AVR is perfect).

if I set the signal TMDS (4k23,12bit), the audio working fine to Samsung
*if I use 10bit it stays FRL (madvr auto switch to 10bit)*

I don't know what's the issue but it drives me crazy,

I also tried another VRROOM From TX1 before the Samsung TV and same issue occur.

I game on both 4k120 RGB 10bit VRR, without any issues with audio or video so I don't think it's cable issue.

*I use mpc-bc +madvr to watch if that help
09-29-2022, 03:55 PM
(09-28-2022 08:13 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-28-2022 07:53 PM)Mairsile Wrote:  I'm having an odd issue I'm hoping for some assistance with.

That's a GPU-dependent problem. Either the GPU has a bandwidth limit, or it doesn't support the combination of connectors you're using.

You appear to be correct.
The setup in those photos was PC->USB-C to a docking station->All monitors off the docking station.
I instead took the third monitor, and plugged it directly into the HDMI port of the PC, leaving the other two in the dock, and it works.

So that would lead me to believe it's not GPU limit, but a USB-C limit?
09-29-2022, 11:35 PM (Last edited: 09-30-2022, 12:19 AM by semaphore)
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out with the following.

I am using an EDID emulator to emulate my LG CX display on a headless PC. The problem is that the emulator is HDMI 2.0 compliant so the native resolution is set to 4K 60Hz @ 4.2.0 when I connect it to my RTX 3080 Ti. I am hoping to modify the EDID manually to default to full chroma (10b) and a higher refresh rate (90 or 120Hz). I know that I can't do this directly in the "Detailed Resolutions" section, but need to create a separate one as part of an "Extension Block". There are multiple options I can select here (CEA-861 or DisplayID 1.1/2.0) so I am not sure which one to pick. Regardless of which type of extension block I pick, I cannot select the created resolution in Windows nor Nvidia Control Panel. I also don't see how I can make this resolution the native one. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Please note that I am aware that there are physical limitations to the HDMI 2.0 connection itself. The only thing I really need the EDID profiles for is to be able to stream my games and desktop in that quality (4K 120 Hz HDR)
09-30-2022, 05:52 AM
Dear ToastyX:

Could you guide me how to create a 2560* 1440@165Hz & 3440x1440@144Hz bin Files via CRU tool ? My video card is RTX3070ti.

Thank you for your selfless efforts