Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-26-2022, 01:18 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-23-2022 08:07 PM)Peppe90 Wrote:  That's what I did, at first I never pressed the OK button on CRU, just exported the modified EDID and loaded it on Nvidia CP.
But as I said, Nvidia CP and Windows keep seeing the EDID as it was originally.
That doesn't make sense. You said the TV with the adapter isn't detected by default, so there is no original EDID. It has to be using what you loaded into the NVIDIA control panel. It's impossible for it to be anything else. You can use any EDID editor to see the exported file has the changes you made.

You might be misunderstanding something about the changes you're making. If you're deleting resolutions, sometimes the same resolution will be defined in multiple places. The graphics driver also automatically adds some common lower resolutions as scaled resolutions even if they're not defined in the EDID.

If you're adding low resolutions, Windows will not list resolutions less than 640x480, but they are available for programs to use. If the resolutions are not available, then you're running into some driver or hardware limitation.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(10-23-2022 10:32 PM)dexhdSSS Wrote:  hi
Can someone help
I used to calmly change from 60 to 100
But now CRU does not change resolution
intel
Notebook hp omen
Then the driver changed and is not allowing the changes for some reason.
(10-25-2022 09:17 PM)Mr4ssault Wrote:  Hey, i wanted to try a custom resolution on my lg 27gp850 it has an build in OC mode from 165hz to 180hz. When ever i try to make a custom resolution @180hz the letters turn red, or i get a weird line in the middle of the screen, screen goes black, screen flickers. I have tried every timing (i think). What can i do? I really want a custom res with display scaling, excuse me for my bad english.
If any numbers turn red, then it's out of EDID limits. You need to use a DisplayID extension block in that case. If the resolution doesn't display correctly, then the monitor doesn't support the resolution or the timing. Some monitors can only do higher refresh rates at the native resolution, so you have to use GPU scaling if that's the case.
10-26-2022, 07:15 AM (Last edited: 10-26-2022, 07:15 AM by Mr4ssault)
(10-26-2022 01:18 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-25-2022 09:17 PM)Mr4ssault Wrote:  Hey, i wanted to try a custom resolution on my lg 27gp850 it has an build in OC mode from 165hz to 180hz. When ever i try to make a custom resolution @180hz the letters turn red, or i get a weird line in the middle of the screen, screen goes black, screen flickers. I have tried every timing (i think). What can i do? I really want a custom res with display scaling, excuse me for my bad english.
If any numbers turn red, then it's out of EDID limits. You need to use a DisplayID extension block in that case. If the resolution doesn't display correctly, then the monitor doesn't support the resolution or the timing. Some monitors can only do higher refresh rates at the native resolution, so you have to use GPU scaling if that's the case.
But why can it run native @180hz with display scaling and not a custom resolution, and what timings do you recommend try?
10-26-2022, 12:26 PM
Hello i decided to go with an custom res via nvidia control panel since cru is not working for my monitor. when i select fullscreen and display scaling + override the in game scaling checked is it still gpu scaling then? Because i override the in game scaling so it should be display scaling since it is selected in nvidia control panel right?
10-26-2022, 02:17 PM
(10-26-2022 07:15 AM)Mr4ssault Wrote:  But why can it run native @180hz with display scaling and not a custom resolution, and what timings do you recommend try?
The native resolution isn't scaled.

(10-26-2022 12:26 PM)Mr4ssault Wrote:  Hello i decided to go with an custom res via nvidia control panel since cru is not working for my monitor. when i select fullscreen and display scaling + override the in game scaling checked is it still gpu scaling then? Because i override the in game scaling so it should be display scaling since it is selected in nvidia control panel right?
The same timing parameters work exactly the same with both CRU and the NVIDIA control panel. The monitor should tell you what resolution it's receiving in the menu somewhere. If it doesn't match the resolution you selected, then it's GPU scaling.

Why are NVIDIA users so obsessed with display scaling? I don't understand where this obsession is coming from.
10-27-2022, 11:09 AM (Last edited: 10-27-2022, 11:11 AM by IAmOrion)
Just for information, I re-ran DDU, re-installed latest AMD Drivers, but still my custom resolutions are *not* showing is the list under Windows 22H2
I don't think the issue is specific to CRU though - as previously mentioned, custom resolutions made from within the AMD Adrenaline software also do not show
10-29-2022, 06:07 PM
(10-27-2022 11:09 AM)IAmOrion Wrote:  Just for information, I re-ran DDU, re-installed latest AMD Drivers, but still my custom resolutions are *not* showing is the list under Windows 22H2
I don't think the issue is specific to CRU though - as previously mentioned, custom resolutions made from within the AMD Adrenaline software also do not show
Are you using any remote desktop or mirroring software? What is the monitor listed as in Device Manager? Do you see any display adapters listed other than the AMD GPU?
10-29-2022, 08:58 PM (Last edited: 10-29-2022, 09:16 PM by Peppe90)
(10-26-2022 01:18 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-23-2022 08:07 PM)Peppe90 Wrote:  That's what I did, at first I never pressed the OK button on CRU, just exported the modified EDID and loaded it on Nvidia CP.
But as I said, Nvidia CP and Windows keep seeing the EDID as it was originally.
That doesn't make sense. You said the TV with the adapter isn't detected by default, so there is no original EDID. It has to be using what you loaded into the NVIDIA control panel. It's impossible for it to be anything else. You can use any EDID editor to see the exported file has the changes you made.

Unfortunately it makes sense '^^

There are 2 TVs I'm referring to in my latest posts:

1. the SD-CRT (Mivar 28S4 Stereo) I'm trying to connect the PC to using the UMSA

2. the HD-CRT (Philips 32PW9551/12) from which I extracted the EDID as a base

Let's recap:

- I connected the PC to the HD-CRT (it obviously has an EDID) through HDMI and extracted the EDID (2 files, one using nvidia cp and the other using CRU, as I writed on a previous post, they seems the same).

- I modified the EDID and loaded it on the DVI-I port which is connected to the UMSA that's connected to the SD-CRT

The issue is that the PC sees the EDID as if it was un-edited. I can see all the HD-CRT resolutions as they originally was. I have modified most of them, for example the main resolutions were 1920x1080i / 1280x720p and I replaced them with your suggested one, 1440x480i and 1440x576i. But the PC keep seeing the original resolutions.

Should I make an EDID from scratch, is that even possible?

As you guessed it is probable I didn't edited the EDID correctly, could you please check it?

There 2 editings I made, they should be mostly the same: https://mega.nz/file/5RVAhCgB#qT5lQZCgou...X0mkoUgTtI
10-29-2022, 09:53 PM
(10-29-2022 08:58 PM)Peppe90 Wrote:  The issue is that the PC sees the EDID as if it was un-edited.
This is what doesn't make sense. This is impossible because it can only be using what you loaded.

(10-29-2022 08:58 PM)Peppe90 Wrote:  I can see all the HD-CRT resolutions as they originally was.
That's because you still have the resolutions in the EDID.

(10-29-2022 08:58 PM)Peppe90 Wrote:  I have modified most of them, for example the main resolutions were 1920x1080i / 1280x720p and I replaced them with your suggested one, 1440x480i and 1440x576i. But the PC keep seeing the original resolutions.
Both of your edits still have 1080i and 720p defined as TV resolutions. Windows might not list 480i and 576i, but they should be available for programs to use if the driver supports interlaced resolutions.

(10-29-2022 08:58 PM)Peppe90 Wrote:  Should I make an EDID from scratch, is that even possible?
Yes, but CRU doesn't have a way to do that. Here is a basic analog EDID with 480i and 576i:

.txt  edid.txt (Size: 392 bytes / Downloads: 91)

You should be able to load that into the NVIDIA control panel as is. You can also import it with CRU to edit the resolutions.