Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-19-2023, 07:15 AM (Last edited: 03-19-2023, 07:17 AM by Man)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
So, I've this old Asus VH222 1080p 75Hz monitor, paired with a R9 380. As you can tell, this setup is ancient and the R9 380 is essentially a 1050Ti that consumes almost 3x more power.

Now the thing is, this setup is no longer able to hit solid 60, let alone 75. So, what I've done is underclocked my monitor to various refresh rates (40/45/48/50Hz) via CRU. When I can't hit 75, I just move down to 60 > 50 > 45 so on (48Hz is just for films).

The problem is that it's getting harder to maintain even solid 45FPS and when I set the refresh rate to 40Hz, the input lag just gets unbearable. It feels fine at 45Hz, BTW. My question is, is there a way to improve input latency?

Detailed resolutions have lots of parameters etc. so I was wondering if it's possible to somehow "tighten" the monitor's timings or something at 40Hz, just to make it more bearable? For example, high refresh rate monitors often suck at 60Hz because they introduce a lot of input lag and I feel like I'm facing a similar "phenomenon" at 40Hz on my 75Hz monitor.

Like for example, the Asus VG279QM has extremely high input lag at 60Hz, as per Rtings: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/a...#test_1435

So, is there a way to lower the input lag or am I all out of luck?

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2023, 04:21 AM
(03-19-2023 07:15 AM)Man Wrote:  So, I've this old Asus VH222 1080p 75Hz monitor, paired with a R9 380. As you can tell, this setup is ancient and the R9 380 is essentially a 1050Ti that consumes almost 3x more power.

Now the thing is, this setup is no longer able to hit solid 60, let alone 75. So, what I've done is underclocked my monitor to various refresh rates (40/45/48/50Hz) via CRU. When I can't hit 75, I just move down to 60 > 50 > 45 so on (48Hz is just for films).

The problem is that it's getting harder to maintain even solid 45FPS and when I set the refresh rate to 40Hz, the input lag just gets unbearable. It feels fine at 45Hz, BTW. My question is, is there a way to improve input latency?

Detailed resolutions have lots of parameters etc. so I was wondering if it's possible to somehow "tighten" the monitor's timings or something at 40Hz, just to make it more bearable? For example, high refresh rate monitors often suck at 60Hz because they introduce a lot of input lag and I feel like I'm facing a similar "phenomenon" at 40Hz on my 75Hz monitor.

Like for example, the Asus VG279QM has extremely high input lag at 60Hz, as per Rtings: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/a...#test_1435

So, is there a way to lower the input lag or am I all out of luck?

Thanks in advance.
Only certain high refresh rate monitors with FreeSync have lag at 60 Hz. Most monitors don't behave that way. Monitors that don't buffer frames usually have no significant lag at any refresh rate. You mentioned you prefer using vsync with the frame rate capped. That's where the lag is coming from. The only way to avoid that lag is to disable vsync and remove frame rate caps.
03-20-2023, 04:21 AM
(03-17-2023 10:19 PM)izy Wrote:  Thanks for the reply , that is what i thought too but i had to be sure, i see no reason for DL on the monitor but in the manual says its DL (in the specs only says DVI-D) and I was wondering if indeed its DL if i could get an higher OC because of the higher bandwidth.
I was not sure about the tearing as i am not having tearing at 60hz but i am having it at 75hz and more noticeable if i cap the fps at 75fps, using like 72hz , 73hz without altering CRU timings has less tearing and thats why i was confused.

Edit: pic with the back of the board , seems that it has the pins for DVI-D DL soldered if i am not wrong:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/1OoAAOSwE...-l1600.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/p5MAAOSwb...-l1600.jpg
You shouldn't cap the frame rate to the refresh rate. That's the worst thing you can do for tearing because you'll get a jiggling line. Tearing looks bad when the frame rate is close to the refresh rate. You want the frame rate to be as high as possible away from the refresh rate. If that's not achievable, then at least cap it to something a few frames below the refresh rate. Capping the frame rate to 70 FPS at 75 Hz will look better because the tearing won't be in one spot. The only way to avoid tearing completely is to use vsync, but that will add lag.

Most 60 Hz monitors are hard-coded to reject anything beyond 75-85 Hz. Using a dual-link DVI cable won't change what refresh rates the monitor will accept. The monitor and GPU have no way of knowing if you're using a single-link or dual-link cable. The GPU always sends a single-link signal up to 165 MHz pixel clock and a dual-link signal beyond 165 MHz no matter what cable is being used. The patcher raises that to 230 MHz. If the monitor actually supports dual-link DVI, then you won't need the patcher beyond 165 MHz. If the monitor only supports single-link DVI and the GPU sends a dual-link signal, the monitor will ignore the other link and the resolution will have a blocky look with half the pixels missing unless you use the patcher to send a single-link signal. That 165 MHz switchover is exact by the way, so anything beyond that is a monitor limitation.
03-20-2023, 05:34 PM
(03-20-2023 04:21 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Only certain high refresh rate monitors with FreeSync have lag at 60 Hz. Most monitors don't behave that way. Monitors that don't buffer frames usually have no significant lag at any refresh rate. You mentioned you prefer using vsync with the frame rate capped. That's where the lag is coming from. The only way to avoid that lag is to disable vsync and remove frame rate caps.

I see. I didn't realize that some monitors have frame buffers. BTW, is there a way to 'test' whether or not the monitor has a frame buffer? The thing is, I've been meaning to replace my entire setup and am thinking about getting at least a 144Hz FreeSync monitor so... just in case.

Googled turned up nothing and you're pretty much the go-to-guy when it comes to monitors so I apologize for asking so many questions!

Thanks in advance.
03-20-2023, 07:48 PM (Last edited: 03-20-2023, 07:50 PM by PomiotSzatana69)
Hello.
Is there any way to bypass standard resolution 123hz refresh rate cap? I want to set it to 240hz.
Or maybe someone will have another solution for my problem?

Situation looks like that - one certain game forces itself to work in "standard resolutions" listed in CRU. When I shut it down and quit to Windows desktop I have 240hz from detailed resolution again (information important for later)

But...
When I delete all "standard resolutions" that game finally works in detailed resolution and I get stable 240hz refresh rate - sadly, when I shutdown that game and quit to Windows desktop my refresh rate is somehow stuck to 88hz and I don't know from where it got that value - I didn't seen it anywhere in CRU.
Somehow launching and quitting some different games or executing "restart64.exe" reverts desktop refresh rate back to 240hz - until I launch and shutdown that problematic, mentioned before game again - it is messing up desktop refresh rate again.

I'm out of ideas how to get 240hz in that game without any issues.

Thanks.
03-21-2023, 02:12 PM
Hi i have problem i cant use any res or hz i have dell 3537 laptop intel hd 4400 and amd hd8600m GPU. Dell dont support 15.40 cpu driver i5 4200u how i can overclock my laptop with old driver icant understand old driver methot plz help me my english bad sorry.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-21-2023, 06:58 PM
Hi guys, this is the first time I've encountered this, the hz settings do not change, I can't overclock the monitor, is there really some kind of protection against this? Laptop asus rog scar g17 g732
03-23-2023, 06:31 PM
As of 03/23/23 CRU still does not work with latest driver 23.3.2 for 7000 series cards due to the lack of support from AMD for custom EDID's.
03-24-2023, 05:39 AM
(03-23-2023 06:31 PM)alexaedita Wrote:  As of 03/23/23 CRU still does not work with latest driver 23.3.2 for 7000 series cards due to the lack of support from AMD for custom EDID's.

Oh so thats why any res I want to create is red...
03-24-2023, 02:51 PM
(03-24-2023 05:39 AM)takla Wrote:  Oh so thats why any res I want to create is red...
No, that's not why.