Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-30-2013, 03:33 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(11-29-2013 05:06 PM)cllund78 Wrote:  When I opened CRU initially, my monitor's native resolution 2560x1600 is already displayed in the detailed resolutions. However, I cannot find this resolution on windows' resolution options or on CCC. The highest they both go is 1920x1600. I added another set of values for 2560x1600 and restarted the compute and still can't find this resolution (except now it appears twice on CRU). I'm sorry if I'm being stupid, but do you have any suggestions?
Make sure the monitor is connected to a dual-link DVI port. If your card has two DVI ports, try the other DVI port. AMD cards usually only have one dual-link DVI port.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2013, 03:53 AM
(11-28-2013 12:39 AM)beltet Wrote:  Just updated my windows from 7 to 8 and have problem with cru not keep the settings after a reboot.
I add for example 60, 96, 105, and 120. With 96 in the first line. But when I restart the computer 60hz is always on. I need to delete all values but one to get it to start with the custom refresh rate.
CRU can't control what refresh rate Windows starts with. Usually Windows uses the last set refresh rate. If that's not happening, try disabling fast boot. Sometimes people have issues with the fast boot feature in Windows 8, but that would only affect powering on, not restarts.

If the refresh rates aren't getting added, then that's an unusual problem. CRU works with Windows 8, and there shouldn't be any issues with your video card or monitor. Try ordering the refresh rates from highest to lowest.
11-30-2013, 04:11 AM
(11-27-2013 08:18 AM)madmanmarz Wrote:  Hi, noob here. I have an HP 23BW monitor (seems to be the same as the 23xi, which is confirmed at 75hz). I currently have an AMD 7850, soon to be an R9 270. What would be the easiest solution to overclock this thing the best way?

1 - I understand single link DVI and HDMI are limited, but is that still the case for a modern GPU with a good v1.4 HDMI cable?
2 - I understand that I can patch the drivers but I update my drivers a lot and would prefer not to have to patch them every time. Would I be best off going with a dual-link DVI cable?
3 - Also I have an HDMI to DVI cable and all the pins are filled so it appears to be dual link, same goes with an adapter I have laying around, any problems using one of those?
You don't need to patch the driver to get 75 Hz if you use the "LCD reduced" timing option.

1. Some monitor + GPU combinations can get past 165 MHz pixel clock with HDMI with the extension block enabled or by importing this extension block: https://www.monitortests.com/hdmi.dat
2. A dual-link DVI cable won't make a difference with a single-link DVI monitor.
3. HDMI-DVI cables/adapters are always single link. The extra pins are dummy pins.

(11-27-2013 08:18 AM)madmanmarz Wrote:  Update 1: meh I tried both the single link DVI and HDMI cable with the patch and I was unable to achieve more than 75hz. On another note I WAS able to achieve 75hz on both HDMI and single link DVI (tested with 3 ufo tests)!!! ya can't beat dem free hz!!!

Update 2: Looks like the patch killed my video playback! I reinstalled my drivers and had a fuzzy screen at 75hz using single link dvi. Tried with HDMI @ 75hz without the patch and all is OK. Any reason why my video playback was nerf'd with the patch?
The video issues are listed in the main post for the patcher. What player are you using?

Fuzzy screen at 75 Hz can happen if a single-link DVI monitor is connected to a dual-link DVI port and you pass the 165 MHz limit without the patch, so the video card sends a dual-link DVI signal that the monitor can't handle properly.
12-01-2013, 01:50 AM
(11-30-2013 03:53 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-28-2013 12:39 AM)beltet Wrote:  Just updated my windows from 7 to 8 and have problem with cru not keep the settings after a reboot.
I add for example 60, 96, 105, and 120. With 96 in the first line. But when I restart the computer 60hz is always on. I need to delete all values but one to get it to start with the custom refresh rate.
CRU can't control what refresh rate Windows starts with. Usually Windows uses the last set refresh rate. If that's not happening, try disabling fast boot. Sometimes people have issues with the fast boot feature in Windows 8, but that would only affect powering on, not restarts.

If the refresh rates aren't getting added, then that's an unusual problem. CRU works with Windows 8, and there shouldn't be any issues with your video card or monitor. Try ordering the refresh rates from highest to lowest.
The refresh rates are getting added, but I thought that you have to restart the computer if you want to use them in games?...(changing them in advance settings in screen resolution wouldn't be enough?...). They work flawless in chrome(ufotester).
I will test to set the refresh to 96hz(why haven't I tested that deliberately already Undecided) and restart to see what happends.

I tried to order in CRU, but dosen't work. Maybe you could sync the order to refresh rate in the settings? I understand that that maybe be problems with microsoft products...
Anyway... Thanks for the reply and I want to thank you for the app and the time you spent on these overclock things. And thanks for posting on OLforums aswell. It was a time ago I modded my screen and I saw you name and remebered what you did for this community. Will donate soon.
Sincerely
12-01-2013, 04:14 AM
(11-30-2013 04:11 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-27-2013 08:18 AM)madmanmarz Wrote:  Hi, noob here. I have an HP 23BW monitor (seems to be the same as the 23xi, which is confirmed at 75hz). I currently have an AMD 7850, soon to be an R9 270. What would be the easiest solution to overclock this thing the best way?

1 - I understand single link DVI and HDMI are limited, but is that still the case for a modern GPU with a good v1.4 HDMI cable?
2 - I understand that I can patch the drivers but I update my drivers a lot and would prefer not to have to patch them every time. Would I be best off going with a dual-link DVI cable?
3 - Also I have an HDMI to DVI cable and all the pins are filled so it appears to be dual link, same goes with an adapter I have laying around, any problems using one of those?
You don't need to patch the driver to get 75 Hz if you use the "LCD reduced" timing option.

1. Some monitor + GPU combinations can get past 165 MHz pixel clock with HDMI with the extension block enabled or by importing this extension block: https://www.monitortests.com/hdmi.dat
2. A dual-link DVI cable won't make a difference with a single-link DVI monitor.
3. HDMI-DVI cables/adapters are always single link. The extra pins are dummy pins.

(11-27-2013 08:18 AM)madmanmarz Wrote:  Update 1: meh I tried both the single link DVI and HDMI cable with the patch and I was unable to achieve more than 75hz. On another note I WAS able to achieve 75hz on both HDMI and single link DVI (tested with 3 ufo tests)!!! ya can't beat dem free hz!!!

Update 2: Looks like the patch killed my video playback! I reinstalled my drivers and had a fuzzy screen at 75hz using single link dvi. Tried with HDMI @ 75hz without the patch and all is OK. Any reason why my video playback was nerf'd with the patch?
The video issues are listed in the main post for the patcher. What player are you using?

Fuzzy screen at 75 Hz can happen if a single-link DVI monitor is connected to a dual-link DVI port and you pass the 165 MHz limit without the patch, so the video card sends a dual-link DVI signal that the monitor can't handle properly.

Thanks =)

I'm confused about the extension block thing. Can you point me in the right direction?
12-01-2013, 05:14 AM (Last edited: 12-01-2013, 05:20 AM by silaz)
I am having problems with my setup.

2 x GTX580s 3GBs -> hdmi-> 55" XBR-55X850A.

When I force 3840x2160@30hz, the TV accepts the signal, but reports it as 1080P. In doing so, its not mapping correctly and makes the resolution look horrible. I've tried via the Nvidia control panel and CRU. Is it possible that my GTX580s are truly limited to 2560x1600? I assumed it was more of bandwidth limit not an actual hard limit...

Any tips?
12-01-2013, 08:45 AM
(12-01-2013 01:50 AM)beltet Wrote:  The refresh rates are getting added, but I thought that you have to restart the computer if you want to use them in games?...(changing them in advance settings in screen resolution wouldn't be enough?...). They work flawless in chrome(ufotester).
No, you don't have to restart to change the refresh rate. Many games will use the refresh rate that you set in the screen resolution settings, and some games have a refresh rate option that you can set.

Some games will try to force 60 Hz no matter what, but those games often have frame rate limits or physics issues when running at higher refresh rates.
12-01-2013, 08:48 AM
(12-01-2013 04:14 AM)madmanmarz Wrote:  I'm confused about the extension block thing. Can you point me in the right direction?
If it works with the extension block enabled, then you don't have to worry about it. If that doesn't work, use the "Import" button to import that file. If that still doesn't work, then you'll have to use the patch to get past the 165 MHz pixel clock limit.
12-01-2013, 09:14 AM
(12-01-2013 05:14 AM)silaz Wrote:  When I force 3840x2160@30hz, the TV accepts the signal, but reports it as 1080P. In doing so, its not mapping correctly and makes the resolution look horrible. I've tried via the Nvidia control panel and CRU. Is it possible that my GTX580s are truly limited to 2560x1600? I assumed it was more of bandwidth limit not an actual hard limit...
If you use CRU, make sure GeForce Experience is not installed, and make sure 3840x2160 @ 30 Hz is defined as the first detailed resolution. To get around the 165 MHz pixel clock limit, try enabling the extension block and import this file: https://www.monitortests.com/hdmi.dat

If that doesn't work, try disabling the extension block and use this patch: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...ck-Patcher
12-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Hello Toasty! First off, thanks for making this awesome program! It's especially easy to use. I got some refresh rates to work with some of the timing adjustments I found in this thread. So far the highest I can get is 74hz without any obvious issues. Anything above 80hz won't even display. I get a black screen. The display I'm using is a Vizio 240hz 1080p telly. What I wanted to know is how one would determine the proper timing values for a given refresh rate/resolution and is there any way to get a higher refresh than 74hz? Thank you very much in advance for any help Smile