Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-07-2024, 12:06 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(03-05-2024 04:51 PM)jeffeh12133 Wrote:  so i set all the settings in CRU that i need, everything is fine. however i have one question; should i leave DDC/CI enabled or disabled in my monitor OSD? i notice a difference between on or off. could this interfere with custom EDID override settings?
DDC/CI is for controlling the monitor's settings such using a program, like you would through the monitor's menus. It doesn't affect anything related to the EDID.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2024, 12:07 AM
(03-02-2024 07:43 PM)boundedwum Wrote:  Basically I can force my dongle to show that it's native resolution is 1920x1200 @90hz. Because it also can technically do 4k@120hz, Windows I think adds that refresh rate to 1920x1200 at a driver level. If I select 1920x1200@120hz it shows desktop resolution at that but, active signal mode at 3840x2160@120hz.

This is mostly fine as I can just choose 1920x1200@90hz manually, however, some applications force the highest refresh rate at a selected resolution so I end up with the wrong active signal mode which buggers up colour, I can't use RGB Full, only 4:2:2 etc.

Also one other thing, when I cloned the EDID from my LG TV I edited it then flashed it to the dummy plug, but forgot to check Range limits with the "include if slot available button", will that have any effect?
Why would that affect custom resolutions in the control panel? With CRU, you can just add 1920x1200 @ 120 Hz to make it not scale. CRU automatically includes the range limits if needed, so it shouldn't matter.
03-07-2024, 12:08 AM
(03-02-2024 02:35 PM)Kriswastaken Wrote:  Hello ToastyX whenever I create a custom resolution there is a mirrored line down the middle of my monitor, can you help me?
the resolution im trying to get is 1720x1080 Im using the Odyssey G40B 240 hz monitor connected to nvidia rtx 3060 ti, also Im using it connected via DVI port I think, im not sure, all I know is that it is not hdmi
You posted this already. I said use GPU scaling. Why not just use SRE?
03-07-2024, 12:09 AM
(03-02-2024 12:56 AM)Dreamic Wrote:  Any idea what could be causing this?
4 second clip:
https://i.imgur.com/g1gWFBC.mp4
Horizontal white line flicker on OLED, seemingly only at 360Hz, regardless of HDMI or DP cable or port, VRR on or off. I can find various results of different monitors, TV's, QDOLED, WOLED, Dell/Alienware, LG, MSI, 27", 32", etc of this issue.
No real solutions or explanations, besides lowering refresh rate which isn't much of a solution imo. Also CRU seems to do nothing on this specific display.
That looks like a signal quality problem, but if it's not the cable, then either it's an internal problem with the monitor, a bug in the monitor's firmware, or a bug in the GPU's driver with regard to DSC. If CRU doesn't have any effect, that's a GPU driver bug.
03-07-2024, 05:01 AM
(03-07-2024 12:09 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-02-2024 12:56 AM)Dreamic Wrote:  Any idea what could be causing this?
4 second clip:
https://i.imgur.com/g1gWFBC.mp4
Horizontal white line flicker on OLED, seemingly only at 360Hz, regardless of HDMI or DP cable or port, VRR on or off. I can find various results of different monitors, TV's, QDOLED, WOLED, Dell/Alienware, LG, MSI, 27", 32", etc of this issue.
No real solutions or explanations, besides lowering refresh rate which isn't much of a solution imo. Also CRU seems to do nothing on this specific display.
That looks like a signal quality problem, but if it's not the cable, then either it's an internal problem with the monitor, a bug in the monitor's firmware, or a bug in the GPU's driver with regard to DSC. If CRU doesn't have any effect, that's a GPU driver bug.
Yea, this is the only display I've had where I can't get CRU working, at all, not a single change is listened to.
I've already amassed a list of like 15 people on Reddit who have commented in various places about having this issue with this monitor, and tagged MSI (even though the issue isn't exclusive to them, from what I've seen).
[Image: twxSkTM.png]
I've also been encouraging everyone to make a ticket about it, hopefully they can get to the bottom of it. I was wondering if Blurbusters was getting one of these 3660Hz QDOLEDs, as if he was able to replicate the issue he would probably have an easier time getting MSI to listen.

Regarding DSC, they already confirmed they're working on a toggle for upcoming firmware, so we'll see if that changes anything. However, the issue is already only present at 360Hz, not 240Hz (the next highest option), even though DSC is forced on at all refresh rates and resolutions currently.
And when DSC is able to be disabled in new firmware, you still won't be able to run 360Hz 2560x1440 at 10bit without it, even though the monitor does have a proper 48gbps HDMI 2.1.

Blurbusters also suspects firmware issue currently. It's definitely not cable, it could be Nvidia driver or DSC. Or Samsung really screwed something up.

Anyways, I've done about all I can do, with others also brainstorming and trying various things. All that can be done is to get MSI's attention and hope something comes of it, I pray they're able to reproduce it so it's like locked in to being investigated. They'll have an easier time contacting Nvidia, Microsoft, or Samsung if they need to...
03-07-2024, 11:06 AM (Last edited: 03-07-2024, 11:43 AM by leissler)
(03-07-2024 12:05 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-06-2024 09:46 PM)leissler Wrote:  Hi,
I have a setup with an Intel HD 530 card connected with DVI and an awkward LED matrix screen of 384x128px connected with HDMI.
From my experiments, an extended screen dual-monitor setup always seems to work on the LED matrix screen as a secondary monitor, when the "Active Signal Resolution" is 1920x1080@60Hz but the "Desktop Resolution" is the native resolution of 384x128.
For some time I had it running (!) by creating a Detailed Resolution of 1920x1080 and an extension block with HDMI support and a resolution of 384x128.
For some reason now, I can't repeat that success. Both (Active Signal and Desktop) are always 1920x1080, no matter what I put into the extension block. This drives me mad. Is there any obvious reason why this was once working and not any more? I've tried for hours now and will install Windows 11 anew.
This is extremely frustrating when you know that there is a woking configuration but you're just not able to recreate it.
Does Windows 11 generally interpret the Detailed Resolution as Active Signal Resolution and the resolution in the extension block as the Desktop resolution? How can I control these two resolutions separately from each other?
Would appreciate any help on this, before I consider jumping the window Wink
There's nothing different about resolutions in the extension block. You're talking about GPU scaling. CRU only deals with active signal resolutions, but lower resolutions can be scaled to the first detailed resolution if you enable GPU scaling in Intel's control panel. The problem is Windows doesn't provide a way to set the resolution below 640x480, so assuming the driver allows 384x128, you'll need a third-party program to actually set that resolution. I don't know how you did it before because that was always the case.

Hey, thanks for being so responsive in here!
My observation was clearly that in my extended-dual-monitor setup (with the 384x128 screen being the secondary) some of the resolutions in the "List All Modes" list were different in their Desktop and Signal resolutions. For example 640x480 showed me Desktop=640x480, Signal=1920x1080.
Now always when I had this combo (Signal=1920x1080 and Desktop=lower) the LED screen was showing something meaningful (albeit scaled and therefore squeezed). So my conclusion was (and is) that I somehow have to find a way for that screen to show Signal=1920x1080,Desktop=384x128.
By having CRU detailed resolution of 1920x1080 and an extension block of 384x128 I was then very happy to reliably get this config and the screen was pixel perfect.
So my conclusion was that Windows must be taking the detailed resolution as Active Signal and the extension block resolution as Desktop... or so I thought.

As soon as I tried the LED screen as the sole screen, I literally got bent over by windows and from that moment on it never worked again. Me sitting in the lab for hours trying to recreate this combo.
You are correct that I had to set the Scale to "Stretched" on the secondary screen in the Intel Graphics Command, which weirdly enough does not always show up as an option (sometimes it's just "Maintain Aspect Ratio" and "Custom").

So are you 100% sure that CRU only ever sets Windows "Active Signal Resolution" and not the "Desktop Resolution"? How can that be? Where else should the awkward "Desktop Resolution" of 384x128 come from other than my CRU extension block? And what made the Signal Resolution stay at 1920x1080?

What makes some resolutions (like 640x480) behave like this, keeping full HD Signal while only changing Desktop Resolution?
Sounds mysterious indeed.

The HDMI out of the Intel 530 ends in a Huidu A4 LED controller that controls 2 receiving cards (Huidu R712) that in turn control the LED panels. From POV of Windows, however, it just looks like a normal HDMI monitor.
03-07-2024, 02:53 PM
Forgive me nob question. There is possible to remove 144hz rrate from avaliavle in windows? iI want set 120hz as max.
03-07-2024, 03:37 PM
(03-07-2024 02:53 PM)LaPsiuta Wrote:  Forgive me nob question. There is possible to remove 144hz rrate from avaliavle in windows? iI want set 120hz as max.
Yes.
03-07-2024, 03:37 PM
(03-07-2024 11:06 AM)leissler Wrote:  So are you 100% sure that CRU only ever sets Windows "Active Signal Resolution" and not the "Desktop Resolution"? How can that be? Where else should the awkward "Desktop Resolution" of 384x128 come from other than my CRU extension block? And what made the Signal Resolution stay at 1920x1080?
If GPU scaling is enabled, the first detailed resolution is the active resolution, and lower resolutions are desktop resolutions. You can add 384x128 with CRU, but CRU only changes what resolutions are available. You still have to set the resolution in the Windows display settings somehow, but like I said, Windows doesn't provide a way to set resolutions lower than 640x480, so you have to use a third-party program to set the resolution. I know HotKey Resolution Changer can do it, but it doesn't support multiple monitors, so I'm not sure what it will do in your case. I checked EnTech's MultiRes, but it wouldn't list anything below 640x480.
03-07-2024, 04:11 PM
(03-07-2024 03:37 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-07-2024 11:06 AM)leissler Wrote:  So are you 100% sure that CRU only ever sets Windows "Active Signal Resolution" and not the "Desktop Resolution"? How can that be? Where else should the awkward "Desktop Resolution" of 384x128 come from other than my CRU extension block? And what made the Signal Resolution stay at 1920x1080?
If GPU scaling is enabled, the first detailed resolution is the active resolution, and lower resolutions are desktop resolutions. You can add 384x128 with CRU, but CRU only changes what resolutions are available. You still have to set the resolution in the Windows display settings somehow, but like I said, Windows doesn't provide a way to set resolutions lower than 640x480, so you have to use a third-party program to set the resolution. I know HotKey Resolution Changer can do it, but it doesn't support multiple monitors, so I'm not sure what it will do in your case. I checked EnTech's MultiRes, but it wouldn't list anything below 640x480.

When you say "GPU scaling enabled", how is this done for Intel HD 530? Do you mean that the "Stretch" option in the Intel Graphics Command Center (Display->Scale->Stretch)?

So interpreting your comment, in order to get what I need (Signal:1920x1080,Desktop:384x128) I would have to create a single Detailed Resolution of 1920x1080 and then (without extension block) simply a second Detailed Resolution of 384x128?
If I am then able to somehow set that 384x128 resolution, then it would use that only for Desktop and keep the full HD resolution for Signal?

Before I got to the point of playing with extension blocks, I did set the 384x128 resolution as the first detailed resolution, and many times (not always) it did show up in the Windows Display Settings. So it is somehow possible that lower (than 640x480) resolutions show up there. I feel that is not fully reliable, though, and I don't understand when.