help me here:
click here > PROJECTOR INPUT DELAY help tweak

thxHeartHeartHeartHeartBlush
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2024, 11:39 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hi ToastyX,

I've been using CRU for years and with a lot of success now I'm facing a problem with a mini pc I bought from a chinese company named GenMachine.

The mini pc uses a integrated vega 8 iGPU in a Ryzen 7 7730u SoC.

No matter what I do, from both hdmi ports all I can get is 4k 60hz 4:2:0 8 bits.
Tested on LG OLED C1 and C3.
Tested with a a Denon x4300 receiver.

Tried deleting the 4:2:0 compatibility map but this results in only 4k 30hz available.

The limited adrenaline drivers are a problem. Compared to Nvidia drivers, which I'm way more used to, those seem very poorly developed.
The custom resolution on AMD drivers won't actually let you try any resolution it feels like your display might not support.

So, is there any workaround this? I don't know why this is so restrictive. If I could get 4k 60hz RGB /YCbCr 4:4:4 I would be happy to keep it.

No need to try 4k 120hz.

And as a bonus I tried a USB-C -> HDMI adapter and got as far as 4k 100hz 4:2:2 but this adapter will not let surround sound to be passed over so it's a no go for me.
06-20-2024, 11:59 PM
(06-20-2024 11:39 PM)fandangos Wrote:  I've been using CRU for years and with a lot of success now I'm facing a problem with a mini pc I bought from a chinese company named GenMachine.

The mini pc uses a integrated vega 8 iGPU in a Ryzen 7 7730u SoC.

No matter what I do, from both hdmi ports all I can get is 4k 60hz 4:2:0 8 bits.
Tested on LG OLED C1 and C3.
Tested with a a Denon x4300 receiver.
That means it doesn't support HDMI 2.0. USB-C to HDMI would be the only option.
06-21-2024, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the quick, reply Toasty.

I think I'll return it then.
06-22-2024, 09:17 AM
Hi ToastyX,

I followed a tutorial that suggested using CRU and SRE to delete some unused resolutions that were causing mouse freezing issues. Strangely, it seems to have worked.
The problem is that yesterday I tried to use the HDMI port of my laptop, that has a RTX 3060, and it did not work. Tried with other cables and monitors, nothing.
I tought it was my edits and tried to boot Ubuntu, no solution. Then I decided to format the PC, and I still got nothing.
The port was working ~1 month ago.

Can anything done wrong with CRU or SRE cause some sort of failure of the HDMI port that woul survive a system format?

Ah, I generally use my laptop with a USB-C -> DP cable, that one still works nice.
06-22-2024, 04:43 PM
(06-22-2024 09:17 AM)hofer Wrote:  Can anything done wrong with CRU or SRE cause some sort of failure of the HDMI port that woul survive a system format?
No, CRU and SRE would only take effect while Windows is running, and the driver wouldn't allow anything that the GPU couldn't handle.
06-23-2024, 01:45 AM
(06-22-2024 04:43 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-22-2024 09:17 AM)hofer Wrote:  Can anything done wrong with CRU or SRE cause some sort of failure of the HDMI port that woul survive a system format?
No, CRU and SRE would only take effect while Windows is running, and the driver wouldn't allow anything that the GPU couldn't handle.

Thank you very much for the reply ToastyX.

Anyway, If anybody lands on my question searching for this problem in Google.
I fixed it by uninstalling all Nvidia drivers and installing a driver from 2021, HDMI started working in the spot. Then I installed new drivers again and it is working with new drivers.

I have no idea how that driver problem survived a system reinstall, but, well, thats what I have experienced.
My laptop is a Dell G15 5515 (Ryzen Edition).
06-23-2024, 01:06 PM
Hi,

I was previously using nvidia control panel to add custom resolution of 4k@90Hz to 3 identical monitors....not sure what's happened, but I've now noticed that whenever a game goes "full screen", it doesn't use the custom res anymore, instead it switches to 4k@98Hz. Also in the nvidia control panel, it lists the 90hz for one of the monitors under the normal PC resolutions, but for the other 2 it only lists 90hz a separate "custom" section resolution. If I go back in to the one which is listed under the PC resolutions section, edit it again, even without changing anything, it then moves it to the "custom" section, but the same problem exists....it switches to 98Hz when it goes to a full screen game.

If I use CRU to make a custom res 4k@90hz, will it appear in the normal pc resolutions section and will this likely cure my problem? Will it stay that way until I remove it, or does it reset when the PC is switched off?

The monitors are PHILIPS 329M1RV (yes, I know, bad choice....I should probably have just bought an ultrawide monitor like the g9 neo dual UHD or something, but I got it into my head that the ambiglow would look good, like on our TV downstairs.....in fact it's so lagged that it's basically pointless).....the other issue I have had since day 1 is that I can not use the variable refresh rate because they are not official gsync, only freesync premium....when I try enabling gsync, I get random black screen for a few seconds in the middle of gaming.....is there any way around this problem?

They are 144Hz monitors, but I usually leave them on 120Hz because that seems like an acceptable frame rate, and also means DSC isn't active so I don't get the black screen when tabbing out of games either.

90Hz is what I would like to set it to though, as this is better for flight sim where I can set vsync to 33% in game giving a solid smooth 30fps. Also, if I want to use nvidia surround in other games, 90fps is basically all that's realistically achievable for a triple 4k setup, and even that is pushing it a bit (even with my 14900k and 4090 lol).

Can CRU help solve these issues, or is there a simpler way (other than selling these monitors and getting something better)?
06-23-2024, 04:30 PM
(06-23-2024 01:06 PM)GlennyPlaysStuff Wrote:  I was previously using nvidia control panel to add custom resolution of 4k@90Hz to 3 identical monitors....not sure what's happened, but I've now noticed that whenever a game goes "full screen", it doesn't use the custom res anymore, instead it switches to 4k@98Hz. Also in the nvidia control panel, it lists the 90hz for one of the monitors under the normal PC resolutions, but for the other 2 it only lists 90hz a separate "custom" section resolution. If I go back in to the one which is listed under the PC resolutions section, edit it again, even without changing anything, it then moves it to the "custom" section, but the same problem exists....it switches to 98Hz when it goes to a full screen game.
Where is 98 Hz coming from? Is 98 Hz one of the default refresh rates listed in the Windows display settings or NVIDIA control panel or did you add it? Where are you seeing the refresh rate reported as 98 Hz?

(06-23-2024 01:06 PM)GlennyPlaysStuff Wrote:  If I use CRU to make a custom res 4k@90hz, will it appear in the normal pc resolutions section and will this likely cure my problem? Will it stay that way until I remove it, or does it reset when the PC is switched off?
It will be listed under PC resolutions, but where it's listed in the NVIDIA control panel shouldn't matter. CRU changes stay in effect until removed. Also NVIDIA's driver currently has a bug that causes it to ignore all changes with DSC monitors, so I don't know if CRU will have any effect. You will have to try it and see what happens.

(06-23-2024 01:06 PM)GlennyPlaysStuff Wrote:  The monitors are PHILIPS 329M1RV (yes, I know, bad choice....I should probably have just bought an ultrawide monitor like the g9 neo dual UHD or something, but I got it into my head that the ambiglow would look good, like on our TV downstairs.....in fact it's so lagged that it's basically pointless).....the other issue I have had since day 1 is that I can not use the variable refresh rate because they are not official gsync, only freesync premium....when I try enabling gsync, I get random black screen for a few seconds in the middle of gaming.....is there any way around this problem?
That depends on why it's happening. If it's a signal quality problem, a better cable might help. If it's some sort of bandwidth issue, reducing the refresh rate, color depth, or color format might help. If the monitor is not handling fluctuations correctly, increasing the minimum FreeSync range and reducing the refresh rate or capping the frame rate below the refresh rate might help. Normally though you shouldn't have to do any workarounds, so if it's not a signal quality issue, then it might be a design flaw in the monitor or an incompatibility with the way NVIDIA handles variable refresh rates.
06-23-2024, 05:43 PM (Last edited: 06-23-2024, 06:41 PM by GlennyPlaysStuff)
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the 98hz is a default listed option. The 98hz is evident by the fact that vsync is capping games at 98fps, but also if I open the monitors osd it shows as 90hz until I open a full screen game, then the screen blacks out for a second and it switches to 98hz.

If I keep it on 98hz or 120hz, this is not the case, it just stays at whichever refresh rate, without blacking out.

If I set 144hz, I get black screen for a second when I enter/ exit full screen.

I will try to set a custom res at 90hz in cru and see what happens.

As for the gsync issue, I did try with different cables, and reducing the data rate by using 422, and even reducing refresh rate down to 60hz.... with gsync enabled, I get random black screens during use. So I'm guessing it must just be not gsync compatible at all?

If it were just something to do with timings or settings, where would I even start with making adjustments to test? I'm thinking I should probably just accept that I need normal vsync only for these monitors though, at least with my nvidia gpu.

No dice in afraid.

In cru, if I try and set anything above 74hz at 3840x2160, it just turns red. If I tick interlaced I can go higher.... but those resolutions/ refresh rates are not added or selectable anywhere so far as I can tell.