Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
02-11-2014, 01:06 PM (Last edited: 02-11-2014, 02:28 PM by hannes69)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Quote:It will give you the pixel clock and horizontal/vertical totals necessary to match a refresh rate. Keep in mind that calculated values might not match actual values because of hardware variance, so I don't know how close you can get.
Wow, that´s it what I was asking for...Shy
In the meantime I played around manually with CRU. It cost me several hours to get accurate enough settings for 25 and 23.976fps movies (the ones I need mostly). Most of the time was spent for the reboots. I discovered now that you have implemented a restarter, if that works it will save a lot of time. Will test that.
It was a lot of trial and error because the resulting refresh rate of CRU doesn´t match the actual value, the deviation is maximum +/-0.003Hz.
For watching longer movies four decimal places of the refresh rate are necessary. Madvr renderer shows the clock deviation of the video and audio clock, eg. in my setup -72.7ppm. So for watching a 25fps movie I need 50*(1-72.7/1000000)= 49.996365 Hz. So if I take a setting in CRU with 49.996Hz I get something between 49.993 and 49.999Hz. I had the luck to get the right settings for 23.976 and 25fps movies.
So I can say that it is possible to get accurate enough settings for movie playback by using CRU, no need for Powerstrip,Reclock or madvr smoothmotion, so the perfect solution without "bending" audio or video.
I can now use the displayswitcher option of madvr and it works great!

Quote:There's also no way to have separate refresh rates for 23.976 Hz and 24 Hz with EDID overrides because both would be listed as 24 Hz. You'd have to use 48 Hz or 72 Hz if the projector can handle those, or you'd have to use a different resolution (make sure GPU scaling is disabled if you do that).
Yeah, I saw this kind of problem in a similar way: First of all I deleted all the given presets for my projector. Then I added 2 detailed resolutions with CRU for 23.976 and 25fps movie framerate (the movie framerate x2 as refresh rate because my projector only accepts refresh rates in the 30-60Hz region.). So I added 47.949Hz and 49.996Hz detailed resolutions. Now I have in Windows 3 selectable refresh rates though creating 2 by CRU. You can figure out what I get: 47, 48, 50 Hz.
So probably thereßs no way to implement 23.976 and 24.000Hz side by side. Not so bad because movies with 24.000 are rare comparing to the number of 23.976.

I hope CRU works with all current AMD GPUs, my next will probably be a R7 250 replacing my old HD4550.
Nice work you have done here ToastyX, thanks for the provided links, so it will be a much easier and faster workflow with my next GPU.
If CRU will work with my new GPU flawlessly, a donation is obligatory for me of course.
Many thanks,
Hannes
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2014, 11:42 AM
I want to run Dell P2414h 1080p @ 75Hz by VGA/DVI?
Previously I have run P2414h 1080p @ 75Hz on R9 270X + DP but its worked not stable If I run skype or youtube...
I was sold R9 270X and works on Intel HD4000

Which of these items is the best (VGA/DVI):
  • GeForce 210
  • HD 4550
  • HD 5450
  • HD 6450
  • GT610

2 hannes69
Did you run 75Hz on your old HD4550?
02-12-2014, 01:59 PM (Last edited: 02-12-2014, 02:00 PM by hannes69)
@Onore
Quote:Did you run 75Hz on your old HD4550?
My projector is 720p and it only supports refresh rates in the 30Hz - 60Hz region, so I´m using refresh rates of 47.952, 48.000, 50.000 and 59.940 Hz for judderfree playback of movies with the according framerates. I tested to let the projector downscale a 1080p movie to its native 720p resolution via HDMI connection and the GPU could do that, this was at a refresh rate of 50 or 60Hz, don´t remember exactly.
If it is possible to output 1080p @ 75 Hz I don´t know. It´s a rather old GPU, I will replace it with a more recent one e.g. a R7 250 because I use madVR renderer with heavy processing, the HD4550 is on its edge.
A R7 250 is available with passive cooling and draws maximum 65W, should be ok.

@ToastyX
Once again thanks for the provided links, I tested yesterday the calculator. It gives me around 10 resolutions for a given refresh rate, minimum one of these is accurate enough. And the driver restarter in 64bit works as well! So the workflow is much faster for me. With my new GPU which I will order these weeks I surely will find the right settings within one day. Superb!
Remark: I have made some interesting observations: The refresh rate is not always EXACT the same, it varies a little bit after a fresh booted machine. And the clock deviation of audio and video clock differs as well, it seems to be dependant on temperature. When booting the cold computer I have a deviation of the reference clocks of 82ppm, after 2 hours the value drops to 72ppm. So I take a resolution with a corresponding refresh rate just in the middle of the borderline values and it should be ok. If the thermal drift would be higher it wouldn´t be possible to set an accurate enough refresh rate...
Many thanks, your tools are really helpful for me, the CRU utility, the calculator and the restarter.
Hannes.
02-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Code:
[quote='ToastyX' pid='1' dateline='1347051985']
Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) allows custom resolutions to be defined for both AMD/ATI and NVIDIA GPUs by creating EDID overrides directly in the registry without having to deal with inf files.

http://www.monitortests.com/cru-1.1.zip

If you find this software useful, [url=https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=YWGC5S7KA2F3S&lc=US&item_name=Donation&amount=5%2e00&currency_code=USD&button_subtype=services&no_note=0&cn=Comments%3a&no_shipping=1&undefined_quantity=1&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF%3abtn_buynowCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHosted]donations are welcome[/url].

[size=medium][b]Requirements:[/b][/size]
[list]
[*]Windows Vista or later
[*]AMD/ATI or NVIDIA GPU
[list]
[*]Intel's graphics driver does not support EDID overrides
[*]Laptops with switchable graphics are not supported
[/list]
[/list]
[b]Note for NVIDIA users:[/b] GeForce Experience is known to cause issues with EDID overrides such as resolutions being listed in the NVIDIA control panel but not in the Windows screen resolution settings. Either uninstall GeForce Experience, or enable the extension block and import this file: [url=http://www.monitortests.com/blank-extension.dat]blank-extension.dat[/url]

[size=medium][b]Quick start:[/b][/size]
[list=1]
[*]Choose a display from the drop-down list.
[list]
[*]"(active)" means the display is connected and the configuration is active.
[*]"*" means changes were saved and an override is in effect.
[/list]
[*]Edit the configuration as desired.
[list]
[*]The first detailed resolution is considered the preferred or native resolution. To make games use a higher refresh rate, define it as the first detailed resolution.
[*]At least one detailed resolution should be defined. All other resolutions can be removed if they are not needed.
[*]NVIDIA users must either uncheck "Include extension block" or import a custom extension block for custom resolutions to work.
[/list]
[*]Repeat steps 1-2 for other displays if required.
[list]
[*]The "Copy" and "Paste" buttons can be used to copy all the resolutions from one display to another.
[/list]
[*]Click "OK" to save the changes.
[*]Reboot, or try the experimental driver restarter: [url=http://www.monitortests.com/restart.zip]restart.zip[/url]
[/list]To reset a display back to the default configuration, use the "Delete" button at the top and reboot. To reset all displays, run reset-all.exe and reboot. This can be done in safe mode if necessary.

[size=medium][b]Notes:[/b][/size]
[list]
[*]This program adds monitor resolutions, not scaled resolutions. Lower resolutions will be scaled up if GPU scaling is enabled, but higher resolutions won't be scaled down by the GPU. Higher resolutions will only work if the monitor can handle them.
[/list]

[list]
[*]Timing modes for detailed resolutions:
[list]
[*]"Manual" allows the timing parameters to be set manually. The dialog will always open in this mode.
[*]"Automatic - LCD standard" (formerly "Automatic - Best for LCD") uses timing parameters commonly used with LCD monitors and HDTVs.
[*]"Automatic - LCD reduced" adjusts the timing parameters for certain resolutions to reduce the pixel clock. This may help when trying higher refresh rates.
[*]"Automatic - CRT standard" uses timing parameters compatible with CRT monitors.
[/list]
[/list]

[list]
[*]Single-link DVI and HDMI are limited to 165 MHz pixel clock unless the video driver is patched:
[list]
[*][url=http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher]AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher[/url]
[*][url=http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-NVIDIA-Pixel-Clock-Patcher]NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher[/url]
[/list]
[/list]

[list]
[*]Some monitor/GPU combinations can bypass the 165 MHz HDMI limit without patching the driver by enabling the extension block and importing one of these files:
[list]
[*][url=http://www.monitortests.com/hdmi.dat]hdmi.dat[/url] (HDMI support only)
[*][url=http://www.monitortests.com/hdmi-audio.dat]hdmi-audio.dat[/url] (HDMI support with basic audio)
[/list]
[/list]

[list]
[*]For basic audio support, enable the extension block and import one of these files:
[list]
[*][url=http://www.monitortests.com/hdmi-audio.dat]hdmi-audio.dat[/url] (HDMI basic audio)
[*][url=http://www.monitortests.com/displayport-audio.dat]displayport-audio.dat[/url] (DisplayPort basic audio)
[/list]
[/list]
[size=medium][b]Changes in 1.1:[/b][/size]
[list]
[*]Import extension block from files (editing coming later)
[*]Automatically fill in likely native resolution when adding a detailed resolution
[*]Disable controls when deleting a display
[/list][size=medium][b]Changes in 1.0.1:[/b][/size]
[list]
[*]Fixed INF export
[*]Added support for non-PnP displays
[*]Changed display list sorting
[/list]
[/quote]

Hi ToastyX,
I just registered on the site to thank you for your great work on this tool and to ask you something:
I have a dual monitor setup (well, actually the 2nd "monitor" is an HDTV which I use to watch movies videos etc and the HDMI goes through my AVR to decode the sound)
So I obviously need the audio coming from the HDMI output of my GFX card.
Using CRU removes the option to do this (I'm guessing because it's an Nvidia card and I had to uncheck the block extensions thingymadingy...)
I've read the thread and there appears to be a way to solve this.... Could you elaborate on that please?
I think I understand something about using a custom extension block or something?
Thanks in advance and keep up the good work.
02-13-2014, 03:25 AM
(02-10-2014 11:08 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 07:54 PM)lynx74 Wrote:  I created a script in order to don't have to reboot your computer.

I already have a driver restarter that I posted several pages back:

(12-16-2013 09:13 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  I have a driver restarter program, but I didn't release it yet because restarting the driver has several side effects like windows moving around, overclocks resetting, desktops sometimes not refreshing correctly, and other weird issues. There are also complications like 32-bit programs can only restart 32-bit drivers, so I need a separate executable for 64-bit systems.

You can try it here: https://www.monitortests.com/restart.zip

I just updated it and added it to the main post. It will eventually be included with the CRU package. Your script uses Microsoft's devcon.exe, which isn't redistributable.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, you are right, it is not redistributable. Only the batch file can be shared and the other part at miscrosoft.
I tried your tool but sometimes it changes the output pixel format of ATI drivers. I don't know why.
02-13-2014, 06:43 PM (Last edited: 02-13-2014, 06:45 PM by jobby)
I found out that my monitor goes "out of range" at 74Hz, so I suppose that's its limit. At 73Hz it's fine, though, with no skipped frames.

I tried these two settings:
[Image: Kext2Gk.png]
"Manual" (default) on the left and "Automatic - LCD standard" on the right.

The manual setting works fine, but with the LCD standard I get artifacts, kinda similar to the "snow" on analog TVs, mostly around edges:
[Image: jYvcfH4.jpg]

I also tried some random in-between values and got in-between amount of artifacts.
And the last "Automatic - LCD standard" frequency without artifacts is 68Hz.

Since I'm clueless about those CRU settings (porch, sync width...):
Besides the evident artifacts, do those settings affect anything visually?
Are some better than others in some aspect, should I look for the artifact-less limit?
02-13-2014, 08:52 PM (Last edited: 02-13-2014, 08:54 PM by bossturbo)
I've been trying to get my video card to output 3840x2160 to my Seiki SE39UY04. I have run the CRU and unchecked "include extension block". Also ran Nvidia pixel clock patcher, but still no option of anything over 1080p in windows or nvidia control panel. Making custom res of 3840x2160 says monitor does not support that res. Here are the details:

Video Card: GeForce 6200 AGP w/ 512MB ram (yes, it's old Sleepy)
Nvidia driver version: 307.83
Connection: (single link) DVI to HDMI cable. The card also has an analog RGB port, if that's any better.

Any ideas of what I can do different?
02-13-2014, 09:39 PM
(02-13-2014 08:52 PM)bossturbo Wrote:  I've been trying to get my video card to output 3840x2160 to my Seiki SE39UY04. I have run the CRU and unchecked "include extension block". Also ran Nvidia pixel clock patcher, but still no option of anything over 1080p in windows or nvidia control panel. Making custom res of 3840x2160 says monitor does not support that res. Here are the details:

Video Card: GeForce 6200 AGP w/ 512MB ram (yes, it's old Sleepy)
Nvidia driver version: 307.83
Connection: (single link) DVI to HDMI cable. The card also has an analog RGB port, if that's any better.

Any ideas of what I can do different?
That video card is too old to handle 3840x2160 @ 30 Hz with HDMI. It might work with VGA.
02-13-2014, 09:44 PM
(02-13-2014 06:43 PM)jobby Wrote:  I found out that my monitor goes "out of range" at 74Hz, so I suppose that's its limit. At 73Hz it's fine, though, with no skipped frames.

I tried these two settings:

"Manual" (default) on the left and "Automatic - LCD standard" on the right.

The manual setting works fine, but with the LCD standard I get artifacts, kinda similar to the "snow" on analog TVs, mostly around edges
I've seen snow like that with certain monitors when the monitor can't handle the refresh rate or the timing parameters. Have you tried the "LCD reduced" timing option? It's meant to help in cases like this. Even if 75 Hz doesn't work, sometimes 76-77 Hz will work.

The settings on the left are just the standard timing parameters for 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz. With one particular monitor, I found setting the vertical total to 1100 allowed it to work at 83 Hz with DisplayPort.

The timing parameters don't affect the image with LCD monitors, but they can affect positioning with CRT monitors. Just use whatever works. The only issue is AMD video cards won't reduce the memory clock when idle if the vertical total is below standard, but I don't know if that applies to older cards with GDDR3 memory. Horizontal values usually work with multiples of 8, so you don't need to test every possibility.
02-13-2014, 09:48 PM
(02-12-2014 03:24 PM)sideskroll Wrote:  I have a dual monitor setup (well, actually the 2nd "monitor" is an HDTV which I use to watch movies videos etc and the HDMI goes through my AVR to decode the sound)
So I obviously need the audio coming from the HDMI output of my GFX card.
Using CRU removes the option to do this (I'm guessing because it's an Nvidia card and I had to uncheck the block extensions thingymadingy...)
I've read the thread and there appears to be a way to solve this.... Could you elaborate on that please?
I think I understand something about using a custom extension block or something?
You can enable the extension block if you import a custom one. For basic stereo audio, enable the extension block and import this file: hdmi-audio.dat

If you need 5.1 or 7.1 surround or support for other audio formats, that gets a bit complicated because I need to know what your AVR supports.