Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-01-2014, 01:59 AM (Last edited: 08-01-2014, 02:20 AM by mikey32230)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hi i have 1 PC and 2 monitors (1 Dell E173fp) and (1 Sony Wega TV/Monitor).

I have a VGA switch that was supposed to support DDC but whenever i hook up the monitors to it, windows defaults the monitors to generic non-pnp monitors. Thus the resolutions are bad. I'm looking for a way to get around this by forcing EDID info for each monitor everytime i manually use the VGA switch.

Is this something your program can help with. i'm trying to mess around with it now. Have any ideas?

So this program is able to export .ini files and .dat files but moninfo.exe says they are invalid edid files.. probably because they arnt trying to be edid files. I was going to try to replace the generic non-pnp driver with a .ini files created by this program but i guess thats no what its for. I'm stumped on what to do.

Here is the switch i'm trying to use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DRGDDX0/?tag=mtests-20#ad
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2014, 06:55 PM
(07-30-2014 08:13 AM)bones Wrote:  Hello, I bought Benq GW2760 yesterday and tried to overclock it to 72Hz through Nvidia drivers and through CRU. Tried automatic, standard, reduced, but it won't work on 72Hz properly. I get a small amount of pixel-size artifacts. Best I could get was 70Hz on automatic. I applied your Nvidia driver tweak prior to overclocking. Do you have any custom timings I could try to get to the 72Hz?
I don't know what timing parameters your monitor can handle. Try reducing the horizontal front porch and sync width to 8, and reduce the horizontal total to 1944.

In CRU, it would look like this:

H: 1920 8 8 8 24 1944
V: 1080 3 5 5 13 1093

If the monitor won't display that, try increasing the horizontal total to 1952. If it still won't display anything, then try increasing the horizontal sync width to 16.

H: 1920 8 16 8 32 1952

If it still won't display anything, try increasing the horizontal total to 1960.

H: 1920 8 16 16 40 1960

I would just keep increasing the horizontal values by 8 until I find the lowest values that the monitor will accept. If the monitor displays a picture but still has artifacts with reduced values, it might not be able to handle 72 Hz. You can also try increasing the vertical total just in case it can't handle 1093.
08-02-2014, 07:11 PM
(07-31-2014 06:09 PM)Dx1 Wrote:  I am using the following settings.
1920 x 1080 @ 72 hz (178.20 Mhz).

Include extension block is enabled by default

I have a samsung s27D390 and an AMD 7970.

This is working fine whitout frame skipping or artifacts.

However although the pixel clock is higher than 165hz I did not patch the pixel clock or imported a file.

Am I bypassing the 165hz clock or is my 178 Mhz scaled down to 165 Mhz and is it better to patch?
If the monitor is connected using HDMI and you can select the refresh rate in Windows, then it's working.

AMD 7000-series and newer cards will allow past 165 MHz pixel clock with HDMI if the extension block is enabled and the monitor's extension block contains HDMI support with the TMDS limit set higher than 165 MHz. If the limit is set to 165 MHz, you can override it by importing one of the hdmi.dat files. The patch is only needed with HDMI if that doesn't work.
08-02-2014, 07:19 PM
(08-01-2014 01:59 AM)mikey32230 Wrote:  Hi i have 1 PC and 2 monitors (1 Dell E173fp) and (1 Sony Wega TV/Monitor).

I have a VGA switch that was supposed to support DDC but whenever i hook up the monitors to it, windows defaults the monitors to generic non-pnp monitors. Thus the resolutions are bad. I'm looking for a way to get around this by forcing EDID info for each monitor everytime i manually use the VGA switch.

Is this something your program can help with. i'm trying to mess around with it now. Have any ideas?
CRU can override the EDID for non-PnP monitors. Just add the resolutions you want, and click OK to save them. They should be available after rebooting.

(08-01-2014 01:59 AM)mikey32230 Wrote:  So this program is able to export .ini files and .dat files but moninfo.exe says they are invalid edid files.. probably because they arnt trying to be edid files. I was going to try to replace the generic non-pnp driver with a .ini files created by this program but i guess thats no what its for. I'm stumped on what to do.
You shouldn't need to export anything. You can export an INF file and install it using the Device Manager if you want to change the monitor name, but that's not necessary for the EDID override to work. If you want to export the EDID for moninfo.exe to read, export it as a .bin file.
08-02-2014, 10:08 PM
(08-02-2014 06:55 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I don't know what timing parameters your monitor can handle. Try reducing the horizontal front porch and sync width to 8, and reduce the horizontal total to 1944.

In CRU, it would look like this:

H: 1920 8 8 8 24 1944

If the monitor won't display that, try increasing the horizontal total to 1952. If it still won't display anything, then try increasing the horizontal sync width to 16.

H: 1920 8 16 8 32 1952

If it still won't display anything, try increasing the horizontal total to 1960.

H: 1920 8 16 16 40 1960

I would just keep increasing the horizontal values by 8 until I find the lowest values that the monitor will accept. If the monitor displays a picture but still has artifacts with reduced values, it might not be able to handle 72 Hz. You can also try increasing the vertical total just in case it can't handle 1093.
Tried 1st parameters - no picture, 2nd - picture with artifacts. Seems my panel just can't run 72 Hz. =(
But it runs 69 Hz on automatic parameters with 17 MHz higher pixel clock, so I don't understand. I guess it's not only about pixel clock, but some other limits too.
Nevertheless, thanks for your help, and for CRU. =)
08-03-2014, 10:00 PM
(08-02-2014 07:19 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 01:59 AM)mikey32230 Wrote:  Hi i have 1 PC and 2 monitors (1 Dell E173fp) and (1 Sony Wega TV/Monitor).

CRU can override the EDID for non-PnP monitors. Just add the resolutions you want, and click OK to save them. They should be available after rebooting.

(08-01-2014 01:59 AM)mikey32230 Wrote:  So this program is able to export .ini files and .dat files but moninfo.exe says they are invalid edid files.. probably because they arnt trying to be edid files. I was going to try to replace the generic non-pnp driver with a .ini files created by this program but i guess thats no what its for. I'm stumped on what to do.
You shouldn't need to export anything. You can export an INF file and install it using the Device Manager if you want to change the monitor name, but that's not necessary for the EDID override to work. If you want to export the EDID for moninfo.exe to read, export it as a .bin file.

Thank you for the reply. I'm don't know to much about all this but, i'm sort of stuck. I have a 1 dell Monitor, 1 sony tv, and 1 vga switch. When i plug both monitors into the switch my pc will only recognize 1 monitor (because its a switch). However, it changes it to a generic non-pnp monitor (maybe because this switch is faulty, it says it supposed to support ddc, but it seems to not pass along any edid info or anything).

Anyways, since this switch only allows the computer to see 1 monitor at a time, both are categorized as the same generic non-pnp monitor. When i switch between monitors, the computer continues to think that the same generic non-pnp monitor is there. Thus no resolution changes occur between switching.

I'm stuck because even if i did force a resolution for my dell monitor to stop it from being a generic non-pnp monitor, then when i switch to the sony tv, the resolution will stay at whatever the dell monitor is set to because the computer thinks its that same monitor.

Any suggestions? i'll try to get a replacement switch, to see if this one is just faulty, but i think this is just how it is. This is what im using: http://tinyurl.com/k98d4vl

This is the only vga switch, reasonably priced. Any help at all i would appreciate if you know of anything.

Thanks!
08-03-2014, 11:39 PM
(08-03-2014 10:00 PM)mikey32230 Wrote:  Anyways, since this switch only allows the computer to see 1 monitor at a time, both are categorized as the same generic non-pnp monitor. When i switch between monitors, the computer continues to think that the same generic non-pnp monitor is there. Thus no resolution changes occur between switching.

I'm stuck because even if i did force a resolution for my dell monitor to stop it from being a generic non-pnp monitor, then when i switch to the sony tv, the resolution will stay at whatever the dell monitor is set to because the computer thinks its that same monitor.
Without DDC, both monitors will be treated as the same monitor. You can still add the resolutions for both monitors, then switch the resolution manually before you switch the monitor. You can also use keyboard shortcuts to change the resolution: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17604/cha...-shortcut/

(08-03-2014 10:00 PM)mikey32230 Wrote:  Any suggestions? i'll try to get a replacement switch, to see if this one is just faulty, but i think this is just how it is. This is what im using: http://tinyurl.com/k98d4vl

This is the only vga switch, reasonably priced. Any help at all i would appreciate if you know of anything.
If the switch really does support DDC, then it could be a problem with the cables. Make sure the cables have all 15 pins. Older cables don't have the pin needed for DDC, and some cheap cables might have dummy pins that aren't connected. If the monitor is detected properly without the switch, then the problem is probably the switch.
08-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) guide
Hi

is there an advanced guide somewhere available?

Because when I try:

- higher hz than 60hz at 1920x1080p on my monitor, I have only noisy and unstable screens

- on my projector, I get noisy and unstable screens when trying lower hz than 25hz (my target is to fit 24p) at 1920x1080i (540p interlaced).

I want to try to set different values in manual mode, so I wonder if there's a way to get the knowledge on how to set manual values WITHOUT LITTERALLY TOAST MY MONITOR AND PROJECTOR! Smile

Cheers, Lorenzo
08-10-2014, 01:03 PM
(08-10-2014 12:40 PM)lureb74 Wrote:  Hi

is there an advanced guide somewhere available?

Because when I try:

- higher hz than 60hz at 1920x1080p on my monitor, I have only noisy and unstable screens

- on my projector, I get noisy and unstable screens when trying lower hz than 25hz (my target is to fit 24p) at 1920x1080i (540p interlaced).

I want to try to set different values in manual mode, so I wonder if there's a way to get the knowledge on how to set manual values WITHOUT LITTERALLY TOAST MY MONITOR AND PROJECTOR! Smile

Cheers, Lorenzo

Your monitors video output will become unstable when you force it to a higher fps or higher resolution than your monitor can support.

You can manually go through and force resolutions, it shouldn't cause any real damage if you aren't leaving your monitor at unsupported resolutions/fps.
I would look up your monitors native resolutions, and stay within that range, there is no reason to force it to something it doesn't support or can't display.
08-11-2014, 01:19 AM
I had been searching for weeks on the solution to my problem. Nvidia + HDTV = chaos. In the Control Panel it uses the "HDTV" connector as opposed to "DVI," which would give me a clear image. My temporary solution was to just disable the nvidia driver on my computer, which worked, but then I got weird issues--my computer wouldn't go to sleep, for example. So this software SAVED MY LIFE. I'm now using my nvidia driver and this software somehow makes the control panel detect my TV as a DVI connection and doesn't run image processing anymore. Yay!

I only have one question. Every time I restart the PC, I get the processed image again and need to go to the control panel and apply the resolution manually. Is there a way to automate that?