Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-28-2014, 04:40 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(11-28-2014 04:14 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-28-2014 03:21 AM)LTC Wrote:  Thanks for your answer ToastyX, but you see, my monitor already has correct EDID information as with Windows XP and prior machines it's modes are detected correctly on boot without any fuss!

It's only from Vista onwards that I started to need to install the monitor .inf file (which I still have around, but Windows 8.1 won't accept because it "isn't signed"), and I even stopped doing that in favor of just going in to the driver UI, unchecking the "use EDID" box and adding just the modes I like to use.
If the monitor already has the correct EDID information, then what do you need to change? The resolutions in the EDID should have already been listed in CRU before you made any changes. The "Use EDID" option needs to be enabled for the changes in CRU to work properly.
It's a VGA monitor. Not DVI-D, not HDMI, old school VGA. And ever since Vista it's no longer plug-and-play, I've to muck around to get its proper modes, not just whatever generic low-res low-RR CRT modes Windows has. Back when I first got Vista, that was accomplished by installing the monitors drivers, which I didn't really need to before. It's gotten more complex over the years. I had the same problem with a Viewsonic G220fb, which I no longer own, it was plug and play on XP, stopped being so on Vista. I've never needed to do the "remove the twelfth pin-mod", and I have multiple high-quality cables as well as a few dvi-to-vga adapters, from past cards and also store bought. Way back then I remember reading from other people with the same issues on Vista, so I just got on with life. This monitor runs just fine with my laptop Intel graphics on Windows 7, it also ran fine with all cards I had(all NVIDIA) since I bought it.
Thank you for trying to help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2014, 05:18 AM
(11-28-2014 04:40 AM)LTC Wrote:  It's a VGA monitor. Not DVI-D, not HDMI, old school VGA. And ever since Vista it's no longer plug-and-play, I've to muck around to get its proper modes, not just whatever generic low-res low-RR CRT modes Windows has. Back when I first got Vista, that was accomplished by installing the monitors drivers, which I didn't really need to before. It's gotten more complex over the years. I had the same problem with a Viewsonic G220fb, which I no longer own, it was plug and play on XP, stopped being so on Vista. I've never needed to do the "remove the twelfth pin-mod", and I have multiple high-quality cables as well as a few dvi-to-vga adapters, from past cards and also store bought. Way back then I remember reading from other people with the same issues on Vista, so I just got on with life. This monitor runs just fine with my laptop Intel graphics on Windows 7, it also ran fine with all cards I had(all NVIDIA) since I bought it.
I know it's VGA. The "Use EDID" option is only available with VGA. CRU needs that option to be enabled.

What you're saying is the opposite of what should be happening. Vista and later should be plug and play. If your monitor has the correct EDID information, then you shouldn't have to mess with anything to get the proper modes.

Does the monitor show up as Generic Non-PnP Monitor in the device manager? That would mean the video card is not receiving an EDID from the monitor.
11-28-2014, 06:20 AM
(11-28-2014 05:18 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-28-2014 04:40 AM)LTC Wrote:  It's a VGA monitor. Not DVI-D, not HDMI, old school VGA. And ever since Vista it's no longer plug-and-play, I've to muck around to get its proper modes, not just whatever generic low-res low-RR CRT modes Windows has. Back when I first got Vista, that was accomplished by installing the monitors drivers, which I didn't really need to before. It's gotten more complex over the years. I had the same problem with a Viewsonic G220fb, which I no longer own, it was plug and play on XP, stopped being so on Vista. I've never needed to do the "remove the twelfth pin-mod", and I have multiple high-quality cables as well as a few dvi-to-vga adapters, from past cards and also store bought. Way back then I remember reading from other people with the same issues on Vista, so I just got on with life. This monitor runs just fine with my laptop Intel graphics on Windows 7, it also ran fine with all cards I had(all NVIDIA) since I bought it.
I know it's VGA. The "Use EDID" option is only available with VGA. CRU needs that option to be enabled.

What you're saying is the opposite of what should be happening. Vista and later should be plug and play. If your monitor has the correct EDID information, then you shouldn't have to mess with anything to get the proper modes.

Does the monitor show up as Generic Non-PnP Monitor in the device manager? That would mean the video card is not receiving an EDID from the monitor.

Yes it does. But only on Vista and later, including this new PC with 8.1 Pro. Back when I had XP both this one and the Viewsonic were properly recognized.

For the moment, let's assume the EDID is missing for whatever reason, even though I never messed with it and it used to be recognized, it really doesn't matter as even when told not to "use the EDID or driver defaults" Catalyst still presents a limited set of choices in terms of both resolution and refresh rate, no matter how high I set the "Maximum resolution" and "Maximum refresh rate" drop box selectors that are made available when "use EDID" is unchecked below the EDID checkbox in the "Monitor attributes" section. Not only are some refresh rates italicized, and thus unselectable, as the set of which modes are available and which are not doesn't make any sense, with modes with very high pixel clock available while others with relatively low pixel clocks are not.

Most importantly, the overrides provided by CRU along with checking the "use EDID" checkbox make the driver offer the correct modes, just not at once and also not safely as it needs to be restarted, sometimes just a couple times, sometimes several, before it starts behaving appropriately.

This constitutes driver bug 2: it has the EDID to work the modes from (through the override), it is being told to use it, yet it won't do so without being restarted, more than once indeed, which may lead it to become unstable and crash. Driver bug 1 is having arbitrary refresh rates unavailable when it has been told NOT to use the EDID, which is a behavior different than, as an example, the Intel drivers on my laptop.

Steps needed to use these modes on my laptop: 1 Tell it I want to use these custom modes. 2 Confirm that I know what I'm doing bla bla bla. 3 There's no step 3, the modes are available to applications and in "list all modes" on Windows advanced display settings.

I have tried restarting it with the box checked, unchecked, it doesn't matter. The modes only work after a few tries!

Is it clear what I'm saying now?
How come something that is so simple with a laptop IGP drivers can be so hard with a dedicated graphics card driver?
11-28-2014, 12:21 PM
(11-28-2014 06:20 AM)LTC Wrote:  Most importantly, the overrides provided by CRU along with checking the "use EDID" checkbox make the driver offer the correct modes, just not at once and also not safely as it needs to be restarted, sometimes just a couple times, sometimes several, before it starts behaving appropriately.

This constitutes driver bug 2: it has the EDID to work the modes from (through the override), it is being told to use it, yet it won't do so without being restarted, more than once indeed, which may lead it to become unstable and crash. Driver bug 1 is having arbitrary refresh rates unavailable when it has been told NOT to use the EDID, which is a behavior different than, as an example, the Intel drivers on my laptop.

Steps needed to use these modes on my laptop: 1 Tell it I want to use these custom modes. 2 Confirm that I know what I'm doing bla bla bla. 3 There's no step 3, the modes are available to applications and in "list all modes" on Windows advanced display settings.

I have tried restarting it with the box checked, unchecked, it doesn't matter. The modes only work after a few tries!
So have you tried the adlutil method that I mentioned?
11-28-2014, 03:29 PM (Last edited: 11-28-2014, 03:29 PM by zn1p)
My Asus VS248H can work at 75hz with LCD reduced. Are there any settings, that I can manually tune to make it work at even higher hz?
[Image: http://s28.postimg.org/lppiibbwt/cru.jpg]
11-28-2014, 04:09 PM
(11-28-2014 12:21 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-28-2014 06:20 AM)LTC Wrote:  Most importantly, the overrides provided by CRU along with checking the "use EDID" checkbox make the driver offer the correct modes, just not at once and also not safely as it needs to be restarted, sometimes just a couple times, sometimes several, before it starts behaving appropriately.

So have you tried the adlutil method that I mentioned?

Not as of yet, since an AMD customer service representative has contacted me and asked that I try the 14.11.2 beta drivers, which I already did and still found the same issue as before. Now I'm waiting for them to get back to me. I'll give them a chance and try and wait for an official solution to this problem for now.

Let's see how this goes...
12-02-2014, 05:29 PM (Last edited: 12-02-2014, 05:36 PM by _alkaline)
I am trying to overclock my Samsung UN32H6350. It supposedly has a native 120hz panel.

I added the custom resolution (1080p @ 120hz) successfully and restarted my computer, but the 120hz option doesn't show up in the AMD Catalyst Control. So I can't even try to enable 120hz. Do you have any idea what might be causing this? Am I forgetting a step?

Also my GPU is an R9 270 , and the TV is hooked up with HDMI.

Edit: might as well add that a) I did make sure to add the custom resolution under the "active" monitor, b) include extension block is unchecked although I tried it both ways it still didn't work, c) I tried restarting, different custom refresh rates, redownloading cru, etc. Nothing has worked. Sad Thanks for the help though! Smile
12-02-2014, 06:22 PM
_alkaline, are you using Windows 8.1? Are you sure the "Use EDID" option IS checked on Catalyst? Have you tried restarting the driver multiple times?(beware though, this might cause the driver to crash, but it was what worked for me).
12-03-2014, 04:43 AM
(12-02-2014 05:29 PM)_alkaline Wrote:  I am trying to overclock my Samsung UN32H6350. It supposedly has a native 120hz panel.

I added the custom resolution (1080p @ 120hz) successfully and restarted my computer, but the 120hz option doesn't show up in the AMD Catalyst Control. So I can't even try to enable 120hz. Do you have any idea what might be causing this? Am I forgetting a step?

Also my GPU is an R9 270 , and the TV is hooked up with HDMI.

Edit: might as well add that a) I did make sure to add the custom resolution under the "active" monitor, b) include extension block is unchecked although I tried it both ways it still didn't work, c) I tried restarting, different custom refresh rates, redownloading cru, etc. Nothing has worked. Sad Thanks for the help though! Smile

(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
  • Some monitor/GPU combinations can bypass the 165 MHz HDMI limit without patching the driver by enabling the extension block and importing one of these files:

I would try importing one of the hdmi files first, and if that doesn't work, try patching the driver.
12-04-2014, 02:57 AM
Man I am really confused on my situation.

First, thank you Toasty for all your work.

I recently bought a new monitor: Benq XL24LLZ. It is capable of 144 Hz, but I cannot get it above 65 hz.

Your program works; however, when I try to select any refresh rate past 65 hz, my monitor gives me the following warning: WRONG CABLE, USE DUAL LINK DVI CABLE THAT CAME WITH THE MONITOR.

Well, I am using the DVI dual link cable that came with the monitor...

My graphics card is an XFX HD Radeon 7850, and I am sure that I plugged it into the correct port, as the other part specifcally says VGA, and even when I do use that port, the monitor only shows a black screen.

Any ideas as to why I get this cable warning, when I know the cable is correct?