Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
04-26-2013, 06:45 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Thanks for this tool, so far the only game that recognised high hz and custom res was battlefield 3. with this tool I can finally use my crt to play on 1280x960 at 100 Hz. 1280x720 at 140 Hz works too provided the game has 16:9 resolutions (UT2004 doesnt).

I have 1 problem however. When I wake my computer from sleep my CRT monitor (LG flatron 915FT+) isn't recognised properly and is just reported as generic pnp monitor. the samsung 24" lcd is detected just fine? what could be the cause?

In nvidia control panel I saw something called preferred refresh rate, is this new? I set it to highest avialable, but it didn't seem to do all that much, maybe it works in some titles, didn't really test.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2013, 02:15 PM
(04-26-2013 08:14 AM)Shenanigans Wrote:  Problem is that every time I add custom resolutions with CRU, after reboot, the monitor does not show up in device manager, the "my digital flat panels" option dissapears from AMD control center, and my resolution is just stuck cannot change it(usually at 1680x1050 because this is what I usually try adding), and the refresh rate is still either 60, or in some cases nothing is displayed there. Also, if I open CRU the monitor is no longer displayed as active, as it was before adding the resolutions and rebooting. I want to add that this happens for any custom resolution I try to add with CRU.
Is this with Windows 8?
04-27-2013, 02:24 PM
(04-26-2013 06:45 PM)Flapdrol Wrote:  I have 1 problem however. When I wake my computer from sleep my CRT monitor (LG flatron 915FT+) isn't recognised properly and is just reported as generic pnp monitor. the samsung 24" lcd is detected just fine? what could be the cause?
Is it showing Generic PnP or is it Generic non-PnP?

If it's PnP, then it sounds like the driver is flipping between two entries for some reason. In that case, there should be a different active entry in CRU when that happens. You could copy the settings to that entry as a workaround.

If it's non-PnP, then either the monitor is not reporting an EDID when waking up from sleep or the video driver is not picking it up.

(04-26-2013 06:45 PM)Flapdrol Wrote:  In nvidia control panel I saw something called preferred refresh rate, is this new? I set it to highest avialable, but it didn't seem to do all that much, maybe it works in some titles, didn't really test.
That's not new, but it doesn't seem to help.
04-27-2013, 03:08 PM
no entry in cru, that's for sure. non-pnp then.

too bad the preferred refresh thingy doesn't do anything, maybe it just prevent games from choosing the 1600x1200 75hz if there's also a 85hz in the edid or something.
04-28-2013, 12:22 PM (Last edited: 04-29-2013, 02:17 AM by scooterbaga)
Hello, nice piece of software here. Very very handy to have. Thanks for this, it has solved a few nagging issues for me.

The only thing I'm still wrestling with are some extremely low refresh rates still reporting as available for use. I'm hoping to kill these off.

They appear to be attached to the extension block. As I'm using it for sound, I need to leave that box checked. However, the extension block is what seems to be pulling in lower refresh rates and resolutions that CRU isn't presenting me the option to remove individually.

Is there any way to wipe out all of the resolutions/refresh rates in the extension block and keep the sound and other functionality?

EDIT: Nevermind. ATI Tray Tools does what I need there. It allows you to lock in refresh rates. Problem solved. CRU to create and customize entries and ATITT to lock them in. Wish I could nix some of the more ridiculous entries from the low end, but that's just nitpicking at this point.
04-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Extreme lag -- stuttering, after applying fix for LightBoost on ASUS 24".

I am a multi-monitor-man, so I had to use ToastyX's custom res tool. So all I did was import the binary and enable the 120hz resolution after a reboot. I could tell LightBoost was working -- monitor dimmed and I had the option in my OSD.

However upon launching any game, I am getting major lag. Even in the menus. Any audio playing will stutter and sound like a drill. The menu will be sluggish to load, and I usually have a hard time closing the program, requiring to open task manager to do so.

Has anyone experienced this? What could be causing it? The only irregular things about my setup: 3 monitors, main monitor is using a 25ft DVI-D cable.

Thanks!
04-29-2013, 03:12 PM
(04-29-2013 12:51 PM)WeApOn Wrote:  Extreme lag -- stuttering, after applying fix for LightBoost on ASUS 24".
Make sure you don't have 3D enabled.
04-29-2013, 03:12 PM
(04-28-2013 12:22 PM)scooterbaga Wrote:  Is there any way to wipe out all of the resolutions/refresh rates in the extension block and keep the sound and other functionality?
Not currently. I plan to add the ability to create a custom extension block eventually, but it will be a while before I get around to it because of the work involved.
04-29-2013, 03:39 PM
(04-27-2013 03:08 PM)Flapdrol Wrote:  no entry in cru, that's for sure. non-pnp then.
If the Device Manager shows "Generic non-PnP Monitor" when this happens, try exporting an INF file in CRU and installing it through the Device Manager: Right-click "Generic non-PnP Monitor" -> Update Driver Software... -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> Have Disk... -> Browse for the INF file -> OK -> Next -> Install this driver software anyway
04-29-2013, 06:37 PM
(04-29-2013 03:12 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-29-2013 12:51 PM)WeApOn Wrote:  Extreme lag -- stuttering, after applying fix for LightBoost on ASUS 24".
Make sure you don't have 3D enabled.

Aha, it might be as simple as this. I know in my NVIDIA control panel, I had enable stereoscopic 3d CHECKED.

I will uncheck this tonight and if you don't hear from me, that was the solution. Thanks!