Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-25-2015, 07:54 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-24-2015 03:55 PM)TuN Wrote:  Well I have tried VGA, Hdmi and Double-link DVI, same issue on all of them.

How do I enter this:

Screen refresh rate 75 Hz
Vertical refresh 79.976303317536 kHz
Pixel freq. 135.0 MHz

I can only select one of them, and then the other two settings correspond to the one that I have manually entered. I can't enter all three myself, unless there is a way that I'm not aware of.

EDIT: I have manually changed the Visible area, Front porch, Sync pulse and Back porch, and now it does adjust the Vertical refresh and Pixel frequency to the values that are mentioned in the manual. I'm rebooting then testing it.

EDIT 2: It doesn't work. I tried again with VGA and DVI and also the established resolution, but i still get the warning on the monitor OSD.

I just don't get it why does monitor work at 1280x1024@75Hz, but still keeps turning black after a while. It should either work or it just shouldn't. It's like the monitor is just teasing me with showing that it actually works and then turns black Smile

I'll get the 144Hz monitor some day or even Korean 2560x1440 monitor and overclock it, but I wanted this monitor to last a bit more. The 75 Hz does make a difference over 60 Hz :/

You just need to get a different monitor, then. Sounds like firmware issues.

I know the Benq Z series monitors (and I believe the previous T series as well but do not quote me on that) do NOT support 85hz refresh rates UNLESS They are at native resolution. 1920x1080@85hz works (this isn't defined as a default refresh rate, it works if you do a custom and the OSD identifies it as 85hz) but any lower resolution at 85hz, e.g. 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1152x864@85hz all show "OUT OF RANGE!" on the OSD. Even in VGA/dsub. Yet you STILL see the screen perfectly anyway...you just can't enter the OSD although you can close the OOR error popup.

I thought this was a firmware bug too but the service manual has a "X" next to all of the 85hz refresh rates, which means not supported.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2015, 10:33 AM
I just want to make sure I am using this correctly. I have an Nvidia GTX970 using HDMI to a Pioneer 521-K Receiver connected to an LG 60" 120Hz TV. I have set the panel to 120Hz and restarted. The TV flickers 2x and afterward the contrast clarity is very high, good color and the actual motion seems subtle. Nvidia control panel and the TV still report the refresh as 60Hz. Is it still 120Hz even though it shows 60? Also I noticed since this fakes a DVI connection there is no longer an option for HDMI audio.
08-26-2015, 12:30 PM
(08-26-2015 10:33 AM)xlxcrossing Wrote:  I just want to make sure I am using this correctly. I have an Nvidia GTX970 using HDMI to a Pioneer 521-K Receiver connected to an LG 60" 120Hz TV. I have set the panel to 120Hz and restarted. The TV flickers 2x and afterward the contrast clarity is very high, good color and the actual motion seems subtle. Nvidia control panel and the TV still report the refresh as 60Hz. Is it still 120Hz even though it shows 60? Also I noticed since this fakes a DVI connection there is no longer an option for HDMI audio.
No, it should show 120 Hz if it's 120 Hz. HDMI acts like single-link DVI and is limited to 165 MHz pixel clock unless HDMI support is defined in the extension block. You need to add or import HDMI support and an audio format. That would solve both problems, assuming the TV can actually handle 120 Hz.

(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
  • Some monitor/GPU combinations can bypass the 165 MHz HDMI limit without patching the driver by importing one of these extension block files:
08-26-2015, 12:42 PM
(08-25-2015 07:54 AM)Domeye Wrote:  Hi all, im kinda newbie in this. I have AOC 2236swa 21.5 inch, native resolution 1920x1080 @60hz, that has only VGA. I would rly like to run it on faster refresh 72,75 but my monitor can do it only on lower resolution. I managed to make custom resolution in CRU, but the picture is always off alot (pushed to the left so i see only half of display). Im googling alot but i rly dont know what else to do now. Help me pls or tell me if u need more info. ty in advance
Since you're using VGA, try adjusting the clock and phase controls on the monitor. If that doesn't help, the only thing you can do is try different timing parameters. If it won't display properly with LCD standard, LCD native, LCD reduced, or CRT standard, then it probably can't handle higher refresh rates properly at the native resolution.
08-28-2015, 01:28 PM (Last edited: 08-28-2015, 02:09 PM by eNkel)
Hello!

I have a problem with the tool:

Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z (FW: v4) via DVI / AMD Graphics Card with newest Catalyst

I'm coming from this site: http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/strobe-utility/ and wanted to use this Vertical 1350 "trick" to get a brighter picture with Blur Reduction with your tool. But sadly it doesnt work at all.
My settings are the same as in the picture from the site, but as you see there are a few options which are missing like Blanking and Black Porch. The problem is, when I restart the PC, I cannot switch to 120Hz anymore. It's just not there in the drop-down menu. Only 60Hz is available. And I dont know if I should use the Default extension block and so on... Can you help me please or better: Can you give me a much more understandable tutorial to get this to work on a AMD graphics card with your tool?
I would be very happy because with Blur Reduction the monitor is very dark and unplayable for me :/

EDIT:
Nevermind, got it to work now after I installed the Pixel Clock Patch from you. Anyway, many thanks for your work on your software Big Grin
08-28-2015, 07:07 PM (Last edited: 08-28-2015, 07:14 PM by falkentyne)
Glad it's working.

There were problems with older AMD drivers where accelerated video playback would either stop or lag horribly if the pixel clock patcher were used. I believe this problem started just after the original beta releases of the 290x drivers (the first several initial releases were fine). Then some later versions were just completely borked (video playback would lag or just freeze if above 720p, unless you turned off hardware acceleration). It's been fixed for awhile now (I think all drivers after August 2014 fixed this), though; it was an annoying problem while it existed.

I compared playback over DP (without patcher) with DVI (with patcher) on the newer amd drivers, and no differences anymore.

Also the main point to using the VT tweak is not to get a brighter picture; that's rather a side effect due to the VT tweak changing the persistence values to the 60hz values (the higher the persistence in milliseconds, the brighter the image. Quick example: WITHOUT VT tweaks active: The default persistence per point of "Strobe duty" at 60hz is 0.167 ms per point. The default persistence per point of strobe duty at 100hz is 0.1ms per point (.1ms is lower than 0.167ms, so the screen will be dimmer with 0.1 ms than 0.167 ms). Using a VT tweak forces the refresh rate (No one knows why, however) to use the 60hz persistence values; thus you get a brighter screen).

The main point of the VT tweaks is to lower the amount of strobe crosstalk usually present around the bottom of the screen (this is because the Benq blur reduction does not use accelerated scanout). I prefer using a vertical total of 1500, which, at 100hz refresh rate, makes the strobe crosstalk very similar to Lightboost with accelerated scanout (VT tweak and Lightboost accelerated scanout do basically the same thing, although in different ways; you can tell by noticing a faint (this varies from monitor sample to monitor sample, even the two exact same monitors may vary!) horizontal scanlines pattern on the screen when in lightboost mode and you may see the same pattern in benq blur reduction mode with a 1500 VT tweak).
08-29-2015, 07:25 AM
(08-28-2015 07:07 PM)falkentyne Wrote:  I prefer using a vertical total of 1500, which, at 100hz refresh rate, makes the strobe crosstalk very similar to Lightboost with accelerated scanout (VT tweak and Lightboost accelerated scanout do basically the same thing, although in different ways; you can tell by noticing a faint (this varies from monitor sample to monitor sample, even the two exact same monitors may vary!) horizontal scanlines pattern on the screen when in lightboost mode and you may see the same pattern in benq blur reduction mode with a 1500 VT tweak).

Would you be so kind to give me the settings for VT 1500 so I can test it for myself?
08-29-2015, 07:37 AM (Last edited: 08-29-2015, 08:09 AM by rooster2000)
hello,

I just bought u2414h DELL monitor, which I suppose could be the setting resolution of 1920 x 1200 @60 Hz (Display Port (VGA) to mini DP (Monitor) with CRU 1.2 program, but when I tried it failed say "out of range ".

1920 x 1200 @59Hz did not work too

I also have a old DELL S2309W (DVI) and succeeded in setting up resolution 1920 x 1200 @60 Hz

why in U2414 it did not work?

nb my vga amd 5870 , amd ccc 15.7.1, win 7 64 bit

somebody help me please

thanks Big Grin
08-29-2015, 12:22 PM (Last edited: 08-29-2015, 12:23 PM by falkentyne)
(08-29-2015 07:25 AM)eNkel Wrote:  
(08-28-2015 07:07 PM)falkentyne Wrote:  I prefer using a vertical total of 1500, which, at 100hz refresh rate, makes the strobe crosstalk very similar to Lightboost with accelerated scanout (VT tweak and Lightboost accelerated scanout do basically the same thing, although in different ways; you can tell by noticing a faint (this varies from monitor sample to monitor sample, even the two exact same monitors may vary!) horizontal scanlines pattern on the screen when in lightboost mode and you may see the same pattern in benq blur reduction mode with a 1500 VT tweak).

Would you be so kind to give me the settings for VT 1500 so I can test it for myself?

All that stuff is on the blur busters' forums. Even the guide on the main site (in the how to section) has the timings for VT 1350. Just change it to 1500. And use the pixel clock patcher. Clock should be 374.40 MHz at 120hz and 330.00 at 100hz if you used 1500 instead of 1502 (I get some random strobe sync issues sometimes at 1502 at 120hz that don't appear at 1500, although 1502 at 100hz is fine).
08-29-2015, 05:21 PM
I am trying to limit my display resolution horizontally. What I am after is the native resolution with black bars on the left and right.

When I use CRU, Windows 10 (I also tried it in 8.1 with the same result) stretches the display instead of providing the desired horizontal letterbox.

Is there a combination of CRU settings that would allow me to achieve that?

Setup: Radeon R9 380, Wasabi Mango UHD420 (Korean 42" 4k monitor)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)