Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-20-2015, 07:59 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
This may not be CRU related, though wondering if anyone has shared this experience.

I am using R9 290s in Windows 7 and 10. Any driver past the OMEGA (15.2 ?) driver, does not allow me to use a custom resolution over 60hz. It will however let me use one of my under 60 custom res, which is 41.

I install the driver, reboot. Install CRU, import my saved profile, exit and reboot.
I pixel patch and reboot.

I get 41 and 60hz but not the other two of 96 and 120.

It seems to me it's driver related, though curious if any one knows a work around?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2015, 12:04 PM
(09-20-2015 07:59 AM)tester68 Wrote:  I am using R9 290s in Windows 7 and 10. Any driver past the OMEGA (15.2 ?) driver, does not allow me to use a custom resolution over 60hz. It will however let me use one of my under 60 custom res, which is 41.
Are you using the latest version of CRU? What resolution are you talking about? What monitor is this?
09-21-2015, 12:27 PM
(09-19-2015 11:18 PM)DustyShinigami Wrote:  I've tried using the NVIDIA Control Panel too, but it made no difference either. Also, I'm not concerned about adding custom resolutions, just my own refresh rates. Smile
I don't understand. Are you saying custom refresh rates added using the NVIDIA control panel don't show up in the list of refresh rates? That would be an unusual problem. Regardless, CRU is different and uses EDID overrides. Using a custom extension block should work.
09-22-2015, 04:41 AM
Well, my generic-chinese-shitty monitor was not the problem. I'm using a live Kali GNU/Linux system and it works perfect.

The problem is the shitty way that uses Windows to manage GPUs.
09-22-2015, 11:41 AM
(09-21-2015 12:27 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I don't understand. Are you saying custom refresh rates added using the NVIDIA control panel don't show up in the list of refresh rates? That would be an unusual problem. Regardless, CRU is different and uses EDID overrides. Using a custom extension block should work.

They're just not accepted. If I add a custom refresh rate of 70 or 80Hz the monitor goes black for a few seconds and goes back to normal, with the refresh rate unaccepted and not in the list. If I add these refresh rates using CRU and then restart the PC, they don't appear in the list of available refresh rates when you right click the desktop > screen resolution > advanced settings > monitor. This is when G-Sync is enabled. However, I've hooked my monitor via HDMI and those custom refresh rates are accepted. Big Grin Guess I'll just have to revert to HDMI when I want to use those refresh rates.
09-22-2015, 02:33 PM
I was wondering if the CRU would help in our situation. We are a school with new Geforce video cards under Win7, driving multiple displays in the classroom. One is a projector used with electronic whiteboards. The boards are calibrated to align the pen position with the projected image. Our problem is that, for any momentary interruption, the nVidia driver will re-configure itself and may choose a different resolution, thus changing the projected image alignment, and requiring re-calibration of the boards. I asked nVidia if we could lock the configuration to prevent this, they responded that the driver depends on the display EDID, and if that changes even for a moment, there will be a configuration cycle. Since we have multiple displays, it also depends on the combination of EDIDs. We use HDMI switches, and a switching event can trigger the driver. Could CRU help us to lock down a single configuration in this situation, to avoid nuisance changes? Thanks in advance for any & all help.
09-23-2015, 04:59 AM
(09-22-2015 02:33 PM)rgcowie4D Wrote:  I was wondering if the CRU would help in our situation. We are a school with new Geforce video cards under Win7, driving multiple displays in the classroom. One is a projector used with electronic whiteboards. The boards are calibrated to align the pen position with the projected image. Our problem is that, for any momentary interruption, the nVidia driver will re-configure itself and may choose a different resolution, thus changing the projected image alignment, and requiring re-calibration of the boards. I asked nVidia if we could lock the configuration to prevent this, they responded that the driver depends on the display EDID, and if that changes even for a moment, there will be a configuration cycle. Since we have multiple displays, it also depends on the combination of EDIDs. We use HDMI switches, and a switching event can trigger the driver. Could CRU help us to lock down a single configuration in this situation, to avoid nuisance changes? Thanks in advance for any & all help.
I'm not understanding why the driver would choose a different resolution. It should use what was last set. Even if it didn't, I don't understand why you would need to recalibrate the boards instead of just changing the resolution back.

Display detection is based on the EDID, so if you're using a switch, you'll have to set the resolution separately for each display. If you're using multiple displays at once, you might have to do that for each combination. The only way around that is to use a hardware EDID emulator between the switch and the video card so the driver thinks the same display is always connected.
09-26-2015, 01:30 AM
Is there any chance of being able to use CRU rather than doing the following process for custom FreeSync ranges?

http://wccftech.com/amd-freesync-hack-ex...ate-range/
09-26-2015, 01:42 AM
Sorry if this is the wrong place but I also made a thread, maybe someone can help with a custom resolution...
I recently bought a 1440p 144hz ROG Swift and have been loving it. I wanted to add 2 monitors to use with Nvidia's Surround. I've got a 980ti and checked the website for surround and all the ports are supported. I originally got 2 1080p Acer monitors but couldn't get them to work in surround because I kept getting the error that the monitors have to have at least one common timing. There's an option on the actual ROG display to change the hz from 60-120-144, I have put it at 60 and still the same error. I tried getting 3 DisplayPort to DVI wires and still nothing. I thought maybe the timing had to do with the response timing so I went out and got 2 Asus 1080p 60hz monitors that have 1ms response time to match the Asus ROG but still the same timing error. I have tried matching the polarity and changing the resolution on the ROG to 1080p match the other 2 and still same error. I even tried to create an .inf file from the ROG and apply it to the other 2 monitors but then the monitor goes black and says "out of range". Is it possible to get an .inf that would work across all 3 monitors? or any other way to trick nvidia control panel to see them all as the same monitor? Or any other things I've missed that can be tweaked I'd greatly appreciate the help.
09-26-2015, 01:50 AM (Last edited: 09-26-2015, 01:51 AM by Nintendo Maniac 64)
I personally can't help (maybe someone else can), but on a related subject it was my understanding that Nvidia Surround could do what you're trying to do because I'm pretty sure AMD's Eyefinity can and I can't see Nvidia with their larger driver-development team would ever let AMD have a driver feature that Nvida doesn't have...