Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-31-2015, 12:52 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-30-2015 05:27 PM)c_g_f Wrote:  I hope somebody will be able to help me. I have a 2560x1080 LG monitor and a R9 390 with a short Big Grin displayport cable.. tried standard, reduced and even copying the original settings and then changing only the refresh rate (manual) and nothing! not even 3hz.. it just gives me some colorful mess.. I've noticed that both default polarities in 2560x1080 are negative.. please help!!! my exact monitor model is LG 25ub55
What are you trying to do? If you're trying to increase the refresh rate, are you sure the monitor can handle anything other than 60 Hz? You might have different results with DVI.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2015, 01:34 AM
(10-29-2015 04:08 PM)Phenixy Wrote:  I very recently bought a new gaming laptop, this very model, an Acer with a GeForce 960M. However, I did not know it came with the fucked-up "Optimus" technology that still uses the shitty Intel 4600 integrated graphics to handle Windows (unsupported by CRU). I did my homework searching the forum, found in this post no more hope. It's frustrating, because I have an awesome computer but limited to 60Hz now.

So, could someone either confirm me that I am completely, 100% fucked, or is there a way to circumvent the problem by, for example, kill the Intel graphics to force the GeForce (no pun intended) to run Windows and handle resolution, enabling it to push my refresh rate OVER 9000 (or at least to a good 90-100Hz)?
If it's Optimus, I haven't heard of a way to disable it. It might be possible to add custom resolutions through driver-specific methods, but they aren't well-documented, and Intel's control panel seems to be broken at the moment: https://communities.intel.com/thread/781...0&tstart=0
10-31-2015, 04:49 AM (Last edited: 10-31-2015, 04:57 AM by falkentyne)
(10-31-2015 01:34 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-29-2015 04:08 PM)Phenixy Wrote:  I very recently bought a new gaming laptop, this very model, an Acer with a GeForce 960M. However, I did not know it came with the fucked-up "Optimus" technology that still uses the shitty Intel 4600 integrated graphics to handle Windows (unsupported by CRU). I did my homework searching the forum, found in this post no more hope. It's frustrating, because I have an awesome computer but limited to 60Hz now.

So, could someone either confirm me that I am completely, 100% fucked, or is there a way to circumvent the problem by, for example, kill the Intel graphics to force the GeForce (no pun intended) to run Windows and handle resolution, enabling it to push my refresh rate OVER 9000 (or at least to a good 90-100Hz)?
If it's Optimus, I haven't heard of a way to disable it. It might be possible to add custom resolutions through driver-specific methods, but they aren't well-documented, and Intel's control panel seems to be broken at the moment: https://communities.intel.com/thread/781...0&tstart=0

It's impossible to disable Optimus completely.
However you can force Optimus to use the Geforce card to make sure games aren't switching to the Intel iGPU.

Quote:Hi guys, check page one, my post >>>#5

The work around I posted there will "force" the nVidia Optimus to use your dedicated nVidia GTX-8XXM card.
(This will work for most Asus NBs with Optimus enabled cards)
Most programs will benefit from this work around
Excluded from this work around would be "Desktop Settings", you will need to use the "Intel Control panel" for those settings.
(No "Desktop setting" are available in the "nVidia Control Panel" for Asus NBs with Optimus enabled cards)

PS: Plus if you play any "Web Based" (Diablo III, ect.) online games, go to program setting, then change your "Preferred Browser" to use the "High Performance NVIDIA Processor" also.

PS2: Plus you can "Force" most any program independently in program settings (not all will) to use the nVidia GTX card.
(If the program is not listed, try the 'Add" option, and add the program)

Hope this helps you guys?
Good luck, and good gaming my friends.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.ph...ntel/page9

BTW there's a good thread (about Linux) that explains a lot more about Optimus, and it's a very good read. Remember Linux is like the old MS DOS system, where we gain COMPLETE control over the hardware unless the hardware itself doesn't allow it. (meaning you can brick your entire motherboard by flashing an EDID into the wrong i2c channel, etc). So a lot of tech savvy people know quite a bit about hardware.

http://dchambers.github.io/articles/driv...us-laptop/
10-31-2015, 11:16 AM
Many thanks for all the info guys.

ToastyX, from the Intel thread you link and this one it seems Intel knows about the problem. From the last page there seems to be some recent push from the community to make it happen, Intel says it's "high priority".

Falkentyne, thanks also, I already "pushed" the use of the Geforce in the settings as in the thread you linked, however it does not include handling desktop resolution (and therefore custom resolution).

I now cross my fingers and hope that Intel engineers are working on it.
10-31-2015, 01:38 PM
I am to understand that faint horizontal lines is most often panel related and not due to timings. I've now noticed after about a year of ownership that darker backgrounds expose horizontal lines when running at 96hz or greater on a Tempest 270 monitor.
It's even more pronounced at 120hz.

I did try the deliner however that has the knock on effect of making some windows/images show even more lines.

Could it be overcome with a better cable?
Could I also try amending the CRU timings? I currently use 2704 / 1450. I have been told to try 2700 / 1444 however the text goes red when trying 1444.
10-31-2015, 02:11 PM
(10-31-2015 01:38 PM)tester68 Wrote:  I did try the deliner however that has the knock on effect of making some windows/images show even more lines.
Did you run reduce-contrast.exe?

(10-31-2015 01:38 PM)tester68 Wrote:  Could it be overcome with a better cable?
The lines are not a signal quality issue, so a better cable won't help. I think it's a limitation of the timing controller.

(10-31-2015 01:38 PM)tester68 Wrote:  Could I also try amending the CRU timings? I currently use 2704 / 1450. I have been told to try 2700 / 1444 however the text goes red when trying 1444.
That won't make much of a difference. I wouldn't go lower than 1445 because current AMD cards can't handle less than 5 vertical blanking.
The total includes the front porch + sync width + back porch, so you need to reduce the vertical front porch and sync width to 1 to set the total to 1445.
10-31-2015, 02:43 PM
(10-31-2015 02:11 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-31-2015 01:38 PM)tester68 Wrote:  I did try the deliner however that has the knock on effect of making some windows/images show even more lines.
Did you run reduce-contrast.exe?

(10-31-2015 01:38 PM)tester68 Wrote:  Could it be overcome with a better cable?
The lines are not a signal quality issue, so a better cable won't help. I think it's a limitation of the timing controller.

Thank you. I was getting some intermittent red line flickering in full screen games at 120hz. I tried a different cable and it seems to have settled down.

(10-31-2015 01:38 PM)tester68 Wrote:  Could I also try amending the CRU timings? I currently use 2704 / 1450. I have been told to try 2700 / 1444 however the text goes red when trying 1444.
That won't make much of a difference. I wouldn't go lower than 1445 because current AMD cards can't handle less than 5 vertical blanking.
The total includes the front porch + sync width + back porch, so you need to reduce the vertical front porch and sync width to 1 to set the total to 1445.

When I set the total to 1445, it auto adjusts the Vertical settings for me
10-31-2015, 03:54 PM (Last edited: 10-31-2015, 03:55 PM by francescobabbaro)
Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hi, I'm trying to solve the bug of GTA V about the refresh rate of 1080p locked at 59 hz.
I've tried to set only one detailed resolution (1920x1080p, both 60.000 hz and 59.94 hz, LCD standard) deleting all other resolutions, standard ones included. I've tried to set only one standard resolution (1920x1080p, 60 hz) deleting all other, detailed included. I've tried to set both standard and detailed resolutions setting as previous said, but nothing works. (Rebooted system after any change). Can you help me, please? I'm becoming crazy! Thanks a lot. (Sorry for my bad English).
(Amd video card, 15.10 beta drivers.).
10-31-2015, 06:49 PM
(10-31-2015 03:54 PM)francescobabbaro Wrote:  Hi, I'm trying to solve the bug of GTA V about the refresh rate of 1080p locked at 59 hz.
I've tried to set only one detailed resolution (1920x1080p, both 60.000 hz and 59.94 hz, LCD standard) deleting all other resolutions, standard ones included. I've tried to set only one standard resolution (1920x1080p, 60 hz) deleting all other, detailed included. I've tried to set both standard and detailed resolutions setting as previous said, but nothing works. (Rebooted system after any change). Can you help me, please? I'm becoming crazy! Thanks a lot. (Sorry for my bad English).

59.94 hz and 60hz are exactly the same thing.
It will still be 60 fps.
What's the problem?

If you're talking about the DVI port on a Radeon card, you're out of luck. In older AMD drivers, you could remove the 50hz and 60hz and 59.94hz resolutions (and for instance, have the ONLY resolution 1920x1080@100hz and nothing else, if you created it) by unchecking and removing all standard and established resolutions. However sometime in the R9 290x beta cycle (and I don't remember when, but I think it was in the 14.X cycle, right after the original betas for the 290X), this stopped working and 50 and 59.94hz appeared no matter what you did.

The only way you could get rid of that was to create a 1920x1078 resolution and have the game use that.

Over displayport, this seems to work differently. The default DP config still has 59.94 and 50 hz available by default, but by either using custom resolutions or using a custom extension block instead of the default ones, only the detailed resolutions and the ones in the extension block appear, with 50 hz greyed out. 50hz is still there but only at 1280x720. I don't know if its using the custom extension block which did it or creating other detailed resolutions, probably the custom extension block.
11-01-2015, 11:41 AM
(10-31-2015 06:49 PM)falkentyne Wrote:  
(10-31-2015 03:54 PM)francescobabbaro Wrote:  Hi, I'm trying to solve the bug of GTA V about the refresh rate of 1080p locked at 59 hz.

59.94 hz and 60hz are exactly the same thing.
It will still be 60 fps.
What's the problem?

If you're talking about the DVI port on a Radeon card, you're out of luck. In older AMD drivers, you could remove the 50hz and 60hz and 59.94hz resolutions (and for instance, have the ONLY resolution 1920x1080@100hz and nothing else, if you created it) by unchecking and removing all standard and established resolutions. However sometime in the R9 290x beta cycle (and I don't remember when, but I think it was in the 14.X cycle, right after the original betas for the 290X), this stopped working and 50 and 59.94hz appeared no matter what you did.

The only way you could get rid of that was to create a 1920x1078 resolution and have the game use that.

Over displayport, this seems to work differently. The default DP config still has 59.94 and 50 hz available by default, but by either using custom resolutions or using a custom extension block instead of the default ones, only the detailed resolutions and the ones in the extension block appear, with 50 hz greyed out. 50hz is still there but only at 1280x720. I don't know if its using the custom extension block which did it or creating other detailed resolutions, probably the custom extension block.

Thanks for your reply, but I don't know if I've well understood. I'm using HDMI interface. Substantially, you're saying that the problem is drivers? I can't understand a thing: the game find all other resolutions that I set up, only 1080p@60hz doesn't work! I can use only 50 hz and 59 hz (that cause microstuttering). Now I add in custom extension block 1920x1078@60hz and it works ingame, there are any differences in game between this and 1080p, right? Thanks a lot for the idea!