Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-23-2016, 04:20 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(06-22-2016 07:11 PM)Magicool Wrote:  My question is regarding the timing:
With the "native" timing I can reach max 66Hz@1080p@163.35Mhz (I dont want to patch the GPU drivers yet).
With the "standard" timing I can go up to 71Hz@1080p@164.96Mhz.
So what are the pros and cons of these timings and what are they there for?
Is there a disadvantage using the "standard" timing which woudl allow me to go up to 71Hz without patching the driver?
It doesn't matter. Just use whatever works. The only disadvantage is the video card might not clock down when idle if the vertical blanking is too low, but that shouldn't happen with standard timings. Standards exist to make sure certain values are always supported, but that's not guaranteed when trying refresh rates that are not officially supported by the monitor.

(06-22-2016 07:11 PM)Magicool Wrote:  I also read somwhere when using the Nvidia control center I don't need to patch driver because it automaticly overlocks the pixel clock?
That depends on what you're doing. Single-link DVI monitors always expect a single-link signal, so single-link DVI always requires the patch to go beyond 165 MHz pixel clock. Dual-link DVI needs the patch to go beyond 330 MHz pixel clock when using CRU but not when using the NVIDIA control panel. HDMI doesn't need the patch in either case if you add an HDMI support data block in the extension block.

(06-22-2016 07:11 PM)Magicool Wrote:  Edit: Something else just caught my eye.
In the Nvidia control panel it doesn't say HDMI anymore but DVI.
Is this normal?
HDMI is treated as single-link DVI if an HDMI support data block is not defined in the extension block. If you add an HDMI support data block in the extension block or import one of the hdmi.dat files, you won't need the patch to go beyond 165 MHz pixel clock.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2016, 01:11 PM
Hi,

Is it possible to remove just a particular refresh rate using CRU? I'm currently using an AMD based card.
06-24-2016, 07:40 PM (Last edited: 06-24-2016, 11:34 PM by executioner28)
I have big problems using Asus MG278q and trying to get it to work on 144Hz @ 2560x1440 resolution. I have XFX 270X and tried both HDMI and dual DVI cables that came with the monitor. I also tried this CRU tool but nothing helped.

[Image: QwSuUdE.png?1]

So even it says it can go to 144Hz it still says under monitor settings 60Hz.

Unfortunately my graphics card doesn't have display port. I will buy new, but in a month time.

Need help please

Kind regards

EDIT:

I used the AMD patcher and managed to unlock 100 and 120Hz. Happy about it. But let's try to get those 144Hz. Anybody?
06-25-2016, 11:52 AM (Last edited: 09-23-2016, 09:04 PM by James D)
Hello guys. Hope you can help me.

1. Bugreport. AMD GPU, notebook MSI GT780, i7 , Windows 7.
When I use CRU just editing already existed refresh profiles I no more have Brightness Control for some reason.
Also at edited by CRU 90Hz and above I had broken image on monitor (frey lines and digital mess) on youtube video playback pages. But there is no breakage on 96Hz without using CRU.
2. When I had Nvidia GPU creating custom refresh modes was a dream. Just set your rate and click OK, Nvidia Control Panel automatically chose the best settings. Now I have AMD and real pain with all this. Does anybody know if you can get detailed info of timings of those customly created resolution in nvidia control panel so you would be able to put those into CRU?
This is what another guy with same laptop and nvidia GPU sent me
[Image: http://i63.fastpic.ru/thumb/2016/0625/ac/06f935bffdd6e994228dfc93f02d83ac.jpeg]
But when he sent a picture with written 100Hz those greyed out numbers didn't change except Hz number. And monitor isn't much more stable with those on 96Hz (slight stroboscoping on dark colors).

Thank you.
06-26-2016, 04:30 PM
(06-25-2016 11:52 AM)James D Wrote:  1. Bugreport. AMD Firepro M6000 (HD 7870M), notebook MSI GT780, i7 , Windows 7.
When I use CRU just editing already existed refresh profiles I no more have Brightness Control for some reason.
Someone else reported this with a different laptop, and we determined that any EDID override causes this to happen, so there's nothing I can do about this. It seems to be an AMD-specific driver issue. Try adding a custom resolution through Radeon Settings instead.

(06-25-2016 11:52 AM)James D Wrote:  Also at edited by CRU 90Hz and above I had broken image on monitor (frey lines and digital mess) on youtube video playback pages. But there is no breakage on 96Hz without using CRU.
If this only happens on pages with video, then it sounds like the memory clock issue described in the first post. Did you try the "LCD standard" timing option (or "CVT-Reduced Blanking" with Radeon Settings)?

(06-25-2016 11:52 AM)James D Wrote:  2. When I had Nvidia GPU creating custom refresh modes was a dream. Just set your rate and click OK, Nvidia Control Panel automatically chose the best settings. Now I have AMD and real pain with all this.
It's not that simple. Some games won't use the higher refresh rate when using the NVIDIA control panel unless you also create and install a monitor driver, and it doesn't automatically choose the best settings. It just uses whatever happens to be set for the native resolution.

Adding a custom resolution with AMD should be easy, but you're assuming the same refresh rate and timing parameters will work with different hardware. It might not even have the same panel interface inside despite being the same model, so there might be different limitations.

(06-25-2016 11:52 AM)James D Wrote:  Does anybody know if you can get detailed info of timings of those customly created resolution in nvidia control panel so you would be able to put those into CRU?
This is what another guy with same laptop and nvidia GPU sent me
http://i63.fastpic.ru/thumb/2016/0625/ac/06f935bffdd6e994228dfc93f02d83ac.jpeg
But when he sent a picture with written 100Hz those greyed out numbers didn't change except Hz number. And monitor isn't much more stable with those on 96Hz (slight stroboscoping on dark colors).
That looks like the CVT-RB timing parameters for 60 Hz. That's what the NVIDIA control panel does. It just uses whatever happens to be set for the native resolution. If the same timing parameters don't work with your laptop, then the hardware is different.
06-26-2016, 05:20 PM (Last edited: 06-26-2016, 11:32 PM by James D)
(06-26-2016 04:30 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Someone else reported this with a different laptop, and we determined that any EDID override causes this to happen, so there's nothing I can do about this. It seems to be an AMD-specific driver issue. Try adding a custom resolution through Radeon Settings instead.
OK, thank you for your detailed answer. Now it seems way simpler to me.
The reason I said about pain is because AMD Radeon Settings does not have Tab with Custom resolution settings. And taking to account responce on AMD Forum I don't see it being fixed. BTW Did you hear about any Reg hack to show that tab?
This is why now I have to open Windows' Monitor Resolution settings window, then click Advanced Monitor settings, pick Monitor tab and then pick Hz mode and click OK. Any faster third party mini tool I don't know about to make it quicker?

And the last question about reported brightness control issues after EDID override. Can I just edit EDID with CRU, then backup new EDID so I would reflash it in my notebook's monitor?
My notebook already has modded EDID with 72/88/96/60 Hz modes but it wasn't me who created it and 96Hz mode is kinda stroboscoping dark colors. So I planed to set LCD Reduced for 96Hz mode, then save newly modded EDID and flash it. I attached both now: the original and a backup after using CRU.
Buuuuuuut edidreader.com says that new EDID has different Horizontal and Vertical sizes. Could that be the reason of some bugs? That CRU accidentally changes few other things and algorithm can be enhanced?
[Image: http://i78.fastpic.ru/thumb/2016/0627/de/136776e409148a237136ddd17c6cbbde.jpeg]

P.S. Yes, LCD reduced profile stops my GPU's Memory clocks from downclocking but Core clocks autodrop itself.
P.P.S.
(06-26-2016 04:30 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  If this only happens on pages with video, then it sounds like the memory clock issue described in the first post. Did you try the "LCD standard" timing option (or "CVT-Reduced Blanking" with Radeon Settings)?
Sorry that I noticed that notice only today when decided to reread it just in case. And you are right: no software memory overclock, no digital mess.
(06-26-2016 04:30 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Adding a custom resolution with AMD should be easy, but you're assuming the same refresh rate and timing parameters will work with different hardware. It might not even have the same panel interface inside despite being the same model, so there might be different limitations.
Well, it's the same laptop, I just took out fried Nvidia GPU and put AMD GPU known to be working in this laptop Smile

Attached File(s)
.bin  CMO1720_mod_72_88_96.bin (Size: 128 bytes / Downloads: 530)
.bin  96Hz LCD Reduced mod.bin (Size: 128 bytes / Downloads: 502)
06-27-2016, 01:43 AM (Last edited: 06-27-2016, 04:00 AM by cajampa)
Hi ToastyX and thanks for CRU Smile

I have an LG EG920V 4k OLED TV but unfortunately i don't have a HDMI 2.0 capable card yet. I run it with the HDMI from an AMD Radeon HD 6970.

So i used CRU to get 1080p 72hz, by exporting the EDID with MonInfo and importing that in CRU and added a detailed resolution for 1080p 72hz.

But i can't get 96hz, 100hz or 120hz working, when i add those to the detailed resolution and restart the driver the 96hz, 100hz or 120hz dosen't show up like the 72hz and lower hz did.

Do you have tips on how to get the higher hz to work?

Attached File(s)
.bin  dspinfo LG EG920V.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 481)
06-27-2016, 03:49 AM
(06-27-2016 01:43 AM)cajampa Wrote:  Hi Toasty and thanks for CRU Smile

I have an LG EG920V 4k OLED TV but unfortunately i don't have a HDMI 2.0 capable card yet. I run it with the HDMI from an AMD Radeon HD 6970.

So i used CRU to get 1080p 72hz, by exporting the EDID with MonInfo and importing that in CRU and added a detailed resolution for 1080p 72hz.

But i can't get 96hz, 100hz or 120hz working, when i add those to the detailed resolution and restart the driver the 96hz, 100hz or 120hz dosen't show up like the 72hz and lower hz did.

Do you have tips on how to get the higher hz to work?
6000-series cards are limited to 165 MHz pixel clock with HDMI unless the video driver is patched: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...ck-Patcher
06-27-2016, 04:32 AM
(06-26-2016 05:20 PM)James D Wrote:  OK, thank you for your detailed answer. Now it seems way simpler to me.
The reason I said about pain is because AMD Radeon Settings does not have Tab with Custom resolution settings. And taking to account responce on AMD Forum I don't see it being fixed. BTW Did you hear about any Reg hack to show that tab?
Radeon Settings has custom resolutions under Display -> Additional Settings, and then under My Digital Flat-Panels -> Custom Resolutions. FirePro cards have always had custom resolutions available. AMD only recently added custom resolutions for all cards with Crimson.

(06-26-2016 05:20 PM)James D Wrote:  This is why now I have to open Windows' Monitor Resolution settings window, then click Advanced Monitor settings, pick Monitor tab and then pick Hz mode and click OK. Any faster third party mini tool I don't know about to make it quicker?
If you mean setting resolutions, then yeah, Radeon Settings doesn't have a way to set the resolution like CCC did, so you have to set it through Windows, which can be a pain because Microsoft decided to bury it several levels deep. I might include a resolution switcher with CRU in the future. If you want hotkeys, you can use this: http://funk.eu/hrc/

(06-26-2016 05:20 PM)James D Wrote:  And the last question about reported brightness control issues after EDID override. Can I just edit EDID with CRU, then backup new EDID so I would reflash it in my notebook's monitor?
My notebook already has modded EDID with 72/88/96/60 Hz modes but it wasn't me who created it and 96Hz mode is kinda stroboscoping dark colors. So I planed to set LCD Reduced for 96Hz mode, then save newly modded EDID and flash it. I attached both now: the original and a backup after using CRU.
Yes, you can do that. I don't know if the EDID needs anything for brightness controls to work, but I don't see anything special in the original modded EDID, so the brightness controls should work after you flash it.

(06-26-2016 05:20 PM)James D Wrote:  Buuuuuuut edidreader.com says that new EDID has different Horizontal and Vertical sizes. Could that be the reason of some bugs? That CRU accidentally changes few other things and algorithm can be enhanced?
No, the driver doesn't use the image size in the detailed resolutions, so CRU just sets it to the resolution divided by 4 to keep editing simple. CRU doesn't change the image size information in the main part of the EDID.

(06-26-2016 05:20 PM)James D Wrote:  Well, it's the same laptop, I just took out fried Nvidia GPU and put AMD GPU known to be working in this laptop Smile
That's interesting. I didn't realize you just swapped the video card in the laptop. Then yeah, the panel should support the same timing parameters, but the GPU might have different limitations when dealing with internal displays.
06-27-2016, 04:34 AM
(06-24-2016 07:40 PM)executioner28 Wrote:  I have big problems using Asus MG278q and trying to get it to work on 144Hz @ 2560x1440 resolution. I have XFX 270X and tried both HDMI and dual DVI cables that came with the monitor. I also tried this CRU tool but nothing helped.
2560x1440 @ 144 Hz requires DisplayPort.

(06-24-2016 07:40 PM)executioner28 Wrote:  I used the AMD patcher and managed to unlock 100 and 120Hz. Happy about it. But let's try to get those 144Hz. Anybody?
You won't be able to get 144 Hz with DVI.