Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-29-2016, 08:08 PM (Last edited: 06-30-2016, 06:44 PM by cajampa)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hi, after some more tests I have found that the

LG EG920V 4k OLED can run up to max 77hz on 1080p & max 31hz on 2160p with my old non HDMI 2.0 capable Radeon 6970 with CRU.

I remember trying to find this exact info before i bought the display but i found nothing online, i hope it help someone because the 77hz is much nicer than plain old 60hz Smile

I have one irritating bug though that i had since before i tried CRU.

When i turn off the screen so the card dosen't have connection with the screen it thinks it is connected to an lower resolution screen like 1024x768 or something like that.
Windows makes that disconnected hardware sound and when it starts up again it often (always?) have my windows and icons moved to the smaller resolution.
It also happens when i switch hz. Like from 1080p 60hz to 77hz i see a quick image of the lower resolution and then it switches to the correct one.
When i restart the driver with restart.exe it also happens.

I had hoped that by removing all of those lower resolutions from CRU and in the custom extension i could fix that buy no unfortunately that didn't work.

The strange thing is i got 19 different resolutions below 1080p in windows and several more above before 2160p......why? Can i remove them somewhere?
And if i can't remove them somehow or fix this bug, is there someway to auto restore my screens windows & icons when the graphic card losses the connection with the screen? Like some program that fixes that, i know i have seen something about that but it was years ago and i didn't have that issue then. It is like if you pull out the HDMI cable to the card it shrinks all your windows and scrambles your icons.

Another question, is there someway to "unlock" the 4:2:0 2160p 60hz resolutions with my card, i know the screen can take it because it is there in the custom extension but i don't know how and if it is possible to activate from the PC. I think Nvidia added support for 4:2:0 right? but does AMD? I have seen some notices on that AMD may support it but how? Is it an option in the newer crimson driver for example?

And is there anything i can do in CRU to activate it? Like that surprising unlocking of 2160p 24hz-30hz i did by removing all the standard resolutions in CRU.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2016, 04:10 AM
(06-29-2016 08:08 PM)cajampa Wrote:  The strange thing is i got 19 different resolutions below 1080p in windows and several more above before 2160p......why? Can i remove them somewhere?
The video driver automatically adds some standard lower resolutions as scaled resolutions. Removing them wouldn't fix the problem because that would only apply when the TV is connected.

(06-29-2016 08:08 PM)cajampa Wrote:  And if i can't remove them somehow or fix this bug, is there someway to auto restore my screens windows & icons when the graphic card losses the connection with the screen? Like some program that fixes that, i know i have seen something about that but it was years ago and i didn't have that issue then. It is like if you pull out the HDMI cable to the card it shrinks all your windows and scrambles your icons.
I'm not sure if there's a software solution, but one way to avoid this problem is to use a device that continually transmits the EDID to trick the video card into thinking the TV is always connected. This is the cheapest one I've seen: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201584826571

(06-29-2016 08:08 PM)cajampa Wrote:  Another question, is there someway to "unlock" the 4:2:0 2160p 60hz resolutions with my card, i know the screen can take it because it is there in the custom extension but i don't know how and if it is possible to activate from the PC. I think Nvidia added support for 4:2:0 right? but does AMD? I have seen some notices on that AMD may support it but how? Is it an option in the newer crimson driver for example?
Only 7000-series and newer cards support YCbCr 4:2:0.
07-08-2016, 11:42 AM (Last edited: 07-09-2016, 03:45 PM by Akra1)
Hi, its nice to see that the developer is active here.
Ive been using CRU on my previous monitor with great success and I fail to do so on my new one.

Ok, solved the previous problem but now my monitor wont accept any kind of input other than 60 hertz.
When I set it to more than 60, I get a black screen with a floating "input not support".
Any idea here?
07-10-2016, 04:20 PM
(07-08-2016 11:42 AM)Akra1 Wrote:  Hi, its nice to see that the developer is active here.
Ive been using CRU on my previous monitor with great success and I fail to do so on my new one.

Ok, solved the previous problem but now my monitor wont accept any kind of input other than 60 hertz.
When I set it to more than 60, I get a black screen with a floating "input not support".
Any idea here?
What monitor are you talking about? What video card do you have? How is the monitor connected to the video card?
07-11-2016, 09:21 AM
(07-10-2016 04:20 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-08-2016 11:42 AM)Akra1 Wrote:  Hi, its nice to see that the developer is active here.

Any idea here?
What monitor are you talking about? What video card do you have? How is the monitor connected to the video card?
AOC P2460PXQ, connected with a DVI cable to an AMD 7950.
07-11-2016, 06:40 PM
(07-11-2016 09:21 AM)Akra1 Wrote:  AOC P2460PXQ, connected with a DVI cable to an AMD 7950.
1920x1200 monitors are usually not overclockable, and you'll need to patch the video driver to go higher than 165 MHz pixel clock with single-link DVI: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...ck-Patcher
07-12-2016, 02:39 AM
Bitstream audio over HDMI with Reduced Timing
CRU is awesome! However, I noticed an issue.

Resolutions using LCD Reduced timings seem to cause some of my bitstream audio formats to not work with my receiver. Mostly TrueHD and Atmos. In these cases the receiver reverts to Stereo. Using Other LCD timings work great. Is that a known issue? Is there a workaround?

Thanks,
Mike
07-14-2016, 03:54 PM
(07-12-2016 02:39 AM)youngm Wrote:  Resolutions using LCD Reduced timings seem to cause some of my bitstream audio formats to not work with my receiver. Mostly TrueHD and Atmos. In these cases the receiver reverts to Stereo. Using Other LCD timings work great. Is that a known issue? Is there a workaround?
Audio is transmitted during the blanking periods, so reducing the blanking reduces the amount of data that can be sent.
07-15-2016, 05:25 PM (Last edited: 07-15-2016, 05:31 PM by RealNC)
Hello Toasty!

I found a strange issue with CRU (1.2.6) and the timings it produces. I'm using a monitor that goes up to 77Hz (it's an old Samsung XL2370). Setting up a 1920x1080 77Hz mode in the nvidia control panel works perfectly when using reduced timings. The monitor OSD shows 77Hz and indeed an FPS counter with vsync on shows 77FPS. So I know it's working.

However, the modes created in the nvidia panel are not always recognized by games. Even worse, those modes don't work if I enable DSR (4K downscaling).

CRU to the rescue. But setting 1920x1080 77Hz and reduced timings results in a black screen and the monitor OSD pops up, saying it doesn't recognize the input signal. So the CRU-generated timings are different than the nvidia ones, which do work fine! If I use 1920x1080 76Hz with reduced timings, that works. But I'd like to get that "last lousy Hz" out of it ;-)

Is there a way I can use the exact same timings as generated by the nvidia panel (which work fine) and import them into CRU, so that I can get a working 77Hz mode set as a primary mode?
07-15-2016, 06:40 PM
(07-15-2016 05:25 PM)RealNC Wrote:  CRU to the rescue. But setting 1920x1080 77Hz and reduced timings results in a black screen and the monitor OSD pops up, saying it doesn't recognize the input signal. So the CRU-generated timings are different than the nvidia ones, which do work fine! If I use 1920x1080 76Hz with reduced timings, that works. But I'd like to get that "last lousy Hz" out of it ;-)

Is there a way I can use the exact same timings as generated by the nvidia panel (which work fine) and import them into CRU, so that I can get a working 77Hz mode set as a primary mode?
"LCD standard" should be the same as CVT-RB except for TV resolutions like 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz.