Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-26-2016, 09:30 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hey all. I was pointed to this app during the course of my attempts to fix a color subsampling issue I'm having with my new Nvidia card. It's apparently a very old, well-established flaw with how Nvidia handles HDTVs as opposed to monitors. The drivers essentially assume the TV can't handle 4:4:4 and thus refuse to pass full color to the display device under any circumstance. One fellow says he fixed this problem by opening CRU, editing his 1080p profile to the "LCD - Reduced" preset, and restarting.

I admit that the advised procedure here feels, to me, arbitrary and unrelated to chroma subsampling, but I gave it a whirl. In fact I tried all the presets. But I didn't have the same results. He recommended I ask here to see if any of the experts might have insight into what I could try. Originally, all I was seeking was a valid method for modifying the EDID for this TV in Nvidia's drivers, in order to trick the drivers into believing they were dealing with a monitor. This very hack is known to solve the issue, but unfortunately the instructions for achieving the hack are so old that they no longer quite apply in 2016; I would need to know which file to edit and what exactly to add to it, and that part of the instructions hails from 2008.

Before anyone asks: Yes, my TV does accept 4:4:4 just fine. My previous card, an AMD R9 290X, gave me zero issues providing full color. I also have a very old laptop on standby which is also perfectly capable of providing full color. Same port, same HDMI cable. Yes, I know how to test whether it's working or not. It's not the TV. It is the Nvidia drivers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2016, 12:19 AM
(07-26-2016 09:30 PM)Asterra Wrote:  Hey all. I was pointed to this app during the course of my attempts to fix a color subsampling issue I'm having with my new Nvidia card. It's apparently a very old, well-established flaw with how Nvidia handles HDTVs as opposed to monitors. The drivers essentially assume the TV can't handle 4:4:4 and thus refuse to pass full color to the display device under any circumstance.
Are you talking about RGB 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:4:4? RGB should always be available. What color formats does the NVIDIA control panel let you set?

(07-26-2016 09:30 PM)Asterra Wrote:  One fellow says he fixed this problem by opening CRU, editing his 1080p profile to the "LCD - Reduced" preset, and restarting.

I admit that the advised procedure here feels, to me, arbitrary and unrelated to chroma subsampling, but I gave it a whirl. In fact I tried all the presets. But I didn't have the same results.
Using the "LCD reduced" timing parameters might cause the driver to treat it as a PC resolution, which would force RGB 4:4:4, so that might be what he was seeing. If you're not seeing any changes, did you make sure to choose the "Custom extension block" option? NVIDIA doesn't support the "Default extension block" option and will ignore any changes unless you override the extension block. If you need YCbCr 4:4:4, you need to add an HDMI support data block in the custom extension block, or import one of the hdmi.dat files in the main post.

(07-26-2016 09:30 PM)Asterra Wrote:  He recommended I ask here to see if any of the experts might have insight into what I could try. Originally, all I was seeking was a valid method for modifying the EDID for this TV in Nvidia's drivers, in order to trick the drivers into believing they were dealing with a monitor.
TVs and monitors are treated the same way. There's nothing in the EDID that indicates whether it's a TV or a monitor. The driver might treat TV resolutions differently if there's an HDMI support data block, but that applies to monitors as well.
07-27-2016, 12:24 AM
(07-25-2016 09:20 PM)fenomeno83 Wrote:  I've a Sony Vaio Notebook with Intel core I5 M430 2.27GHZ, Windows 10 64 bit, 4GB Ram and Graphic card AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series (Amd Catalyst control center version 2015.1104.1643.30033).

I need to connect pc to my 4K tv (hisense 42k680) using HDMI.
I've installed patch and CRU (setting 3840 × 2160 60HZ (I tryed 3840 × 2160 30HZ too)).

IT WORKS (my tv goes to 2160p)!!!
But refresh is slow; seems like when graphic card drivers are not installed, MOUSE HAS LAG. CPU is not too much stressed; but maybe 2160p is too much high for my graphic card?
3840x2160 @ 60 Hz requires HDMI 2.0 or YCbCr 4:2:0, which isn't possible with a 5000-series GPU, but 30 Hz should be possible. Keep in mind that 30 Hz will appear choppy because it's half the frame rate, and if the TV buffers frames, there will be twice as much lag (3 frames of lag @ 30 Hz = 100 ms). Apparently Hisense TVs are known to have much more lag than that, making them unusable for PC and gaming use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGOXH-kBZm0
07-27-2016, 12:25 AM
(07-25-2016 07:57 PM)derder1167 Wrote:  How do I know which monitor it is? I have 2 hp pavilion 23xi, one connected through dual link dvi, the other through HDMi. One is named in the utility HWP3032, the other HWP3031. How do I know which one is it? Is it the monitor number in the control panel?
Disconnect one of the monitors. The one that's still connected should have the "(active)" status.
07-27-2016, 12:30 AM
(07-25-2016 12:06 PM)Kaneele Wrote:  I would appreciate your help - I upgraded to windows 8.1 and my computer resolution, like many people here, is messed up. I used to be 1920x1080 on my windows 7, but now the maximum it lets me to do is 1600x1200 and it looks horrible.

I see that most people post their specs so I hope these are correct (I took them off Speccy):

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @332 MHz
Graphics: Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1600x1200 @64 Hz) NVIDIA (with microsoft basic display adapter)
"Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" means you need to install the drivers for your video card: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

You shouldn't need to use CRU to add the native resolution unless there's a problem with the EDID.
07-27-2016, 01:46 AM
(07-25-2016 07:00 AM)BLUuuE Wrote:  I found that my minimum horizontal blanking is 56. Does it matter what front, sync and back timings are? Like is there a difference between 8/8/40 and 16/16/24 ?
That depends on the monitor. Usually it doesn't matter. Just use whatever works.

The 56 limit is actually a driver limit that was added last year, but I haven't found a way around it. The monitor can probably go lower.
07-27-2016, 01:50 AM
(07-21-2016 12:46 PM)Veshil Wrote:  Hey, could I have some help please? No matter what I do, I can't see resolutions in windows or in AMD catalyst to set refresh to higher than 60fps. I've set both the detailed and standard to 1920x1080@65, 70 and 75hz but none of them show up after restarting.
What monitor is this? How is the monitor connected to the video card? What timing parameters did you use? Use detailed resolutions only. Don't add higher refresh rates at the native resolution as standard resolutions.
07-27-2016, 01:52 AM
(07-20-2016 02:37 PM)ispanec Wrote:  hey every1, i used CRU and AMD PixelClock patcher for refresh rates till 75hz (monitor AOC e2460s), but for now i cannot strecth my resolution in game(csgo) only 4:3, in monitor setting this function not available. any suggestions ?
Use GPU scaling, and make sure the scaling mode is set to "Full panel" in Radeon Settings.
07-27-2016, 02:21 AM
Hi, I've read a lot of the post here but can't figure out why my custom resolutions don't show up after reboot. The only thing I can think of is that I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 with just the Mobo graphics Radeon 3000. My monitor is a Dell U2415 1920 x 1200 60Hz. I'd like to run it at the same resolution but increase the refresh rate. I've tried several things, including running the ATI Pixel Clock Patcher, but with no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks.
07-27-2016, 02:53 AM
(07-27-2016 12:19 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Using the "LCD reduced" timing parameters might cause the driver to treat it as a PC resolution, which would force RGB 4:4:4, so that might be what he was seeing. If you're not seeing any changes, did you make sure to choose the "Custom extension block" option? NVIDIA doesn't support the "Default extension block" option and will ignore any changes unless you override the extension block. If you need YCbCr 4:4:4, you need to add an HDMI support data block in the custom extension block, or import one of the hdmi.dat files in the main post.
Well what do you know. Making that change actually corrected the problem and I now, finally, have 4:4:4 from my new Nvidia card. Thank you for the pointer.

I am just really, really lucky that this app exists because the only other solution was to begin musical chairs with adaptive displayport-to-HDMI adapters and hope I got one that actually worked, as reportedly most of them don't actually fool the Nvidia drivers.