Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-04-2016, 04:08 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-04-2016 01:43 AM)onix Wrote:  It's quite possible the DP functionality of the monitor does not work at all.
You may be right about that. I wasn't going to suspect the monitor since you're getting a signal, but I found some information that suggests the HP ZR2740w has a design flaw that requires using a special DisplayPort cable in some cases:

http://superuser.com/questions/1003331/h...g-together
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Vid...-p/5056327

This mostly affects people using docking stations, but it's possible the same issue affects connecting the monitor to some computers. This only affects DisplayPort. DVI is definitely not affected.

(10-04-2016 01:43 AM)onix Wrote:  I am able to get the full resolution if I use a DVI-to-DVI connection from a MacBook on OSX (no virtual machine).

Two Lnovo laptops with Windows 7 & 10 recognize the name of the monitor in the Device Manager, but when attached to DVI, whether via conversion from DP (with a passive adapter) or via HDMI-to-DVI, the highest selectable resolution is 1280 x 720, like the thread linked in my original post describes.
Passive DP-to-DVI adapters and HDMI-to-DVI adapters are always single-link. That's why 2560x1440 is not available. Laptops usually don't have dual-link DVI. The 2007 MacBook Pro is a rare exception.

(10-04-2016 01:43 AM)onix Wrote:  The Lenovo X1 Carbon (gen 4) is using only the native Intel GPU, and a Lenovo T430s has an NVIDIA chip (NVS 5200M). Neither have any luck with higher resolutions on the HP monitor.
The Lenovo T430s has switchable graphics, so the Intel GPU controls what resolutions are available. Intel GPUs do not support dual-link DVI, even on desktop computers.

(10-04-2016 01:43 AM)onix Wrote:  I have a docking station for the T430s that has DVI out. I will have to try that out.

Incidentally, I know it is not my DP cable, since I can get it to work with other monitors.
Unfortunately, docking stations usually have single-link DVI, and using DisplayPort requires that special cable:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht101460 (solution 4)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2016, 05:38 PM
(10-04-2016 04:08 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-04-2016 01:43 AM)onix Wrote:  It's quite possible the DP functionality of the monitor does not work at all.
You may be right about that. I wasn't going to suspect the monitor since you're getting a signal, but I found some information that suggests the HP ZR2740w has a design flaw that requires using a special DisplayPort cable in some cases:

http://superuser.com/questions/1003331/h...g-together
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Vid...-p/5056327

This mostly affects people using docking stations, but it's possible the same issue affects connecting the monitor to some computers. This only affects DisplayPort. DVI is definitely not affected.

(10-04-2016 01:43 AM)onix Wrote:  I am able to get the full resolution if I use a DVI-to-DVI connection from a MacBook on OSX (no virtual machine).

Two Lnovo laptops with Windows 7 & 10 recognize the name of the monitor in the Device Manager, but when attached to DVI, whether via conversion from DP (with a passive adapter) or via HDMI-to-DVI, the highest selectable resolution is 1280 x 720, like the thread linked in my original post describes.
Passive DP-to-DVI adapters and HDMI-to-DVI adapters are always single-link. That's why 2560x1440 is not available. Laptops usually don't have dual-link DVI. The 2007 MacBook Pro is a rare exception.

(10-04-2016 01:43 AM)onix Wrote:  The Lenovo X1 Carbon (gen 4) is using only the native Intel GPU, and a Lenovo T430s has an NVIDIA chip (NVS 5200M). Neither have any luck with higher resolutions on the HP monitor.
The Lenovo T430s has switchable graphics, so the Intel GPU controls what resolutions are available. Intel GPUs do not support dual-link DVI, even on desktop computers.

(10-04-2016 01:43 AM)onix Wrote:  I have a docking station for the T430s that has DVI out. I will have to try that out.

Incidentally, I know it is not my DP cable, since I can get it to work with other monitors.
Unfortunately, docking stations usually have single-link DVI, and using DisplayPort requires that special cable:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht101460 (solution 4)

Humbly, thank you. Donation more than deserving.
10-06-2016, 02:10 PM
Hello, I apologize for having as first post a request of help...
Anyway I recently got a new 4k TV it's a Sony 49XD8305 or X800D if you're in the US.
I connected it with a hdmi to my GTX 970 there're no receiver it's connected directly to the GPU and in the control panel it's showing as native resolution this one: 1920x1080p 60hz I can chose 3840x2160p 60hz but since it's not native I think it's not displaling it correctly.
By looking online I found out that the TV is sending an incorrect EDID to the GPU that result in the wrong native resolution, can CRU fix this?
I tried messing around with it for a while but can't get the 3840x2160p resolution to show up as native in the control panel.
10-07-2016, 05:09 AM
(10-06-2016 02:10 PM)Keys Wrote:  Hello, I apologize for having as first post a request of help...
Anyway I recently got a new 4k TV it's a Sony 49XD8305 or X800D if you're in the US.
I connected it with a hdmi to my GTX 970 there're no receiver it's connected directly to the GPU and in the control panel it's showing as native resolution this one: 1920x1080p 60hz I can chose 3840x2160p 60hz but since it's not native I think it's not displaling it correctly.
By looking online I found out that the TV is sending an incorrect EDID to the GPU that result in the wrong native resolution, can CRU fix this?
I tried messing around with it for a while but can't get the 3840x2160p resolution to show up as native in the control panel.
The reported native resolution shouldn't matter as long as you can set 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz in the Windows screen resolution settings.

If you want to fix this with CRU, the first detailed resolution is considered the native resolution. If you need to add it manually, use the "LCD native" timing option.

For HDMI 2.0 support, you'll need to add an extension block with both HDMI support and HDMI 2.0 support data blocks using the new preview version of CRU: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...preview-P2

If you need HDMI audio, add an audio formats data block and add the LPCM audio format with the default options.
10-07-2016, 01:22 PM
It worked now in the control panel I see the 3840x2160p as native resolution, the only thing that I wasn't doing when I was trying it by myself was putting 3840x2160p on top as detailed resolution. Thanks!
10-08-2016, 06:40 PM
I have a 1080p HDTV with a native panel resolution of 120Hz.
My Nvidia control panel allows me to successfully create a new 120hz screen resolution. Some text is blurry on things like driver update Windows.
Will CRU utility do anything differently from creating the custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel?
I have tried to use it before and ended up with black screen, luckily i have a Windows 10 restore disk so was able to quickly restore a previous setup.
If CRU utility will provide a better outcome with better latency then I'll try it but would appreciate some clearer instructions as those in the OP didn't work for me. Thanks.
10-09-2016, 04:46 AM
(10-08-2016 06:40 PM)Globespy Wrote:  I have a 1080p HDTV with a native panel resolution of 120Hz.
My Nvidia control panel allows me to successfully create a new 120hz screen resolution. Some text is blurry on things like driver update Windows.
Will CRU utility do anything differently from creating the custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel?
It shouldn't matter if the timing parameters are the same, but some games will not recognize the refresh rate unless you use CRU.

(10-08-2016 06:40 PM)Globespy Wrote:  I have tried to use it before and ended up with black screen, luckily i have a Windows 10 restore disk so was able to quickly restore a previous setup.
If CRU utility will provide a better outcome with better latency then I'll try it but would appreciate some clearer instructions as those in the OP didn't work for me. Thanks.
If you use restart.exe and get a black screen, you should be able to press F8 to recover. If not, you can undo the changes in safe mode.

Make sure to add HDMI support:
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
  • Some monitor/GPU combinations can bypass the 165 MHz HDMI limit without patching the driver by importing one of these extension block files:
10-09-2016, 12:48 PM
I think it'd be useful to add a warning when adding a resolution that corresponds to horisontal frequency out of monitor's range, at least for the first time. The range values are not easy to notice to newbies IMO.
10-09-2016, 05:03 PM (Last edited: 10-09-2016, 05:05 PM by Globespy)
F8 didn't work and with current UEFI BIOS on new motherboards it's no longer possible to boot into safe mode when the OS is on a SSD (as in my case). The only option is to use a Windows recovery drive (thankfully I had one) or do a fresh install of Windows. I'm assuming of you have 64 bit windows you use restart64.exe? I don't think my HDTV can do any custom resolutions, I don't think I'll try anything over its native 120hz. I didn't understand the Nvidia block stuff? In that section it was blank but the box said I had 123 blocks available. I wish there was a video 'how-to' with Nvidia cards and HDTV monitors. That would be really helpful. I'm a little afraid to try again as I almost borked my system last time around. I consider myself reasonably tech savvy, so I agree with the last post that complete noobs will end up in a bunch of trouble if they don't have a backup drive. Might be worth putting that in the OP that F8 may not work and newer systems using SSD will not be able to have BIOS boot into safe mode.
10-09-2016, 08:12 PM
(10-09-2016 12:48 PM)GeneralFailer Wrote:  I think it'd be useful to add a warning when adding a resolution that corresponds to horisontal frequency out of monitor's range, at least for the first time. The range values are not easy to notice to newbies IMO.
The range limits are not reliable. There's no way to know what the monitor can actually handle without trying it. That's why restart.exe has a recovery mode option.