Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-30-2016, 06:55 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-30-2016 10:18 AM)SweetLow Wrote:  >The first number seems to be port-based
The solution is obvious (and used if you read links): this port numbers lay between 0 and 10, maximal value which i see is 9 for eDP connection. So we can simply set all of it.
That is not a solution. That affects all monitors with the same vendor/product ID. What if there are two of the same monitor? CRU would list two monitors, but changing one would affect the other. How will I know this will happen ahead of time? How would I reflect this in the UI?

CRU is monitor-based while this method is GPU-based, so how do I mix the two without adding confusion?

(10-30-2016 10:18 AM)SweetLow Wrote:  >What if there are two of the same monitor? Which belongs to which?
This is first problem for full automation. Not for manual installation if we will give user method to set this port.
So you want to give the user an option to set a number that they won't know what to set? You're ignoring the usability aspect of this. People already have enough trouble following instructions. How would I add this to the UI without making it more confusing?

I'm not trying to fight this. I'm just trying to think of a good way to implement this without confusing people, and I need a way to test it.

(10-30-2016 10:18 AM)SweetLow Wrote:  >How will this conflict when the new drivers support EDID overrides?
When intel will support microsoft way - we will use microsoft way. But Intel drivers method work under XP - which never be covered by microsoft.
How will I know which systems to use the new method and which systems to use the old method? If I offer the user a choice, where do I offer this choice?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2016, 06:58 PM
(10-30-2016 02:44 PM)ManiacOfMadness Wrote:  Unfortunately, I have problems with the 49.950hz not showing as an option in the available frame rates, and with the 47.952hz getting an "out of range" message on my monitor.
Is there anything I can try, or have I hit a hardware limitation?
"Out of range" is always a hardware limitation. If the monitor can't do 47.952 Hz, try 71.928 Hz.

There's no way to list both 50 Hz and 49.950 Hz with CRU because Windows can only list refresh rates as integers and the driver will round up 49.950 Hz to 50 Hz. You can try using 74.925 Hz instead of 49.950 Hz.
10-30-2016, 07:07 PM
(10-30-2016 06:05 PM)Nitro75 Wrote:  Hello, everyone! I'm new to this board and would like share with everybody a problem i've been having and hopefully someone on these forums could help me out. I would greatly appreciate it.
OK, so i have a Sony 4K HDTV, the model is XBR49x830c. I have my PC with a GTX 1080 graphics card connected to an A/V receiver, which is a Pioneer VSX-90 receiver. My Sony TV is suppose to be a native 3840 x 2160 display. Now, the problem is that the TV is showing up on my desktop and the Nvidia Control panel as 1080P being the recommended and native resolution for my TV, even though both my receiver and my TV are both suppose to be native 4K. I've set my receiver and my TV to accept 4:4:4 chroma, I have an HDMI 2.0 cable connected to everything, i tried setting my PC display to 3840 x 2160 but it still doesn't show up as a native resolution in the display settings. Did i get a defective TV? Is there any way to solve this problem with the custom resolution utility program and if it can, could somebody be nice enough to walk me through this process of how to set it up?..Thank You for your time.
The first detailed resolution reported by the monitor is considered the native resolution. The reported native resolution shouldn't matter if 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz is available and it displays correctly. If you want to fix this with CRU, you'll have to use a custom extension block with HDMI support and HDMI 2.0 support and the required audio formats. The next version of CRU will make this easier because it will read that information from the monitor/receiver. I will be releasing it today or tomorrow.
10-31-2016, 12:07 AM
Music RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hello, I just started to try to use CRU for Windows 10 (as it didn't have my resolution I wanted) and it is not working for me. I put it on Custom extension block and added the resolutions I wanted and ran restart 64. Nothing happened. My graphics driver restarted but it didn't change resolutions. Am I doing something wrong? I have included a screenshot.

[Image: sTI4Df.png]
10-31-2016, 12:51 AM
(10-31-2016 12:07 AM)VinLark Wrote:  Hello, I just started to try to use CRU for Windows 10 (as it didn't have my resolution I wanted) and it is not working for me. I put it on Custom extension block and added the resolutions I wanted and ran restart 64. Nothing happened. My graphics driver restarted but it didn't change resolutions. Am I doing something wrong? I have included a screenshot.
"Generic Non-PnP Monitor" means the driver couldn't read the EDID from the monitor. What monitor is this? What video card do you have?
11-01-2016, 09:55 AM
>CRU would list two monitors, but changing one would affect the other.
From my point of view having different modes for identical models on the same PC is very rare case. But not zero probability, of course.

>You're ignoring the usability aspect of this. People already have enough trouble following instructions. How would I add this to the UI without making it more confusing?
Are you prefer to fully reject possibility in favor of simplicity? To solve "users are not reading readme" - you can make this mode not allowed by default .

>I'm not trying to fight this. I'm just trying to think of a good way to implement this without confusing people, and I need a way to test it.
As i am developer too i understand this. But testing is not so great problem IMHO.

>How will I know which systems to use the new method and which systems to use the old method? If I offer the user a choice, where do I offer this choice?
See comment above + 3 options (Default, Intel Only, Both simultaneously). In last case driver itself will select prefer method.

P.S. My posts here is just a suggestion to expand the functionality of useful software. I can do manually all it can do and more (as you can see).
11-01-2016, 06:38 PM
ToastyX,
Quote:The video card will not reduce clock speeds when idle if the vertical blanking/total is too low. Horizontal values can still be reduced if necessary.

AMD/ATI cards require the "LCD standard" vertical blanking/total to reduce the memory clock when idle.

I used these timings for quite some time on HD 5870, and, as expected, they caused the memory clock not to drop in idle. The card stayed at 400/1200 instead of 157/300, using DXVA would cause it to go 400/900 with a temporary screen corruption (a horizontal line at the top).

However, with the exact same timings the RX 480 drops the memory clocks just normally and w\o any visible screen corruption, just like at 60hz with standard timings Confused
11-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Many thanks!!
11-02-2016, 02:29 PM (Last edited: 11-02-2016, 03:07 PM by Kelnok902)
Hi,

So I just received my QNIX QHD2710R MULTI 27" LED 2560x1440 QHD QX2710 Multi New Monitor from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pixel-QN...wZVlXwATL. I am trying to boost the refresh rate to 75/95/120HZ after I set the resolution in CRU reboot but it never shows up... I am hooking to a XFX R9 380 via DL-DVI. I must be missing something but my search has come up empty. I have the QNIX driver installed and everything.

Full System Spec:
Intel® Core™ i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
16GB DDR3 Ram
AMD Radeon ™ R9 380 Series
MSI z97 gaming 5 mother board
Roswell Gold 1K wat PSU

EDIT: I fixed it with the pixel patcher I thought I did this.
11-02-2016, 04:20 PM (Last edited: 11-02-2016, 04:21 PM by NickV)
(09-30-2016 05:02 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  ...the cable is not as good as it claims.

This was it. A handmade in Sweden 18Gbps+ extra quality series cable did the trick.

(09-30-2016 05:02 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  If you want to try CRU with HDMI 2.0, you need to add an HDMI support data block AND an HDMI 2.0 support data block in the extension block [with this] version of CRU: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...preview-P2

CRU should not change anything that you didn't change.

I suggest looking through these....

Yes everything exactly as you said. The final factor was simply a prudent update from Steam on their VR software - I know, right.

Thanks again.

You did what the real, good people do on the net - random acts of kindness - far and away from any 'shining armours and high horses'.

I'll be hanging around.