Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
01-10-2017, 04:22 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(01-07-2017 08:50 AM)xod Wrote:  Thanks for the feedback. Btw, do you know of any article/text, with any possible math restricted to basic highschool level, to gain an understanding of all the parameters ?
Understanding the timing parameters won't help you figure out what works. If the standard timing parameters don't work, then there's no way to know what will work without trial and error. For the most part, the values don't matter much as long as the monitor can handle them.

Blanking = front porch + sync width + back porch
Total = active + blanking

Blanking is the period between each line (horizontal blanking) and each refresh (vertical blanking). Blanking was basically designed to give CRT monitors time to move the electron gun. LCD monitors don't need as much time to process the signal, so they can handle lower values.

The sync width is the duration of the sync pulse. The front and back porches are basically padding before and after the sync pulse. The sync polarity determines whether the sync pulse goes up or down in voltage. Most monitors don't care either way.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2017, 06:40 PM
(01-10-2017 04:02 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  If that didn't help, try running restart.exe and click the "Recovery mode" button. Then exit and reboot. That should reset the Windows screen resolution settings. Then try setting 89 Hz and see if it sticks after rebooting.

Although it was set to 89hz, the 'not connected' indication remains. It also recognizes 60Hz on the OSD of the monitor. In fact, since it was not fixed at 75hz from any moment, it was already in this situation before the implementation of the method you gave me and sometimes it was recognized as 89(90)hz on the OSD. Sometimes there is no 'no connection' indication.
01-11-2017, 12:02 AM
(01-10-2017 04:22 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Understanding the timing parameters won't help you figure out what works. If the standard timing parameters don't work, then there's no way to know what will work without trial and error. For the most part, the values don't matter much as long as the monitor can handle them.

Blanking = front porch + sync width + back porch
Total = active + blanking

Blanking is the period between each line (horizontal blanking) and each refresh (vertical blanking). Blanking was basically designed to give CRT monitors time to move the electron gun. LCD monitors don't need as much time to process the signal, so they can handle lower values.

The sync width is the duration of the sync pulse. The front and back porches are basically padding before and after the sync pulse. The sync polarity determines whether the sync pulse goes up or down in voltage. Most monitors don't care either way.

Thanks for the reply, although the answer creates further questions. But I suppose I will find and read the info that exists out there. Thanks again.
01-11-2017, 03:34 AM (Last edited: 01-11-2017, 04:16 AM by ScootaLewis)
(01-10-2017 04:04 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 08:16 PM)ScootaLewis Wrote:  I just bought a used Samsung SyncMaster SMS22A100N Monitor, and I've connected it to my PC via VGA - using my PC's integrated graphics, since my dedicated graphics card has no VGA slots.

And it's been nothing but trouble.

I cannot get the resolution to sit right! Every time I go to chance it i'm stuck with either 1600x1200 or 1900x1440 or something ridiculous in between - 16:9 just doesn't seem to exist for this thing, despite the user manual listing it.

I've downloaded CRU 1.3 to try and force a resolution but no matter what I do 1920x1080 doesn't appear anywhere. I've tried basic resolution settings, advanced resolution settings and even display mode.
That monitor should be plug and play unless something's wrong with the EDID or the cable. Is the integrated graphics Intel? CRU uses EDID overrides, and Intel is currently working on adding support for EDID overrides. Intel recently released a test driver that allows CRU to work on some systems: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloa...est-Driver

You might be better off using an active HDMI to VGA adapter like this one:

That adapter will provide its own EDID with 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz if the monitor's EDID isn't available.

Thank you very much. My processor is AMD with HD6530 integrated graphics. Also of note is that the monitor in question only has a VGA port - I've been considering VGA to DVI so I can have both monitors running through the same card. Do you think that would work? I'd need DVI-I, right?

EDIT: a quick check shows that my graphics card has two DVI-D ports, and HDMI port, and another port I'm not sure about. There's no way to take DVI-D output and turn it into VGA for a display, is there?

DOUBLE EDIT: Thanks for your suggestions, but I actually managed to fix the problem with no third party software necessary! All I had to to was notice that the integrated display device I was using for my second monitor was being reported as "not working" by windows - a quick look up of the error code gave me an easy fix. Reinstall the driver. That's it. Now I have 2x 1080p monitors Big Grin
01-11-2017, 08:16 AM
Hey,
I tried the steps of the first post, without success.

First, before I can ask about the how to and what I have done wrong, please let me check if it is actually possible to use my monitor in 120 HZ mode.

I am using the Samsung Syncmaster TA950. I found out that the monitor is capable of showing 120hz but only from its own internal TV-Source(?!).
There are, regarding to the data-sheet, two HDMI 1.4 inputs. AFAIK HDMI 1.4 can do 1080p @ 120Hz?

=> So is it possible to use the 120hz mode with this monitor?
I am using a Geforce GTX 1070 asus dual OC btw.

Right now I can only use the monitor in 60 Hz mode.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate that.
01-11-2017, 03:29 PM
I tried over locking my Asus monitor using Custom Resolution Utility and used this guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/1493866/guide...ur-monitor
I increased the refresh rate in increments of 5 from the base 60Hertz refresh rate, up to 90 Hertz (which I later read wasn't possible) and hit ok, after that, i restarted my computer as the guide said, but once it finished restarting, it displayed the "out of range" message. I did not have the ability to follow the rest of the guide and change refresh rate via display settings.

I tried booting my computer in safe mode and changing display settings there, and display adapter settings but with no avail. I also tried tinkering CRU in safe mode but when I restart, my monitor still says out of range.

I am using Asus vg245h monitor.
01-11-2017, 04:24 PM
(01-11-2017 03:29 PM)Auauaiuaua Wrote:  I tried booting my computer in safe mode and changing display settings there, and display adapter settings but with no avail. I also tried tinkering CRU in safe mode but when I restart, my monitor still says out of range.
Run reset-all.exe in safe mode.
01-11-2017, 04:28 PM
(01-11-2017 08:16 AM)Reineke Wrote:  I am using the Samsung Syncmaster TA950. I found out that the monitor is capable of showing 120hz but only from its own internal TV-Source(?!).
There are, regarding to the data-sheet, two HDMI 1.4 inputs. AFAIK HDMI 1.4 can do 1080p @ 120Hz?
HDMI 1.4 can do 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz, but that doesn't mean the monitor can. I don't think that monitor supports 120 Hz input. The only way to know for sure is to test it.
01-11-2017, 05:04 PM
(01-10-2017 06:40 PM)Altberta Wrote:  Although it was set to 89hz, the 'not connected' indication remains. It also recognizes 60Hz on the OSD of the monitor. In fact, since it was not fixed at 75hz from any moment, it was already in this situation before the implementation of the method you gave me and sometimes it was recognized as 89(90)hz on the OSD. Sometimes there is no 'no connection' indication.
What driver are you using? If the Windows refresh rate is set to 89 Hz, then the video card should be sending 89 Hz. If not, that would be a driver bug, or the monitor isn't reporting the refresh rate correctly. Make sure FreeSync is enabled.
01-11-2017, 05:28 PM
Exclamation RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hello ToastyX,

I get an "Access Violation at Adress 76019B60 in module msvcrt.dll.
Read of adress [different adresses but they are repeating]."

Followed by an "Access Violation in CRU.exe. Read of adress 000000BB."

My Computer is on Win7 (not SP1) and has an AMD Radeon HD 6570M inside.
Graphics Driver is up to date (that's what Catalyst says).
I tried with and without external monitor, closing all unnecessary Processes but no difference.
Sometimes instead of the second error message i get the message "EAccess Violation."

The GUI starts up after that but everytime I click inside a white field or on a button to edit/save something, it gives another Access Violation message.

Thought first to just give it up but maybe it's interesting for your development/other people.

Best greets!