Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-17-2013, 12:16 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-16-2013 05:06 PM)bertuslakkis Wrote:  Currently I only use the 8 Standard resolutions for my two Compaq P1220's (Detailed resolutions are blank) I do it like this for this reason:
In games where you cannot select your refresh rate, it doesn't force them if I use Detailed resolutions.
Is this the intended behavior? If not then how should I use Detailed resolutions vs Standard resolutions?
That's weird. Detailed resolutions are supposed to have higher priority. Normally I would define the highest resolutions as detailed resolutions, but if that causes lower resolutions to use the wrong refresh rate, then try defining the resolutions with the highest refresh rates as detailed resolutions with the highest one first. Also, make sure GPU scaling is disabled.

(08-16-2013 05:06 PM)bertuslakkis Wrote:  Is there a way to get more then 8 Standard resolutions? Maybe disable some of the Established resolutions?
CRU uses EDID overrides, and the base EDID only has 8 slots for standard resolutions. It's possible to add more by reserving a detailed resolution slot, but CRU doesn't have that ability because it's tricky to implement and not commonly used.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2013, 12:21 AM
(08-16-2013 10:45 PM)MEW2K Wrote:  The refresh rates are listed in Nvidia CP, but as I want the monitor to run at lets say 96hz in games as well, it wouldn´t work to change it within Nvidia CP right?
I don't know because that's not supposed to happen. It's like the driver is aware of the refresh rates but didn't tell Windows about them.

Try disabling SLI and rebooting, then check CRU to see if the refresh rates are still there. If not, add the refresh rates, then enable SLI and reboot.

If that doesn't help, try installing this: https://www.monitortests.com/x-star.zip

Install it using the Device Manager: Right-click "Generic PnP Monitor" -> Update Driver Software... -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> Have Disk... -> Browse for the .inf file -> OK -> Next -> Install this driver software anyway
08-17-2013, 01:17 PM (Last edited: 08-17-2013, 01:28 PM by Stylook)
(08-17-2013 12:09 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-15-2013 11:19 PM)Stylook Wrote:  Strange thing is that now my 120hz under native is a bit inconsistently unstable, some lines started to appear on Desktop, games at 120hz BF3 & SC2 lines are starting to appear more obviously. Strange is that when used the NVCP customs the BF3 120hz selected was ok. I guest I need to slowly adjust the config.
Check to see if you're using the same timing parameters. "LCD standard" timing in CRU uses too much bandwidth at 120 Hz. "LCD reduced" timing uses less bandwidth, but the video card might not clock down when idle if the vertical blanking is too low.

The NVIDIA control panel on "Automatic" uses the timing parameters for 60 Hz, which has a vertical total of 1481. You can probably set that to 1475 while still allowing the video card to clock down. I believe the QNIX can handle a horizontal total of 2664, which would reduce the bandwidth further.

(08-15-2013 11:19 PM)Stylook Wrote:  By the way, why only allowed 4 detailed resolutions to be put into the native? Is the reason just to use one highest possible resolution to be put into the native?
CRU uses EDID overrides, and the base EDID only has four slots for detailed timing descriptors. It's possible to add more by creating an extension block, but CRU doesn't have that functionality yet. I plan to add that ability eventually.

HI ToastyX, hey thanks man for that. I deleted 110hz to 120hz from the CRU and go back to NVCP to put in the 120hz value manually. It does great, it's stable now in BF3 but in the SC2, there is a slight appearance of green line not very obvious now, so I must be close. I am not sure what should I adjust from here, the horizontal or the vertical. At present I am using Catleap monitor driver, should I change to Qnix inf driver file found in this thread? I see that there are some difference in the value when I open the edit Qnix inf file and the Catleap inf file just to take a look.

By the way, when I install the CRU and put in the refresh rates, I also have the same problem with MEW2K, that in the windows screen resolution, it doesn't show all the higher refresh rate 96hz to 120hz. I don't know if this matter or not, or affect any games. But when I use the NVCP custom, the windows screen resolution under advance does show all the higher refresh rate. I am using EVGA GTX 690 gpu card. Just to inform you.
08-17-2013, 04:13 PM
(08-17-2013 01:17 PM)Stylook Wrote:  I am not sure what should I adjust from here, the horizontal or the vertical.
Vertical total can be reduced further. I don't know how low you can go before it affects clocking down on idle with 600-series GPUs. If you don't care about that, the vertical total can be reduced to 1450 or lower with the vertical front porch and sync width set to 1.

(08-17-2013 01:17 PM)Stylook Wrote:  At present I am using Catleap monitor driver, should I change to Qnix inf driver file found in this thread? I see that there are some difference in the value when I open the edit Qnix inf file and the Catleap inf file just to take a look.
It doesn't matter. They're the same except for the name. I expanded the refresh rate range on both, but that won't affect 120 Hz.

The inf files are just for making refresh rates available to games. They won't affect overclocking stability.

(08-17-2013 01:17 PM)Stylook Wrote:  By the way, when I install the CRU and put in the refresh rates, I also have the same problem with MEW2K, that in the windows screen resolution, it doesn't show all the higher refresh rate 96hz to 120hz. I don't know if this matter or not, or affect any games. But when I use the NVCP custom, the windows screen resolution under advance does show all the higher refresh rate. I am using EVGA GTX 690 gpu card. Just to inform you.
That seems like a driver bug with SLI then. I don't have an SLI setup to test with, so I don't know if there's a workaround for that.

It's possible to use both CRU and the NVIDIA control panel at the same time to make higher refresh rates available in some cases where the inf files don't help.
08-18-2013, 02:10 PM
(08-17-2013 04:13 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-17-2013 01:17 PM)Stylook Wrote:  I am not sure what should I adjust from here, the horizontal or the vertical.
Vertical total can be reduced further. I don't know how low you can go before it affects clocking down on idle with 600-series GPUs. If you don't care about that, the vertical total can be reduced to 1450 or lower with the vertical front porch and sync width set to 1.

(08-17-2013 01:17 PM)Stylook Wrote:  At present I am using Catleap monitor driver, should I change to Qnix inf driver file found in this thread? I see that there are some difference in the value when I open the edit Qnix inf file and the Catleap inf file just to take a look.
It doesn't matter. They're the same except for the name. I expanded the refresh rate range on both, but that won't affect 120 Hz.

The inf files are just for making refresh rates available to games. They won't affect overclocking stability.

(08-17-2013 01:17 PM)Stylook Wrote:  By the way, when I install the CRU and put in the refresh rates, I also have the same problem with MEW2K, that in the windows screen resolution, it doesn't show all the higher refresh rate 96hz to 120hz. I don't know if this matter or not, or affect any games. But when I use the NVCP custom, the windows screen resolution under advance does show all the higher refresh rate. I am using EVGA GTX 690 gpu card. Just to inform you.
That seems like a driver bug with SLI then. I don't have an SLI setup to test with, so I don't know if there's a workaround for that.

It's possible to use both CRU and the NVIDIA control panel at the same time to make higher refresh rates available in some cases where the inf files don't help.

Hi ToastyX, thanks will do as you advise. Thanks so much again.
08-18-2013, 04:45 PM (Last edited: 08-18-2013, 04:48 PM by MEW2K)
(08-17-2013 04:13 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  

Hi ToastyX and thanks for your efforts!

I did as you suggested and installed the X-star inf driver, but it had little effect. The strange thing is that if I reboot the computer and enter the windows monitor resolution settings, the 96/120hz settings show up in the the drop down meny, but if I start up NCP or mainly Nvidia Geforce Experience the monitor goes black for a second (just like when you install new graphic drivers, and the screen goes black/blink a few times) and the custom settings are removed from the Windows resolution settings, leaving only the 59/60hz settings in the drop down meny.

So I think that NCP/Geforce Experience somehow override/disable the set resolutions from CRU in the windows resolution settings, removing all but the standard 59/60hz alternatives, if this makes any sense what so ever?

The custom 96/120hz settings still appear in NCP tho, but there is certainly some bug messing with our GTX 690 or SLI setups in general.
08-20-2013, 09:10 AM (Last edited: 08-23-2013, 08:38 AM by bertuslakkis)
(08-17-2013 12:16 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  That's weird. Detailed resolutions are supposed to have higher priority. Normally I would define the highest resolutions as detailed resolutions, but if that causes lower resolutions to use the wrong refresh rate, then try defining the resolutions with the highest refresh rates as detailed resolutions with the highest one first. Also, make sure GPU scaling is disabled.
Detailed resolutions do add the new resolutions + refresh rate to the list, so they can be selected in windows / nvidia control panel (using GTX 580 in SLI). But as I stated if there are games where you don't have the option to select a refresh rate it just picks the lowest one (I think, not sure). If I put the same resolution + refresh rate in Standard resolutions it 'forces' the refresh rates in all instances.

So for me this would be the preferred method, however there's another thing about Standard resolution that makes this not the 'perfect' solution:
Standard resolutions can't define refresh rates higher then 123Hz ? (124Hz and up becomes red and I can't click OK to add them).
It seems to be some kind of 'hard coded' limitation, because 123Hz is allowed for all possible resolutions, my max resolution is 2048x1536 and that resolution at 123Hz is not possible for any (commercial) CRT in the world Big Grin
For example I would like to use 150Hz for the 1024x786 resolution and 160Hz for the 800x600 resolution. Is there any reason for this restriction?
(Maybe this is where Detailed resolutions would come into play for the average use case Tongue)

(08-17-2013 12:16 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  CRU uses EDID overrides, and the base EDID only has 8 slots for standard resolutions. It's possible to add more by reserving a detailed resolution slot, but CRU doesn't have that ability because it's tricky to implement and not commonly used.
Hmm ok, for my use case I would really like to see such a feature. Oh well, I can only hope & wait Smile

Another thing that might be completely unrelated to CRU is this: I've made a custom inf driver for my screens to force all lower resolutions to 100Hz (as a pre-solution until discovering CRU) when I select resolutions that are not defined in CRU but in this inf, the GPU applies scaling even though this is disabled in NV CP (driver bug? I am in contact with NVIDIA support about this issue, edit: it seems they now 'know' of it and will further it to the driver developers).
08-21-2013, 11:28 PM (Last edited: 08-21-2013, 11:38 PM by apav)
Hey guys,

So, something is definitely not right here. I seem to be having the same issue MEW2K is having 2 posts above me. My custom resolutions have been working great for me a for a while now. I even made a custom resolution in Nvidia control panel, and I was stable at 147hz through there. I keep it at 120hz though. I don't have the custom driver installed, because I used CRU to create custom resoltuions and Windows to switch between them. Using the Nvidia control panel was just a test. I updated my drivers to 326.80 recently. I have a single GTX 780.

So I updated my drivers, restarted, repatched them, re-enabled test mode, used the "reset all" program found in the CRU folder, and restarted. Now the CRU isn't working for me. I add 120hz, I restart, and as soon as I get to the desktop, I hear the driver uninstalled sound. Go to advanced settings, and I only see 59 and 60hz. If I restart again, then I can see 120hz.

If I add 147hz (just wanted to test if I can go that high in the CRU, because I can if I make a 147hz resolution in Nvidia), I restart. Remember I still am at 120hz. As soon as I get to the desktop I hear the driver uninstalled sound, and my screen flashes, sending me back to 60hz. Then in a few seconds again, it flashes, going back up to 120hz. Now I can't see any resolution above 60hz in Windows.

Edit: Just restarted again. Same sound and screen flashing twice, and then the driver installed sound. 147hz appears in my list of resolutions. When I enable it, I get a pretty decent amount of scan lines (compared to the 147hz I created in Nvidia control panel being completely stable).

I'm going to delete 147hz from the CRU and see what happens. Not sure why I have to restart twice for my resolutions to appear, and what's the deal with the accompanying screen flashes and install/uninstall sounds.

Edit again: Odd... I made 120hz, 110hz, and 96hz custom resolutions. Restarted 4 times now. They appear in the dropdown menu, but now every time my computer turns on and reaches to the desktop the screen flashes twice and I hear the uninstall sound!! I just enabled test mode thinking it was because I had it disabled, but that's not it....

It was fine before... what did I do? :X

Edit edit: Tried something else. Hope this gives us more info. I deleted the display in the CRU, restarted and created my new resolutions. Restarted again, and still get the 2 screen flashes, but when I look next to the name of my display, there's a * after it but not "(active)." If I go into device manager, there's the error sign next to my "Generic PnP Monitor," stating "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)" There's only one display listing in the drop down menu in the CRU, I don't have another one. I deleted them all and created this one.

Meanwhile, I can still change between resolutions in the Nvidia control panel (the resolutions show up there but not in the advanced monitor settings tab). I remember reading though that some games won't use Nvidia custom resolution settings, and the screen flashes are annoying, so I really want to fix the CRU.

This is just too weird.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this.
08-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Hi All,

I have a Samsung S27A850D (2560x1440) and try to overclock it. It seems that it's capable of displaying way more than 60Hz but as soon I as set the refresh rate to any value greater then 60 it looks like the monitor is dropping frames or something like that... It's like tearing or frame skipping. When I start dragging a window on my desktop it breaks the window like if the VSync is turned off and getting a high refresh rate. Or something like that. But it happens already at 61Hz and at 80Hz.

Does this mean that this monitor in reality isn't capable of displaying anything above 60Hz?

Or is there anything else I could set to fine tune the settings?

Thank you so much for your kind help!
08-22-2013, 07:22 PM (Last edited: 08-22-2013, 07:22 PM by mdrejhon)
(08-22-2013 11:22 AM)H377F13LD Wrote:  Does this mean that this monitor in reality isn't capable of displaying anything above 60Hz?
Yes, generally that means the monitor is skipping refreshes (known as frameskipping).

A good frameskipping test is http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping ... View this in a reliable browser such as Google Chrome. Follow the instructions at the top.