Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-04-2019, 10:13 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Greetings h4x0rs!

I have been trying off and on to solve this issue for probably 5 years now. I own a LG 42pt350 Plasma display which has a native resolution of 1024x768 with an aspect ratio of 16:9, which means it uses non-square pixels. I once played Deus Ex Human Revolution in this native resolution, and also can tell PotPlayer to run at this resolution and then change the aspect ratio separately for proper viewing. Unfortunately every single other game I've tried does not offer an aspect ratio choice like DXHR does, nor does Windows offer such an option, nor does AMD drivers.

If I plug the computer to the TV via analog DVI, then the screen mode is available, but via HDMI it is not. Even so, when using 1024x768, while it does render the screen at 1:1 to the display, it does not correct the pixel aspect ration and therefore everything is squashed.

Is it possible to create a custom screen for 1024x768, but with a 16:9 aspect ratio?

---

Separately, the display boasts 600Hz sub field processing, and yet when I add FreeSync using CRU, it fails. The machine does reboot fine into Windows, but when I open Windows Display Settings, it shows the screen for a moment and then the TV blanks out with the message 'invalid format'. I don't expect this screen to be able to receive variable incoming refresh, but was just curious if anyone had any thought.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2019, 06:05 PM
(03-04-2019 10:13 AM)Pathogen Wrote:  If I plug the computer to the TV via analog DVI, then the screen mode is available, but via HDMI it is not. Even so, when using 1024x768, while it does render the screen at 1:1 to the display, it does not correct the pixel aspect ration and therefore everything is squashed.

Is it possible to create a custom screen for 1024x768, but with a 16:9 aspect ratio?
Windows doesn't have a way to deal with resolutions that have non-square pixels. Have you checked if the TV will accept resolutions like 1360x768 or 1280x720?
03-04-2019, 06:06 PM
(03-03-2019 09:16 PM)myevit Wrote:  Thanks for your app. Works great.
However I have a problem with audio over HDMI, I wonder if you can help me with it.
I've got windows10 with ATI Vega 64 4K@60 -> HDMI -> Sony Bravia TV -> SPDIF -> Sonos Sounbar
I have only left channel working. Tried adding Speaker Setup in extension block, different formats, nothing helps. On other hand Apple tv works well with same tv on 4K and 5.1 audio.
According to search, I am not only one with that problem...
That doesn't seem like an EDID problem. There is nothing in the EDID that would cause only the left channel to work. Make sure the speakers are configured correctly in the Windows sound control panel.
03-05-2019, 12:19 AM
(03-04-2019 06:05 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Windows doesn't have a way to deal with resolutions that have non-square pixels. Have you checked if the TV will accept resolutions like 1360x768 or 1280x720?
Yea that is what everything pointed to over the years, it just blows my mind that it is true, so I guess I could never accept the obvious.

What I do is just send it 1920x1080 and the screen scales it down just fine. Now that I have a Vega it doesn't matter since the card can draw at that resolution easily, so I will give up officially on trying to get this to work. :-)
03-06-2019, 02:00 PM (Last edited: 03-06-2019, 02:01 PM by Deusesque)
Hi all,

Thanks ToastyX for this great app!

I have a question concerning expanding the freesync range of my LG 29UM59-P over HDMI. Let me explain my situation:
  • The standard freesync range is 45-75hz (while LG site mentions 40-75)
  • I want to bump the range to either 37-75 or 38-76 to enable Low Framerate Compensation (doubling of framerate to avoid tearing even below freesync range), which requires a 2x difference between lowest and highest frequency.
  • If i create a custom resolution of 2650*1080@37hz everything works fine, i can even go as low as 36hz.
  • However if i put my default resolution back at 75hz and my freesync range to 37-75hz, i get a black screen or "out of range" messages when FPS drops to 37hz. Even though LFC works fine below 37hz, and a range of 38-75hz also works but has no LFC.

Is there a way to allow a 37-75hz freesync range on my monitor, e.g. trough playing with the timings et cetera (which i haven't done)?
This must be possible since my monitor can easily handle a static resolution of 36 or 37 hz.

Would be super great if there is a solution for this so i have the perfect smooth gaming experience at any framerate!

System specs:
Monitor: LG 29UM59-P (only has HDMI input)
GPU: XFX RX580 w/ latest drivers
CPU: Intel i5-6500
RAM: 2x8GB corsair DDR4 @ 2100mhz
03-06-2019, 03:05 PM
(03-06-2019 02:00 PM)Deusesque Wrote:  Is there a way to allow a 37-75hz freesync range on my monitor, e.g. trough playing with the timings et cetera (which i haven't done)?
This must be possible since my monitor can easily handle a static resolution of 36 or 37 hz.
FreeSync reduces the refresh rate by delaying the next refresh, so that's not the same as setting a lower refresh rate. The monitor might not be able to handle a large enough delay to expand the range.
03-06-2019, 03:22 PM
(03-06-2019 03:05 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-06-2019 02:00 PM)Deusesque Wrote:  Is there a way to allow a 37-75hz freesync range on my monitor, e.g. trough playing with the timings et cetera (which i haven't done)?
FreeSync reduces the refresh rate by delaying the next refresh, so that's not the same as setting a lower refresh rate. The monitor might not be able to handle a large enough delay to expand the range.

Thanks for your quick reply!
Hmm i see, although i don't fully understand what the difference is between a freesync delay between the refreshes and a normal delay between refreshes when set at 37hz static.

Is there a way to trick the monitor into still working with this longer delay?

OR, is it at all possible to increase the (static) refresh rate above 75hz via HDMI? ( i've read that HDMI limits the upper bound?)
03-06-2019, 04:49 PM
(03-06-2019 03:22 PM)Deusesque Wrote:  Hmm i see, although i don't fully understand what the difference is between a freesync delay between the refreshes and a normal delay between refreshes when set at 37hz static.
The output is a stream of pixels sent at a fixed rate. The pixel clock is the number of pixels sent per second including blanking. FreeSync is like increasing the vertical blanking in CRU without changing the pixel clock. It always sends at the same rate as 75 Hz and varies the blanking to delay the next refresh. The monitor probably has a limit for how long the blanking period can be. Static 37 Hz doesn't have a delay beyond normal blanking. It just sends at a slower rate.

(03-06-2019 03:22 PM)Deusesque Wrote:  OR, is it at all possible to increase the (static) refresh rate above 75hz via HDMI? ( i've read that HDMI limits the upper bound?)
That's possible, but the monitor might not accept a higher refresh rate. There's another model, 29UM68-P, that will accept up to 80 Hz.
03-06-2019, 08:14 PM (Last edited: 03-06-2019, 08:15 PM by Deusesque)
(03-06-2019 04:49 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  The output is a stream of pixels sent at a fixed rate. The pixel clock is the number of pixels sent per second including blanking. FreeSync is like increasing the vertical blanking in CRU without changing the pixel clock. It always sends at the same rate as 75 Hz and varies the blanking to delay the next refresh. The monitor probably has a limit for how long the blanking period can be. Static 37 Hz doesn't have a delay beyond normal blanking. It just sends at a slower rate.

Appreciate the very clear explanation.
Your explanation made me thinking: what if i minimize the standard blanking so that the freesync induced extra blanking JUST falls into the range of my monitor.

And it worked! It took a lot of tweaking with basically all settings (back/front porch and sync both horizontally and vertically) and now my monitor displays 37-75hz perfectly and i have full LFC now! I only have very rare tearing if the FPS is between 37-38 (i suspect actually it's limited to a decimal range) but that is hardly noticably in practice.

So thanks a lot for your help Toasty!

For others having my monitor (LG 29UM59-P), please find below the settings that worked for me.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-06-2019, 08:56 PM (Last edited: 03-06-2019, 09:01 PM by alexander1986)

@ToastyX

hey there, i've been using your strobelight app for my asus vg248qe monitor ever since I got it in like 2012 and its really great, feels like the old CRT quake1 days almost Tongue

but anyway now I have a issue, and I believe your other app CRU can help me fix it! a bit of a long post but would appreciate the help if/whenever you have the time !

So anyway, my native desktop res is 1920x1080 @120 hz lightboost enabled, and I want to set up a custom res 1600x1080 stretched to fullscreen and have it run at 119 hz specifically for my own reasons in lightboost mode for a game im playing, the problem I have when doing this with nvidia custom resolution (im on a gtx 1060 6gb) is:

1. resolution seems fine ingame but, the monitor still reports 1920x1080 (my normal native desktop res outside of the game) on the OSD even if the resolution is clearly scaled to 1600x1080 (easy to see both at desktop when testing the res and ingame in the game im playing with the custom res) I wonder if this brings some input lag from scaling by gpu or similar if its not a "true" 1600x1080 resolution where the OSD reads 1600x1080 ? maybe not but would still like it to read 1600x1080 when I have that resolution selected, if possible !

2. I get a weird mouse cursor offset problem when using my custom 1600x1080 res in the menus of the game, I have to aim a bit to the side of the option buttons to actually select them, have been googling for all kind of solutions and tried a lot of dpi override/scaling override things without any success, however when playing the game itself instead of being in menus and aiming/shooting/interacting with objects the cursor behaves correctly so its only a menu issue as far as I can tell, but still annoying!

3. when alttabbing between the game and desktop it tabs instantly without any delay, even if the resolution is switched, again probably because its just being scaled and not truly 1600x1080 so to speak but its instead scaled from 1920x1080? I remember at some point earlier in my tweaking I was able to make it so that when alttabbing between my stretched game and native desktop it took a few seconds and screen went black between the switching, as if there was a "true" switch or how I should say, now I cant seem to get back to this state,

aswell as the mouse problem in the menus mentioned above in point 2, its strange because a couple days ago, before updating drivers and windows, I was able to have my custom stretched res in the game without any mouse cursor offset issues in the menus, aswell as when tabbing to desktop from the game it took a while to tab and screen went black, then my native 1920x1080 desktop appeared,

so anyway after a lot of unsucessful attempts of fixing the issue/going back to how it was before my updates, I found your CRU app, and tried to use that instead of nvidia driver to set up the stretched res, so when I set my stretched 1600x1080 res in CRU @ 119 hz it seems to work fine both in the game and on desktop, aswell as the OSD on monitor reading 1600x1080 instead of 1920x1080 which is great, the only problem is I have no idea how to set up lightboost enabled in CRU for this res and hz, and wonder if this is possible at all? it seems to be done automatically in nvidia somehow when strobelight is active,? in the strobelight app setup I cant select 119 hz for example as a strobed res, and I was looking at the strobelight resolutions in CRU and wondering if I should try copying the values from there to a 1600x1080 res to get a CRU lightboost 1600x1080 res, but feels risky if I dont know what the hell im doing kind of Big Grin if this is not even possible then I understand! in that worst case I would atleast like a CRU 1600x1080 120 hz lightboost res instead of 119 hz atleast, if 119hz is out of the question I mean,

puh, sorry for the long ass and probably confusing post Tongue

TL;DR would like to set up stretched 1600x1080 resolution in CRU at 119 hz with lightboost enabled for a game im playing while keeping desktop at 1920x1080 120 hz lightboost enabled, wonder if its possible and not too hard to do with CRU ?'

thanks for any feedback and no stress! cheers