Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
12-05-2019, 06:12 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
I have a FreeSync monitor with an advertised range of 48-144hz. The range limit meta-data in CRU confirms this is the case.

I am trying to use this monitor in g-sync compatible mode on an Nvidia RTX 2070. Overall it works okay, but I noticed some brightness flickering at the 60fps threshold. A little bit of troubleshooting with the OSD frame-rate display leads me to believe that the Nvidia driver is enabling LFC at 60hz/fps, and not at 48hz. This causes the monitor to oscillate between 60hz && 120hz, and presumably the panel brightness is quite a bit different between those frequencies.

I have tried both raising and lowering the min FreeSync value in CRU, but it has zero effect in my tests. This is a nuisance because a lot of games kind of assume 60fps is the sweet spot, so menus are capped right at the point that causes the most flickering.

Does anyone know if there is some trick to getting the driver to recognize the CRU FreeSync range? Alternatively feel free to just confirm that Nvidia ignores the stored range. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2019, 03:24 PM
(12-05-2019 06:12 AM)steve Wrote:  I have a FreeSync monitor with an advertised range of 48-144hz. The range limit meta-data in CRU confirms this is the case.

I am trying to use this monitor in g-sync compatible mode on an Nvidia RTX 2070. Overall it works okay, but I noticed some brightness flickering at the 60fps threshold. A little bit of troubleshooting with the OSD frame-rate display leads me to believe that the Nvidia driver is enabling LFC at 60hz/fps, and not at 48hz. This causes the monitor to oscillate between 60hz && 120hz, and presumably the panel brightness is quite a bit different between those frequencies.
What about using 120 Hz instead of 144 Hz? Then LFC should activate at 50 Hz instead. CRU doesn't have a way to control how NVIDIA handles LFC.
12-05-2019, 05:03 PM
(12-05-2019 03:24 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-05-2019 06:12 AM)steve Wrote:  I have a FreeSync monitor with an advertised range of 48-144hz. The range limit meta-data in CRU confirms this is the case.

What about using 120 Hz instead of 144 Hz? Then LFC should activate at 50 Hz instead. CRU doesn't have a way to control how NVIDIA handles LFC.

Just tried and it still seems to toggle into LFC at 60hz in the pendulum demo regardless of 120 vs 144. It doesn't want to go below the 60hz threshold for some reason. Sad

I really appreciate your validation that CRU can't control NVIDIA's LFC implementation. I've been pulling my hair out thinking I've been doing something wrong because I've seen a couple forum posts where people suggested they could manipulate G-SYNC LFC by changing the FreeSync range. Here for example.
12-05-2019, 06:52 PM
hi, i have a monitor dell alienware aw2518hf and i play cs go. In CRU I would like to add a resolution of 1024x768 240h to have display scaling instead of gpu. How much hz to choose since the resolution 1920x1080 is 239.760hz. Choose the standard or reduced ?? As I set 1024x768 240hz I have such lags not when I play because then it is ok only when I look like others are playing deathcam.
12-05-2019, 07:31 PM
Thank you for sharing this amazing tool! I managed to increase my monitor's freesync range to 57-144Hz.

I am experiencing a bug when I wake up my monitors from stand-by. The taskbar switches to my 2nd monitor and the only way to fix this is by restarting my PC. Any idea what could be going on?
12-05-2019, 11:24 PM (Last edited: 12-05-2019, 11:25 PM by ciscospirit)
Hello Everybody Smile

i am running out of order and want to ask for your help...

I have a GTX1070 and my primary display is a 4K Dell monitor with HDR and 60 Hz.

I want to mirrow this monitor to my 2 TVs (Sony XD85 and XG85).
Booth are 4K Displays with 10 bit and full HDR functionality.
The got regonized by my Windows 10 but not with 10 bpc and not with HDR.
I already used MonINFO to read out the displays and create a .INF to install it as display driver, but it didn't help...

In Nvidia Control Panel i just see this:
Desktop color depth: Highest (32-bit)
Output color depth: 8 bpc
Output color format: YCbCr420
Output dynamic range: Limited

How can i get this to work, to get there 10 pbc and RGB or YCbCr440 or 444 color format and full dynamic range?

i tried already CRU but really don't know whats the problem cause if i select the Sony display and go to extension blocks i see the CEA-861 and if i "edit" this one, i see HDMI Support and there is 4:4:4 and 10 bpc and 12 bpc enabled. also HDMI 2.0 is 10 and 12 bpc enabled....

so i really don't know why this is not working :/

Did i miss something? can anyone help me out with that?
Is this possible with the CRU Tool or do i need something else for this?
12-06-2019, 03:33 AM (Last edited: 12-06-2019, 06:46 AM by Primordiarch)
Hello. Thank you for this amazing tool.

I could enable Freesync with default AMD driver from my laptop's manufacturer (Acer) but if I updated my driver to the latest AMD driver from AMD site, the Freesync is not supported. What do I need to do to enable it?
12-06-2019, 03:28 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) [HP ProBook 450 G3 screen distortion beyond 79Hz]
Before I begin my question, I must thank you wholeheartedly for your time and effort that you spent behind this Big Grin

I am using the HP ProBook 450 G3, 17" 1366x768 TN, i5-6200u, Intel HD Graphics 520 + AMD Radeon R7 M340 variant. I have managed to overclock it to 79 Hz successfully, but as soon as I cross this threshold, the monitor produces a tad flickering and very distorted and discoloured image (although the refresh rate seems to increase). I tried using the reduced LCD option too, but to no avail Sad... Does this mean that I've kinda hit the limit my display can handle? If not, could you please beacon me to what I should do to further push the frames?

And once again, thanks for supporting this for 7 years!
12-06-2019, 10:08 PM
New to the forum. I am 68 years old and in the early stage of Alzheimers's. I have read the instructions several times and cannot retain the information to be able to ues the software. I have a Intel NUC dn2820FYK connetced to a Panasonic plasmat tv. The tv has no over scan settings so the screen is either too large or too small. Is there a video tutorial on how to use CRU? Youtube has some on overclocking monitors but none on setting custom resolutions. I know it can be done. When I first bought the NUC I found a app that let me set a custom resolution via a GUI. It had a box that represented my monitor and a red outline that you could drag to set the screen resolution. It worked fine. but I can't remember what it was called and can't follow your directions for CRU.
12-07-2019, 12:45 PM
(12-06-2019 10:08 PM)sumdumgui Wrote:  New to the forum. I am 68 years old and in the early stage of Alzheimers's. I have read the instructions several times and cannot retain the information to be able to ues the software. I have a Intel NUC dn2820FYK connetced to a Panasonic plasmat tv. The tv has no over scan settings so the screen is either too large or too small. Is there a video tutorial on how to use CRU? Youtube has some on overclocking monitors but none on setting custom resolutions. I know it can be done. When I first bought the NUC I found a app that let me set a custom resolution via a GUI. It had a box that represented my monitor and a red outline that you could drag to set the screen resolution. It worked fine. but I can't remember what it was called and can't follow your directions for CRU.
Overclocking is the same as setting custom resolutions. CRU doesn't deal with overscan. There should be an option in the Intel graphics control panel somewhere to compensate for overscan.