Custom Resolution in Windows 4960x1600
12-16-2013, 07:35 PM
Custom Resolution in Windows 4960x1600
I've been working to coble together my portrait-landscape-portait (PLP) sytem at home for gaming - 20" portrait @ 1200x1600 resolution, 30" landscape @ 2560x1600, 20" portrait @ 1200x1600 using my AMD 7950 and Windows 7.

The goal is limited functionality @ 4960x1600 resolution. Eyefinity doesn't work for mixed mode at all. But many games have configurable resolution that you can set for "windowed mode" to enable custom resolutions.

My game of choice at the moment (WoW) will only let you select a resolution that it thinks is available from your primary display. NVidia has functionality that will let you set a custom resolution option for windows. You don't have to actually set that resolution on your desktop, but it passes that option to the game where selecting 4960x1600 results in a window stretched across all 3 displays as intended. (google "WoW 20 30 20 PLP" on youtube to see examples.) Windows XP used to have similar functionality. But none of the current AMD drives seem to allow this for Win7 or 8.

I had high hopes for ToastyX's CRU, or other registry hacks, but these options seem to be limited by the monitors capabilities.
"CRU uses EDID overrides to add monitor resolutions. There's no way to make higher resolutions scale down with EDID overrides. It was never intended for that purpose.

Higher resolutions will not work unless the monitor can handle them..." -ToastyX

NVidia seems to have this figured out, so I hoping someone knows another method to trick windows 7 into thinking it has a custom resolution available (even if it's not being used).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2013, 03:40 AM
RE: Custom Resolution in Windows 4960x1600
I don't know any way to add such a large resolution with AMD cards without Eyefinity. Have you tried SoftTH?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply