Post Reply
Does AMD and Nvidia read EDID differently? I'm a total noob to monitors
10-02-2026, 11:31 AM
Post: #1
Does AMD and Nvidia read EDID differently? I'm a total noob to monitors
I discovered this forum after falling down a massive rabbit hole of monitor info and i feel like if anywhere can help solve my problem its going to be here, prior to yesterday i had no idea what EDID was/meant or any of the monitor info i've learnt.
Basically i recently upgraded my gpu from nvidia 2060 to an amd 7088 xt which is hooked up to my TCL 55C7K tv (which has freesync premium and can run 4K 144hz).
When i was running my 2060 before upgrading, if i changed my game settings to 1440p my TV would flash and the signal info up the top corner would change to 1440p 120hz, which is what i would expect but now i have my new 7800 XT when i do the same it no longer does this.
I have my desktop resolution set to 3840x2160@144hz, which it displays in the signal info.
[Image: ghr7FOkh.jpeg]

If i change the game resolution down to 1080p, the signal display changes to 1080p, which is what i would expect.
[Image: 6HF3PAIh.jpeg]

But when i change the game resolution to 1440p, the signal shows 3840x2160@60hz.
[Image: aIEjqzmh.jpeg]

With my old 2060 gpu when i selected 1440p the signal would change to 1440p. Now i seem to remember the resolution screen in nvidia control panel looked different to what is available now and it looked like this and had various resolutions catagorised. This isn't my screenshot but it looked similar with different resolutions etc.
[Image: RkfWVuE.png]
[Image: 6xJJN5t.png]

If i remeber correctly i was running my resolution selected under the TV section because it offered 4k @ 60hz but also had 1440p @ 120hz listed amongst others where as the PC section only had 4k and 1080p so i chose the TV section because it had more options.

I feel like this is where the issue is and the 7800 xt is only reading the available resolutions from the PC section in the EDID. Am i correct in what i'm thinking? If so how can i get the screen to show the correct signal when i select 1440p?
Sorry for the long post and hopefully you can understand my issue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2026, 07:15 PM
Post: #2
RE: Does AMD and Nvidia read EDID differently? I'm a total noob to monitors
I'd have to see the EDID to know what's going on. Run this and paste the edid-test.txt file here: https://www.monitortests.com/edid-test.zip
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2026, 07:50 PM (Last edited: 10-03-2026, 07:57 PM by Haunts)
Post: #3
RE: Does AMD and Nvidia read EDID differently? I'm a total noob to monitors
(10-02-2026 07:15 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I'd have to see the EDID to know what's going on. Run this and paste the edid-test.txt file here: https://www.monitortests.com/edid-test.zip

DISPLAY\TCL9653\7&371B8D0B&0&UID776 (active):
00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 50 6C 53 96 00 00 01 00
14 23 01 03 80 79 44 78 0A 34 C5 AE 4E 38 B1 25
11 50 54 21 08 00 81 40 A9 40 81 80 81 C0 A9 C0
A9 80 01 01 01 01 08 E8 00 30 F2 70 5A 80 B0 58
8A 00 B9 A8 42 00 00 1E 6F C2 00 A0 A0 A0 55 50
30 20 35 00 56 50 21 00 00 1E 00 00 00 FC 00 42
65 79 6F 6E 64 20 54 56 0A 20 20 20 00 00 00 FD
00 18 90 1F 8C 3C 00 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 01 4C
02 03 77 F0 E2 78 03 5A 61 60 66 65 76 5F 5E 5D
3F 10 22 1F 20 05 14 04 15 16 01 02 11 21 12 03
07 06 38 09 07 07 15 07 50 57 07 01 67 04 07 3D
07 C0 5F 7E 07 5F 7E 01 35 07 28 E2 00 CB 6E 03
0C 00 20 00 B8 44 25 00 80 01 02 03 04 68 D8 5D
C4 01 78 80 6F 02 E3 05 E3 01 E2 0F 1F E3 06 0F
01 83 01 00 00 E5 01 8B 84 90 01 EB 01 46 D0 00
4D 1A 96 70 5A 6F 85 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 60
02 03 2F F0 E9 2A 10 02 FF 0E 6F 08 8F 00 E9 2A
10 00 7F 07 37 04 8F 00 F6 22 02 4F 10 09 04 7F
07 17 01 57 80 2B 00 37 04 2C 00 03 00 04 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 9D
02 03 3C F0 F6 22 02 61 EE 13 04 FF 0E 4F 00 07
80 1F 00 6F 08 99 00 8B 00 07 00 F6 22 02 2F 70
05 04 7F 07 17 01 57 80 2B 00 37 04 2C 00 03 00
04 00 E9 2A 10 01 7F 07 37 04 EF 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 07

Also this is what i get when i open CRU

[Image: 5ziZ73Bl.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2026, 11:00 PM
Post: #4
RE: Does AMD and Nvidia read EDID differently? I'm a total noob to monitors
I would say that GPU Scaling in the AMD driver software is likely enabled. What happens when you turn it OFF?



[Image: 120467FFB0ED4B6AA7358DF70539CC72BA8C1AC3]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2026, 11:10 PM (Last edited: 10-03-2026, 11:11 PM by Haunts)
Post: #5
RE: Does AMD and Nvidia read EDID differently? I'm a total noob to monitors
Sadly it isn't, ive also tried turning it on as well.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2026, 06:38 PM
Post: #6
RE: Does AMD and Nvidia read EDID differently? I'm a total noob to monitors
The TV only defines 2560x1440 @ 120 Hz, so if the game is trying to use another refresh rate like 144 Hz, it would have to be scaled by the GPU, but there might be a driver or GPU limitation preventing it from scaling 2560x1440 to 3840x2160 @ 144 Hz, so it's falling back to 60 Hz. The solution would be to set the game to run at 120 Hz, but I don't see that option. I'm not sure if the frame rate option would have any effect on the refresh rate. If it just uses the desktop refresh rate, then you'd have to set the desktop to 3840x2160 @ 120 Hz.

As far as I know, the NVIDIA RTX 2060 doesn't support HDMI 2.1 and could not do 3840x2160 @ 120/144 Hz, so 120 Hz was the highest refresh rate available at 2560x1440, and no scaling was necessary.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2026, 09:59 PM
Post: #7
RE: Does AMD and Nvidia read EDID differently? I'm a total noob to monitors
That's right because when I was using the 2060 I had my desktop set to the 3840x2160 @60hz which is what the signal showed as well. But when I loaded my game that was set to 1440p @120hz my signal switched to match. With the 7800 xt I've tried setting all manor of resolutions and refresh rate combinations in game on and in the desktop settings but nothing triggers the signal. I'm at the point where I'm thinking of putting the 2060 back in just to make sure I'm not going insane.
If I try to run the game at 1440p 120hz it just goes really stuttery unless I use vsync or freesync but then its just running at the 60hz but I want to be able to run the game at higher
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Post Reply


Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)