EDID override with CRU seems not to be working ?
01-14-2019, 11:26 AM (Last edited: 01-14-2019, 11:55 AM by MisterT)
EDID override with CRU seems not to be working ?
Hey folks Smile

I am using Windows 10 with two displays connected both with displayport 1.2.
I was frustrated about that If I am turning off my monitor that all my windows moving around (mostly to primary display).
I have read EDID override is a workaround for that and found CRU tool here but it seems that CRU wont work for me ?

I have done the following:
1. Downloaded CRU.
2. Followed these instructions (I did it for both displays same way):
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...2/#5190822
3. I added these (I have a g-sync monitor): Clicked on "Edit..." next to the displays drop down menu at the top and setup the right refresh rates for both display and had activate "include if slot available under range limits.
4. Clicked ok to close CRU and executed restart64.exe (no errors and all is working fine till now).
5. Restarted windows 10 - just to be sure Wink

But then I had tested it: disabled second monitor and again... All opened windows on second monitor was moved to primary display after I re-enabled my second monitor :'(

Some info:
Windows 10 Pro (1803 - all newest updates installed) x64
NVIDIA GTX 1070 (single card)
Nvidia driver version: 417.35 (newest)
CRU version: 1.4.1

Is there something wrong or misunderstood ? Hope someone can help me out, its really frustrating :/

greetings Smile

EDIT: With this steps above I dont see any youtube videos - I hear audio but video itself is only black (I have gpu acceleration enabled).
What I have to do in CRU to watch youtube properly again with gpu acceleration enabled ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2019, 01:53 PM
RE: EDID override with CRU seems not to be working ?
That's supposed to happen. When a monitor disconnects, Windows moves the windows to another monitor so they don't get stuck on a non-existent monitor. CRU can't work around that. If your monitor disconnects when you turn it off, don't turn it off. Use sleep instead.
01-14-2019, 02:30 PM (Last edited: 01-15-2019, 02:21 PM by MisterT)
Its because on of the pins from DP cable (dunno which one), right ?

So whats about the information from geforce.com Forums ? Dont work it anymore (some people from this thread fixed it)...

From my linux people (I have 2 friends with dual monitor setups connected with displayport) both dont have such problems in any way. if they turn off one monitor no moving windows to other monitor.. So I thoought its windows problem ?

EDIT: Today, I tested sleep mode without turning off the monitor and I have the exact same issue.
EVGA got me this link after I ask them about it:
https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmview...aqid=59607
01-15-2019, 06:52 PM (Last edited: 01-15-2019, 06:55 PM by ToastyX)
(01-14-2019 02:30 PM)MisterT Wrote:  Its because on of the pins from DP cable (dunno which one), right ?

So whats about the information from geforce.com Forums ? Dont work it anymore (some people from this thread fixed it)...
I don't know what that's supposed to fix because CRU can't emulate EDIDs. CRU can only override EDIDs for connected monitors. If the monitor disconnects, then Windows behaves as if the monitor is not there and moves the windows to another monitor. If there are no other monitors, then it moves the windows to a simulated lower resolution monitor.

(01-14-2019 02:30 PM)MisterT Wrote:  From my linux people (I have 2 friends with dual monitor setups connected with displayport) both dont have such problems in any way. if they turn off one monitor no moving windows to other monitor.. So I thoought its windows problem ?
I would think that depends on the window manager or desktop environment. If the monitor disconnects and it doesn't move the windows to another monitor, then how would you access the windows on the disconnected monitor?

(01-14-2019 02:30 PM)MisterT Wrote:  EDIT: Today, I tested sleep mode without turning off the monitor and I have the exact same issue.
EVGA got me this link after I ask them about it:
https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmview...aqid=59607
I mean use monitor sleep, not computer sleep. If it disconnects with monitor sleep, then that seems like a monitor fault. I don't know what you can do about that except to use a hardware EDID emulator, but I don't know any DisplayPort ones.