Help with HTPC > Dr HDMI 4k > Sony Z9D
08-10-2022, 09:26 PM
Help with HTPC > Dr HDMI 4k > Sony Z9D
I have Windows 10 HTPC set to 4k60 with nVidia GT1660ti connected through Dr HDMI 4k into Sony XBR-65Z9D, using Cable Matters certified 48Gbps 8K HDMI Cables. I've been going back and forth with HD Fury help, but all of their suggestions have made no difference.

Good news, the following Dr HDMI 4k setting is working, holds through reboot of PC and/or turning Tv Off/On:
GREEN #5 – 4k60-420-8b-300M-HDR-BT2020-3D-FULLAUDIO

But I cannot get any of the following to work:
CUSTOM – Extract Sony EDID with MonInfo, upload into DH4K
WHITE #8 – COPY DOWNSTREAM EDID (from Sony tv)
GREEN #1 – 4k60-444-600M-HDR-BT2020-3D-FULLAUDIO
GREEN #2 – 4k60-444-600M-3D-FULLAUDIO
GREEN #3 – 4k60-420-12b-450M-HDR-BT2020-3D-FULLAUDIO
WHITE #5 – 4k60-420-12b-450M-BT2020-3D-FULLAUDIO

Some of them I initially get a picture, but for all of them, after rebooting the PC, Windows/nvidia control panel is only showing 1024x768 or 800x600, and there's a RED X on the audio device.

Would it help if I update the Windows 10 "Generic PnP Monitor" driver using an INF created from my Sony MonInfo? Anything other thoughts?

Thanks for looking

Attached File(s)
.inf  SONYZ9D EDID FA.inf (Size: 3.01 KB / Downloads: 139)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2022, 02:11 AM
RE: Help with HTPC > Dr HDMI 4k > Sony Z9D
(08-10-2022 09:26 PM)tzr916 Wrote:  Good news, the following Dr HDMI 4k setting is working, holds through reboot of PC and/or turning Tv Off/On:
GREEN #5 – 4k60-420-8b-300M-HDR-BT2020-3D-FULLAUDIO
That implies that you're limited to HDMI 1.x for some reason. What are you using Dr HDMI for? Does the TV work correctly when connected directly to the video card?
08-11-2022, 03:00 AM
Using it to trick the PC into thinking the main monitor (sony tv) is always active when powering Tv Off, so that full screen theater mode media center does not shift to other monitors.

Yes, I get 8bit RGB 4K60 when Dr HDMI 4k is not connected.

HDR and DolbyVision work perfectly using all external equipment like nVidia Shield Pro, Sony UBPX700, Roku, FireTv, Comcast 4k cable box.
08-24-2022, 04:21 PM
Please read more details about my issue:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.p...872.0.html
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.p...715.0.html

As you can see, I have put the Dr HDMI 4k aside, and tried the MDK monitor detect killer device, but still get "no signal" on the Tv when I power the AVR Off/On. But I can restore picture on the tv by remote desktop into the machine and toggle the refresh rate 59/60 or 60/59. So I am stuck leaving my AVR On 24/7.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
08-26-2022, 10:21 PM
Well first, the video window not displaying correctly is purely a software issue, not an HDMI issue like they're suggesting. The media player needs to handle display change messages and adjust the window accordingly.

Second, you didn't mention the AVR in the original post. It sounds like the AVR might have issues handling an existing video signal when turning on, so it doesn't pass anything through until after the signal changes, such as when changing the resolution or refresh rate.

I have three ideas to work around the window size/position issue with the AVR+TV connected directly to the GPU:

1. Use either the Dr HDMI or the MDK to add a dummy monitor with the correct resolution with nothing attached. Then use the Windows display settings to clone the AVR+TV with the dummy monitor. Then when the AVR disconnects, the desktop layout should stay the same because of the cloned dummy monitor.

2. See if this program can automatically restore the window layout when the AVR+TV reconnects: https://github.com/kangyu-california/PersistentWindows

3. Use AutoSizer to resize/reposition the video window. You will have to set a hotkey and manually press it when the AVR+TV reconnects. There might be other programs that can do something similar.
08-26-2022, 10:48 PM
I agree it may be something in the Jriver software because I had been running this two monitor with AVR system for years without issue. I don't know if things went FUBAR when I had to replace the second monitor, or if Jriver made some internal changes.

Anyways, I will look into Persistent Windows and AutoSizer. I am also quite curious how the dummy monitor option works exactly. Can you explain the physical connections? Is there an actual dummy monitor hardware device involved? How does one use the Windows display settings to clone the AVR+TV with the dummy monitor?

Thank you so much for the ideas and assistance!
08-26-2022, 10:57 PM
(08-26-2022 10:48 PM)tzr916 Wrote:  Anyways, I will look into Persistent Windows and AutoSizer. I am also quite curious how the dummy monitor option works exactly. Can you explain the physical connections? Is there an actual dummy monitor hardware device involved? How does one use the Windows display settings to clone the AVR+TV with the dummy monitor?
Just connect the Dr HDMI or MDK to the GPU without a monitor attached. That should show up as another display. The Windows display settings lets you duplicate two displays so it appears as one display with both monitors receiving the same image.
08-26-2022, 11:16 PM
Oh I see what you mean. My GT1660ti has only has 1x DVI + 1x HDMI + 1x Display Port. Guess I could try a Display Port to HDMI adapter. Or, I do have a spare GT710 with HDMI, but not sure if it's capable of 4k. I'll check it out, see what happens. Thank you
08-28-2022, 10:01 PM (Last edited: 08-29-2022, 01:26 PM by tzr916)
I tried the duplicate display method - ran a second hdmi cable from onboard intel hd 630 graphics through MDK directly to another input on the Sony tv, set windows display to duplicate mode both running 4k. Unfortunately the intel hd 630 doesn't do HDR, which prohibits HDR entirely, ruling this method out as a viable solution. And more importantly, it did not solve the issue when power AVR Off/On, Jriver MC Theater View program resizes / improper blanking when playing video (still shows a box in the top left corner of the screen for a few seconds before video starts).

So I've resorted to a workaround - program extra commands in my harmony remote to change Jriver MC to Standard View and back to Theater View whenever powering the AVR+Tv On. Not as elegant as I would like, but it works without any extra devices.